Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:12 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)

So a friend and fellow Rennlister comes over today in his Martini shoes.

We talk trash and work on the 911's.

Mine is an '88 cab and his is an '85 targa with an updated DME.

We check our O2's and they look good.

Then we perform the secret opps.

Afterwards we go for a drive......What happens next blows my legal defence right out of the water.

Mr. Zimmermann, we have a problem! (Pete, do not look at the last picture.)

We will be pleading the 5th on all questions regarding our DME's.....
Attached Images       

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 02-26-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I guess I need the decoder ring to figure out what the hell you're talking about. Or some of the same magic mushrooms.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:45 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

Que Putas?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

oh good .. I thought it was me ... i was trying to figure out if there was a technical question in their some place.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Sometimes I think Doug's meds are either kicking in or wearing off.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Come on guys. didn't you ever want to say that you did something but you didn't want to say what? Kinda like that time with the fat chick. You want your friends to know, but leaving a few holes in the story make it a better story.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:41 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

OK here it goes. If just one other player in this story will send me a PM saying go, or will step up here and post, I'll tell the rest of the story, give my opinion, and answer questions. No permission, no spiel.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 02-22-2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: playing to player
Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O.K after reading the Douglas writings five times I finally get it.
Douglas, please don't go into writing lesson plans for a living........ever
So thats it. No explanation about the two different DME's like where they came from or the one on the right is not an '85 stock.
Do we need to beg?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

This was an operation orchestrated by the two highest powers in an industry and carried out by the two lowest butt-dyno owners on the planet. does that help? You are not going to believe me anyway.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:35 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by douglas bray
OK here it goes. If just one other player in this story will send me a PM saying go, or will step up here and post, I'll tell the rest of the story, give my opinion, and answer questions. No permission, no spiel.
PM sent...

Old 02-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I will take the following PM as permission to post details of the secret opps posted above.

rberry951
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Re: chips

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Douglas,

Are you waiting for me to give the okay to post your results? By all means, feel free. I think this is the first true unbiased comparison of two products in this community I have ever seen. I am not upset that the two of you didn't think my chip beat the SW chip into the dirt, in fact I would have been surprised if that were the case as I don't design my chips to be dyno queens, I design them to enhance the overall driving experience. And it sounds like I succeeded in standing along side the product the whole community thinks is the best.

I see no harm here to my reputation what so ever. And like I told Jim, for a true comparison, he should let me send him a chip I design for his car, as his SW chip was not 'off the shelf'. But to compare my 'off the shelf' chip against a SW custom chip and be this closely matched I feel is quite good indeed!

Let 'er rip!

Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas bray
Russell, what an evening this was...I was very suprised at Jim's request, but wasn't gonna give up an offer like that either. The only thing we haven't done is had me jump in his car to see how he drives. It may not be that his car doesn't have what it takes, it may be that he just doesn't know how to coax it out of her. reguarding the head to head butt dyno....well, both great but with a subltle differance that I think Jim nailed well. Your chip is stronger at the lower RPM range and creates more grunt. Steve's chip is for high RPM, leading throtle, wide open, ***** to the wall, kinda driving. I layed a 15 foot patch of rubber that my LSD was trying to shutter left-right-left-right-left....your chip is more let out the clutch at 1,500 RPM's and power it up thru the tach. Both chips head and sholders above stock....thank you for the good times, douglas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberry951
Hey Douglas,

Just heard from Jim, he had nice things to say. I offered to let him try a chip mapped to his car's specifications. Also, do you know the date when I sent you the chip you have now? I'm not 100% certain it is the latest production version.

Sounds like you guys had a blast!

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-22-2009, 02:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Holly crap what huge waste of bandwidth to talk about a chip comparison ..
Old 02-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The key words are "off the shelf" and "custom". I'm on, I believe, my third programming on my Steve W chip. I'm not disparaging Russell's chips at all, I'm sure he has the capability to do the same.

For YEARS, Steve was the alternative to Authority and anyone else selling one-size-fits-all chips, giving personalized attention to each and every one, and as a result has a lot of customers.

I think it goes back to chip vs. no chip. There is power to be be had, and with the proper attention to octane requirements, is a way to eke out some HP without going into the case.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by theiceman
Holly crap what huge waste of bandwidth to talk about a chip comparison ..
It's not like you didn't know this about me when you clicked on the thread.

This was a head to head comparison with both chip designers knowing what was up even before I did. Jim came to me and asked if we could swap out our computers and go for a drive. Why? Because ever since he first got a ride in my car he had a sinking feeling in the back of his head that my car could easily out perform his in a stoplight to stoplight street race. Well, Jim's thoughts were confirmed. I left him in my dust.

I put his "personally tuned, tweaked, and installed by Steve Wong" chip in my car, and he put my "early version tweaked and massaged by Russell Freebury" chip in his car. We went for a drive and the differences were only subtle. Very close indeed, both much funner than stock.

So now all you guys that pummeled me about not going with Wong can relax now knowing that I have tried it. All the guys that are thinking about the MaxHPkit chip can breath easy knowing that unless you are planning on living above 5,000 RPM's the MaxHPkit is a fantastic improvement in drivability on the street and at lover PRM's and is on par with the Wong chip.

Final opinion: Jim needs to learn how to drive.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

So Doug did you swap over just the chip or the entire DME ?
I noticed the different part numbers but am not sure what the differences are .

Quick Reply: 3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)