Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:47 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"Agreed that PP won't be the place for support."

Probably for the more complicated one, but not for PNP chip.
That's why he needs someone to start an evaluation/feedback thread.
Just like what's continually done for the "other" one. This will also build
interest for the smaller number that will find interest in the more
complicated one.

Bottom line: More "in-your-face" time!
I wouldn't want straight retailers like PP or Paragon to carry the multi-board or tuning products, that would invite a support fiasco. Lindsey will carry these products because they have front line support already in place on a more technical level, and they are very familiar with all my products. But yes, the chip products could certainly be promoted there.

I was telling someone last night about an idea I had to negate the problem of different vendors having to exchange information, permissions, etc. I could package the multi-board with an inexpensive burner and a 27SF512 where the customer could read their own chips they already have, and I could furnish them images of any of mine that they want, as well as stock, valet, and no-start maps as I currently do for the Maxtronic/Maxtune customers. I would ad about 100 bucks to the price, but I'm starting to think it would really take off.

What do you think Loren?

Regards,
Russell
Old 02-28-2009, 03:29 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by rberry951
... to go with the salsa....
Hey DRACO A5OG, you get a package in the mail yet?
Old 02-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know Russell, I think you are thinking to yourself too loudly. We can all hear what comes next. A couple friends get together with one of your burners on some deserted stretch of road and start swapping chip maps 'till each guy finds the right one for his car. All you get is your $100.00 for the burner and a bunch of pissed off competitors. No?

Not that I don't want to be first in line to have one.....
Old 02-28-2009, 07:17 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
That's why he needs someone to start an evaluation/feedback thread.
Just like what's continually done for the "other" one.
Loren, Loren, Loren . . . maybe you should follow this plan too. We know that you rebuild/repair/resell cruise units, DMEs etc. We know that you have extensive knowledge that could be shared. Maybe if you played nice, we would be happy to steer business to you. There is only a small percentage of DIYs who dive into these things themselves. There is a much larger body of forum users who need advice & vendor recommendations.

Yes, SW has done well from the forums. Marcus Sucro, the same. And Daniel Stern. And Steve Weiner from Rennsport. Chuck from ER. Pete Z. The list goes on . . . and now we can include Russell. And how is this a bad thing?

As a 911 owner, I came to Rennlist & the ‘dark side’ forum to learn & to be entertained. I relish (and bookmark) the threads where I learn. I share my knowledge too & yes, I can get facts wrong & yes, I am always glad that there are alternate views to balance my opinions/ideas (or plain dumbass suggestions).

So Loren, I am calling you out.

Why don’t you become an active valuable contributing member to this forum rather than an annoying critic of posters and their attempts to share knowledge & ideas?

Ian
Old 02-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Olympic gold medalist Maris Strombergs of Latvia and Olympic silver medalist Mike Day of the U.S.A. team were at our local track today. Pros from around the world were there. What ever the pros did, my girls did. Notice the cast on Brianna's wrist.... just another day at the track.
Attached Images     
Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by imcarthur

Why don’t you become an active valuable contributing member to this forum rather than an annoying critic of posters and their attempts to share knowledge & ideas?

Ian

I would say the same thing, but put a different spin on it, and maybe go a step further.

I'm willing to go on record saying that first, vendors who post online in discussion forums are a valuable asset to the Porsche community, and second that we are seeing a kinder and gentler Loren lately. So long as he is willing to keep it civil, I would be an active supporter of his business and I would even help to promote whatever he was selling. I would be willing to buy rebuilt cruise control units, AFMs, DMEs, and rebuilt WURs from his company, even through Pelican if that were available.

In the bigger picture, supporting Rennlist and Pelican are an important contribution, as is being there to help fellow 911 owners. We all need to toe the line in terms of not putting each other down, and offering constructive comments when we feel it is helpful. I don't think this sort of thing is asking too much.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:25 AM
911cabriolet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a Porsche novice (owned almost two years, but yet to do anything other than maintenance and a short shift kit), I find a lot of the banter informative and confusing at the same time. I have been trying to follow this thread to see what chip would best suit my stock 84 cab, to no avail.

For "newbies" this is all very confusing.

I agree with the constructive criticism. Bashing another to promote one's self is a turn off to those of us just trying to get some useful information.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:24 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911cabriolet
I have been trying to follow this thread to see what chip would best suit my stock 84 cab, to no avail.
Fair question but there is no ‘right’ answer.

There are 2 vendors of chips that appear to be the ‘recommended’ ones. By ‘recommended’ I mean Internet forum user personal recommendations:

Russell Berry at MAXhpkit
Steve Wong of 911Chips

Both have a following, albeit Steve has been active on the forums for more years – not that that alone should be a determining factor. Both vendors are very approachable & worth talking directly to.

The other side of the coin . . .

There is also an anti-chip faction. They feel that Porsche knew what they were doing & it is potentially injurious to your engine to use an aftermarket chip. Variables like fuel quality/octane rating, integrity of the car’s setup & parts etc enter into the discussion as well.

For resources, search ‘chip’ or ‘chips’ here & on Pelican. You will find many hours of reading with surprisingly very little hard data. An enormous volume of butt dyno opinions. A large volume of arguing, insulting, disbelief, caution & enthusiasm. With a few bannings & ‘sit out’ periods thrown in for entertainment value.

Ian
Old 03-01-2009, 10:48 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

And for the record . . . I don't own either chip.

But Russell's multi-board sounds very, very intriguing. Just where in Upstate NY are you, Russell? I just might have to take a drive down this season.

Ian
Old 03-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Ian, rusnak, you guys are dead on. When we post contributions in a friendly way we all bring up the board and are much more likely to increase the usefulness of it and the population on it.

Two chips have risen to the top here.

By far Steve Wong has the biggest following. His chip is for the high end cars that are pushed beyond the showroom condition. What I mean is the cat bypass, stiffer bars, no back seats, turbo brake kinda cars. Track cars...

Russell Berry's chip is for the owner of a more stock weekend fun car. One that gets driven hard, on the edge of what a normal chassis can take, with awesome throttle response throughout the entire RPM band. Fun cars...

I so can't believe the PM I got from Russell yesterday. I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg from this guy.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Runs like new- while you're in there- install a XXXXX XXXX chip- best bang for buck!"

Posted over on the "dark side" in the last few days. And that's what I mean,
only 104 posts and making a promotion. Most likely has little idea what the
product really does, but when others see the post it really doesn't matter.
Where are Russell's supporters over there?

"His chip is for the high end cars that are pushed beyond the showroom condition"

Please!

"Russell Berry's chip is for the owner of a more stock weekend fun car."

Does a disservice to Russell expressed that way.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

"Where are Russell's supporters?"

Hello... I guess I don't count?
Old 03-01-2009, 02:15 PM
a 911 Widebody
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loren, Loren, Loren . . . maybe you should follow this plan too. We know that you rebuild/repair/resell cruise units, DMEs etc. We know that you have extensive knowledge that could be shared. Maybe if you played nice, we would be happy to steer business to you. There is only a small percentage of DIYs who dive into these things themselves. There is a much larger body of forum users who need advice & vendor recommendations.

Yes, SW has done well from the forums. Marcus Sucro, the same. And Daniel Stern. And Steve Weiner from Rennsport. Chuck from ER. Pete Z. The list goes on . . . and now we can include Russell. And how is this a bad thing?

As a 911 owner, I came to Rennlist & the ‘dark side’ forum to learn & to be entertained. I relish (and bookmark) the threads where I learn. I share my knowledge too & yes, I can get facts wrong & yes, I am always glad that there are alternate views to balance my opinions/ideas (or plain dumbass suggestions).

So Loren, I am calling you out.

Ian
Hum I thought it was just me, I guess he make a habit of doing this?
Hell, I am still waiting an answer to my question
Old 03-01-2009, 02:30 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

And for the record . . . I don't own either chip.

But Russell's multi-board sounds very, very intriguing. Just where in Upstate NY are you, Russell? I just might have to take a drive down this season.

Ian
Hey Ian,

I'm just west of Albany, NY in a town called Voorheesville. I live right at the foot of the Heldeberg escarpment, within walking distance of one of my favorite places on earth, seen in the pic below.
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Troll"

"Hell, I am still waiting an answer to my question"

And now for a total of 10 posts, 4 threads - 3 of which are B.S.!

Quick Reply: 3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)