Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2024, 02:52 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,002 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
Sounds (pun intended) very strange. BiG difference on mine
Mine too. Massive difference. Borderline quiet (except for intake/vacuum sounds) when valves are closed. Booming loud w/ drone at lower rpms when the valves are open.
The following 3 users liked this post by KelvinC:
jimjoe997 (06-02-2024), Mike981S (06-04-2024), TOporschefan (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 05:05 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 427 Likes on 220 Posts

Sounds (pun intended) very strange. BiG difference on mine
Of all the Porsches I've owned and fitted with the PSE, my 4RS makes the most noticeable difference with PSE on and off. With it on it's both louder and boomier with some resonance between 2 -3k revs.
The following 2 users liked this post by Taffy66:
jimjoe997 (06-02-2024), TOporschefan (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 10:05 AM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I think the 4RS tries to create excitement on the road with the complex and loud soundtrack and the sharpness of the shifts.

If you take away those elements, the car is poised and doesn't really feel playful until you're approaching the limits of the car, at which point you're going really fast. A less grippy tire like PS 4S may be a good choice if the car is driven only on the road.

But on the plus side, the car does precisely what you ask it to, so it tells you whether you're driving it well or not, and there's some fun in trying to drive it really well.

My friend is a car nut and drove my 4RS today. I asked him how the car compared with his expectations. He said that he expected the car to deliver 'theater', and he wasn't disappointed in that aspect.
Almost through break in on mine. I do agree on lack of mid punch vs my 992 GT3, but feel/hope 7-9k is where it will likely make that up. PSE makes a difference on mine, but intake noise is very loud so I don't bother usually.

To me, the car is all about that theater and when in manual mode it delivers. What I didn't expect is that shorter gears mean I am shifting 2-3x as much as I was my 718 GT4 manual. I thought maybe 20% more shifting but I find myself shifting a lot and really enjoying in throttle even at 5-7k rpm. I also feel like I'm learning a new skill in manual mode with center shifter. I disagree on needing high speed. Low gearing means I can hit a few shifts and be only at 70 mph. Slower turns are fun and easy to get rear a little loose.

Compared to my GT3, the 4RS is objectively a worse car in many ways, but I just didn't find the GT3 fun anywhere, street or track. It was too large, soft, quiet and clinical. 4RS is small, loud, very stiff and not as planted. I still feel my 6MT BGTS 4.0 is the perfect garage pairing. Another GT car would make it too close for me to enjoy. Will report back after break in and first track days, but the car delivers on my expectations so far.
The following users liked this post:
Ksdaoski (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 10:12 AM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric5280
Almost through break in on mine. I do agree on lack of mid punch vs my 992 GT3, but feel/hope 7-9k is where it will likely make that up. PSE makes a difference on mine, but intake noise is very loud so I don't bother usually.

To me, the car is all about that theater and when in manual mode it delivers. What I didn't expect is that shorter gears mean I am shifting 2-3x as much as I was my 718 GT4 manual. I thought maybe 20% more shifting but I find myself shifting a lot and really enjoying in throttle even at 5-7k rpm. I also feel like I'm learning a new skill in manual mode with center shifter. I disagree on needing high speed. Low gearing means I can hit a few shifts and be only at 70 mph. Slower turns are fun and easy to get rear a little loose.

Compared to my GT3, the 4RS is objectively a worse car in many ways, but I just didn't find the GT3 fun anywhere, street or track. It was too large, soft, quiet and clinical. 4RS is small, loud, very stiff and not as planted. I still feel my 6MT BGTS 4.0 is the perfect garage pairing. Another GT car would make it too close for me to enjoy. Will report back after break in and first track days, but the car delivers on my expectations so far.
Agree. After 3K miles and 4 track days on the 4RS and now a 992 GT3 touring for 500 miles, I already want to trade the 992 in. Actually feel the suspension is stiffer and more uncomfortable than the 4RS buckets even with leather 18 ways.

plan is either to try a 991.2 GT3 6MT or go back to a 4RS 🙏🏼 bc it was just so good and ready to hit track whenever
The following 2 users liked this post by jabwind51:
Drifting (06-02-2024), TOporschefan (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 10:36 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,263 Likes on 2,434 Posts

I always go back to the thought that these cars are like different flavors of ice cream. Some people like one particular flavor. Some people like a few flavors. Some people like most or all of the flavors, and like variety. Some people don't like ice cream. Porsche offers a variety of flavors, but there's Porsche 'style' which is common to all of them. Other manufacturers offer other flavors, with their own recipes. There's no right or wrong in any of this, just preference, which can change over time, and even day to day.

One objective metric for comparing the cars is their lap time on a track, but even then, track days aren't racing and these aren't race cars, so enjoyment is what really matters on the track.

I find the 4RS to be a good flavor and I'm glad I have one, but I do think that some of the reviews overhyped the car a bit, as car reviews often do with sports cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Eric5280 (06-02-2024), jabwind51 (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 10:38 AM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

I always go back to the thought that these cars are like different flavors of ice cream. Some people like one particular flavor. Some people like a few flavors. Some people like most or all of the flavors, and like variety. Some people don't like ice cream. Porsche offers a variety of flavors, but there's Porsche 'style' which is common to all of them. Other manufacturers offer other flavors, with their own recipes. There's no right or wrong in any of this, just preference, which can change over time, and even day to day.

One objective metric for comparing the cars is their lap time on a track, but even then, track days aren't racing and these aren't race cars, so enjoyment is what really matters on the track.

I find the 4RS to be a good flavor and I'm glad I have one, but I do think that some of the reviews overhyped the car a bit, as car reviews often do with sports cars.
Agree! I can’t wait until you break in the car and can rev it and track it to hear your thoughts ..
TOporschefan (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 11:59 AM
Dizzy1127
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Your 4rs impressions have been spot on throughout. I hope i like "gt4rs track" ice cream flavor haha, i just took it out again this morning while the lotus feel was still fresh. 4rs= sharp, responsive and smooth, intoxicating sound track. Lotus= mechanical manual, great steering feel, low end grunt, looks. Given that i go to the track about 4-5 times a year, and my initial "I got a gt4rs!" euphoria is going away, im not so sure my use case fits with the gt4rs. Hope im wrong and its still worth the 4-5 times.

Last edited by Dizzy1127; 06-02-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Manifold (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 12:23 PM
Odin
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Dizzy1127
I was wondering if i was crazy that i didnt find the car to be raw or exciting as I'm breaking in the car on texas country roads, other than the engine intake noise. I test drove a lotus emira manual v6 touring suspension today, and that car is more drama, more mechanical feels and engaging during test drive conditions. Clutch is close to the brake pedal so i found myself tripping up on my shoes on gear shifts, the steering wheel contours were unusual, engine noise was interesting but just ok relative to the gt4rs. But otherwise it was delightful. Id take an emira for pure road use over a gt4rs.

I really really hope the gt4rs is awesome on track for me...
On track after break in, the GT4RS is going to blow your underwear off.

After reading comments here that the 4RS isn’t playful and raw enough and somewhat boring, I sit with 2 questions or maybe 2 reflections I’m making:

1) I think your driving environment is the root of the problem. One guy here commented on driving the GT4RS was lacking drama and he was based in Florida. Roads there aren’t made for GT Porsches. You say you drive on country Texas roads, I haven’t been there, but aren’t the roads just endless straights? A GT4RS isn’t made for multi lane highways, it’s made for single lane, Nürburgring like roads that twists through forests and dips up and down over mountains. Then the fun begin well within the speed limits and if you allow yourself Porsche tax on top of that it’s a blisteringly capable fun tool. Like a scalpel on public roads where the other traffic are reduced to mere obstacles purely for your entertainment to overtake.

2) A 992 GT3RS is going to be way less fun and engaging on the same roads you find the GT4RS boring to drive on. Problem are staying within speed limits. If you ditch them, they’re both playful and fun, but at the enforced speed the GT4RS can be perceived as boring as it’s so competent. The 992GT3RS even more so. The 992S/T is probably where the maximum enjoyment is at. Or a 991GT3Touring or a 991R.

