Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:29 AM
GloriaRedStang
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name: Ben
Job: criminal defense attorney and partner in a law firm (www.hsi-law.com), also father, husband, son, and brother

hobbies: Surfing, paddling long distance outrigger canoes, hunting, playing music (guitar & drums), punk rock music, and collecting watches

Porsche: I've always been a car-geek. Restoring vintage mustangs, mostly, and driving some of my dad's hot German sports sedans (merc, audi, BMW). I knew at some point I'd own a sports car. I've coveted many. Just before I turned 40 last year, I had already warned my wife that I might do something nutty. Surprisingly, she was cool with it. I had a bit of $$$ saved up, but not too much. I looked into 3rd gen RX-7s, which was the hot car when I was in law school (and the car I thought I'd buy when I passed the bar), also the 300Z, and even vintage Datsun Zs. When I learned that 944s and 928s were within my price range, I stopped browsing and started seriously searching. Maybe someday I'll "graduate" to a 911, who knows, but right now I love the hell out of my 944 and so do my wife and 4 y.o. son.

I found this forum after much research. This forum has been instrumental in helping me confidently buy my 1984 n/a. If you'll excuse me, I'm now going to become a paying member.

Aloha and see you soon.

Last edited by GloriaRedStang; 03-11-2008 at 05:31 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 08-15-2008, 12:30 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again - Lot's of new guys!
Old 08-15-2008, 07:44 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
Again - Lot's of new guys!
Okay, I'll start

Name: Devon Oslund

Age: You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.

Occupation: Software Engineer, mostly freelance (I love my freedom!).

Non-Porsche Hobbies: Gourmet cooking, martial arts (practicing and teaching), spending too much time in the gym.

Got involved in Porsches via:
I wanted a daily driver with some style, loved the look of the 944s, and couldn't believe how cheap they were.

Now I'm hooked, and saving for a new Cayman (still going to keep the 944, though).

Car: Mongo's old 944. Sort of an anti-lemon: pristine, reliable, and with a few well-chosen mods, almost as powerful as a 951. He did an amazing job with it.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New and old here....Long time Rennlist member. Member since 1998...wow.

Name - Chad Austin
Age - 36
Occupation - Owner of a Creative Services Group / Creative Director
Location - Atlanta, GA

Got involved with Porsches - when a buddy of mine invited me to come to an SCCA AutoX. And I promptly beat him in his own car.

Car - Numerous over the years. But my lust for the track has turned me back to 944's. I currently have a 1989 944 S2 that is in the midst of a full track prep conversion.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Cfiles0920
Instructor

Name: Chad Files

Non Porsche Hobbies: Anything that has to do with the beach, studying.......

Porsche Genesis: My best friends dad had a beautiful 944 and i just fell in love with it. I saw an ad on autotrader about 3 years later for "Argento". I then got to know the car and its 3.0 swap very well over the next two weeks. Finally I went and met Matt O. and bought the car that day.....and im still in love with it.

How I heard about Rennlist: Matt O. told me when i bought the car to come here for any question I could ever think of, and he was pretty much right. Now every time I get on the computer, Rennlist is the first place i go....and usually spend an abnormal amount of time here.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:10 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Name: Jimmy

Hobbies: Basketball, building things car and non-car related, reading (primarily studying for the GMAT)

Porsche Genesis: I saw my first Porsche (a 944) when I lived in Hawaii and I promised myself I would get one when I could afford it. After I graduated from college, I read up on the good and bad of this car for 2 years before I stumbled upon my 89 black 944. Bought it from an elderly gentleman who worked for Jetblue's IT department at Oakland Airport.

How I found Out About Rennlist: Stumbled upon Rennlist from Autobahn.com (is that site still up?).
Old 08-15-2008, 02:22 PM
rudevr6
Instructor

i'm a newb here, but not on vwvortex.

name: pat cavanaugh

non-porsche interests: cooking, beer drinking, formula 1, VW's, underground music

porsche genesis: been racing VW's for alot of years, mainly in the SCCA STS class. ran an 84 GTI, 86 GTI 16v, Jetta VR6 (daily driver). for the last 5 years i have been collecting parts to build an ITB scirocco--i had considered selling all my VW stuff to join the rear wheel drive group and buy a 944, but i found a clean scirocco and started to build. year and half later a friend bought a 944, needed lots of bodywork, but well documented. his plan was to fix and race-- but fate brought him another child and he felt the need to liquidate.

he sold me his 84 944 for 1500, i couldn't NOT buy it! i sold the scirocco, and here i am starting all over. i was starting to regret my decision, until i drove the 944 back home! i wanted rear wheel drive, but to stay in VW family. my kids love the car! and both the 15yearold daughter and the 6year old son look forward to driving it!

the 944 is painted, i hadda install a new rear quarter, and it needs some suspesion upgrades, but i'm up and moving, looking forward to autocross and HPDevents. I plan to build this car to IT specs-- but still street it when i wanna!

current stable:
STS Jetta VR6
99 VW Eurovan
84 944 NA

Last edited by rudevr6; 08-15-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 PM
Joe944
Racer

Name: Hmmm... think really hard about this one. I know, I'm creative.

