Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading my my my baby

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:11 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The side window to roof seal seems to be a problem on many cabs including my new baby. The wind-noise is frustrating but the water leakage driving in the rain is a pain in the ............
Like many before me I decided to replace the seals BUT they are ridiculously expensive so I came up with another plan.

I carefully split the seal right in the spot it was joint in the factory and tried various items but in the end a gas pipe seam to be the best, I used some Q20 and just slided the pipe right to the end. Now just short piece to the other side, then reseal it with some silicone or super-glue after I cleaned the left over Q20 with some thinners or alcohol and the job's done.
Attached Images    
Old 11-14-2008, 03:10 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Me and my baby's first trackday. Pics by pro photographer, I'm not sure I like the effect?
Oops I should refit the front valance the poor car look terrible without it!

Oh the trackday was so much fun, in the second round I ended up in the wrong class - there was this brand new GT3, I sat on its tail for five laps when the guy gave up and let me pass. Two corners later I was gone and did not see him again. In every straight he pulled out a huge lead and two corners later I was right back on his tail again. I don't think he'll be as proud of the video my friend took as I am? I've just got to figure out how to post it here. A bit unstable but good enough to upset the 911 guys. lol
Who knows if I drove a car that expensive maybe I would be just as scared to push it.
Attached Images    

Last edited by JohanvdWalt; 11-14-2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:09 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Talking

Wow, the last bit from Jagaeng arrived ............................... at last!
Something went seriously wrong with the shipping of this piece, the date-stamp on the package confirm Veronique's telling me she shipped it on 15 October 2008, took three months to reach me!!

Guess what I'll be doing this Saturday?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:50 AM
PennyWise
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That took a while. Is this the dash piece that you orginally ordered?

And.... does your gas pipe hack work on the roof/window seal?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:15 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Congratulations, I was wondering recently if you'd ever gotten the last few pieces. It's been 8 months since you started this thread, your patience is to be commended!

Looking forward to the finished pictures
Old 01-24-2009, 01:48 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Yes that is the last outstanding piece for the dash and yes it was terribly frustrating to wait, so I bought myself a little something to keep me busy in the meantime. How did this happen well .................. its actually a long story.

About a month after selling my silver cab I saw it in the auto-trader, I worried that there might be something wrong with it and the new owner might think I cheated him so I phoned him. He assured me there was nothing wrong with the car it was just not what he wanted so he traded it in on a S500........ tell me a bit more about the S500 was not what I should have said!

Less than a month later this lady (the merc - not my wive of 21 years in front of it) crossed my path and I could not resist, the pic was taken after many hours of detailing.
What a magnificent beast, It remind me soooo much about my 928S4 with the difference that there is space for the whole family.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2009, 06:22 AM
Marcquito
No, not Mosquito!
Rennlist Member

Location: Gliese 581g | Monte-Carlo, Côte d’Azur, La Planète Terre

Originally Posted by JohanvdWalt
Yes that is the last outstanding piece for the dash and yes it was terribly frustrating to wait, so I bought myself a little something to keep me busy in the meantime. How did this happen well .................. its actually a long story.

About a month after selling my silver cab I saw it in the auto-trader, I worried that there might be something wrong with it and the new owner might think I cheated him so I phoned him. He assured me there was nothing wrong with the car it was just not what he wanted so he traded it in on a S500........ tell me a bit more about the S500 was not what I should have said!

Less than a month later this lady (the merc - not my wive of 21 years in front of it) crossed my path and I could not resist, the pic was taken after many hours of detailing.
What a magnificent beast, It remind me soooo much about my 928S4 with the difference that there is space for the whole family.
Great story and car! Throw some AMG Monobloc wheels on it.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:10 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well done on both ladies
Old 01-24-2009, 12:41 PM
wolfie308
Intermediate

Hi Johan,

I'm a very infrequent visitor to the site, and this is the first ime I've seen your thread. Can only add to what others have said by saying how delicious it's looking. Only one thing.......what about the clear rear turns I sent you ages back? This is what they look like on mine which should give you a pretty good idea. The lenses are fitted to my original clusters which are near 20 years old.

Best Regards,

Richard

Old 01-25-2009, 01:10 AM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Question Clear taillights?

I just can't make up my mind on the clear taillights, it look great on pics but my concern is that it will not match the 18 year old reverse lights right next to them and even if they do - will they still in three years time?

How do you other listers feel about this?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:36 PM
wolfie308
Intermediate

Johan,

In the absence of any other input, I feel able to comment as I've probably done more of these rear conversions than anyone else. Here's the last one I did...

If you look at the reflector of the reverse lens you will find it is bright chromed, whereas the reflector for the indicator lens is a dull silver. For this reason, I use a bright metallic/chrome spray to effect a close match.

I've had them fitted to my car for over 4 years during which time it's lived entirely outside subject to British extremes of +30 to -10 deg C and they still look as good.

The secret is getting a watertight seal without a messy glue line round the edge.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:16 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Johan...from that pic of your wife...she sure doesn't look like she's old enough to have been married 21 years!

Oh, as far as the tail lights go...why not just buy brand new ones?
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harrisonrick
Johan...from that pic of your wife...she sure doesn't look like she's old enough to have been married 21 years!

Oh, as far as the tail lights go...why not just buy brand new ones?
Thanks for the compliment on my wife ................ some guys know how to pick them, me ..... well I was just lucky.

The new tail lights sound like a great idea, think I'll phone for a price tomorrow. Those clear lenses does look wonderful doesn't it.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:26 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

When do we get to see pictures of the interior with ALL of the pieces present????
Old 02-04-2009, 02:31 PM
JohanvdWalt
Burning Brakes

Talking

Mmmm, I'll have to make a plan. The Merc is keeping me busy at the moment while my baby is sleeping under a car cover in the garage!

Quick Reply: Upgrading my my my baby