Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading my my my baby

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:44 PM
PennyWise
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking very slick..... hope you fix the heating issue soon....
Old 06-03-2008, 04:48 PM
beemreatr
Instructor

Please more on the window fix. I have the slow roll on my cab as well. I cleaned the switch to no avail.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:39 PM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Wow Johan, that's quite a trick interior, and I don't say that about anything!

Last edited by GloriaRedStang; 06-03-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:50 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Johan,

Wow. It is great to see another cab getting back into glorious condition-I have to put my head down. In the US there were about 2,300 cabs imported and I am always amazed at how few I ever see...at PCA events I even get people asking what it is. I have to Imagine that there are very few in South Africa. The $ you are spending is well worth it from the point of having a unique car that is in amazing condition...great job!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:14 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kinda $ did you pay for that car? it was what I'd say is mint to start with! gotta be very rare in SA.

great posts, BTW!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks guys it sooo nice to hear someone else appreciate your work.

They are very scarce around here I've only seen seven, (including my two). I've been told there are only two turbo cabs in the country and I've been offered one but it was in such a bad state I had to decline.

Since they are so scarce they are also expensive the red car was for sale for USD 21300 I offered the guy USD 16000 and after some quibbling he accepted. S2 coupe's go for USD 12000 around here.

Interesting I used it for the firs time yesterday and when I came out of the shop there was a guy admiring it, when I walked up to the car he (I guess around 55 years of age) said to me this new Porsche is a beautiful car, the lines are amazing not like those old Porsche's you see around from time to time. I just thanked him and drove off smiling.

Johan

Last edited by JohanvdWalt; 06-04-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:59 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

I started a separate thread on the windows in order to make it easier in future for others to find with the search feature.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...71#post5477471
Old 06-06-2008, 03:51 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

I really thought I would be able to take it to the track for some fun tomorrow but no such luck, I still struggle with the overheating problem!!!

I replaced the defective fan, the suspect relay and then found the the temp sender unit is also not working right, it only activated the high speed fan at the higher temp the low speed fan at 65deg did not work so I replaced the sender unit. Now the fan come on at the right temp, bring the temp down and then turn off again (in a matter of seconds) - that is if you measure the temp of the radiator.

According to the temp guage the fan only turns on when the needle reach the higher white line and then bring the temp down to just below it before it turns the fan of again. I suspect either the waterpump or the thermostat it might even be the guage - the red light came on once or twice but the water never actually boiled. Since the radiator is cooled down so quickly bur the engine stays hot I believe it must be a circulation problem.

Anyway it seem the PO did not tell me everything there was to tell

Johan
Old 06-06-2008, 04:03 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Johan,

Sorry to hear of your hassles. How confident are you that you got the cooling system bleed completely? The way you describe the rapid changes in temperature would tend to make me think you have some air trapped in there. One giveaway is if turning on the heater full blast causes the temp to drop rapidly.

Lots of threads on bleeding but the basic idea is to get the front of the car up in the air so as to make the bleed screw the highest point. I've had good luck with a pressure bleeder but you can also just run it and get all the bubbles out.

Anyway, hope that helps and keep us posted.

Cheers!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:12 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Overheating solved, I swapped the temp sender unit with that of the silver car and .............................. its perfect. On the open road the needle sit exactly halfway, in town it goes up to just above halfway, the fans come on, it move down to just below halfway and stays there.

Johan
Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Talking about a bottomless pit, I just had an email from Jageng their normal shipping company does not ship to South Africa, the company that does charge $220 instead of the quoted $60 so I decided if shipping is that much make it worth wile so I added tapped cover lettering, the 944S2 lettering for the back (like my silver car).

I replaced the brown radiator reservoir which caused the windshield washer reservoir to look bad so I replaced that too ................... now the brake fluid reservoir does not look nice anymore yet another $150.
Then I'll have to have the tappet cover re-powder coated before adding the red lettering to it.

Before and after reservoir changes and hours of cleaning.
Note how the good looking brake fluid reservoir become brown once the others have been replaced.
Attached Images    

Last edited by JohanvdWalt; 06-09-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 AM
PennyWise
Racer

Johan.. pm sent...
Old 06-14-2008, 01:31 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Like you probably saw on previous pics like the last one the paint is really dull when you get up close. Well today I started the Maguiares three step proses. I did step 1 on part of the car and as you can see the difference is already amazing. It was a huge amount of sweat and elbow grease but certainly worth it.

I can only imagine what it is going to look like after the third step, which will unfortunately take a week or more.

Johan
Attached Images   
Old 06-16-2008, 02:59 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

I'm still in the proses of fixing the paint but I couldn't wait to take some pic's in the mean time.

I got the 968 mirrors, comp chip and clear indicators today (thanks Penny-wise) and I received an email, the Jageng stuff is at customs and should arrive shortly - that is the blue Led kit, the ALU door posts, the ALU buttons, the sticker kit for other buttons and the 944 S2 badge (I like it on the silver car so why not?) and the red letters for the tappet cover which still need to be powder coated!

I can't wait for the Porsche-shop stuff especially the 968 door handles since I now have the mirrors and I need to send it to the panel shop together to get painted!!

Johan
Attached Images               
Old 06-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

That is such a beautiful car. There are no words to explain the beauty of this beauty.

What a beauty!

Quick Reply: Upgrading my my my baby