Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading my my my baby

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008 | 07:08 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Then after a long hard day, most off which was spend on planing and figuring out where to put the wiring, the dash was reinstalled last night.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2008 | 11:20 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

This is what she look like now, still struggling with the central locking, I can get it to lock from the driver door now but anywhere else it just cycle continuous so I suspect the driver door micro switch, will look into it tonight. I got a full test procedure on the W/S Manual so if all else fail
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2008 | 03:39 PM
420WHP944
Pro

Looking very tasty....It'll be a beautiful car when finished.
Old 05-19-2008 | 03:47 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

I just solved the problem with the central locking system which continuously cycled when trying to lock the car, It took me long enough!!

Tomorrow I can fit the window closer, key-less entry and ICE wiring.

I just discovered that the steering-wheel needs replacement, the buttons where the horn attach to it is broken!

Johan
Old 05-25-2008 | 04:19 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

After days and weeks of slaving away at getting everything in perfect order and all the wiring done at tong last I could put some of it back together.

Wiring from engine compartment to cabin, + feed and Laser scrambler.
From Cabin to boot Laser scrambler, amp remote, reverse camera, RCA's for amp and camera, reverse power feed for radio, power feed from remote receiver to boot release motor, USB.
In cabin: Remote receiver install and wiring to central locking. Install window closer unit and connect to remote receiver and to window motors.
Install and connect laser scrambler. Install rear speakers. I bought original Porsche speakers for the front they are expensive crap!!! I'll look for something else next week.

I had the boot side carpets fixed with some new material attached at the top to get the right fit instead instead of the silicone that the PO used to attach everything from the carpets to the speaker covers, some switches and even the hooter!

Here are some pics.

Well I tried, Rennlist seem a little bit slow today???
Attached Images       

Last edited by JohanvdWalt; 05-25-2008 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2008 | 11:59 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Wiring for and pic of: remote boot open, rear view camera and rear facing laser scrambler.
Attached Images   
Old 05-26-2008 | 12:53 PM
PennyWise
Racer

looking good... The rear seat leather looks a bit loose, will it tighten over time.... ? I definately like the Tan on Red better than the back on Red....
Old 05-26-2008 | 01:07 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PennyWise
looking good... The rear seat leather looks a bit loose, will it tighten over time.... ? I definately like the Tan on Red better than the back on Red....
I'm not sure, what I can tell you though is it will be fixed one way or another. Apparently it can be shrunk by heating it.

Johan

Last edited by JohanvdWalt; 05-26-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2008 | 01:30 PM
420WHP944
Pro

[QUOTE=JohanvdWalt;5447043 Apparently it can be shrunk by heating it.[/QUOTE]

The leather would need to be moistened sufficiently and then heated to a certain degree for it to shrink...heat alone wont do jack for it.
Old 05-26-2008 | 01:38 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 420WHP944
The leather would need to be moistened sufficiently and then heated to a certain degree for it to shrink...heat alone wont do jack for it.
Thanks for the info, I'll take it back to the shop that did the job to sort it, the driver seat was not right and they told me they heated it to fix it. I suppose they did not tell me the whole story.
Old 05-28-2008 | 04:18 PM
rickb20
Pro

Default whoa...

What kind of screen will you view that camera on? You must be doing some kind of wild stereo system?

And tell us more about that laser scrambler. Are you integrating the laser/radar indicators in the cab to look stock? I would expect nothing less from a perfectionist like you. I admire you.
Old 05-28-2008 | 04:42 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rickb20
What kind of screen will you view that camera on? You must be doing some kind of wild stereo system?

And tell us more about that laser scrambler. Are you integrating the laser/radar indicators in the cab to look stock? I would expect nothing less from a perfectionist like you. I admire you.
Gee thanks Rick I never thought I would get a comment like that.

The sound system was one of the most difficult decisions, I want it to be able to handle blue-tooth, Ipod, Gps and reverse camera. My choice fell on the Panasonic 6505N and it should be delivered with hub, BT and Ipod adapter tomorrow unfortunately the Garmin unit is out of stock at the moment but it will follow soon. This unit has a nice feature in that it automatically switch view to the camera when you put the car in reverse.

I struggled to find 6 x 4 speakers so I ordered the OE items from the stealership but boy are they junk, there goes another USD100 down the drain.

Fortunately they do not use radar in SA so I only need the Laser scrambler, I tried various positions for the display unit but I'm still not sure where I'll put it, at the moment I consider behind the dash, the unit I use have a remote button so you do not need to fit it in sight.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2008 | 05:00 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Almost there, I hope to finish the Ice install tomorrow except for the Garmin unit which is currently out of stock.
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2008 | 02:42 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Some more pics
Attached Images    
Old 06-03-2008 | 02:56 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

And after all the loving care .................. today she thanks me bu overheating. I fitted a new expansion-tank (it looks so nice) and did not bleed the system properly, I bleeded it after she overheated but the problem persist so after some investigation I found the fans does not come on at high speed. I swapped the relay with my other car, no difference. There is no + power at the fan, I used a loose wire and found the one fan's bearing is ruff the fan run intermittently and the wire got hot so I assume the fan packed up created a huge resistance and caused the wire to fail. I'm getting a new fan and will install a new wire from the relay to the fan.
The fan is incredibly expensive!!

Fortunately I solved the slow windows without replacing anything. I took everything out and cleaned it, re-greased it and put it back. Everything back to normal speed, I could not believe that the little dirt that was in there could cause the problem so I fiddled with it some more and it soon was back to the very very slow speed. I the found that by adjusting the motor and winding mechanism as well as the angle of the small window (cab) I got different speeds so the problem was adjustment and not dirt. I then adjusted the driver side without cleaning it and got it up to a decent speed too.

Wonderful I saved a bucket-load the motors go for ZAR3750 that is USD500 each ............................... till the fan packed up!

Quick Reply: Upgrading my my my baby