Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 04:20 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I

Starting from a normal speed, the car doesn't have enough grunt to provide a really strong burst of acceleration (992 GT3 feels stronger in this aspect, and 992 TTS and McLaren 570 feel much stronger in this aspect.)

but you say this and own a Cayman R which is very slow vs the 4rS ! the 4RS is rapid it's so so fast. its a 6.7 second car to a ton and you say it's slow, you taking the ****. Seems you still don't under stand the use of the paddles ! putting it up vs a Turbo S or 580 is daft comment to make ! put it up vs a MX5 and tell me it's slow !

It's the closest experance you can get to a Porsche race car, no other GT model gets as close to the race car feel as this car. in gear speeds it's faster than the Gt3 every where. it has so much more speed in gear due to the smaller wheels, final drive and being lighter. like for like speed and gears the 4RS pisses on the 992 GT3 !
What you feel is wrong :-) see below.
60 - 100 kph (4) 3.7 s 4.2 s

80 - 120 kph (4) 3.8 s 3.9 s
80 - 120 kph (5) 4.6 s 5.2 s

80 - 160 kph (4) 7.1 s 7.3 s
80 - 160 kph (5) 9.7 s 10.2 s

Last edited by mrd_spy; 06-24-2024 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:26 AM
7184RS
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
but you say this and own a Cayman R which is very slow vs the 4rS ! the 4RS is rapid it's so so fast. its a 6.7 second car to a ton and you say it's slow, you talking the ****. Seems you still don't under stand the use of the paddles ! putting it up vs a Turbo S or 580 is daft comment to make ! put it up vs a MX5 and tell me it's slow !
Agree, the 4RS is faster or in the worse case scenario equal in acceleration compared to a 991 GT3 (including a 991.1 RS and a 992 GT3). These are not feelings, this is an empirical fact.

As I can go higher in revs and load the car is a blast. Happy that Porsche made this vivid and thrilling car which makes you feel alive compared to a 991-992 GT3
The following 4 users liked this post by 7184RS:
Mr. Adair (06-24-2024), mrd_spy (06-24-2024), Odin (06-24-2024), TDT (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 05:56 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

FACT is the GT3 is a lot a slower in gear speeds vs the GT4 as poster. The posted keeps saying it's slow (it's getting dull) lol and not enough grunt. he should get a 296 GTB and sell all his GT products he would be far happier, that will make is 570 feel like it has no grunt :-)
The following users liked this post:
Odin (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 06:11 AM
sunnyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 71 Posts

The 4RS sounds good to me, but is somewhat loud for my taste, and I like the sound of the GT3, 991.2 3RS, and 570 better.
I don't know why you would buy the car if you don't like loud. Given practically every review said it is freaking loud. It is like watching "Snakes on a Plane" and saying you don't like the plot. .

Anyway, mistakes happen. I say sell and move on. I didn't connect with 1.2 RS. It felt big and anodyne. Sold it and moved on.

Last edited by sunnyr; 06-24-2024 at 06:15 AM.
Odin (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 09:31 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

but you say this and own a Cayman R which is very slow vs the 4rS ! the 4RS is rapid it's so so fast. its a 6.7 second car to a ton and you say it's slow, you taking the ****. Seems you still don't under stand the use of the paddles ! putting it up vs a Turbo S or 580 is daft comment to make ! put it up vs a MX5 and tell me it's slow !

It's the closest experance you can get to a Porsche race car, no other GT model gets as close to the race car feel as this car. in gear speeds it's faster than the Gt3 every where. it has so much more speed in gear due to the smaller wheels, final drive and being lighter. like for like speed and gears the 4RS pisses on the 992 GT3 !
What you feel is wrong :-) see below.
60 - 100 kph (4) 3.7 s 4.2 s

80 - 120 kph (4) 3.8 s 3.9 s
80 - 120 kph (5) 4.6 s 5.2 s

80 - 160 kph (4) 7.1 s 7.3 s
80 - 160 kph (5) 9.7 s 10.2 s
For the millionth time, 4RS is not slow. It just doesn't have as much mid-range punch transiently as some other cars that I own. So if I want to drive a car that feels fast on the road, 4RS isn't the one I'll reach for the keys for. And yes, the Cayman R does feel slow compared to the 4RS.

Originally Posted by 7184RS
Agree, the 4RS is faster or in the worse case scenario equal in acceleration compared to a 991 GT3 (including a 991.1 RS and a 992 GT3). These are not feelings, this is an empirical fact.

As I can go higher in revs and load the car is a blast. Happy that Porsche made this vivid and thrilling car which makes you feel alive compared to a 991-992 GT3
This is of course subjective. I find that the 992 GT3 is dynamically more interesting and engaging, and I prefer the smoother sound of the GT3 more. Of the cars I currently own, none make me feel more 'alive' than the 991.2 3RS and 570.

FACT is the GT3 is a lot a slower in gear speeds vs the GT4 as poster. The posted keeps saying it's slow (it's getting dull) lol and not enough grunt. he should get a 296 GTB and sell all his GT products he would be far happier, that will make is 570 feel like it has no grunt :-)
992 TTS and 570 have all the grunt I can handle. I wouldn't want more. There's such a thing as too much.

Originally Posted by sunnyr
I don't know why you would buy the car if you don't like loud. Given practically every review said it is freaking loud. It is like watching "Snakes on a Plane" and saying you don't like the plot. .

Anyway, mistakes happen. I say sell and move on. I didn't connect with 1.2 RS. It felt big and anodyne. Sold it and moved on.
I got the 4RS mainly as a track car, hoping I would also enjoy it on the road. Objectively, I see that the 4RS is very fast on track, right in the same bracket as the 991.2 3RS and 992 GT3 on equal tires. That's impressive. I haven't driven it on track yet, so can't say how much I will enjoy it on track, but so far I definitely enjoy the 991.2 3RS on track more than the 992 GT3. I don't even enjoy the 992 GT3 on track as much as my old 991.1 GT3.

I don't know how much I'll enjoy the 4RS on track compared to the two 911 cars. For me, GT cars are really track cars, and I don't really enjoy driving them enough on the road to keep them as road-only cars, so I think we only need two GT cars (for the track), which means that either the GT3 or 4RS will probably be sold at some point. Got them both at MSRP, so there's no rush to sell them.

4RS is louder than I'd like, but not to the point where I need earplugs, so the loudness isn't a dealbreaker.

Last edited by Manifold; 06-24-2024 at 09:52 AM.
Mike981S (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:04 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

This thread is getting so repetitive....along with all the other GT4rs driving threads....

Because of that I'm going to insert a link to a video that's over 2 years old, going on 3 years old.

Andy P. talking to Top Gear about the GT4rs. Start around 7mins

GT4rs was 100% slotted below the 992.1 GT3.
GT4rs was about having fun, not necessarily the fastest thing around the track.
GT4rs was not going to get all the trick features as a GT3 (front suspension and rear steering).
GT4rs more about the experience.
GT4rs is going to be loud due to intake.
GT4rs is not going to be great for longer, boring drives.
GT4rs was not going to be limited in numbers.
He says all of this. 3 years later, none of it has changed

Literally all the things people are either bitching about or defending or acting like they are "discovering", was all made clear almost 3 years ago.
The following 6 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
BlazinPond (06-24-2024), BusDriver (06-24-2024), Mike981S (06-24-2024), Mr. Adair (06-24-2024), Snowy999 (06-25-2024), TDT (06-24-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:07 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
This thread is getting so repetitive....along with all the other GT4rs driving threads....

Because of that I'm going to insert a link to a video that's over 2 years old, going on 3 years old.

Andy P. talking to Top Gear about the GT4rs. Start around 7mins

https://youtu.be/otr4QLDe9zY?si=nG4jwVf03bopfrjW

GT4rs was 100% slotted below the 992.1 GT3.
GT4rs was about having fun, not necessarily the fastest thing around the track.
GT4rs was not going to get all the trick features as a GT3 (front suspension and rear steering).
GT4rs more about the experience.
GT4rs is going to be loud due to intake.
GT4rs is not going to be great for longer, boring drives.
GT4rs was not going to be limited in numbers.
He says all of this. 3 years later, none of it has changed

Literally all the things people are either bitching about or defending or acting like they are "discovering", was all made clear almost 3 years ago.
This is an impressions thread. As people buy and drive the car, they will share their impressions. If you find reading the impressions repetitive or boring, don't read this thread.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:08 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

This is an impressions thread. As people buy and drive the car, they will share their impressions. If you find reading the impressions repetitive or boring, don't read this thread.
I just gave an impression..... Enjoy

🤘
The following 2 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
Odin (06-24-2024), Viper pilot (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 10:23 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I just gave an impression..... Enjoy

🤘
The video is good. I agree that AP described the car well, but of course he will always have a positive bias.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:27 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

The video is good. I agree that AP described the car well, but of course he will always have a positive bias.
Sometimes he spins things. Example the origin story of shark blue....
I don't think he spins ​​​​​anything in that video. He sets pretty realistic expectations as well as clearly defines where the vehicle sits across the various platforms. I don't think there's anything he says that I would disagree with or think is wrong in his assessment of the vehicle. He doesn't make any big bold claims. He doesn't make any big unreasonable comparisons. 🤷

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 06-24-2024 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:35 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Sometimes he spins things. Example the origin story of shark blue....
I don't think he spins ​​​​​anything in that video. He sets pretty realistic expectations as well as clearly defines where the vehicle sits across the various platforms. I don't think there's anything he says that I would disagree with or think is wrong in his assessment of the vehicle. He doesn't make any big bold claims. He doesn't make any big unreasonable comparisons. 🤷
My only big surprise with this car is that it doesn't feel very playful and mid-engine up to high speeds on the road. I expected it to be more 'lively'. For me, the emotions elicited by a car are more due to driving dynamics than sound.

Putting a less grippy tire on the 4RS may make it feel more lively, but of course the car is also designed to generate grip and fast lap times, so there's a tradeoff here.

Like the other Porsche GT cars, I think the 4RS is designed to be a track car you can enjoy on the road if you drive it really fast on the road, rather than a car that's fun on the road at all speeds and also a good track car.

I suspect that the SRS will be a better road car than the 4RS, provided that one is ok with the top, since the SRS has specifically been designed to be a road car.

Last edited by Manifold; 06-24-2024 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:40 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

My only big surprise with this car is that it doesn't feel very playful and mid-engine up to high speeds on the road. I expected it to be more 'lively'. For me, the emotions elicited by a car are more due to driving dynamics than sound.

Putting a less grippy tire on the 4RS may make it feel more lively, but of course the car is also designed to generate grip and fast lap times, so there's a tradeoff here.

Like the other Porsche GT cars, I think the 4RS is designed to be a track car you can enjoy on the road if you drive it really fast on the road, rather than a car that's fun on the road at all speeds and also a good track car.

I suspect that the SRS will be a better road car than the 4RS, provided that one is ok with the top, since the SRS has specifically been designed to be a road car.
Well I guess that's why it's called impressions....
I'm not sure exactly how you're driving it especially when you can't take it up to 9,000 RPM.... The car moves around if you drive it to move around. Even with cup 2s. The shorter gears make it so much more engaging than the GT4 even if you're giving up a manual transmission. It's never going to have the traction of a 991, which is the point.

Old 06-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Well I guess that's why it's called impressions....
I'm not sure exactly how you're driving it especially when you can't take it up to 9,000 RPM.... The car moves around if you drive it to move around. Even with cup 2s. The shorter gears make it so much more engaging than the GT4 even if you're giving up a manual transmission. It's never going to have the traction of a 991, which is the point.
You don't need the last 2k rpm to load the car in braking, corner entry, and corner exit.

I'm generally a smooth driver, I don't shake the car just to shake it, and don't need to make significant corrections until I'm nearing the limit, which can't reasonably be done on the road. In that context, the car feels locked down to me, not very playful or mid-engine.

I don't notice a big difference in traction compared to a 991 or 992, and it's not hard to get the back of the 911s to step out.
Old 06-24-2024, 12:03 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

For the millionth time, 4RS is not slow. It just doesn't have as much mid-range punch transiently as some other cars that I own. So if I want to drive a car that feels fast on the road, 4RS isn't the one I'll reach for the keys for. And yes, the Cayman R does feel slow compared to the 4RS.

This is of course subjective. I find that the 992 GT3 is dynamically more interesting and engaging, and I prefer the smoother sound of the GT3 more. Of the cars I currently own, none make me feel more 'alive' than the 991.2 3RS and 570.

992 TTS and 570 have all the grunt I can handle. I wouldn't want more. There's such a thing as too much.

I got the 4RS mainly as a track car, hoping I would also enjoy it on the road. Objectively, I see that the 4RS is very fast on track, right in the same bracket as the 991.2 3RS and 992 GT3 on equal tires. That's impressive. I haven't driven it on track yet, so can't say how much I will enjoy it on track, but so far I definitely enjoy the 991.2 3RS on track more than the 992 GT3. I don't even enjoy the 992 GT3 on track as much as my old 991.1 GT3.

I don't know how much I'll enjoy the 4RS on track compared to the two 911 cars. For me, GT cars are really track cars, and I don't really enjoy driving them enough on the road to keep them as road-only cars, so I think we only need two GT cars (for the track), which means that either the GT3 or 4RS will probably be sold at some point. Got them both at MSRP, so there's no rush to sell them.

4RS is louder than I'd like, but not to the point where I need earplugs, so the loudness isn't a dealbreaker.
Rennlist: Where testosterone and a keyboard mix to create a never ending game of who's opinion is correct Manifolds opinion is as valid as any and probably more valid than most. Nobody needs to be right. Sheesh. This is the crap that will eventually get me to leave this forum. I spent twelve years on the 997.2 RS forum and not a single argument with a single member. Old school Porsche guys who have seen it all. Two years on the 718 forum and it's often a crap show. I know why too..

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 06-24-2024 at 01:51 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mr. Adair:
alcc (06-24-2024), lovetoturn (06-24-2024), Odin (06-24-2024), OncPorsche (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 12:31 PM
Qktrns
Cruisin'

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

"You don't need the last 2k rpm to load the car in braking, corner entry, and corner exit".
THIS! 🏎😎. Great impression thread!
I've driven my ED 4RS over 3k miles in Europe on the Autobahn and 6 racetracks (Ring, GP-Circuit, Spa, Zolder, Salzburgring, and Hockenheim). I've driven the same tracks with my 981 GT4 8 years ago. The 981, which I still have and STILL is my overall favorite next to my 997.2 GT3, is more playful in the hills and canyons than both the 7.2 GT3 and the 4RS.
But there's no comparison when it comes to driving the 4RS on a track. The car is so buttoned down, it feels like on rails and glued on to the tarmac esp. on fast (and smooth) tracks like the GP Circuit (my favorite) and Spa. And (manually) shifting -with the stick!- at around 8.2k RPM is incredibly satisfying. The PDK in sport mode works well on fast tracks like the GP and Spa but wasn't up to it at Zolder, a very curvy track, as it wanted more braking to shift down than I wanted.
And yeah, it gets bumpy in the 4RS with all that power that seems to overwhelm the rear tires and suspension. Even on some rough Autobahn stretches going 170mph+, it was a bit of a "Disney ride" sensation, lol. But man, that sound! Intoxicating, esp. with windows closed at ROW tracks. My 981 GT4 with stock exhaust sounds better with windows open :-)).
I paid MSRP for my '24 stripper spec which is a lot of green for that car and almost TWICE as much as my stripper 981. The MY '22 at $143k was a great deal, the MY '24 not so much. And I would certainly not pay more than $200k for one including taxes! But I wanted that 500PS engine in my garage as a compliment to my 7.2 GT3 and my 981 GT4!

The following 3 users liked this post by Qktrns:
Manifold (06-24-2024), Mike981S (06-24-2024), TDT (06-24-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions