Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 11:10 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Why are you keeping it if it's a 4th car?
because I have 5 ! And I do tracks in this one. Some people have 20+ cars.

I keep trying to get to 3 but then buy stuff.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 05-20-2024 at 11:12 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrd_spy:
Last_935 (05-29-2024), Mr. Adair (05-22-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 12:12 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,537 Likes on 1,294 Posts

A new drinking game...when manidfold manages to work his list of other cars into the conversation...DRINK! (just jealous here, of course)
The following 3 users liked this post by Adrift:
Drifting (05-20-2024), lilbza (05-23-2024), mrd_spy (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 12:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
A new drinking game...when manidfold manages to work his list of other cars into the conversation...DRINK! (just jealous here, of course)
Nothing to be jealous of, they’re just cars - toys. Having more toys to play with doesn’t necessarily increase happiness. I honestly don’t give cars much importance.
Old 05-20-2024, 01:20 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

see I live for cars, that's the difference. Cars are life. Petrol for blood. 40%+ of my wages goes on cars and worth more than my house. I can sleep in a car you cannot drive a house !

More cars does = happiness bar the insurance bill.
The following users liked this post:
Last_935 (05-29-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 01:40 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 374 Posts

Just over 2500mi in my 4RS and a few notes from over the weekend.

Saturday I was coming back from Malibu and had another sports car grab my bumper so I pulled back a couple of gears and pushed a bit through the turns. I came up fast on a decent sized dip and the rear end of the car ejected up so fast, I'm certain I got air. Rear splitter is a little scraped so fairly certain of it. This happened to me also when I was renting a 718 GT4 PDK on another nearby bumpy road (Piuma for those that know the area). I think the reaction was magnified in the 4RS due to the stiffer rear. I wonder if there's a less invasive solve than 2 or 3 way dampers to reduce this behavior. I know in another thread, others have theorized spring rates and / or DSC to slow the compression/rebound. I'm more surprised that with as many cars in the field, others haven't found a solution for this. I'm largely happy with the suspension as-is, save for this hyper pogo effect in the rear. For what it's worth, I had the exact opposite problem in the GT2 when I first took possession. Over moderate mid corner bumps, the car would be very slow to recover and would get really scary waiting for it to come back to you before you could add steering or brake. The cure was a DSC box with settings tweaked to my liking; solid toe links and semi solid engine mounts. Now the car is very quick to respond over the same type of surfaces that freak out the 4RS. Different cars, I know but I guess my point is almost no car I've owned has come from the factory exactly as I like it. I don't mod as much as I used to but these type of tweaks, I expect as part of the evolution of ownership.

Sunday, I went out with a friend for a long drive, also in the Canyons. It was early and we definitely drove "spirited". He tends to record his drives and I led. The thing I noticed in the video was just how much the rear end of the car moves around in the rear over mid corner bumps. Visually, it looks much more active than it feels from my suspension butt-dyno. I would say that the car handles all but very large bumps perfectly well. There is no flashing TC or cut in power so they are not upsetting the car like the big dips do.

In spite of the car's shortcomings, it is an absolute blast to drive.
Mike981S (06-04-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 01:56 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF

Saturday I was coming back from Malibu and had another sports car grab my bumper so I pulled back a couple of gears and pushed a bit through the turns. I came up fast on a decent sized dip and the rear end of the car ejected up so fast, I'm certain I got air. Rear splitter is a little scraped so fairly certain of it. This happened to me also when I was renting a 718 GT4 PDK on another nearby bumpy road (Piuma for those that know the area). I think the reaction was magnified in the 4RS due to the stiffer rear. I wonder if there's a less invasive solve than 2 or 3 way dampers to reduce this behavior. I know in another thread, others have theorized spring rates and / or DSC to slow the compression/rebound. I'm more surprised that with as many cars in the field, others haven't found a solution for this. I'm largely happy with the suspension as-is, save for this hyper pogo effect in the rear. For what it's worth, I had the exact opposite problem in the GT2 when I first took possession. Over moderate mid corner bumps, the car would be very slow to recover and would get really scary waiting for it to come back to you before you could add steering or brake. The cure was a DSC box with settings tweaked to my liking; solid toe links and semi solid engine mounts. Now the car is very quick to respond over the same type of surfaces that freak out the 4RS. Different cars, I know but I guess my point is almost no car I've owned has come from the factory exactly as I like it. I don't mod as much as I used to but these type of tweaks, I expect as part of the evolution of ownership.

Sunday, I went out with a friend for a long drive, also in the Canyons. It was early and we definitely drove "spirited". He tends to record his drives and I led. The thing I noticed in the video was just how much the rear end of the car moves around in the rear over mid corner bumps. Visually, it looks much more active than it feels from my suspension butt-dyno. I would say that the car handles all but very large bumps perfectly well. There is no flashing TC or cut in power so they are not upsetting the car like the big dips do.

I installed a DSC on my 4RS and still experience what you mention on Piuma/Stunt and other canyons where there are big changes to the road or uneven pavement coming out of corners. It did improve but didn't correct it 100%. I'm not sure I want to go down the rabbit hole of suspension mods yet especially since there doesn't seem to be a full consensus on what would eliminate it 100% except going with MCS/KW full coilovers. I think it's fine and makes the car more fun but definitely limits it a bit and introduces some drama. It's literally my only "fault" with the 4RS, everything is else is amazing and I just sold my 458 and kept the 4RS instead.
Mike981S (06-04-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 02:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

All of my Porsches are prone to getting upset by certain bumps in certain corners at high enough speeds. I just slow down in those locations, not really a big deal IMO.
Old 05-20-2024, 02:16 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
see I live for cars, that's the difference. Cars are life. Petrol for blood. 40%+ of my wages goes on cars and worth more than my house. I can sleep in a car you cannot drive a house !

More cars does = happiness bar the insurance bill.
Fascinating. My wife is a 'driver' and doesn't mind some accumulation of cars, but no way either of us would want to sink a substantial percentage of income or savings into cars. I always tell the young people at cars & coffee not to pay much attention to cars; instead, focus on your career and personal growth, and only buy nice cars when you can easily afford it.
Mike981S (06-04-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 04:43 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

YEP!!

First time it happened to me I was on the freeway at ~85 MPH on a sweeping on-ramp. In my previous car it was a non-issue, in my stock GT4, it definitely invoked the pucker factor. In my case, I am pretty sure it hit the stops of the rebound stroke and did activate the stability control system. MCS 2-ways were ordered with-in a week of that event. Had we not been in the middle of hyper inflated car prices and covid supply chain shortages, I would have just sold the car and got into something else.

Good quality motorsport dampers luckily does take care of it fully, along with the pogo stick effect of the front-end.

Last edited by TRZ06; 05-20-2024 at 04:48 PM.
mrd_spy (05-20-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 04:57 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Manifold
All of my Porsches are prone to getting upset by certain bumps in certain corners at high enough speeds. I just slow down in those locations, not really a big deal IMO.
give over, none of my Porkers have ever done this. I drive Porkers as dailys the 4RS is just damped totally wrong at the rear end . You will know it's a big deal when you have it happen to you I hope in a safe way. I drive my 4.0 GTS SPASM quite hard and fast it copes with every thing, I even cringe some time when I see a big bump and then it just takes it like it's not there. Even my 718 Spyder has zero issues which is a tiny bit firmer.
I am 54 and will retire at 55 I own all my cars outright. just another asset in a group of other assets. If you need more money you sell one. Rather have cars than savings myself. more fun, you are a long time dead.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 05-20-2024 at 05:02 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mrd_spy:
ChrisF (05-21-2024), jabwind51 (05-29-2024), James88 (05-22-2024), Mr. Adair (05-22-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 07:07 AM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 65 Posts

Does anyone have good experience comparing the 4RS to a 991.1 GT3 RS? Had a regular GT3 but not the RS of that generation and curious the differences.

To clarify, some of the 911 differences you can feel but mostly looking for comments on driver engagement and sounds as partial track/weekend back road duty car. Thanks!

Last edited by jabwind51; 05-29-2024 at 07:18 AM.
Old 05-29-2024, 09:55 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

991.1 RS has much lower revs, 8400 in some gears, and the engine will let go at some point on track imo.

If you have the money the 3 cars to choose imo are 4RS with a set of shocks, 991.2 RS none WP and a 992 GT3, all about the same price in the end and do just about the same times. 991.1 RS would even come after a normal 991.2 GT3 for me. I don't get who buys a 991.1 RS with this money myself.
TDT (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 09:59 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
991.1 RS has much lower revs, 8400 in some gears, and the engine will let go at some point on track imo.

If you have the money the 3 cars to choose imo are 4RS with a set of shocks, 991.2 RS none WP and a 992 GT3, all about the same price in the end and do just about the same times. 991.1 RS would even come after a normal 991.2 GT3 for me. I don't get who buys a 991.1 RS with this money myself.
Those are the three GT cars I have (but factory dampers in 4RS). You and I are different, but also similar.
Old 05-29-2024, 10:04 AM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 65 Posts

Great feedback. Thanks. Thought I would try a .1 RS while I await another 4RS allocation. Hoping for MSRP…..😎
Old 05-29-2024, 10:54 AM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jabwind51
Great feedback. Thanks. Thought I would try a .1 RS while I await another 4RS allocation. Hoping for MSRP…..😎
We have a 991.1 3RS and just picked up a 4RS. Aesthetically the 3RS has more of a presence but that is obviously subjective. I have not driven the 4RS enough for a comparison as it went straight to PPF, but will provide more feedback hopefully soon.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions