Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 11:08 PM
Evo X
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by manouk
Also how would you keep the beauty of buttresses on trunk with automatic top.
My 812 GTS has buttresses with a full power hardtop
The following users liked this post:
JAhmed (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 11:24 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,287 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Evo X
My 812 GTS has buttresses with a full power hardtop
812 GTS has an amazing engine and one of the best sounds on the planet.

It also has a full power hardtop. I would expect that in a car that is so much larger and so much heavier than a two seat lightweight roadster (SRS).

A 812 GTS is six inches wider and a full foot longer than an SRS. Despite this the GTS has 25% less cargo space.
The 812 GTS weighs also 900lbs more than the SRS and handles like the big heavy grand cruiser it is.

An 812 GTS is great for crossing continents in style and comfort, but not for engaging weekend drives, which is the purpose of my Spyder RS.

Last edited by Drifting; 05-19-2024 at 12:04 AM.
Mike981S (06-04-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 11:35 PM
Evo X
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
812 GTS has an amazing engine and one of the best sounds on the planet.

It also has a full power hardtop. I would expect that in a car that is so much larger and so much heavier than a two seat lightweight roadster (SRS).

A 812 GTS is six inches wider and a full foot longer than an SRS. Despite this the GTS has 25% less cargo space.
The 812 GTS weighs also 900lbs more than the SRS and handles like the big heavy grand cruiser it is.

An 812 GTS is great for crossing continents in style and comfort, but not for engaging weekend drives, which the purpose of my Spyder RS.
True. This was posted in my 812 GTS group chat and these people have everything you can imagine including hypercars.

I had a GT4RS on order but didn’t take delivery since a lot of options were on stop sale back then. I’m looking at a used PTS one now.

Last edited by Evo X; 05-18-2024 at 11:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Evo X:
Drifting (05-18-2024), Mike981S (06-04-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 11:57 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
PDK no. Manual PTS touring instead of my PTS 4RS? Yes I’d highly consider it.
both...if you can. One does not replace the other.
Old 05-19-2024, 04:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,521 Likes on 5,052 Posts

The best part of the SRS is the manual top.

It's like buying a manual timepiece.

Why be forced to wind a timepiece when you can just buy an automatic watch?

Because it's just cool. And sometimes you just need something to do to pass time while sitting on the toilet.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
Mr. Adair (05-19-2024), Yc911Kid (05-20-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 05:39 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 383 Likes on 233 Posts

More like, there's a company that makes really good watches with both quartz and mechanical movements. The quartz watches are 100x more accurate than the mechanical models. They are battery-powered, but you still have to wind them every so often. The stem isn't actually connected to anything except a sensor that disconnects the battery if you don't wind it.

People pay 5x as much for this watch because, well, it's an awesome watch. As for the stem, they tell themselves what they have to tell themselves.

Some other people would be interested, but they can't get past the whole Skinner-box thing. When they ask for a quartz watch that doesn't also have to be wound, the company just laughs at them.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:42 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 383 Likes on 233 Posts

Oh, and spare me the "It won't fit" schtick. We heard that before, didn't we, when the 718 came out and people asked for a six-cylinder version.
Old 05-19-2024, 05:53 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,619 Likes on 2,062 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

Because it's just cool. And sometimes you just need something to do to pass time while sitting on the toilet.
You speak the truth…it’s the best feature!
TOporschefan (05-19-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 06:39 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,276 Posts

"It won't fit schtick": Not mechanically inclined...got it.

But

I'm not swallowing the "it's the best part" koolaid, either (yet, anyway). It is obvious, however, that making the top anything other than the minimalist erector set it is would require some serious redesign of the rear deck / trunk, and a fair amount of arms / levers / motors; and likely a loss of much of the trunk space. Or I guess they could have made it a hunchback like the speedster. (yuk) I'll take it as it is.

Last edited by Adrift; 05-19-2024 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:01 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,619 Likes on 2,062 Posts

You’ll come around…I can guarantee that!
Old 05-20-2024, 04:19 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

until it rains , or you have the hood up and some guys fanises a race and you are stuck at 124mph ,, it's nothing like a watch !

I must be the longest standing member with this roof as I only just sold my 987.2 SPyder, point 1: I never put the roof on ie it stayed at home: point 2: I never really drove the car lol it did 16k miles in 12 years ! and did less and less the longer I owned it. And I really loved this car, it was my life keeper, but in the end the roof just pisses you off.
This is in the UK where you just get great weather then showers so you either keep the car at home and take some thing else or you put the roof on and then don't take it off for me unless it was 100% dry I left the car at home, then when the sun does come out in the UK we all get burnt as we are not used to it so it's too bloody hot. I think I did 500 miles in the last 4 years I had it :-( now if I have a garage with 5 spaces and unlimited money then yes, and I suspect 80% SRS owners will be this 5 other cars and loads of garage space and the cars will do sub 2k a year.

I don't even like the 718 Spyder roof I have this car and the roofs always up and am going to part ex it for a 4.0 GTS Boxster. Again I am done with this roof.

now can we just keep this thread on the 4RS, some will like the roof, it will be new to them, some will never own it and say it's great, some will own own say it;s great when but know it's **** and 2% people will actually like it.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 05-20-2024 at 04:24 AM.
Taffy66 (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 08:48 AM
rcrubicon
4th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up my 4RS in early April, and just got to 1000 miles this past weekend. I go out on spirited drives most weekends and rotate through a few cars. 911 SC, 981 Spyder, and this 4RS. I’m mostly a manual driver, 3 of my 5 cars are manual (daily driver Macan and 4rs are the pdk’s).

Impressions wise, the 4RS is a very intense car. The looks, sound, feel, and performance are all cranked up compared to most cars. I only intend to use this on spirited drives on empty roads and track use, so my impressions are based on this use case. As has been said before in this thread, the engine/intake is the party trick. It snorts, snarls, and wails depending on how you engage the throttle. AP said in a top gear interview, it’s like playing a muscle instrument, and I 100% get it. Want to hear the low end snorts/snarls, use a lower gear as your increasing throttle. The wail comes at WOT at higher rpm’s between 6-9k. 8-9k is cool, but I only really found it on the highway and sections of road where you can actually go full throttle for multiple gears.

Transmissions wise, I both love and just like the PDK. It’s great when pushing (paddle user) as it keeps both hands on the wheel. Tight backroads drive, where a manual shines, it’s ok but not nearly as engaging as a stick (it’s good enough, but not “fun” in this mode). Sometimes I use the manual shifter on backroads to lock in a gear; usually 3rd-4th as I like snarl sounds more than the wail. (I also drive early to have open roads, and don’t want to announce my presence to the world. It’s the only solution I have of driving this RS discretely). Full auto is only used when driving to/from the great roads as a normal citizen. When driving in normal PDK mode, it’s incredibly civil.

Suspension wise, it’s firm and road surface dependent. On this last weekend, it was amazing on smooth/fast switchbacks, and jarring on imperfect roads affected by cracks due to frost heaves. For some roads, I prefer this over my spyder (x73 suspension), for others the spyder is better.

My final impression that I’ll share is that I love it but don’t want it everyday. For me, I don’t think it would fit as a second or even 3rd car. It’s raw, engaging, and awesome but I don’t want that everyday or every weekend. To me, it’s meant to be driven at full engagement and not worth driving semi engaged or calmly. After driving it for 4.5 hours through truly great roads this weekend, I’m looking forward to putting it away for a week or 2.

What most surprised me is how much more I appreciate my other cars since adding this to my garage. My Spyder has looks, sound (the 3.8 exhaust sounds is my favorite), and an enjoyable suspension on all paved roads and it’s a stick. My 911 SC is fun to push, I love the 915 transmission and how you feel everything, and this 4RS dials the senses up to 11 when you’re yearning for it. It’s an great addition to my stable, but doesn’t replace my other cars. I’ll be tracking the 4RS this summer, so I may update my impressions once I’ve had track time on all three cars.

My advice to prospective buyers wondering if they cant go wrong with a purchase, it comes down to your use case. How intense do you like your cars to be, and how are you going to use it. It’s horses for courses, just be honest if you’re gonna use the car on the courses it’s intended for.
The following 7 users liked this post by rcrubicon:
chriswd62 (05-20-2024), fasteddie99 (05-21-2024), jabwind51 (05-29-2024), lovetoturn (05-20-2024), Manifold (05-20-2024), Mike981S (06-04-2024), wdr911 (06-02-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-20-2024, 09:01 AM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

I agree I used my 4.0 GTS all weekend and loved it, not driven the 4RS for a while. it's def a 4th car.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:41 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 645 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
I agree I used my 4.0 GTS all weekend and loved it, not driven the 4RS for a while. it's def a 4th car.
Why are you keeping it if it's a 4th car?
Old 05-20-2024, 10:46 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,263 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by rcrubicon
I picked up my 4RS in early April, and just got to 1000 miles this past weekend. I go out on spirited drives most weekends and rotate through a few cars. 911 SC, 981 Spyder, and this 4RS. I’m mostly a manual driver, 3 of my 5 cars are manual (daily driver Macan and 4rs are the pdk’s).

Impressions wise, the 4RS is a very intense car. The looks, sound, feel, and performance are all cranked up compared to most cars. I only intend to use this on spirited drives on empty roads and track use, so my impressions are based on this use case. As has been said before in this thread, the engine/intake is the party trick. It snorts, snarls, and wails depending on how you engage the throttle. AP said in a top gear interview, it’s like playing a muscle instrument, and I 100% get it. Want to hear the low end snorts/snarls, use a lower gear as your increasing throttle. The wail comes at WOT at higher rpm’s between 6-9k. 8-9k is cool, but I only really found it on the highway and sections of road where you can actually go full throttle for multiple gears.

Transmissions wise, I both love and just like the PDK. It’s great when pushing (paddle user) as it keeps both hands on the wheel. Tight backroads drive, where a manual shines, it’s ok but not nearly as engaging as a stick (it’s good enough, but not “fun” in this mode). Sometimes I use the manual shifter on backroads to lock in a gear; usually 3rd-4th as I like snarl sounds more than the wail. (I also drive early to have open roads, and don’t want to announce my presence to the world. It’s the only solution I have of driving this RS discretely). Full auto is only used when driving to/from the great roads as a normal citizen. When driving in normal PDK mode, it’s incredibly civil.

Suspension wise, it’s firm and road surface dependent. On this last weekend, it was amazing on smooth/fast switchbacks, and jarring on imperfect roads affected by cracks due to frost heaves. For some roads, I prefer this over my spyder (x73 suspension), for others the spyder is better.

My final impression that I’ll share is that I love it but don’t want it everyday. For me, I don’t think it would fit as a second or even 3rd car. It’s raw, engaging, and awesome but I don’t want that everyday or every weekend. To me, it’s meant to be driven at full engagement and not worth driving semi engaged or calmly. After driving it for 4.5 hours through truly great roads this weekend, I’m looking forward to putting it away for a week or 2.

What most surprised me is how much more I appreciate my other cars since adding this to my garage. My Spyder has looks, sound (the 3.8 exhaust sounds is my favorite), and an enjoyable suspension on all paved roads and it’s a stick. My 911 SC is fun to push, I love the 915 transmission and how you feel everything, and this 4RS dials the senses up to 11 when you’re yearning for it. It’s an great addition to my stable, but doesn’t replace my other cars. I’ll be tracking the 4RS this summer, so I may update my impressions once I’ve had track time on all three cars.

My advice to prospective buyers wondering if they cant go wrong with a purchase, it comes down to your use case. How intense do you like your cars to be, and how are you going to use it. It’s horses for courses, just be honest if you’re gonna use the car on the courses it’s intended for.
I have about 350 miles on my 4RS so far, and my impressions of the car are very close to yours.

I've been without my 4RS for almost two weeks now (getting PPF and ceramic done), and I do miss the car, but I don't miss it badly in the sense that it fills a big hole that none of my others can fill. I've been driving other cars and haven't enjoyed them any less because I have a 4RS - if anything, like you, I've enjoyed them more because driving the 4RS makes it easier to see where the other cars excel (muscular athleticism for the 992 TTS, playful supercar specialness for the McLaren 570, engagement and feeling of lightness for the manual Cayman R, etc.).

For my use of track and weekends, I think the 4RS is a very good car to have, but if I could have only one road-only weekend fun car, I'm pretty sure the 4RS wouldn't be the one I'd pick, mainly because (a) it needs to be driven quite fast to be enjoyed, and (b) the car is a bit too loud (for me) when driven in a spirited manner. The car I think I'd pick for that use is the McLaren, because it's a Goldilocks car across pretty all dimensions and is fun to drive at all speeds.

Last edited by Manifold; 05-20-2024 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions