Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:35 AM
lapex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name: J.E. Browne
Non-Porsche Hobbies: gourmet cook, photography, web publishing, inventing ( have a couple of automotive patents)
Porsche Genesis: bought a 924 when i could afford it years ago. then a 911 SC, now own a bone stock 95 993 cab ( slow, go-get-ice cream car) and built and race a 944 NA with LS1 V8. Attended Rennfest two years ago and had a blast.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Caboose
Instructor

Name: Jordan Alexander
Non-Porsche Hobbies: Xbox Live & Music
Porsche Genesis: Bought an 85.5' 944 with no knowledge of anything about the car. Didn't even get an inspection. $8,000 later this is where I stand.
How I found Rennlist: A flyer was put under my windshield at a parking lot.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:43 PM
Po924S
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name: Frankie DeLuca
Non-Porsche Hobbies: Workingout, Football, and auto Upholstery work.
Porsche Genesis: I was searching for a project car two years ago, and saw a 924. Had no idea what it was, but I bought it. I fell in love with the white/brown exterior, lol. Two years later I spotted a 924S, and sold my 1980's 924 to get enoughy money for my 924S.
How I found Rennlist: Google
Old 02-24-2008, 12:27 AM
vdub
Instructor

Name: Keith Thurston
Non-Porsche hobbies: restoring and drag racing old VWs, DIY home audio, wakeboarding
Porsche Genesis: I'm a car nut, always have been. Preference has always been for German engineering. First car was a 67 VW Beetle and have never been able to get the love of old aircooled VWs out of my system. Family brought my Dad a '76 912E for Christmas 2006. One day while helping him work on his car, he commented that I should try a Porsche and thought a 944 would suit me. The idea grew on me and I started looking locally. When I found an garage kept S2 with 47K miles, I couldn't pass it up. 9 months later and I'm hooked. I still spend more time working on my VW project tho...
How I found Rennlist: Googled it!
Old 02-25-2008, 01:42 AM
544DRS
Instructor

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself:

Name: Nick
Non-Porsche Hobbies: guitars, guitar collecting, building digital audio workstations, learning Pro Tools, acoustics, cooking, microbrews, golf, watching high school and college football, watching high school wrestling, watching NBA basketball.
Porsche Genesis: A student sold me his '77 924 a long time ago, and I really enjoyed rehabilitating it. I told myself that someday, when I had more time, I'd do it again. Last month, I bought a '83 944 that's in much better shape than my old 924 was in, but I'm redoing quite a bit of stuff in it...mainly interior and electrical stuff. Been reading forums.rennlist.com for a while, and y'all seem pretty cool, so I hope you don't mind me hanging out for a while.

Nick

Last edited by 544DRS; 08-19-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Name: Julie Sczesny-something.
Age: At 18, I stopped counting, so I never had to remember again!

Occupation: Crazy Writer/Artist for comics, animation. "Bazooka Joe's mom."
I pretend I do nothing all day, so people bother me, thinking I'm a total bum.

Non-Porsche Hobbies: Gem cutting, victorian jewelry making, drawing, painting portraits like those hanging in castles, surfing, snorkeling, diving, beach combing, walking with George on Sundays in the Park. Visiting museums, grooming Persian cats, raising orchids, african violets. Looking forward to purchasing a house, so I can have a Victorian Rose Garden.

Porsche Genesis: After my father died, I realized I didn't want to drive his Lincoln Continental Mark 7 that he left me, when I moved to California in 1991. I should also add, the car had some issues with its engine, and I didn't want to waste $3000 on it for repairs (sadly all the Continental was worth then), and felt I was too young to be driving it. So, I went new car shopping. I drove a Toyota Celica, but felt it was like driving a soda can with a shifter in it. Smaller cars, just didn't feel safe. I saw a used 944, and went to investigate it. It was a white one, and drove like crap! I took it to the mechanic that they didn't want me to, and he showed me that it had been in a HEAD-ON collision, and where all the damage was. He also told me if I really wanted to switch to a 944, then come back.

I came back, and drove my first non-damaged 944, with only 38,000 miles on her! She was pristine, and drove beautifully. Including the trade-in, the Porsche shop sold her to me for $11,000 ($8,000 cash), including timing belt, balance belt, waterpump, thermostat, change of all fluids, and a set of brand new tires! I named her 'Dharia' because she was Sapphire blue, reminding me of the dark elves' skin from Dungeons and Dragons, lol.

I simply felt like majestic in that car, and drove her from Oklahoma to California, picking up my Auntie in Arizona from my uncle's house, and bringing her on the way. She was hit on, it was so sweet! My evil exfiance instigated her demise, out of spite and jealousy, and I'm offering a reward to locate her, and hopefully buy her back.

How I found Rennlist: My second Porsche genesis. I could only survive 6 years without a Porsche. Out of the last 17 years, 11 of those have been with these wonderful cars! I didn't need a car up in Chicago, but that was pre '91. I believe I was given Rennlist by a mechanic I think, I'm not completely sure. I did join Rennlist in Winter 2002 before I bought 'Kijo'. I met Frank online here, and he had two cars, one was in near mint condition, one was a hunk o' junk. The gorgeous red & cream he had ready for me, but somehow the black & black stole my heart, even though missing a driver's seat. Perhaps him saying she was doomed to be chopped made me want her more, and empathized a bit with the car. Her 'teeth' in my avatar are Photo-chopped in from a Mazda Miata, because I felt it was cool, and fit her attitude.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:19 AM
PRSCH3
Intermediate

Name: Jamie Anderson
Occupation: Provisional Psychologist (Organisational / HR Field) / Student (Master of Organisational / Industrial Psychology)
Non-Porsche Hobbies: AFL (Australian) football, travelling, seeing great rock bands like Van Halen, Aerosmith or Young Heart Attack, beach.
Porsche Genesis: Bought a 944NA a few years back going very cheap after having a fake Porsche 924 (Renault Fuego haha) beforehand. Graduated to a turbo 944 last year, love her dearly. Actually "dearly" is probably an appropriate word hey!
How I heard about Rennlist: Darth Vader from the planet Vulcan came down one night and....ok Google.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:10 AM
loonyjuice
Instructor

Name: Martin Brindle

Non Porsche Hobbies: Karate (Brown belt), Xbox, playing pool, beer, women, debauchery

Porsche Genesis: Not really sure how it all started, but I think it came about from watching Charlie Sheen in No Man's Land (not the war flick). I love the quote when asked about stealing Ferrari's "Nah, Italian trash". Also, I think it's got something to do with the fact that Porsches have that well engineered, practical, all day every day useablility, that you don't get with many other sports/super cars. Bought an S2 within 2 months of graduating from Uni and I still have it, although it's currently in need of some TLC as it was taken off the road by a stone through the radiator some time ago.

How I heard about Rennlist: I've been a member for longer than you'd think. 5 or so years now. Don't really remember, but it must have been Google.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 AM
leedog
Advanced

Name: Lee Sampson
Occupation: full time Government and Politics student at the university of maryland

non Porsche hobbies: Golf, rebuilding and fixing computers, billiards, video games, waiting for the Formula 1 season to start, etc

Porsche Genesis: I've loved the cars since I was 8 years old. I was flipping through the channels and found the 24hrs of Le Mans on. I had never seen this kind of racing before, and I thought the GT1 was one of the coolest looking cars I had ever seen. One of my first google searches was "porsche" before I was really computer literate. I started buying alot of the hardcover Porsche books for sale at the Barnes and Noble bargain section. I saved up enough money to get a 944 when I was 16, but my dad would not pay for the insurance on the car then if I bought it. So when I was graduating from high school last year my parents bought me a 944 for graduation. The car has needed alot of work, but has been thoroughly worth the time and money.

I found rennlist way before I bought my car, and have learned alot about the cars from lurking around the site for years.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 AM
cegan09
Burning Brakes

Name: Chris Egan
Occupation: Full time student at WPI, majoring in mechanical engineering with a concentration in design.

non Porsche hobbies: Skiing, researching cars, computers, music.

Porsche Genesis: Honestly i have never really liked Porsches. Over this past summer i was looking for a project car, since I've wanted one for a few years. I really wanted a 914, but couldn't find a good one. I came across the 924S, and grabbed it. The more i play with the car, and the more i read here the more i love the thing. Can't wait till its on the road.

I found rennlist about 4 months after i bought my car. It was suggested to me by a fellow class mate, who owns a 951. I believe he is on here somewhere.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:28 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Alex A.

Occupation: Graphic / Web Designer (B.S. in Interactive Media Design)

Current Location: Temecula, CA

About Cars: Growing up, 2 of my uncles had 944s (one of which [uncle Bret] was a 83 that he bought new) and my grandfather had(has) a 928S, so I've been a fan for a long time.

When I turned 16, uncle Bret bought me a 84 Alpine White 944 with 63,500 mi and 2 tone interior (beige/brown). He told me to go out and grab him a soda from the garage and there it was- one of the best days of my life! I had the car for about a year before I royally pissed him off and it was removed from my possession. I saved up some money and bought it back when I was 18. That one lasted until I was 20. I had put 70k miles on it and had rapid oil loss and catastrophic engine failure one day.

At 22, I bought the second one. An 85.5 with 155k in a brown/burgundy color with 2 tone interior (light beige/black). I had that car for a year and it started developing serious oil leaks, my cousin insisted on buying it and blew it up within a few days at 120 mph. Never got a dollar on that one.

At 26, I bought the third and current one. A 88 with 250k miles that I planned on doing a v8 swap with, but the engine still pulls really well (for some reason it seems 2 steps faster than the previous 2). It is Silver with a two tone interior (silver plaid/black) but will eventually be mostly black with some custom carbon fiber bits I'm developing. It needs interior, paint and body work. The most significant is from an accident I was in recently that caused significant front driver side damage (NOT my fault). I need to reseal the engine, but it doesn't leak that much at all. I am planning on putting a full turbo front end on it that I have lined up through a (very patient) lister. Last weekend I put a manual rack and late offset manual tie rods on the car which improved the steering problem from the wreck considerable, but still need an alignment to determine if I've bent anything else.

Rennlist: I have been a member since mid way through 07 I think, but was a "user" for a few months before that. My first experience with a lister was with d_roedel who gave me a new hatch for a 12er of Sam Adams. I drove up the coast through my old SB stomping grounds to SLO to pick it up, and he helped me install it after we were MANY hours late (as in we got there after 10PM!).

Non Porsche interests: I have 5 kids (yes, we are done!) and a wife, which takes up most of my time. I have played the guitar since 5th grade, but I'm not all that great. I like recording music when I can. I am pretty passionate about music in general, but very picky about what I listen to, though I like live music of almost any kind. Carbon Fiber and Aluminum are my favorite materials to mess around with- everything from 3 ring binders to sub enclosures. In my spare time I also do some AV installation and wiring (especially pre construction) so I am a big fan of AV components, though I really can't afford the stuff I want right now. I guess thats about it.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Jim R
Gear head
944 and 968 monster project, LS1 with Z06 heads,cam, intake, 5 speed Turbo S box soon, 911 05 TT Turbo "big reds and calipers, BBS ET 18s with Michelin Pilots.
Own company www.perfectdefence.ca . Someday it might actually make some money, in the meantime I have alot of fun giving thieves a hard time.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:59 PM
seer944
AutoX

Name: Nicholas Mills

Hobbies: rock climbing, electronic music, skindiving, TF2

Porsche Genesis: My dad had a 356. When he was posted to Vietnam he asked my mom to take it out every week, and being a most excellent mom she always took 8-year-old me along. Now my 7-year-old daughter shouts "It's a Porsche world!" whenever we see another on the road.

Rennlist Genesis: Two years ago I bought a 1985.5 944 off ebay. Found Rennlist and Clark's while researching the buy.

I don't remember when I've laughed so long and hard as I did reading the "You might own a 944 if..." thread. Goddamn, but it does feel like family here. Mechanic on speed dial, check. Sunvisor clips, check. Permanent full heat and yet constantly fogged windows, check. Hatch falling on head, check. Friends greet you with, "How's the car?", check. And I'll add mine: going to the drive-through window and them not seeing you.

270º highway offramps are often the best part of my day. And yes, sometimes I /still/ just go sit in the car at night and... smile.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Dennis Ferguson
Construction, Project Mgr.
Interests: My kids, family, surfing, skiing, triathlon anything that involves motion.

Picked up an 86 951 two years ago concentrating on the interior, new dash, reupholstered leather seats, carpet etc... I'm now finishing up on a 10 month engine rebuild that's been nothing short of exhausting. It's finally together and running, all be it poorly at the moment, needs to be fine tuned. Piggyback fuel management going in next....then what? Just having fun with it!

Enjoy the moment...
Old 03-10-2008, 11:36 PM
nh7cy
Three Wheelin'

Name:Jason Ballesteros
Occupation: Retail Fraud Investigator, EMT student at Santa Rosa Junior College

non Porsche hobbies: My girlfriend mainly, who understands my obsession with cars enough to appreciate my loud, rattling, exhaust spewing, oil leaking car and everything i do to keep it running. Photography, Off-Roading, Music, Snowboarding, Skateboarding, Mountain Biking, Paintballing, Ham Radio

Porsche Genesis: My tax return was burning a hole in my pocket so I decided to buy either a speedboat, a dirt bike or a car. After looking at a few boats, and bikes, as well as a few cars I came down to the decision to either buy a Mitsubishi 3000gt, a BMW 328is, or a Porsche 944. I went with the 944 and the rest is history.

Rennlist Genesis: I got a decent deal on my 944 because it had a bad headgasket. The person I bought the car from along with a few of his friends told me about Rennlist and that I should visit it if I ever needed some help. After attempting to do the head gasket job myself, I ran into a few problems, signed on to Rennlist, made a few really good friends, and the rest is history.

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!