Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:09 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Ian, rusnak, you guys are dead on. When we post contributions in a friendly way we all bring up the board and are much more likely to increase the usefulness of it and the population on it.

Two chips have risen to the top here.

By far Steve Wong has the biggest following. His chip is for the high end cars that are pushed beyond the showroom condition. What I mean is the cat bypass, stiffer bars, no back seats, turbo brake kinda cars. Track cars...

Russell Berry's chip is for the owner of a more stock weekend fun car. One that gets driven hard, on the edge of what a normal chassis can take, with awesome throttle response throughout the entire RPM band. Fun cars...

I so can't believe the PM I got from Russell yesterday. I think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg from this guy.

Well stated opinion of your experience in my book, given that the basis of that experience being comparison of one vendors customized chip to another vendor's (possibly beta version) 'off the shelf' chip. As has already been stated in the thread.

I posted here about the multi-board coupled with a chip burner I wrote you about. And I re-wrote the Multimax program to include the chip writing program call. I tend to base my development work on 'perceived demand', not necessarily 'projected market share'. But all fall within the bounds of Return On Investment. For instance, I originally wanted to put together a turbo kit for the 3.2L 911, but the marketing of the existing MAF and chip products did not indicate there would be any ROI. That doesn't mean in the future that won't change. If I can peak interest in such a kit and have the cash to fund the venture, I will do it. But the things like the Multi-board span many markets. Chip products are very easy for me to customize, so work done therein is more based on the motivation of community interest rather than ROI. As the only investment is my time. It doesn't hurt me financially to contribute some of my time to a venture which may not net earnings.

If my motivation was to sell products to sustain a living, this thread would not exist, I would have had to quit two years ago. But I don't make a living from MAXhpkit, I make a living marketing 25 years of computer expertise. My motivation for developing performance products for cars is personal, and my only financial goal for it is that one day it will fund my own track addiction.

So when someone says "hey, you know what would be really neat..." I'll tend to ponder it and if others in the community feel the same way about it I may very well build it and offer it. Regardless of any earning projections.

At the end of the day, if someone has called me during the course of that day saying "I love how my car performs now!" it's a very good day.

Regards,
Russell
Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

911cabriolet,

the "which chip is best" question is one of those potentially acrimonious areas of dispute, right there along with "which motor oil is best", "does a K&N air filter increase horsepower" etc etc.

The truth is that which chip is best, and whether you should buy one at all is up to your own situation, type of use, etc. and it is prudent to read the threads before buying. I like the idea of having multiple chip modes on a single chip, so I will likely buy the MaxHPkit chip when the new buttons are available for the multi board. I am interested in seeing how the anti-theft feature may be done.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:40 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by rusnak
911cabriolet,

I am interested in seeing how the anti-theft feature may be done.
That's quite simple actually, one map is all zeros, when selected it looks to the computer like there is no chip installed, hence the car cannot be started.

The valet maps have more relaxed timing than stock, and a very low rev limiter in the range of 2500-3200 rpm, or what ever the customer wants it to be.

Regards,
Russell
Old 03-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

too bad we can't vote guys off the island

You guys would have been rid of me along time ago.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:32 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I vote we put LFB and Doug on an island together with one of everything so they have to share
Old 03-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I hope this island will do:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ht=saint+lucia

I know, bad habit.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:47 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

oh man, DB. I hope my GF doesn't see that thread. I wanna buy me some toys from Russell's workshop.

RB, I'm grateful to Doug for bringing your chip to my attention. I'm planning to buy the chip, and the multiboard when the new buttons are ready to go. My questions are way more basic, such as do I need to cut a hole in the DME shell to feed the cables through, and where do the buttons get mounted? Do I need to reach under the seat to diable the DME? And how easy is it to switch from one DME mode to the other? That kind of thing.

When the new multiboard is ready, can you post a thread here so I can be made aware of it? Thanks!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:00 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

oh man, DB. I hope my GF doesn't see that thread. I wanna buy me some toys from Russell's workshop.

RB, I'm grateful to Doug for bringing your chip to my attention. I'm planning to buy the chip, and the multiboard when the new buttons are ready to go. My questions are way more basic, such as do I need to cut a hole in the DME shell to feed the cables through, and where do the buttons get mounted? Do I need to reach under the seat to diable the DME? And how easy is it to switch from one DME mode to the other? That kind of thing.

When the new multiboard is ready, can you post a thread here so I can be made aware of it? Thanks!
Yeah, I'd sure like to be on that island right now, instead of sitting here about to bombarded with YET another snow storm!!

I'm going to be getting the switches in this week, they have been shipped. I'll build as needed, and stock pile in my spare time. So you can order any time

I'm posting a picture of the switch, it'll have 6' of cable on it, you can mount it where ever you want. Ideally it would be concealed. Very simple to operate. You can reference the Maxtronic installation procedure found HERE to see how the cable will come out of the DME housing. All easy stuff. The installation of the Multi-Board is very straightforward, just like installing a chip.

I also urge all customers to join my support forum at http://forums.maxhpkit.com as I tend to post a lot of product info there.

Regards,
Russell
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2009, 10:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

oh wow. I'll go check it out.

I re-installed my cat bypass just now, after making into a test pipe by adding a second O2 sensor bung. This is my first real look at what the O2 sensor is doing.

I found that although I adjusted the afr to 14.2 without the O2 sensor connected, as soon as I re-connected it, the ratio went to 14.7 and fluctuated between 1.0 and 1.01 lambda no matter what I tried. I also did the lean stop and rich stop tests by opening the oil reservior cap, then disconnecting the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. In both cases, after about a second the afr returned back to 14.7 after jumping to lean or to rich.

I guess this means that the O2 sensor is working? You could tell the engine runs better at 14.2 but I can't get it to do so with the O2 sensor connected. Is this why people buy a performance chip?

(P.S. the Fabspeed cat bypass original bung is the forward one. It is not ideal for the factory O2 sensor wires, which are fragile. I know I should have them mounted the other way, but I wanted to mount the dme O2 sensor at the juction point).

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:13 PM
a 911 Widebody
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"Troll"

"Hell, I am still waiting an answer to my question"

And now for a total of 10 posts, 4 threads - 3 of which are B.S.!
Lol I'm the troll,
http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/hatemail.htm

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=391950

I hope you own that company, It will go down with you. Even if you knew what the hell your talking about your people skills will sure drive customers away.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

oh wow. I'll go check it out.

I re-installed my cat bypass just now, after making into a test pipe by adding a second O2 sensor bung. This is my first real look at what the O2 sensor is doing.

I found that although I adjusted the afr to 14.2 without the O2 sensor connected, as soon as I re-connected it, the ratio went to 14.7 and fluctuated between 1.0 and 1.01 lambda no matter what I tried. I also did the lean stop and rich stop tests by opening the oil reservior cap, then disconnecting the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator. In both cases, after about a second the afr returned back to 14.7 after jumping to lean or to rich.

I guess this means that the O2 sensor is working? You could tell the engine runs better at 14.2 but I can't get it to do so with the O2 sensor connected. Is this why people buy a performance chip?

(P.S. the Fabspeed cat bypass original bung is the forward one. It is not ideal for the factory O2 sensor wires, which are fragile. I know I should have them mounted the other way, but I wanted to mount the dme O2 sensor at the juction point).
That is a sweet exhaust.

That is the behavior of the O2 sensor. It's a real simple feedback loop, electronically and routinely in the DME. When the engine is at idle, not in the WOT map, and not accelerating it is in closed loop mode. Which I'm sure you already knew. It will dither erratically. If you connected 10 of them in a row, they would show consistently erratic behavior. Kind of like Doug.

Some vendors choose to not enter closed loop mode to always control AFR and not battle the closed loop routines. Others actually run everything in a sort of closed loop mode where the O2 sensor essentially controls AFR in all ranges. I chose to keep the closed loop mode, and many other factory functions and let the thing do its job. On most cars I've tuned myself I would disconnect the O2 sensor during the tuning, and the car would run better than ever when it was reconnected. I'm sure most tuners are capable of dictating lambda references in the DME and changing the behavior. Give a wiz kid a car and a computer and god knows what can happen. Everyone has different methods and practices to obtain the end result.

You could stick a wide band in one of those bungs and have a true visual reference, reading the narrow band is like reading the 'acme honey corp' stamp on the tip of a honey bee's wing as it flies by.

Regards,
Russell
Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rberry951
they would show consistently erratic behavior. Kind of like Doug.
Regards,
Russell
While you guys were talking chips I was at the park calling in a 5150 on one of our day care kids. My oldest is on her way home from the hospital and the cops are finally done with us. Three hours of my evening gone. $175/week of my wife's income gone. The kids mother flat out told the cops she didn't want her son. So bottom line....when he was done beating up my 16 year old girl, he turned his attention to me and I introduced him to the full nelson. The first officer that showed up figured I was doing a good enough job restraining him that he just left me there. It took a couple minutes before I convinced him that I really do have a pacemaker and this 11 kid had fully beat the crap out of me and exhausted me to the point that I couldn't stand up. Ya, ya, I got my *** handed to me by an 11 year old kid. What did you do for fun tonight?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:57 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

That is crazy!!! what is a 5150? Is your girl ok? Couldn't you just pants him and introduce him to the Full Monty instead of the Half Nelson?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150_(I...ychiatric_hold)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZTYYusUl6M
Old 03-02-2009, 02:08 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by douglas bray
While you guys were talking chips I was at the park calling in a 5150 on one of our day care kids. My oldest is on her way home from the hospital and the cops are finally done with us. Three hours of my evening gone. $175/week of my wife's income gone. The kids mother flat out told the cops she didn't want her son. So bottom line....when he was done beating up my 16 year old girl, he turned his attention to me and I introduced him to the full nelson. The first officer that showed up figured I was doing a good enough job restraining him that he just left me there. It took a couple minutes before I convinced him that I really do have a pacemaker and this 11 kid had fully beat the crap out of me and exhausted me to the point that I couldn't stand up. Ya, ya, I got my *** handed to me by an 11 year old kid. What did you do for fun tonight?
That is messed up. How's your daughter holding up?

What's this world coming to?

Quick Reply: 3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)