Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:21 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that what the dip switches are for? Switching between maps? Can you switch programs remotely without removing the dme?
Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I think that's the switch dilemna he's working on....
Old 02-27-2009, 12:45 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Russell Berry
MAXhpkit -- Maximum Performance Guaranteed

You need to promote this over on the "Dark Side", as most over there think
that there's a supreme "God's Gift to Tuning" (who now believes it too).
You know, I tried to. Right before they started carrying my chips I talked about it on the forum. Then Wayne bitch slapped me because they didn't have them listed on the store site yet. Then they listed them, announced that they were available. Honestly I just haven't spent much time there since.

I've had to bump horns with some 'God' in every community, big egos always tend to bounce off one another. But I never found the need to attempt to discredit other vendors to prove what I have. I don't get that. But, I don't partake either, if another vendor locks horns with me on a forum I'm done with them, I won't interact with them ever again.

But not all vendors are bad! There are other vendors I communicate with all the time. When I first developed maxtune I sent free copies to many people I know, some of them even my competitors. There doesn't have to be such a thing as 'vendor wars'. Somebody gonna chime in with a beatles song here?

Word will get over there, just not much of it will be coming from me.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-27-2009, 12:49 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by rusnak
Is that what the dip switches are for? Switching between maps? Can you switch programs remotely without removing the dme?
Yep, the dip switches allow you to switch between the 8 different maps, or chip images that live on the one chip on the board. The switches I just ordered though are pushbutton bcd switches, mechanical. They are easily mountable and easier to use. Not to mention the fact that I can use standard cabling and not do so much soldering. The switch will be on a 6' cable, most likely a flat ribbon cable as that is the easiest to route outside the DME. You can then mount the switch where ever you want.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rberry951
You know, I tried to. Right before they started carrying my chips I talked about it on the forum. Then Wayne bitch slapped me because they didn't have them listed on the store site yet. Then they listed them, announced that they were available. Honestly I just haven't spent much time there since.
Pretty harsh words for Wayne, IMO. He's in business to sell parts, and is pretty strict about people not promoting products that he doesn't have online. Since the parts business funds the forum, and that is his sandbox, I can't argue with that logic.

To not spend time there is a mistake, if you want to build the 3.2L chips portion of your business, IMO. Look at the number of subscribers on that forum vs. what you see here. That is by far a much larger audience. If 944's are your bread and butter, then the story is different.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:16 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I can't say I have an opinion on navigating the politics of the business. That kind of thing is not my forte. All I know is that if the unit can survive the harsh environment of a car interior, works, and allows you to switch between "economy" and "street" and "track", well that will blow most 911 guys away including me. Word will get around if the product stands on its own.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:16 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Spencer from Partshaven Spencer?
v2rocketAKA944 Spencer from UCRiverside Spencer. He's a 19 year old with a 944 and some 12,000 posts that can't believe what my 911 will do. He had no idea the engines were so strong. I took the poor kid to school. (literally dropped him off right on the campus)

And Russell, The second my tax return gets here I want a multi board with the cord. Just the fact that you can eliminate the need to move a jumper on the motherboard is reason enough to buy the mult board. It sorta puts the need for stocking the 24pin chip out of the picture. I'd much rather have the upgrades and flexability of the 28 pin chip.

Do you have any far of visions or ideas of what is to come?
Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

The multiboard is $310 and the chip is $250? So that is $560 combined give or take say shipping etc? I feel like such a noob asking all of these questions. Maybe because I am.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:56 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Pretty harsh words for Wayne, IMO. He's in business to sell parts, and is pretty strict about people not promoting products that he doesn't have online. Since the parts business funds the forum, and that is his sandbox, I can't argue with that logic.

To not spend time there is a mistake, if you want to build the 3.2L chips portion of your business, IMO. Look at the number of subscribers on that forum vs. what you see here. That is by far a much larger audience. If 944's are your bread and butter, then the story is different.
Not trying to start anything with Wayne, it was a case of one hand not knowing what the other was doing, Scott already had spoken to me, he had the website info, etc., Wayne was not aware. It was just a very poor introduction to the 911 community there.

It's not that 944s are my bread and butter, just much larger as it encompasses 944NA which has three different engines, 944S/S2, and the 944 Turbo and all variants thereof. At the moment I'm working on 968, 964, and bmw 325, 525, and 535. I'll span other markets as well. I'll probably stick with the older Bosch motronic DME as they are in so many different makes and models. I don't feel like I have to be the king of any one market, but a part of every community.

In the past couple of months I haven't been very active on any forum, but as things return to normal I'll have more time and can provide a better forum presence.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-27-2009, 03:06 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

The multiboard is $310 and the chip is $250? So that is $560 combined give or take say shipping etc? I feel like such a noob asking all of these questions. Maybe because I am.
Umm, sure, I'll take 560.

No, chip itself is 250, the multiboard for 300 (+10 SHIP) is with the chip. It will include a stock map, 911MAX map, valet, and no-start. Or any configuration. Each additional image adds 50 bucks. Some people who have created their own maps using Maxtune sometimes send me their images to put on the chips, for which I chage 35.

And like I said, blank boards will be available with blank chip for 100, so another vendor could load the same types of things for you. I'm sure any of them can do it, I even have free software available for them to do it with. As much as I'd like to make a pile of cash, I design things so that people aren't locked into using my products with my tools. In the end I think everyone is better off that way.

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Multi-board 911 3.2L Upgrade
$50.00 USD

that sounds to me like it's $50.00 if you already own the chip.

How far off am I?

Or is that $50.00 with purchase of new chip?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

"no-start" ....so you flip one dim switch and the car is dead? That sounds better than trusting the teenagers while I'm gone.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:29 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Multi-board 911 3.2L Upgrade
$50.00 USD

that sounds to me like it's $50.00 if you already own the chip.

How far off am I?

Or is that $50.00 with purchase of new chip?
Yep, you're right, existing chip customers pay 50 bucks for the board, they'll get their chip pre-loaded on it.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:31 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by douglas bray
"no-start" ....so you flip one dim switch and the car is dead? That sounds better than trusting the teenagers while I'm gone.
Yep, and valet mode is just relaxed timng on the low end and a 3K rev limiter, or less if you want it.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:04 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

ok, thanks!

I clicked the chip and and board on the www.maxhp.com website to check the pricing, and saw the price come up on paypal. I think I'll buy the chip and the board. I'm not fully clear on the pricing for stuff. I know I'm not capable of tuning my own chip at this point, but I love the idea of having multiple modes operating on "my" chip. For example, I'd probably have one mode that I'll just call "Calif DMV" and another performance mode. One is for operating with a cat, and the other......

Quick Reply: 3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)