I’m so lucky to have driving Nirvana literally right out of my driveway, and Norways best track, The Arctic Circle Raceway (ACR) just 2,5 hrs south of my location. Can’t think of a better car than the GT4RS for my needs, except maybe the 3 mentioned above as I’m really a manual box kinda guy, but the GT4RS is so old school it suits me just awesome. I don’t think the 992GT3RS would in the same way.

Last edited by Odin; 06-02-2024 at 12:39 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Odin:
BlazinPond (06-02-2024), jabwind51 (06-02-2024), Ksdaoski (06-02-2024), Mike981S (06-04-2024), RDCR (06-02-2024), Taffy66 (06-02-2024), TOporschefan (06-02-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-02-2024, 12:26 PM
Odin
Racer

Received 471 Likes on 194 Posts

Took my 4RS for a long drive today, now have about 550 miles on it. My opinion of the car, as a road car, remains about the same:

- The car is most fun when driven quite fast. Not surprising, given that it's a Porsche GT car developed for track use.

- At saner cruising speeds, the car is reasonably comfortable and easy to drive, but not particularly engaging.

- Driven gently, the car is pretty quiet. Driven with zeal, the car is loud. The sport exhaust button doesn't make much difference.

- The ride quality is fine in either damping mode.

- Lacks some mid-range punch.

This car wouldn't be my first choice as a road-only fun car, but I can see how people enjoy driving it on the road. I drove my manual Cayman R (on 4S tires) recently a few times, and I enjoy that car more as a fun road car because it feels lighter, lower limit, more tossable, engagement of manual, not as loud, and generally not as fast.
Can’t think why you feel the PSE isn’t increasing the loudness of you exhaust other than the valves must be seized up. Something is definitely wrong.
Manifold (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 12:32 PM
jabwind51
Rennlist Member

On track after break in, the GT4RS is going to blow your underwear off.

After reading comments here that the 4RS isn’t playful and raw enough and somewhat boring, I sit with 2 questions or maybe 2 reflections I’m making:

1) I think your driving environment is the root of the problem. One guy here commented on driving the GT4RS was lacking drama and he was based in Florida. Roads there aren’t made for GT Porsches. You say you drive on country Texas roads, you haven’t been there, but aren’t the roads just endless straights? A GT4RS isn’t made for multi lane highways, it’s made for single lane, Nürburgring like roads that twists through forests and dips up and down over mountains. Then the fun begin well within the speed limits and if you allow yourself Porsche tax on top of that it’s a blisteringly capable fun tool. Like a scalpel on public roads where the other traffic are reduced to mere obstacles purely for your entertainment to overtake.

2) A 992 GT3RS is going to be way less fun and engaging on the same roads you find the GT4RS boring to drive on. Problem are staying within speed limits. If you ditch them, they’re both playful and fun, but at the enforced speed the GT4RS can be perceived as boring as it’s so competent. The 992GT3RS even more so. The 992S/T is probably where the maximum enjoyment is at. Or a 991GT3Touring or a 991R.

I’m so lucky to have driving Nirvana literally right out of my driveway, and Norways best track, The Arctic Circle Raceway (ACR) just 2,5 hrs south of my location. Can’t think of a better car than the GT4RS for my needs, except maybe the 3 mentioned above as I’m really a manual box kinda guy, but the GT4RS is so old school it suits me just awesome. I don’t think the 992GT3RS would in the same way.
WOW! Thanks for insights. I’ve always felt that where we lived made a difference. Probably why I gravitated towards the track due to lack of “country roads”
Old 06-02-2024, 01:25 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Agree completely on the roads with engagement as well as ice cream flavors. GT3 (any version) and 4RS both are great cars and there is no wrong choice for either. 4RS is just a bit unhinged, which I like.
Old 06-02-2024, 01:30 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,276 Posts

I truly envy those who live with less teeming hordes, and more natural splendor / curvy roads.
jabwind51 (06-02-2024)
Old 06-02-2024, 02:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,263 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Driving environment makes all the difference with these cars. My driving environment is pretty good in terms having winding roads in rolling terrain, and lack of law enforcement. But sight distance is lacking at a lot of corners and hills, cyclists are not uncommon on the roads, and we have a significant number of animals which can jump on to the road out of heavily vegetated roadsides. A couple weeks ago, I hit a deer with my 992 TTS, and since then my enjoyment of driving on my local roads has been greatly diminished. It's something I need to work through psychologically. Not sure I can bear hitting a deer again with another expensive car.
Old 06-02-2024, 03:49 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Driving environment makes all the difference with these cars. My driving environment is pretty good in terms having winding roads in rolling terrain, and lack of law enforcement. But sight distance is lacking at a lot of corners and hills, cyclists are not uncommon on the roads, and we have a significant number of animals which can jump on to the road out of heavily vegetated roadsides. A couple weeks ago, I hit a deer with my 992 TTS, and since then my enjoyment of driving on my local roads has been greatly diminished. It's something I need to work through psychologically. Not sure I can bear hitting a deer again with another expensive car.
Oh no! That's terrible. Totaled?
Old 06-02-2024, 04:55 PM
WBAT
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 30 Posts

Turned my 6 speed 992 GT3 with buckets in after ~10k miles and got this 2 weeks ago. Have put about 900 miles so not past break in but nevertheless I’ve opened it up a bit on back roads and highway 1 this weekend.

My GT3 was the first car I ever spec’s and the two hardest decisions I had (PDK or manual and buckets or 18s) are opposite on this car so it’s been great to compare and contrast.

For the record—these are just rookie opinions. Im NOT an expert driver like some here on RL so just learning as I go. As expected the front end on the GT3 is noticeably more direct. Ironically, I feel more confident in this car sending it into corners and turns (probably a lot to do with fresh tires).

I wouldn’t say that I can appreciate the ride quality being softer in the 4RS compared to the GT3 as many have said. I still feel like I can feel every undulation in the road in the 4RS.

however, the feeling and therefore overall experience (or emotion as AP always describes) is much better for me in the 4RS. I had a full akrapovic exhaust on my GT3 which was transformative for that car. But still it sounded better for people outside the car than those in the car. The intake noise and different sounds as you cross 3 and 5k rpm is another level in the 4RS. Can’t wait to cross 7k.

For me, the flat plane of the 458 is one of the best sounding cars I’ve been in. even post akrapovic exhaust I would say sound of 458 was better than my GT3. However, I think the 4RS sound experience is even better than the 458.

Ingress and egress of the 18s is much harder for me than the buckets because of the quick manual release on the buckets. I would get the buckets if I could do it again, but my wife tolerated a 3.5 hour drive in the 4RS and absolutely loved the 18s over buckets so it’s not all bad. to be able to enjoy cars with her *almost* makes me want to get them again, but let’s be honest, I’m going back to buckets on my next one.

For my driving (mainly backroads) the 6 speed gearing on the GT3 was too tall with a N.A. motor to really row it (yes I know these are track cars). The 7 speed PDK is more fun to quickly row through gears. However, even in PDK sport the RS seems to eager to upshift and I find myself using the paddles constantly to try and stay in the power band. Unless I really hit the brakes hard it’s not eager to downshift and keep me at higher revs. I still think a 3 pedal experience is better than PDK for me

I do think Porsche could’ve done more to give the RS a bit better interior technology than the other 718s. I love the minimalistic steering wheel but the I do miss the rotary mode selector in the 992 which I think they could’ve adapted for the RS. I’m also glad the sound of the engine is incredible because the Bose in this car is horrendous compared to the Bose in the GT3.

Overall, 4RS is very different than my GT3 largely owing to several key options on the two specs that are different. Both have their unique places, but the 4RS is incredible and the sound/feeling for a back canyon carver more than makes up for any short comings. Can’t say I regret turning in the GT3 for this experience at all.
The following 10 users liked this post by WBAT:
BlazinPond (06-02-2024), Juggy (06-02-2024), KelvinC (06-02-2024), Ksdaoski (06-02-2024), Mike981S (06-04-2024), Odin (06-03-2024), RDCR (06-02-2024), rwm (06-03-2024), Taffy66 (06-03-2024), TOporschefan (06-02-2024) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions