Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:07 PM
drew44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I play a little of everything. I try to play more jazz/rock but right now I am in a new band and we have more of a punk sound. I am really into drum corps marching stuff as well.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:12 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool. I love the marching sound but never played. I don't mind playing 'set, but my emphasis is in latin percussion (congas, etc); as well as samba (I have a samba bass drum that is a blast to play).
Old 02-19-2007, 07:19 PM
drew44
Instructor

How long have you been playing?
Old 02-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've played set for about 9 years off and on, latin for about 7, and samba for about 5. The fun thing about latin percussion is that I can play in almost any group that's doing rock, swing, or jazz and just about always fit in.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:44 AM
Wallace
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everyone, just thought I would introduce myself.
Just picked up a 1990 944 S2 the other day with 135 000 kms on it.
It was imported from Japan by another guy (lots of importing cars in Canada)
I've always loved 944's since I was a little kid, and now that I can actually afford one, I finally bought one.
It's in really good condition, but I'm still doing alot of preventative maintenance on it for peace of mind. Just ordered balance belt, timing belt, pulleys and gears, front seals, water pump, thermoswitch, and chain tensioner from 944online. Now I'm trying to find a local place that sells triple square (cheesehead) bits.

Name: Jon Wallace

Non-Porsche Related Hobbies: Everything automotive, music, etc.

Porsche Genesis: I don't remember when I first saw a 944, but I've always loved the lines. I've been a Honda guy for the past 7 years (1992 Accord with Prelude engine, custom chassis bracing, extensive suspension mods, blah, blah). Got into racing (autocross and track) last year. Can't wait to track the 944.

How I found Out About Rennlist: I've known about it for some time, but another local 944 owner convinced me to sign up.

I wish I could show pics, but I don't have enough posts......
Old 02-20-2007, 01:19 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Name : Erik Snider

Occupation : General Manager Computer Repair and Service Center in Oxford Ohio

Hobbies : R/C Aircraft, Hiking, Kayaking, Biking, Running, Rollerblading, LAN Parties

Other Cars : 2003 Chevy Cavalier, 15.149 @ 91mph TristState Dragway, 88 Pontiac Fiero (Daily Driver w/ Koni suspension until Porsche is running) 1979 Jeep CJ-7

Found Rennlist talking too 2 guys w/ Turbo 944s on West Side of Cincy (1 Black 944 & CF Hood) last summer while driving in my Black Cavy meeting up with some friends to go to Skyline. One of them gave me a card offering to help get the Porsche back on the road, lost card, but remembered website, and here I am.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:02 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaeger_45056
Found Rennlist talking too 2 guys w/ Turbo 944s on West Side of Cincy (1 Black 944 & CF Hood) last summer while driving in my Black Cavy meeting up with some friends to go to Skyline. One of them gave me a card offering to help get the Porsche back on the road, lost card, but remembered website, and here I am.

Yea, Andy (aka: doc boost) Is a great guy!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Dan (Dan-o, as my dad -- "The Singin' Man" would call him) was no doubt the other 944 owner?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:22 PM
hockeydude
Addict
Rennlist Member

No doubt, Tenacious_G!

Andy's is the sweet black one with the CF hood.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:48 PM
Tenacious_G
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, it'sa very naace.

His project car sounds like it has some awesome plans in the works, too...
Old 02-24-2007, 10:15 PM
VinsBalticBlueS2
Instructor

Hello. Thought I'd make an intro on here as well. Been a member for less than a month. Plan on hanging around for a long time...

I bought my S2 last month... Read my posting 'My intro into Porsche ownership' for the costly initiation I went through.

I've learned a ton here on Rennlist already. What a great forum. Plenty of character up here... I plan on doing my part to make it interesting!

I've always loved the 944. Just something about it's look. The body lines, etc. The 911 never captured my imagination for some reason.

I had a poster of the 944 on my wall in 1989 which was my senior year in high school. They were 50K back then.... WAY out of my range. I don't think I ever saw one in person until I was a few year into my college era.

So here's the quick personal bio...

Born and raised in Oregon. Bandon, Oregon to be exact..... Pretty amazing place now... very beautiful. Go to www.bandondunesgolf.com to get a glimpse of how naturally beautiful...

Back in the day however it was nothing more than a remote little town of 1500 where your parents were either fisherman, farmer, ranchers or loggers. My old man was a fisherman first and a farmer second. His old man was logger first and a rancher second.... so you get the picture... country roots to the core... And yes I spent some time with a mullet back in the day.

I was an athlete in high school and turned down a couple pac-10 football scholarships to pursue wrestling instead(I would have been a decent college football player, but not great, and not a starter right away)... but the wrestling was a passion at that time..

Spent my college years wrestling and competed all over. My first year was at ASU and then I transferred back to the home state. Some success.. lot's of injuries.

Met my wife my senior year in college and married her a couple years later. She's a kiwi, born on the South Island. She was 18 when she showed up at a kegger with some of her older girlfriends.. a dozen of my buddies were bragging about how they got her number that night... I was a bit dissapointed when I realized that I wasn't the only one that got her digits... But then when we all compared numbers we realized that they were ALL different numbers! Damn that crazy little lady tricked us all! Anyhow.. we all gave our numbers a ring and I was stoked when it worked out that the number she gave me was the only legit one. The rest is history I guess...

3 little boys ages 7, 5, and will be 3 this month. All cool little guys to hang with... all very different from each other. One is an artist, One is a little scientist, and my youngest is well... I think he's the Tazmanian Devil... His name is Cale.. but we call him Chaos!

I work in the software industry. I'm a mid level sales manager. Been selling technology since I graduated school. I have a BS in Psychology, BS in English from Portland State, and an MBA from Cornell.

I used to be quite a stick in Golf... but with 3 boys I simly have chosen not to play much anymore.. just takes too much time away frm them. When they're older we'll be a foursome and then I'll get to play all the time!

My primary hobby is painting. I've been painting with acrylics and oils for quite awhile now, and some day hope to make a serious effort to show some of my work and semi-commercialize that hobby.

I love Oregon... it doesn't really rain all the time here. We moved back here to Portland last year after a number of years out on the east coast on a gig with the company I work for.

So there you go.... Me in a nut shell. Family, Career, Porshe, Painting, and some day Golf....

Here's some pics to go with the scoop on me...
Attached Images       
Old 04-10-2007, 07:37 AM
first500
Intermediate

I guess Im the FNG for now
been lurking for a little while, so far you guy's got my car running and didnt even know it( gotto love the power of the "search" feature)
My name is Jeremy but all the people who really know me well just call me an *******. I live in a town called Hauula, yes, I spelt it right. It's on Oahu in Hawaii.
I picked up a 86 N/A for $500. it is in daily driver condition, well atleast as far as Hawaii goes. by the looks of some of the rides on this site alot of you wouldn't be caught dead in a vehicle in the condition of my poor Porsche. hopefully that will all be changed soon enough with your help.
Im sure Ill be on here alot so thanx in advance for all the great knowledge.
Jeremy
Old 04-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Mamooguy
Three Wheelin'

Name: Matthew M.

Location: Toronto, Canada (pronounced "taranna," if you please)

Hobbies: Driving, traveling, reading, driving, flappin' my yap, driving, traveling

Job: Journalist, though I've reduced my hours considerably to go back to school. I'm also a writer, currently writing what may turn into a novel. I also do a lot of travel, much of it of the volunteer variety (last year I spent a couple of weeks in New Orleans, helping with the rebuilding effort, and I also spent a few months in West Africa with a non-profit group). I seem to be addicted to travel, but recently realized I haven't seen enough of North America ... first order of business with my 944, therefore, is to embark on a monster road trip. Hope the beast is up to it!

How I found myself in PorscheLand: Like most people (or most guys) I've always dreamed of owning a Porsche, but always thought it was out of my price range, not to mention very impractical. But not long ago my marriage broke up, and it suddenly hit me that I'd be able to get whatever car I damn well pleased. I looked at lots of cars, including classic American cars (especially a 60s Thunderbird or Galaxie). I also considered MG and Triumph models, but I've heard nightmarish tales my whole life of the repair bills from those things. I also took a hard look at Fiat and Alfa-Romeo Spiders, but couldn't find one in good condition that was in my price range. Came really close to buying a Porsche 914, but was talked out of people who said they were real bears to work on (hard to access the engine). In the end I stumbled across a 944 that was in really good shape, but wasn't selling because it was an automatic. Unfazed, I bought the sucker. I take possession in a few days!

I'm thrilled to be here on Rennlist. I know from looking around that it's a fantastic resource. I look forward to a long association with you folks. Even the guys who say they're ********!

Last edited by Mamooguy; 04-10-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
T4k
4th Gear

Name: Chris N

Picked up my 83 944 a few months ago and i love it. Ive been lurking around these boards for sometime and now finally decided to post. =]
Old 04-10-2007, 06:21 PM
nitehawk951
Rennlist Member

Name: David A.
San Diego, Ca
My life and occupation is boring (student), so I will just babble about how I came to discover the 944.
I fell in love with a guards red 84' 944 in 2002 when I was in high school, and I've never been the same. Though many here call me a newbie I am a previous memeber of the list. In may 05' I got in an accident (wasnt my fault, old bitch) and had to sell the 84' and left the list. I was now without a porsche since I sold my 89' 944 (very nice) right before this. I was about to buy another one 5-6 months later when I thought why not shoot for a nice 951? In 03' I wondered how they drove and called a guy selling a white 88 for $5000 (non S, but still really fast to me). Yes it was a joyride, I didnt have 5k but just wondered. They were much much cheaper back then for some reason, in fact the guy said he would take $4300, this wasnt a bad lookin car. Now I really fell in love.
I bought my 88' 951 last halloween, in wisconsin (By the way it was worth the journey, much nicer than described). While everyone was tricker-treating I drove a hell of a car across most of America, what a blast. Driving through denver was great, best turns ever. Nebraska and Iowa have great straight aways.
It was a great journey in an amazing car that I will never forget . Later on I may want to get a nice S2 or ok condition 951 for track use. Thanks.
944's

Quick Reply: Lots of New People Lately - Let's do a "Get To Know Each Other" Post For New & Old!!!