Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

We swapped the entire box. His '85 has been updated so no need to open them up. I think the dirty one was mine and the clean one was his. the update is going from a 24 pin socket to a 28 pin.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:17 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

personally, I think this thread can become one of the epic threads on the 3.2 911s.

Here's a dumb question: what are you measuring in the first two pics? O2 voltage and something on the icv? Is that what you do before installing chips?

I still have my stock dme, mostly because I have no faith in the gas available these days, and I use my 911 for travelling all over california. Many small towns around here have really really rEALLY sketchy gas stations, especially when you go to the mountain communities or gold rush towns. I love touring in my 911.

P.S.: if you're still reading this, Draco, I love the shoes baby!!
Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
personally, I think this thread can become one of the epic threads on the 3.2 911s.

Here's a dumb question: what are you measuring in the first two pics? O2 voltage and something on the icv? !!
We are checking the voltage on the O2 sensor. A .006 is a good reading. I THINK IT"S any higher and you are rich, any lower and you are lean. The icv is the perfect place to wedge the negative lead for the VOA meter. The positive lead is clipped onto the sensor.

Is that what you do before installing chips?

I still have my stock dme, mostly because I have no faith in the gas available these days, and I use my 911 for travelling all over california. Many small towns around here have really really rEALLY sketchy gas stations, especially when you go to the mountain communities or gold rush towns. I love touring in my 911.
I don't think the chips require anything beyond the 91 pump gas you can get anywhere. The use of higher octane is associated with preventing detonation, but in my case is strictly for fun...

P.S.: if you're still reading this, Draco, I love the shoes baby!!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh!! nice!! I'll try it tonight. Headed back to Dinuba in a few minutes to work on the 911SC that refuses to be fixed.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:58 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh Douglas,

You could not help yourself, eh? LOL, that was really fun

Please note Steve did not bless this test, it was totally on my own.

I do believe if I took Steve's 84 Cab it would have been a true head to head comparison. But I doubt Steve would allow me taking his baby to test. I would not want to be responsible for any potential damage.

I must agree MaxHP's throttle response at stop seems to be lighter but with my crappy driving it did not matter for me and my baby, she felt the same and it did not help Douglas pulling away from me off the line. The upper range did feel like she was holding back unlike the SW Chip.

On my way home on the freeway with very little traffic to none. I opened her up easily reaching 145MPH, pulling all the way. Got scared then slowed way down.

I still need a bit of tuning to be spot on. I leaned her out today a half a turn and it controlled the back firing but I need to go back to Steve and tweak a bit more.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

145MPH! I do need to hide the children. :bulgingeyesdropjaw:
Old 02-22-2009, 11:13 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

The DVM, we did not have a LM1 to test the AFR mixture prior to swap. So we ghettoed it by using the DVM. We (I) wanted to verify we were in between 0.02-0.06 volts at O2 Sensor. Douglas was in range but mine seemed to be a bit rich. I was back firing a bit.

Leaning her out half a turn supressed the back fire.

Hey Rusnak, thanks for the props on my Martini Shoes. LOL. You ever make it down to Lost Angeles? If you do then let me know we can shoot the shlitz and check out each other's baby's.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Jim, I promise to let you win someday.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:17 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Jim, I promise to let you win someday.
Sure you will as I eat dust
Old 02-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

" A .006 is a good reading. I THINK IT"S any higher and you are rich, any lower and you are lean"

Good? Must have read it in a Bentley manual.

"We (I) wanted to verify we were in between 0.02-0.06 volts at O2 Sensor"

So you like to run the car very very lean, right?

This 911 forum is starting to sound like those over at the "dark side"
in its technical soundness, i.e. marginal at best. Hopefully not too
many new owners looking for reliable help.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What really worries me is that Doug's handbrake is so inadequate that he needs to have a block of wood under the rear tire...
Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
What really worries me is that Doug's handbrake is so inadequate that he needs to have a block of wood under the rear tire...
He may be like a modern day Fonzie-no need to stop 'cuz he's always moving so fast?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
" A .006 is a good reading. I THINK IT"S any higher and you are rich, any lower and you are lean"

Good? Must have read it in a Bentley manual.

"We (I) wanted to verify we were in between 0.02-0.06 volts at O2 Sensor"

So you like to run the car very very lean, right?

This 911 forum is starting to sound like those over at the "dark side"
in its technical soundness, i.e. marginal at best. Hopefully not too
many new owners looking for reliable help.
First off Lori, is there any part of my life that I take as seriously as you take my life? Honestly. If I want to leave a typo in a line or joke about some clandestine secret gathering of superpowers in my driveway with my friends on rennlist, shouldn't I be able too? If this thread were a technical thread, I would have made that clear. It was clearly just two old friends hanging out drinking Dr. Pepper.

Where was I? Oh ya, Pete...Ya, I gotta work on that. PS: technically, it was a brick.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Speaking of Dr Pepper. Saturday was Rachel's 5th birthday. She walked up to Jim with her big dark eyes and jacked his Dr Pepper right out of his hands. She said "I want some Dr Pepper" and Jim just melted into a big mushy pool right on my clean driveway. He hadn't even gotten the can cracked open and she was on the hunt. Rachel just smiled and walked off with the prize. I'm teaching them young how to trap the rich guys.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
First off Lori, is there any part of my life that I take as seriously as you take my life? Honestly. If I want to leave a typo in a line or joke about some clandestine secret gathering of superpowers in my driveway with my friends on rennlist, shouldn't I be able too? If this thread were a technical thread, I would have made that clear. It was clearly just two old friends hanging out drinking Dr. Pepper.

Where was I? Oh ya, Pete...Ya, I gotta work on that. PS: technically, it was a brick.
Brick...wood...its all the same when it's used to block a wheel !

Did I ever tell you what happens with the CV joints and clutch in a 911 when a burn-out is attempted . Did I ever tell you, when a similar driving habit, speed shifting, is done, what happens to a 911 synchro assembly?

Quick Reply: 3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)