Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'72 911T Hot Rod Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 10:27 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Another boring update- but an update none the less! I received my ARP flywheel bolts today - much earlier than expected. I also received the complete motor gasket kit.

This is one of my favorite times of the year for Porsche stuff. It is the annual LA Literature Show and Open Houses. I have never gone to the Literature Show,, but enjoy the open houses and swap meet. Hoping to pick up some parts the next couple days!

Old 02-27-2020, 12:41 PM
myflat6
Drifting

I am leaning towards a Monty muffler. One of these dual outlet styles - any feedback out there on these specific mufflers? I have read about Monty in general in the forums, but haven't found anything specific about the fitment and sound of these two versions.

Old 02-27-2020, 03:01 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I like my cowhorn style Monty a lot!

OTOH, if I were hot-rodding my motor today, I'd likely go with RarelyL8's offerings.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:57 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Great day at Sierra Madre today for their open house/SMC Autofest. Ordered a set of aluminum rear bumper guards from them, but they will take 2-4 weeks to get - that's ok, it is hard to complain about free craft beer and beautiful sunshine!

Old 02-28-2020, 10:08 AM
myflat6
Drifting

Originally Posted by r911
I like my cowhorn style Monty a lot!

OTOH, if I were hot-rodding my motor today, I'd likely go with RarelyL8's offerings.
The Monty mufflers that I have heard had a great sound. I am a little concerned with the M&K/Rarely as some say they are too loud. Sound is so subjective though.

I did some research today and found that the Monty will require trimming of the rear valence. Dansk offers a dual center muffler that doesn't require modifying the valence. I have a Dansk on my SC and like the sound.

What I do like about M&K/Rarely is they can customize the sound and the tailpipe design. I may work with them to see what they can do.

I saw this car yesterday. There were no cutouts in the rear valance required. I believe this is the Dansk.

Old 02-28-2020, 02:54 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Brian/mb911/RarelyLat8/m&k/.... now have one with a control valve or flap in it to select different SPLs

I think it is well worth your while to contact them and discuss.

Then there was an attempt at the ultimate muffler - carbon fiber with Ti for the magical 964 evo that Robert Linton is creating...

Akrapovic makes a bunch of Ti exhausts for the water pumper cars, and I always wondered why they never did anything for air cooled.

The muffler is the heaviest component slung way out behind the rear axle, and that distance is critical for the polar moment of inertia as it is squared in that equation, unlike wt. balance which is merely linear with distance from the Cg.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:12 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,074 Posts

mufflers and sound are pretty personal, some can help with, or take away from performance. Drone, noise level, etc, everyone has different tolerances.

I'm going with an MK with valves controlled by motec. And their headers, with heat. Will keep the dansk sport I have too, in case I don't love it. I like loud, i have 2 VERY loud cars. But this one... well, wife likes to ride in it LOL.
Old 03-13-2020, 06:48 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Well, things continue to move slow with shops/vendors. Got bored and completed the purchase of what I needed to complete my 18mm front sway bar setup. Way back earlier in my thread I mentioned that I was going with an 18mm setup from early 930's. I had located all of the parts except the bar. This is not the standard 18mm setup that you can more easily find, this is specifically the setup for the early 930. The bar ends are larger and designed to fit into the beefier arms. Because it is so difficult to find these parts (not many early 930's produced), Steve Longballa sells a complete kit on Early S. I only needed the bar, which I finally circled back and purchased from Steve. Steve has these bars custom made for him. What is great is this setup will look like factory Porsche, except the bar is hollow - bonus!

I only need the rubber bushings for the drop links, otherwise my 930 front sway bar setup is complete. All Porsche factory except the bar.

Last edited by myflat6; 03-13-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-14-2020, 01:27 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Good stuff!

I installed my 18mm bar, arns etc. All Porsche bits,as well, save the bar. All from Scott ( good man!) I found with my ride height, the droplinks are too long. Will likely go to adjustables, or will cut to fit.

I had an M&K track muffler, which came with my car. Too loud for me. Sold it and now have SSIs and the Dansk Sport muffler. Great sound. Would also love the idea of a lighter exhaust. May work with M&K later, as his work is nice, and units are lighter. The idea of titanium is interesting.

Driving four long days to and from the Hill Country Rallye, the current set up was very good. Not too loud and no drone at cruising speeds, but it wakes up when you lean on it.

Enjoy !!
Old 03-14-2020, 09:32 AM
myflat6
Drifting

I have to check your car out sometime - and really want to do the Hill Country Rallye in the future!
Old 03-15-2020, 01:25 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
Well, things continue to move slow with shops/vendors. Got bored and completed the purchase of what I needed to complete my 18mm front sway bar setup. Way back earlier in my thread I mentioned that I was going with an 18mm setup from early 930's. I had located all of the parts except the bar. This is not the standard 18mm setup that you can more easily find, this is specifically the setup for the early 930. The bar ends are larger and designed to fit into the beefier arms. Because it is so difficult to find these parts (not many early 930's produced), Steve Longballa sells a complete kit on Early S. I only needed the bar, which I finally circled back and purchased from Steve. Steve has these bars custom made for him. What is great is this setup will look like factory Porsche, except the bar is hollow - bonus!

I only need the rubber bushings for the drop links, otherwise my 930 front sway bar setup is complete. All Porsche factory except the bar.
I have Longballa's full kit on my car front. Rear you can still get 18mm factory. The setup works well with the 21/26 torsions at the just under 2200 lbs weight. I believe Tarett may have the bars made for him. I think it's a 19mm diameter, but hollow with an 18mm rate... IIRC
Feeling motivated this AM, may tackle installing new digressive valved Von Shocks on mine... !!!!
Old 03-15-2020, 02:06 PM
myflat6
Drifting

You are correct about the Longballa Bar. Good stuff. I have had the rear setup for a while - in the stack of parts waiting to be installed lol. Good luck with the install!
Old 03-24-2020, 06:31 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Tired of being quarantined I figured I would finally get my heads out to the machine shop. So, I headed to Ollie's for a long drive - better than staying couped up in the house another day. Plus, I wasnt violating social distancing and was more or less quarantined in my car lol.

So the plan is a full port and polish. They will open the intake ports to from 32mm to 36mm (both intake and exhaust) and remove excess material and polish. Complete 3 angle valve job and replace/repair a few exhaust studs.

I snapped a photo of one of the heads in its ugly state - cant wait to see them pretty.

Last edited by myflat6; 03-24-2020 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:42 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Well, being home all day I find myself sampling more craft beers and ordering a lot of Porsche parts. I have a growing stash of parts that I get to look forward to arriving at my quarantine casa.

This arrived today from Patrick Motorsports. While a rather insignificant part, it is an encouraging reminder of what's to come.

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Old 04-04-2020, 03:13 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Had to drop by some parts at Andy's shop to allow him to continue fitting panels before final welding. My car was moved a 2-post lift to allow him to get under the front suspension pan area. Work is slow but gaining momentum. Some Wilhoit cars had moved on from his shop and one of the first speedsters made in '54 was a new arrival. My lowly T has patiently waited.

If you recall, I had purchased an aluminum decklid. Andy is going to need to trim and weld the outer edge as it is a tad too long as shown below.

Here she is on the lift:

Quick Reply: '72 911T Hot Rod Build