Occupation: Hopefully a lab technician at Juniper Networks, but I have plans to go to law school.

Hobbies: Cars mainly, hanging out with buddies drinking beers and roasting bowls.

Porsche Genesis: Was looking for a car to buy during High School and wanted something sporty yet with style and once I saw the 944 I was hooked. Researched them for a while and bought a 1985.5 grey on black 944. Been a rocky history with the car though because I ended up slipping the belt somehow and bent 4 exhaust valves right before college.

I worked on the car intermittently throughout school but took a while to get it done. Ended up pulling the head and had four new exhaust valves put it in addition to having the head machined and shaved a bit. Did all new oil seals except for the ones on the back plus new water pump, timing belt and pulleys. New alternator, power steering rack (don't ask why I needed this).

Unfortunate thing about all this is that the paint was ruined due to neighbors doing construction nearby covering my car with sawdust when I was away. Not like it mattered though considering about 6 months ago I had a grandma in an SUV back up into me when I was stuck in traffic. Crunched my passenger side front fender just a tad. So now I've got a pretty beaten up looking 944 with a decent interior but needs new seats for sure.

I've got some plans for it though. Doing suspension work right now because it's all old, and future plans involve lots of fiberglass (turbo front end!) and an Eaton M90.

How I found Out About Rennlist: Saw a link on Pelican Bay a loong time ago. I lurked for at least a year before making an account.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cfiles0920
Name: Chad Files

Non Porsche Hobbies: Anything that has to do with the beach, studying.......

Porsche Genesis: My best friends dad had a beautiful 944 and i just fell in love with it. I saw an ad on autotrader about 3 years later for "Argento". I then got to know the car and its 3.0 swap very well over the next two weeks. Finally I went and met Matt O. and bought the car that day.....and im still in love with it.

How I heard about Rennlist: Matt O. told me when i bought the car to come here for any question I could ever think of, and he was pretty much right. Now every time I get on the computer, Rennlist is the first place i go....and usually spend an abnormal amount of time here.
Chad - Nice to see we have a recycled car and a new member!

Cory
Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 PM
thomcat00
AutoX

Name: Thom
Hobbies: organic farming, music (electric bass, classical guitar) and now it's all about the kids (and reliving my childhood): Legos, model rocketry, cars
Porsche Genesis: I've been into cars since the single digit years. Saw my first Porsche at a car show - it was a newish 911 turbo - about 1977-78 and became hotly interested. Almost bought a 924 during high school; a good friend drove a then-new 1985 944. Acquired my 951 through an estate sale about 10 years ago. It's almost completely stock, running, and in decent condition. It's my daily driver in the fairer months.
Rennlist: Came across Rennlist back in the days of the email list before I got my car. Got sidetracked with new work duties, kids and buying a house before joining the web forum and have lurked here for years. I don't know much about repairs so I haven't contributed much. About time I get more active here!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Welcome Thom!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 PM
chad951
Advanced

Default New guy (sort of)

Greetings,

I was a rennlist member way back but have never frequented the boards. I have owned a few 944/968 cars since 1995. Honestly, I lost interest in my Porsches years ago and have traveled down many different paths since but I never sold my cars. My passion in my Porsches was recently restored due to a friends project and I am on the ground running with restoring my 1989 951. The car does not need restoration but I'm a little "monkish" when it comes to my cars and want everything to be as perfect and new as possible. I am currently in the process of doing a proper 3.0L turbo / 6 speed conversion to the car. I have a 1993 968 coupe that I have decided to cannibalize to feed the project. I know...I know...all my friends think I am out of my mind but I want a car that is more unique than both of these cars alone. My 951 is India red with black interior and the 968 is black/black. I hope that it will be one of the most pristine and clean examples of a 3.0L / 6 speed 951 conversion out there. I am going to try and use as many factory parts as sense allows and stay away from the over the top tuning modifications. I want the car to look stock but perform as Porsche would have intended if they had continued the 944/968 turbo line. I will be sure to keep everyone posted and share as much information as I can about the project so that others can learn from my experience. I have several very knowledgeable friends assisting me with the project so it does not seem so daunting and I'm sure it will be done right. It will be a long and hard road to travel but I know it will be worth it. I'm glad to have found love for my cars once again and I can assure you this time it is for good.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Name: Fergus Groundwater

Occupation: Self-employed Supply Chain Management Consultant / Certified Management Accountant

Non Porsche Hobbies: Hockey (I am a Canadian afterall), Triumph TR6 restoration project, Reading, Wine and Cooking.

Porsche Genesis: Have always loved the 944. Wanted one in as early as high school and finally when I sold my stake in a business was able to use the proceeds to buy a well-used 944 N/A. Became addicted and within the year had a 951. Have since sold the 944 to fund the first round of upgrades Love the cars for their performance and the ability to work on them myself.

How I heard about Rennlist: Stumbled across it on while searching learning about 944s on the Internet and have become an addict.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:12 PM
PXJ800
Advanced

Last edited by PXJ800; 11-04-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:31 PM
crimsonsphinx
AutoX

Name: Marc Walpole

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: Football, computer gaming, wargaming

Porsche Genesis: I had a matchbox 944 as a child and I really wanted one from then.

How I found Out About Rennlist: Google

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!