Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

rusnak, What is that thing pictured just above your shift **** and below your cruise sticker? Turbo boost adj.? Timing advance?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was experimenting with a remote or in-line controller for the subwoofer. The guy who owned my car before me put in a fantastic subwoofer box and rear shelf. I have since moved the controller into the center console well, and added a second cigarette socket at the bottom of the well for the cell phone or GPS.

I should do a thread for audiophiles, but I think most 911 Porsche guys listen to "engine music" so, I keep my audio mods to myself.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I remember a thread promoting a group buy from some guy that was the "Premier installer in California for 911's" got crickets.... :crickets:

OK, so I'm sitting at my desk and an idea hits me... "Chips and Salsa" We could get togeather at the Cucamonga Carrera Cantina and swap chips and eat mexican food. It could be like a Mary Kay party. You can try variant chips like you would eye liner or nail polish.

I'll shut up now.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

rusnak, this was before your time:

(Turn off avatars prior to reading)

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...this-chip.html
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I would seem Loren has a point after all...Here I am talking about polish:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ghlight=polish
I vote that we resurrect that thread-looks like unfinished tormenting of Mr. Bray...

The following post I found as a result of doing a Google search: (We are not alone)

imcarthur
Used Up User

Wow. What else can I say? Just Wow!

Loren, as usual, your contribution to this thread & the other Cruise Control thread & in fact, all of your contributions to this forum & Rennlist are just so . . . so . . . electric, for lack of a better word. Just the fact that you would take time out of your busy, busy day to spread your words of infinite wisdom to us lowly, mere-mortal DIYers struggling with our “shotgun approach” in the wilderness of our garages. I know, we are all secretly, horribly ashamed that we take money – no let’s call it what it is – we STEAL money from bonafide, knowledgeable electronics ‘experts’ like yourself & starving mechanics around the globe - every time we pick up a wrench or a voltage meter to work on our car. And you are so right, we are bumbling idiots & just WHO do we think we are, posting our silly questions on this forum & sharing information that takes bread right OFF YOUR TABLE! If we had a shred of human decency & intellect, we would flock to your business & throw bags of cash at your door!

We are all waiting – with bated breath – for the next nuggets of information that will trickle from your keyboard whenever you deem us worthy of more of your scintillating guidance.

Ian

I get a reminder everytime I roll out of my driveway that shift paterns can bite you in the rear. My Nissan's reverse is to the right and back, the 911's G50 is far left and forward. My Chevy and Ford are automatics so no worries. The sticks get me every time. If you're not thinking at a light and go too far left you can find yourself backing into the car behind you.
Well, that is absolutely how a REAL 911 shift pattern is-the 915's....

Originally Posted by rberry951
Indeed, especially in the turbo world, I have over 80 variants of my base chip maps because of all the radical 'customization' the turbo crowd does to their cars. Several of the NA cars have a few variants as well, for different octanes, mods, etc. I've always had custom tuning available for any car I design product for. And I don't now if you ever heard of my Maxtune software, which allows people to tune their own cars, either from a stock map or one of my base maps pre-customized for their car. Some more adept clients have chosen this route. But most just do data logging and/or dyno pulls and send me the data and I design the best maps based on the data.

Either way, no two cars are the same. And the same car won't perform the same any two days. When taking my car to the dyno over and over I never shot for any specific number, because all the numbers changed every time I went, I would start each day with a fresh baseline, and tune from there.

I miss my 911.

Russell
I'm so anti-adept, it is scary.

OK, so I'm sitting at my desk and an idea hits me... "Chips and Salsa" We could get togeather at the Cucamonga Carrera Cantina and swap chips and eat mexican food. It could be like a Mary Kay party. You can try variant chips like you would eye liner or nail polish.

I'll shut up now.
Name the date!
Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

DB, that is a funny thread! I wouldn't mind feeling a little bit dirty and used by Mary Lou....wait, did I say that?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
The DVM, we did not have a LM1 to test the AFR mixture prior to swap. So we ghettoed it by using the DVM. We (I) wanted to verify we were in between 0.02-0.06 volts at O2 Sensor. Douglas was in range but mine seemed to be a bit rich. I was back firing a bit.

Leaning her out half a turn supressed the back fire.

Hey Rusnak, thanks for the props on my Martini Shoes. LOL. You ever make it down to Lost Angeles? If you do then let me know we can shoot the shlitz and check out each other's baby's.

Hey Draco, I just checked my O2 sensor using your technique and my voltage was way high. At least I know my sensor wire is not damaged.

Some day probably this summer or fall my GF and I will visit Orange County, and it would be nice to stop in LA and meet you and your woman for lunch or dinner. It's always nice to get out of the heat in the summer.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Hey rusnak, Don't I remember something about your O2 sensor's connection being damaged or brittle? You weren't testing the heating element wire were you? Long shot I know, but I'm just trying to set up another laugh line....

Your line about going to LA to escape the heat was kinda funny.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Hey DB, yep you have a good memory. I bought a new sensor wire connector, but have not had time to install a new wire to the O2 sensor yet.

Watching "24" right now...love that show.

Anyway, it gets really hot here in the summer. We usually go to the central coast (Morro Bay, Cayucos, Avila Beach, etc). But my girlfriend has a twin sister in Irvine, so we have been talking about visiting when work slows down a bit.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Name the date!
I'm still trying to get a date from Mr. Zimmermann. I owe him big time for my intake manifold gasket/ fuel lines/and lots of other stuff. When he sets a date to be here its gonna be a "book signing/ chips and salsa/ steak out/ and fun run" at the Cucamonga Carrera Cantina.

Nothing would be funner than a good old fashion tech session with some of you guys that actually know what you are doing. Let's face it...I can do nuts, bolts, gaskets, and wires...it's the AFM and the like that is over my head...

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 02-24-2009 at 01:49 AM. Reason: tech session
Old 02-24-2009, 02:27 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

that sounds like a fun time!

DB, I think my O2 sensor voltage was high because the engine was not warm yet. I was going to remove my O2 sensor to wire up a new connector, but I realized that "24" was going to be on, so I shut everything down and went back inside, lol. Can't miss Jack Bauer.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:35 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeap, Definitely want to check voltage when warm. when cold she will read rich.

You see 0.2-0.6 range is not too lean. It is rough ideal range but you always want to verify with the LM1.

Doug was reading 0.4-0.6. I was at 0.552-0.694 which was making my baby back fire (rich). I leaned her out 1/2 turn at the AFM and she leaned out just enough to supress the back fires. I may do one more 1/2 turn to be sure later.

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 02-24-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"You see 0.02-0.06 range is not too lean."

Don't think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe someone has a bad voltmeter, a bad O2 sensor, a bad ground,
or just doesn't know how to measure the O2 voltage. The O2 sensor
voltage should range from .40 to .80 volts and NOT as low as .02 - .06.
That range indicates a VERY lean condition. Again, continually posting
inaccurate info on this thread diminishes its credibility, i.e. It becomes
a joke as is the case for many threads over on the "Dark Side".

Bottom line: Do a search, as the O2 voltage range is mentioned (accurately)
MANY times here on Rennlist, and please don't continue to mislead those
that rely on Rennlist for reliable info.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:37 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

So you guys were having fun while I ... had to work that Saturday huh.

So a friend and fellow Rennlister comes over today in his Martini shoes.

We talk trash and work on the 911's.

Mine is an '88 cab and his is an '85 targa with an updated DME.

We check our O2's and they look good.

Then we perform the secret opps.

Afterwards we go for a drive......What happens next blows my legal defence right out of the water.

Mr. Zimmermann, we have a problem! (Pete, do not look at the last picture.)

We will be pleading the 5th on all questions regarding our DME's.....
Old 02-24-2009, 06:44 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

OK.......Mr. LorenFB,

If it is not too much effort for you, take another look at the 2nd DVM pic, page 1, it does read 0.694. So thank you for verifying that before you typed.

Doug's DVM was set on the wrong resolution so basically 1 decimal off.

My baby was running a bit rich ergo the Back Fires then as soon as I leaned her out 1/2 turn at the AFM, from what you stated as being too lean, it suppressed the back fires. Strange isn't it?

Bottom Line: I paid my fee just like you, Please don't make accusations that conflict with your statements. I can express my observations because I am not trying to sell anything related to this issue. It is up to each member to decide for themselves what is valid or not.

This was a Fun non-Official Side by Side Comparison of two of the best chips on the market. Quote That!

Anyways back to topic:

As I stated before we did not have a LM1 so we used the DVM/O2S to Verify proximate C/O readings before the test to make certain of our baby's health prior and after the test.

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 02-24-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)