Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading my my my baby

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:14 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
Ps When looking at the bottom pic now, I see my wedding ring is in the pic as well, I took it of to prevent scratching the mirrors while assembling them so now both my wife and my girlfriend are represented in the same pic. LOL
er...im not sure whether i should or lol.

anyway, hotttt carr..in case i come to SA any time soon im driving it kkk?
Old 07-19-2008, 06:54 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
er...im not sure whether i should or lol.

anyway, hotttt carr..in case i come to SA any time soon im driving it kkk?
It would be gr8 to meet a fellow lister, around here we are few and far between.

Johan
Old 07-26-2008, 02:59 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

At long last I got the clear indicators and repeaters as well as the 968 doorhandles and mirrors fitted, here's a few pics.

Now if only the rest of the wood kit would arrive, I must admit its my own fault its not here yet. I was away on holiday and did not reply to Jageng's e-mail asking confirmation on some other stuff I ordered so the kit has been ready for shipping for some time. Hopefully in the next month..................

Meantime tomorrow is my first club event with the red car, a show and shine no less - hold your thumbs for me we'll see what happen.

Johan
Ps I'm still struggling with the overheating and coolant loss but more on that later.
Attached Images      
Old 07-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car is AMAZING! Good job.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:56 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
Ps I'm still struggling with the overheating and coolant loss but more on that later.
Hi Johan,

I recently solved some long standing overheating and coolant loss issues by replacing the overflow tank cap. I'd done a bunch of work a couple of years ago, including an extensive cooling system overhaul and had of course replaced the cap. Silly me. I bought the correct Behr cap and all is well. Cheap, easy and worth a try for you.

Oh, and of course the car looks great!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:55 PM
PennyWise
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good.... very good..
Old 08-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Viperns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you get yours to sit down in? Mine sticks out about a 1/2 an inch. still looks somewhat good in there though.

Unit is an avic d2.

I did have to modify the metal piece like you did. I just took mine completely out. Also had to trim out the middle part between the 2 dins.

Exceptional car btw.

pic:

Old 08-11-2008, 06:17 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Viperns;5691917]How did you get yours to sit down in? Mine sticks out about a 1/2 an inch. still looks somewhat good in there though.

Unit is an avic d2.

I did have to modify the metal piece like you did. I just took mine completely out. Also had to trim out the middle part between the 2 dins.

Exceptional car btw.

Thanks and wow, I did not realize the fit was that tight, my head-unit has a step of about half an inch at the back meaning the bottom half need less space than the top halve.

By the way your installation look great, I'm sure no one but you would even notice the problem.

Johan
Old 08-11-2008, 04:15 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

I'm still struggling with the overheating problem, I have replaced the temp sender unit, the fan temp switch, the radiator cap, reservoir and the one electric fan.

I'm now in the process of replacing the radiator, the thermostat and the rubber seal behind the thermostat (which was totally busted and just about disintegrated).

I also blocked off the heater due to a coolant leak on the bend just before the pipe join the heater core. I will attend to that as soon as I get the temp under control.

The more time I spend working on this car the more jealous I become about it, I seriously doubt I'll ever let anyone else work on it again, I figure with the right tool and Rennlist behind me there's nothing I can't fix myself.

Johan
Old 08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

The red car is going to be the death of you.... True words spoken by Penny-wise.

If I did not consider this car as a hobby instead of a vehicle it would have driven me crazy a long time ago!!

First thing this morning my Jageng replacement kit arrived from Canada next thing I got a call from Porsche the rubbers for mounting the radiator arrived, I had a crazy day ahead of me but they even agreed to deliver it to my door.

Wonderful tonight I can at long last complete my work and tomorrow I can drive my baby ................... well almost, please tell me its not true!! but it is Jageng made another mistake, the kit is beautiful and this time it is a right-hand drive kit BUT instead of deleting the lighter hole, they deleted the hole for the glove-box ****! They are so friendly and helpful I actually feel sorry for them. Like it is being discussed on another thread shipping to and from Canada is ridiculously expensive.

I fitted the rest of the stuff and it look fantastic, OK so I'll fit the radiator, at least I can still drive the car tomorrow! But wait there is no way this radiator is going to fit in that cradle its at least 15mm too tall.
I'll have to take it back tomorrow and have it modified which mean another three to four days!!!

I suppose all of this will make me appreciate my baby that much more once she's completed.

I have to say the smell of the new leather is fantastic after she stood closed for the last week or so.
Attached Images   
Old 08-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks REALLY good! Nice and classy.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:52 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

I got the radiator back and this time ita an easy fit.

Almost there mow put back the coolant pipes, but wait ............ what happened to the top pipe, its all pitted on the inside?
I can't use this, its bound to leak, if not now, then some time in future - someplace far from home.

Luckily Porsche does have one in stock so now I'm of to go fetch it some 120km round-trip for a pipe!
Attached Images  

Last edited by JohanvdWalt; 08-23-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:35 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Opinions please..........
I like the badge on my silver car so when I ordered some stuff from Jageng I included the 968 type letters, now I'm not sure ............. what do you guys think?

I just stuck it on there with prestic to see what it look like.
Attached Images     
Old 08-28-2008, 01:46 PM
rickb20
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default nice

I like the style of letters/numerals.

If you work a bit more on their alignment they could look good. For instance, I think it would look better if the bottom line of the 4's were parallel to the bottom edge of the trim piece. At least apply the bottom line of the 4's so that they are perfectly aligned with one another. You may even want to draw some guide lines with a grease pencil when you get ready to adhere them permanently.

The S2 somehow looks larger than the 944. It's probably due to the focal length of your camera lens.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:48 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the original better.

I don't care for the woodgrain on the steering wheel though....sorry man. Otherwise, paint finish looks wet and glossy!

Quick Reply: Upgrading my my my baby