Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 02:24 AM
white2abbit
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hk43
@white2abbit very jealous of your imminent freedom. Once I'm there will find more reasons to drive I'm sure so perhaps!
I only got it a week ago and just hit 1,800km. I'm leaving tomorrow for 6 weeks and really wanted to make sure I could experience it before I left! That being said I think I've probably only made it to 8,500rpm. But what a car!
The following users liked this post:
Jay Cordeiro (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 02:26 AM
white2abbit
Instructor

My only gripe with the car so far is that it's really tough to listen to a podcast (Bose speakers), no matter if the roof is on or off, windows up or down IF you're doing highway speeds (100km/h+). That might seem a bit silly but I typically do a lot of road tripping in my cars and sometimes you just need to kill time on a boring straight highway with a good podcast...but oh well, I'll manage! The sound system is actually pretty solid for music though
keithpx33 (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 04:26 AM
Ferrarisimo
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Yc911Kid
I know, just talking about the visual impression, doesn't have a strong satin look from these pics
The silver and SA finishes on these magnesium Weissach wheels do look a lot more similar than they did on the 991.1 R and 991.2 Touring aluminum wheels.
Old 06-17-2024, 12:33 PM
hk43
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by white2abbit
My only gripe with the car so far is that it's really tough to listen to a podcast (Bose speakers), no matter if the roof is on or off, windows up or down IF you're doing highway speeds (100km/h+). That might seem a bit silly but I typically do a lot of road tripping in my cars and sometimes you just need to kill time on a boring straight highway with a good podcast...but oh well, I'll manage! The sound system is actually pretty solid for music though
I also find the road noise at 100 km/h+ to be louder than my Spyder to the point where you have to consciously talk loudly to have a conversation with your passenger. But why listen to podcasts or have casual conversation when you can listen to that engine!

Also, since we are talking about gripes I also wonder why the holder for the roof in the back is made from styrofoam? You would think they could have sourced something nicer for that purpose, though I'm sure styrofoam offers weight-savings. Also had one of the caps fall off the end of the roof piping like has been mentioned by someone here previously and almost lost it in the parking lot. It also leaves a sharper metal edge when it falls off which made me thankful for my ppf. That would be gripe #2 but the rest has been fantastic...
Old 06-20-2024, 12:59 PM
white2abbit
Instructor

Originally Posted by hk43
But why listen to podcasts or have casual conversation when you can listen to that engine!
I don't think I ever would if I lived in the Dolomites, but living in Ontario, Canada and dealing with the world's most boring straight highways with tons of traffic, music/podcasts have their place :P
Mike981S (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 01:04 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Originally Posted by white2abbit
I don't think I ever would if I lived in the Dolomites, but living in Ontario, Canada and dealing with the world's most boring straight highways with tons of traffic, music/podcasts have their place :P
As a Dallas-area resident, I Approve This Statement. :-/

Which is why I think that so much of the SRS-derived pleasure being from playing with the transmission (downshift bark!) makes it better suited for making "boring roads" more entertaining.

Last edited by Adrift; 06-20-2024 at 04:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Adrift:
Holdens (06-20-2024), Mike981S (06-20-2024), white2abbit (07-01-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 04:15 PM
coldfire
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 57 Posts

I think I might start another thread to share my SRS vs Spyder experience if folks are interested (and ultimately, which one I'm deciding to keep), but just some initial thoughts from the first 1000 km:

This thing is really so good. It's surprising how little chatter and discourse there is on it outside of places like here. Even someone with a GT3 who was at the dealer when I was doing my delivery didn't know what it was (didn't even know what engine it had).

Videos of the intake sounds really don't do it justice. I'm especially surprised how "old school" it sounds at least below 7k RPM. I have a Datsun 240Z with basically a triple carb race motor, and it really reminds me of that. Except if my head was in the engine bay because of the clarity and volume of the noise. And then there's the variety and tone changes of sounds. Everything from seemingly turbo noises to full on race car. I can't wait for 9k.

The top is not an issue at all and in fact it's become an unexpectedly standout feature of the car. Sure, a lot more finicky than even the Spyder top. But also more special and tactile, almost like a pre-drive ritual. And it's like a little mini game that I get better at each time. The various modes of the top also change the driving experience and almost acts like a control on different levels of intake noise. From least to greatest: top + weather protector < top fully off < top-only. I've actually driven the most in top-only "bimini" mode as it not only provides shade from sun, but also intake noises are clearer than the top fully off.

Many small things add up to a big overall difference compared to my Spyder. The slightly faster steering, suspension that is just as compliant but somehow more capable, the shorter gear ratios, etc. A "greater than the sum of its parts" situation for sure.

The exhaust has the similar unpleasant tone and occasional boominess for me as the OEM Spyder exhaust. I thought it wouldn't matter in the SRS due to intake noise dominating, but at least in more casual driving I can still hear the exhaust and in some ways it detracts from the purity of the intake noises. I find myself often just leaving valves closed, but I may consider an exhaust that has a better tone and less boominess as long as the volume level doesn't increase much.

This is my first fun car that's not a manual, so the PDK was the biggest question mark for me. So far with this motor and overall package I am very happy. A lot of that is probably how short the ratios are, but it just seems to match the character of the car. It's not as sterile as I thought (gives a nice jolt on some downshifts), and I find I really enjoy using the lever to shift in manual mode. My one nitpick is I wish the lever would stay locked in manual mode unless the top button is pressed, as I've accidentally shifted it over to auto a few times. All this said though - I'd still want the manual in my Spyder as I think it's a better fit for that car. Maybe though with shorter gearing after experiencing the SRS ratios

Something I haven't seen anyone talk about is just the range of this car. And I don't mean fuel efficiency - that's horrible and I wish I could spec a bigger fuel tank. Similar to the Spyder for me, I think the SRS is amazing for both mundane (city streets, cruising) and epic driving (glorious backroads, track). But what I wasn't expecting is that the envelope for that seems even wider than the Spyder. I can be going down a straight road and just be entertained by the race car intake noises. And then once I do get some speed and lateral Gs in, the composure and feel are definitely a step above the Spyder. And then of course there's the insane upper power band I have yet to experience during break in. Although so far, the 4.0 in the Spyder really holds its own minus the intake noise insanity.

I'm making it seem like a clear winner over the Spyder, but actually they are different enough in experience that it's not. The manual is a big factor for me, and also I may be a bit more hesitant driving the RS in some cases. Once already I've decided not to drive the RS somewhere because I was worried about the parking situation (I wouldn't have had the same worry with the Spyder).

Last edited by coldfire; 06-20-2024 at 04:24 PM.
The following 18 users liked this post by coldfire:
348SStb (06-20-2024), Adrift (06-20-2024), Angryinch (06-21-2024), AWDman (06-20-2024), Bill_76 (06-20-2024), carcommander (06-20-2024), Emsworth (06-22-2024), ISPYA718 (06-21-2024), JAhmed (06-20-2024), Jay Cordeiro (06-21-2024), Mark718 (07-07-2024), Mike981S (06-20-2024), n4v4nod (06-20-2024), RedCarrot (06-20-2024), TOporschefan (06-21-2024), UncleDude (06-20-2024), wander (06-20-2024), white2abbit (07-02-2024) and 13 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-20-2024, 04:21 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,278 Posts

As a lot of srs buyers here are coming from spyders, direct comparisons are VERY welcome. Thanks! Keep them coming, please.
The following 4 users liked this post by Adrift:
Bill_76 (06-20-2024), coldfire (06-20-2024), UncleDude (06-20-2024), wander (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 04:42 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 509 Likes on 287 Posts

@coldfire

Excellent writeup!

I especially agree with the “ritual” aspect of the top operation and like the way you spoke about it.
coldfire (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 04:53 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,659 Likes on 2,082 Posts

I'll echo many of @coldfire comments -- eerily so.

I had a 987 Spyder for several years and almost 20K miles so well acquainted with the two piece top (sun shade + weather protector). Think most who own 987 or 718 RS will agree the top is something to be cherished, perhaps the 2nd best feature. I missed it when I moved to the 718 Spyder. 718 Spyder top up an unloved combo for me...RS with sun shade; pure enjoyment.

718 Spyder PDK Spyder for 3.5 years and 17K miles. Loved the Spyder PDK -- so this maniacal box even better. 718 PDK Spyder to 718 Spyder RS....they are so different, if blind-folded would be hard to trace the DNA.

I'll reserve some more detailed thoughts after the run-in period.

Think a few reviewers have stated: "If you can get one -- do it" -- yes, times 1000.
The following 7 users liked this post by TXshaggy:
Adrift (06-20-2024), coldfire (06-20-2024), JAhmed (06-20-2024), Jay Cordeiro (06-21-2024), n4v4nod (06-20-2024), nerdtalker (06-23-2024), UncleDude (06-20-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-21-2024, 04:59 AM
monkiboy48
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Ok, finally got to do a first drive after a couple of weeks of tint and ppf. It's a short drive but got to 100 miles. Following the ap break in method just like I did with my previous 991.1 gt3 and have been limiting it to 5k with no full throttle.

Sound - I have no idea why everyone keeps complaining about how loud and annoying the noise is. As long as the pse is off there isn't any drone or noise at all when just cruising at a steady state speed on the freeway. With pse on though, the noise is very different than my previous cars. My previous cars were mostly exhaust, but the spyder rs has a great mixture of intake sound layered on top of the exhaust. It's like a little symphony with the high end brass (trumpet) perfectly layered on the low end brass (baritone) and comes together to make the most "harmonic" sound. Granted, I am limiting myself to 5k and it just starts "waking" up at 4500 rpm so excited to add more miles to slowly increase the revs. Will look into a valve controller to keep the exhaust valve open all the time while still retaining the ability to close the valves for when leaving and coming back home on my street.

Handling - I haven't really pushed it on my favorite windy roads yet as I am still getting used to the car but on a few of the turns I noticed the spyder rs to have a nice amount of "give" in the suspension that gives me a strong reassurance of grip. My last car was a 458 Speciale and that car was way more stiff which gave it a very "on your toes" feeling, like dancing. You get feedback from the Speciale on when you loose grip because the tail starts to slide (very gradually and controllably) but because of how stiff it is you can't really tell when it is just at the cusp of sliding. The spyder rs has that right amount of "give" to give you confidence on how much grip you have or have left (in my humble opinion). AutoTopNL said it best, that the softer suspension gives you more feedback on available grip. In terms of the sport suspension or normal, I just leave it in the sport mode all the time because I like the feedback it gives in the stiffer setting. After I get more comfortable with the car I will be able to provide more feedback on steering feel but right now, it feels good!

Other - I put up the top for the first time today by myself. I wanted to do it at home so everyone wasn't staring at me trying to figure it out in the showroom. It is definitely a pain in the butt, primarily because I am so worried of dropping something and scratching the paint or carbon fiber pieces. I am sure it will get easier with time but if it doesn't, I may get the spyder cover thing that is on another dedicated thread. I just want to make sure no bugs or roaches get in the car overnight in my garage. Also, i will be leaving the top at home next drive as I got to experience first hand how heavy the top is. Granted, it's super light compared to the normal top mechanism but it is heavy and kind of clunky to install and remove by yourself while on a drive so might as well just leave it at home and check the weather forecast before leaving the house. If there is a chance of rain, will leave the Bimini on from home and go drive as is.

One last thing, those buckets are a pain to get out of! Don't get me wrong, I would never spec the sofas but I wish it could be like the Ferrari carbon buckets. I had the carbon buckets in my 430 scud, f12, and 458 speciale and while they are difficult to get out of as well, it's easy peasy compared to the Porsche buckets. I ordered my 991.1 gt3 with the sofas cause the carbon buckets had a stop sale due to lack of availability at the time my order locked.

I will update as I put more miles on the car.

Here's a quick video I took in 5th gear at partial throttle up to 5k. The video doesn't fully replicate the symphony of the intake layered on the exhaust but it was worth a shot to record it. I did it in the tunnel to help bring more exhaust noise into the phone.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1159.mov (18.02 MB, 83 views)
The following 7 users liked this post by monkiboy48:
coldfire (06-21-2024), Drifting (06-21-2024), hk43 (06-21-2024), Mike981S (06-21-2024), TOporschefan (06-21-2024), wander (06-21-2024), Yc911Kid (06-21-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-21-2024, 10:49 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,659 Likes on 2,082 Posts

^^^^ Why limit the run-in to below 5K?

The OM says below 7K.

Top, you’ll get used to it and find that it doesn’t take much more time than the full Spyder top. Sunshade only…
Old 06-21-2024, 11:27 AM
coldfire
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by monkiboy48
My previous cars were mostly exhaust, but the spyder rs has a great mixture of intake sound layered on top of the exhaust. It's like a little symphony with the high end brass (trumpet) perfectly layered on the low end brass (baritone) and comes together to make the most "harmonic" sound.
This reminds me of a thought I had playing around with PSE. It's almost like it adds bass to the soundtrack (or like turning on/off a subwoofer in an audio system). Definitely noticeable when PSE is on, but like I said before I'm not sure it does much to enhance the overall tone of the sound other than adding "bass".
Old 06-21-2024, 03:26 PM
monkiboy48
Instructor

Originally Posted by coldfire
This reminds me of a thought I had playing around with PSE. It's almost like it adds bass to the soundtrack (or like turning on/off a subwoofer in an audio system). Definitely noticeable when PSE is on, but like I said before I'm not sure it does much to enhance the overall tone of the sound other than adding "bass".
That's a good way to describe it but because of the open roof you can hear the exhaust adding another texture to the sound and not just bass. I wonder if the gt4rs pse is a better example of the exhaust just adding bass since it's harder to hear the exhaust due to it not being an open top.
Old 06-21-2024, 03:28 PM
monkiboy48
Instructor

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
^^^^ Why limit the run-in to below 5K?

The OM says below 7K.

Top, you’ll get used to it and find that it doesn’t take much more time than the full Spyder top. Sunshade only…
Just want to follow the ap method. I did the same with my gt3. It's like foreplay, a little more every hundred miles or so.

Yeah, I am sure the top will get easier the more I do it.

Quick Reply: Spyder RS driving/ownership impressions