Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:13 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's this?

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Oh no, not again!!! Why, why???
Old 02-27-2009, 07:19 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rnln
What's this?
I'm guessing either photo-shop practice, or an attempt to stir the pot a little...

He should have at least used the right sized chip!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
I think the chip would be a good fit for either repair/ performance shop, or guys like StrasseUSA, who make a living with hands on customer attention. Pelican is light on tech support, and the tech support on the web board is not always customer friendly. Automotive stuff in general is really slowing down right now. I almost think a parts place will need to be doing repairs and service to stay alive.
Agreed that PP won't be the place for support. But offering it on their site gives one access to create a demand on the forum, where there is a huge audience.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:35 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rnln
What's this?
Oh, just a bad habit I have of bringing up the past. I lifted that off a thread about a year ago and it's just been in my photo files at work ever since. I'll go find the thread.....
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Talking

Since we are on the sub-topic of past conflicting posts by our resident forum gestapo

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=140206

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showp...2&postcount=30

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showp...2&postcount=31

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showp...3&postcount=37 I love this one, I got slammed for doing the same thing, strange.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys, just reporting back in.

14.2 AFR is indeed the magic butter zone. RB sure knows what he is talking about.

The car just came alive and I now remember the performance that the car had when I first brought it home. The throttle is snappy and acceleration is just amazing. I am going to reinstall the lambda sensor later tonight after the car cools off and I take my dogs for an evening walk.

Here is the voltage reading for your photo files:

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I love this one, I got slammed for doing the same thing, strange."

Hardly! It was because of the consistent statement that the normal O2
voltage range was basically 1/10 what it actually is; i.e. And confirmed
by two Rennlist posters as being incorrect.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:52 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Agreed that PP won't be the place for support. But offering it on their site gives one access to create a demand on the forum, where there is a huge audience.
I think what we see on PP is the almighty dollar at work. The forum moves fast, and you see a lot of feedback about things that work and don't work. Some things, like the Sucro headlight relay, are given the thumbs up. Then you see these types of products added to the Pelican Parts catalog. Others, such as the Cool Collar and others, are vehemently panned and then quietly dropped. Regardless of what is offered on the Pelican catalog, 911 guys love and I mean love to talk about upgrades. It's what we do when two or more of us get together.

I don't think it matters much if the MaxHP chip is offered on any particular website or store. I do think it is not fully off the shelf plug and play from the standpoint that it seems to me you want to talk directly with Russell about what setup you want to run and that takes planning and execution. Maybe eventually a large enough "display" or questionnaire will be included on PP to make "made to order" possible. But some things, like interiors, suspension upgrades, etc are better done directly with the vendor.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:44 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Agreed on all points. But as an example, Chuck Moreland has gotten a lot of publicity and support for his products on Pelican. I may be wrong, but his following there probably put Elephant on the map. Most have probably bought directly from Chuck or at least communicated with him. I've bought from him, and I've bought his goodies on PP-pricing seems to be transparent. But, if PP didn't have the goodies in their catalog, the license to hunt doesn't exist-which is really the point. Once some press is generated on the multi-board, assuming it is what it seems to be in this discussion, the snowball starts to roll.

Originally Posted by rusnak
I think what we see on PP is the almighty dollar at work. The forum moves fast, and you see a lot of feedback about things that work and don't work. Some things, like the Sucro headlight relay, are given the thumbs up. Then you see these types of products added to the Pelican Parts catalog. Others, such as the Cool Collar and others, are vehemently panned and then quietly dropped. Regardless of what is offered on the Pelican catalog, 911 guys love and I mean love to talk about upgrades. It's what we do when two or more of us get together.

I don't think it matters much if the MaxHP chip is offered on any particular website or store. I do think it is not fully off the shelf plug and play from the standpoint that it seems to me you want to talk directly with Russell about what setup you want to run and that takes planning and execution. Maybe eventually a large enough "display" or questionnaire will be included on PP to make "made to order" possible. But some things, like interiors, suspension upgrades, etc are better done directly with the vendor.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:52 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Two comments on this:

1. What happened to the Loren in these posts? Civil and lucid, IMO. When and where did it all go south?

2. Why are we developing the habit of resurrecting old threads? I told Doug the other day he was developing a bad habit in doing so. It's the American way to contradict one's self once in a while..... Why don't we all look to the future??

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
Since we are on the sub-topic of past conflicting posts by our resident forum gestapo

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=140206

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showp...2&postcount=30

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showp...2&postcount=31

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showp...3&postcount=37 I love this one, I got slammed for doing the same thing, strange.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:22 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Ed, good points made on all counts. Chuck has been a gentleman and a saint in dealing with the feedback. I think Loren (I don't mean to be speaking for him, just an example, maybe a poor one) refers to the unpredicatability of this feedback. Some of it is not well-considered, and some is.

I have spoken with Chuck and he helped me out of a bind by agreeing to sell me some of his goodies, including the "Chuck nut" for the oil thermostat. I agree that Wayne is within his rights to limit discussion to items that he carries. It is his house and he has every right to do so because the parts business is his bread and butter. Chuck is a down and out great guy. No further comment from me on the limits of internet feedback. I think Otto may have some interesting comments on that subject.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

ok, the reason I'm chiming back in is that I need to editorize my own information.

There is a section in "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management" under the section on Pulsed Injection. Spefically, the Section 7 "Mixture Control and Lambda Control" that deals with Motronic Lambda control has two important tests: Rich Stop Test and Lean Stop Test. I think this is an important part of determining proper lambda function and operation of the "Closed Loop" CO mixture. It describes disconnecting the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator for Rich Stop, and opening the oil reservoir cap for Lean Stop Test.

I need to spend time on Sunday to perform these tests and understand them. The voltage measurement of the Lambda sensor is only a part of the picture apparently. My time is already committed tomorrow, Saturday so I won't be able to check back until Sunday at the earliest.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:03 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

berry, doug,
What I confused about is the logo. I have not came to the board for a while. Does loren sell chip now, or someone (doug?) just paste loren's logo their to blackmail him?

Originally Posted by rberry951
I'm guessing either photo-shop practice, or an attempt to stir the pot a little...

He should have at least used the right sized chip!
Old 02-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

rnln, that chip was photoshoped by a fellow rennlister last April. .....Or so the story goes. It was posted under the title "Anyone recognize this chip" It set off quite the firestorm and was eventualy the thread got locked....but we still had our PM's.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Agreed that PP won't be the place for support."

Probably for the more complicated one, but not for PNP chip.
That's why he needs someone to start an evaluation/feedback thread.
Just like what's continually done for the "other" one. This will also build
interest for the smaller number that will find interest in the more
complicated one.

Bottom line: More "in-your-face" time!

Quick Reply: 3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)