Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"If I want to leave a typo in a line or joke about some clandestine secret gathering of superpowers in my driveway with my friends on rennlist, shouldn't I be able too?"

Right, which basically diminishes any credibility on the topic of chip evaluation
in this thread, i.e. in support of Russell.

Sorry Russell that this guy is your spokesperson! Find someone more credible
on the technical aspects of a 911 other than what's the best polish to use,
unless your product line will include polish in the future.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Brick...wood...its all the same when it's used to block a wheel !

Did I ever tell you what happens with the CV joints and clutch in a 911 when a burn-out is attempted . Did I ever tell you, when a similar driving habit, speed shifting, is done, what happens to a 911 synchro assembly?
Pete, I'm with you on that. This is why you were not supposed to look at the 15 feet of rubber I left on the street. I was rolling at a good clip in first prior to some fancy clutch work and would never even let the thought enter my mind to speed shift this tranny.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:03 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"
Right, which basically diminishes any credibility on the topic of chip evaluation

Hey Loren,

Actually I disagree with you this time. While this is supposed to be a technical forum, a lot of technical threads only talk numbers. In marketing performance product there are two basic groups, those who want to see hard dyno numbers, AFRs, timing advance, knock, etc. And those who want a real world break down of what the product does for the overall driving experience.

The community is also just that, a community. So to me when members get together and play with their cars, no matter how technical the adventure, it's a good thing. I wish more of us lived closer together so there would be more of that going on.

So some threads will hold strictly data, others will hold opinions, and the people posting will be diverse. I don't see how anyone's credibility can me diminished over some burnt rubber and a few cans of Dr. Pepper.

But I thank you for your concern and input.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"If I want to leave a typo in a line or joke about some clandestine secret gathering of superpowers in my driveway with my friends on rennlist, shouldn't I be able too?"

You really are the idiot you portray yourself to be. If you find me on the payroll at maxHPkit please let me know. If you were paying attention to the story line here I blew the doors of Jim while I had his chip in my car. That would sound to me like an endorement of the Steve Wong chip! If This were an advertisment of the maxHPkit chip, why on earth would I come on here and bost of my blowing the doors of the car using the maxHPkit chip? I think we made it clear the chips were on par with each other. I also think it is clear that my car and my driving is stronger than Jim's, not that one chip was stronger than the other. Either chip has it's strong points, and that too was clear. If you would have just kept your mouth shut this thread would have died with the weekend. Now, it will live on for all to see as long as I can keep it going.

In fact I'll let it be known for all to see. Steve Wong can update your DME chipset to the 28 pin used in the later 3.2's. The 28 pin chip allows for far more information to be mapped on the chip. The owners of early 3.2's need not send your computers to the crackpots of the world any longer for that work.

PS. I'm not on the payroll, but I am the president of the fan club.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Did I ever tell you what happens with the CV joints and clutch in a 911 when a burn-out is attempted
I cringe when I hear the word burnout associated with a 911. I did one once, kinda by accident screwing around. That is the last time, I KNOW I took 10K off my drivetrain's life expectency. Ah, but then I mis-shift a year or two later, and it was all academic at that point.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I would seem Loren has a point after all...Here I am talking about polish:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ghlight=polish
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

The following post I found as a result of doing a Google search: (We are not alone)

imcarthur

Used Up User

Wow. What else can I say? Just Wow!

Loren, as usual, your contribution to this thread & the other Cruise Control thread & in fact, all of your contributions to this forum & Rennlist are just so . . . so . . . electric, for lack of a better word. Just the fact that you would take time out of your busy, busy day to spread your words of infinite wisdom to us lowly, mere-mortal DIYers struggling with our “shotgun approach” in the wilderness of our garages. I know, we are all secretly, horribly ashamed that we take money – no let’s call it what it is – we STEAL money from bonafide, knowledgeable electronics ‘experts’ like yourself & starving mechanics around the globe - every time we pick up a wrench or a voltage meter to work on our car. And you are so right, we are bumbling idiots & just WHO do we think we are, posting our silly questions on this forum & sharing information that takes bread right OFF YOUR TABLE! If we had a shred of human decency & intellect, we would flock to your business & throw bags of cash at your door!

We are all waiting – with bated breath – for the next nuggets of information that will trickle from your keyboard whenever you deem us worthy of more of your scintillating guidance.

Ian

Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Well i don't mind guys doing burnouts in their 911s . i think it is great for those of us who want to see people take apart there gearboxes to learn about them

cause I hate to seeanyone have to take apart for the money shift , that is just sadening.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool!!!! I was just wondering what type of polish to use! For what it's worth I value firsthand impressions and butt dyno reports at least as much as the hard data. This is because I don't track my car. Otherwise it would be all about the hard data.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I get a reminder everytime I roll out of my driveway that shift paterns can bite you in the rear. My Nissan's reverse is to the right and back, the 911's G50 is far left and forward. My Chevy and Ford are automatics so no worries. The sticks get me every time. If you're not thinking at a light and go too far left you can find yourself backing into the car behind you.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:31 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

You think that is bad try driving the 911 for a couple of weeks non stop then get back in the daily driver. Espsecially when you go to dip the clutch on your automatic and catch the brake on your automatic .. leaves teeth marks on the stering wheel.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by theiceman
You think that is bad try driving the 911 for a couple of weeks non stop then get back in the daily driver. Espsecially when you go to dip the clutch on your automatic and catch the brake on your automatic .. leaves teeth marks on the stering wheel.
I think I was behind you a couple times.

Actually I've done that too.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wevo shifters have a reverse lockout. Switching from any car to the air cooled 911 is a bit of a culture shock.

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I've always found other cars, after driving a 911 for more than a couple of weeks, to feel, for lack of a better word, almost alien. Everything about them seems wrong, which means everything about a 911 must be right!
Old 02-23-2009, 07:22 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The key words are "off the shelf" and "custom". I'm on, I believe, my third programming on my Steve W chip. I'm not disparaging Russell's chips at all, I'm sure he has the capability to do the same.
Indeed, especially in the turbo world, I have over 80 variants of my base chip maps because of all the radical 'customization' the turbo crowd does to their cars. Several of the NA cars have a few variants as well, for different octanes, mods, etc. I've always had custom tuning available for any car I design product for. And I don't now if you ever heard of my Maxtune software, which allows people to tune their own cars, either from a stock map or one of my base maps pre-customized for their car. Some more adept clients have chosen this route. But most just do data logging and/or dyno pulls and send me the data and I design the best maps based on the data.

Either way, no two cars are the same. And the same car won't perform the same any two days. When taking my car to the dyno over and over I never shot for any specific number, because all the numbers changed every time I went, I would start each day with a fresh baseline, and tune from there.

I miss my 911.

Russell

Quick Reply: 3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)