Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 08:01 AM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I consistently noticed a big difference in my friend's 4RS also. Maybe my valve isn't working properly? I'll compare with my friend's again, and if the difference is much less in mine, I'll have the dealer fix it.

I've been using the paddles almost exclusively. Does PDK normal vs sport make any difference in manual mode?
Manifold yes you nailed it-PDK sport only noticeable when driven in auto mode. When I drive I usually have it in PDK sport but I do a combo of paddle shifting but when I am doing aggressive driving I leave it in auto mode. The downshifts are brilliant and aggressive at almost any speed. It will down shift several gears in a short period of time which I cannot get the car to do even in manual mode. So lovely, go give it a try. So much to unfold in this amazing car. My 991.2 RS did not down shift as aggressively in pdk sport as this car does.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:24 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,263 Likes on 2,434 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
I'm about 2k miles in on mine now. I'm finding the more I drive this car, the more i enjoy it. It is definitely happier being driven hard. Short gearing makes if fun to rip off 3 quick shifts at mid RPM's. I agree with @Manifold in that to start really feeling the car, you are at crazy speeds on the street. Need to get this car on track soon. I expect it to be mind blowing.

After my initial concerns for sound/gearing, I've found my personal sweet spot:
- Sports Exhaust on: to my ears, this changes the tone to more bass biased. With it off, there is a stronger midrange that sometimes hurts my ears.
- PDK manual mode: for street driving. Fairly certain I will leave it in auto/PDK sport on track though

Those two make the car fun for me even just tooling around my home area and even more so on the canyons nearby.
I always run my PDK cars in manual mode on track. It's more engaging and fun, and I like to be in control of, and know, when the car is going to shift. Nice thing with PDK, as compared to a regular manual, is that there's no possibility of overrevving the engine or locking up the rear tires due to mis-shifting.
Old 05-07-2024, 01:48 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Those of us who have a lot of track experience and track these cars are prone to feeling unsatisfied driving them on the road, because we know that, despite going unsafely fast on the road, we're still well below the limits of the car. I had that experience yesterday in the 4RS; in order to have some fun, I had to drive it too fast for public roads, yet I was at 1.1 g max and the car felt like it was on rails rather than moving around. Later in the day, I drove my manual 997.1 C2S, and I enjoyed driving that much more than the 4RS at sane speeds.

So perhaps NOT having much track experience can increase enjoyment of the 4RS on the road? Such a person can just enjoy the sound of the car, the shifting, the handling, etc., without knowing what they're missing in terms of what the car is like near the limit on the track. And over the years, I've gradually moved towards the view that perhaps it's not a grave sin to own the car in order to derive some satisfaction from possessing it, take it to cars & coffee, or show it off driving around town.
I know the feeling. I live near a very popular driving road area, so literally my oil is barely up to temp by the time I get to the fun part of the road. I used to go once a week. But now my GT4 hasn't been driven since the last track day a month ago and I decided not to drive it again until this weekend's.

Do you still find the 992 GT3 on equal footing with the GT4 RS for street driving? I am somewhat more attracted to the 992 GT3 since I think it might be more civil for commuting to the track and back.

BTW, Lotus are all very fun in canyon roads. You feel like a lot is going on at even 4/10ths. I could certainly see an Emira being more fun in the canyons, particularly if it's bumpy, other than the engine.

Last edited by vantage; 05-07-2024 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (05-08-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 03:35 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
TR, you should take a spin in an Emira. I've had mine for a few weeks and it is pretty eye opening in regards to damping and suspension behavior. Had it out at the Tail of the Dragon and surrounding roads with my 991.2 GT3 in tow (and a friends BGTS 4.0 as well), and the Emira really does show the Porsches a thing or two...
but the build is low rent and the C of G too high in the car. it's not a great car imo.It don't really show a GT4 anything imo bar how slow it is !

Last edited by mrd_spy; 05-07-2024 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 04:07 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,871 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
but the build is low rent and the C of G too high in the car. it's not a great car imo.It don't really show a GT4 anything imo bar how slow it is !
Interior quality is not up to Porsche standards, but it’s a far cry from the Elises and Evoras of old.

From a steering response/feel standpoint, it is certainly superior to the GT4. The stock damping has a closer mission statement to a CGTS, so not really worth comparing to the GT4.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:24 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 645 Likes on 302 Posts

I always run my PDK cars in manual mode on track. It's more engaging and fun, and I like to be in control of, and know, when the car is going to shift. Nice thing with PDK, as compared to a regular manual, is that there's no possibility of overrevving the engine or locking up the rear tires due to mis-shifting.
Curious. I know many instructors who say auto mode is so accurate that the shift points can be learned more accurately than manual shifting? I can see the advantage for newbies like me but it sounds like you don't necessarily agree?
Old 05-07-2024, 06:06 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,740 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Curious. I know many instructors who say auto mode is so accurate that the shift points can be learned more accurately than manual shifting? I can see the advantage for newbies like me but it sounds like you don't necessarily agree?
I had about 185 laps around Road America LY in the GT4rs. It's classified as 14 turns, with ~10 braking points.
I only remember half a dozen times in which the auto setup was in the wrong gear, or a different gear than I would have wanted.
Specifically around turn 13. Turn 13 is a little tricky, you're coming out of 12 and accelerating, going uphill, curves to the right, hit triple digits, then need to slow down as it curves to the left and back to the right. ~60mph to ~100mph to ~90mph and then back up to ~115mph. So its right between 3rd and 4th. It will actually bounce off the limiter and hold 3rd, which is what I prefer. But a few times it would shift to 4 "early" and hold, and then I felt under powered going into 14.

I would have to bust out the video to count the number of upshifts and downshifts per lap; even then, I would probably get it wrong, as the PDK will go from 6 to 3 so quickly.

I'm not a pro. Maybe manual would have been more engaging. But I didn't experience a whole lot in-accuracies while in auto mode, while on the track.

I actually just watched another GT4rs track video on Road America. I think I counted 31 upshifts or downshifts, one one lap.

So that would put my upshift/downshift total somewhere in the 5500-5750 range. And maybe 6 times I wasn't happy with the selection? Not too bad.

edit: I know the issue was turn 13, but maybe I'm getting the gears wrong, its been awhile and I'm on pain-meds!

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 05-07-2024 at 06:10 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
lovetoturn (05-08-2024), TOporschefan (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 06:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Auto mode works fine, but if you want to have fun on the track and really connect with the car, I think that manual mode is much better. It's not really about lap time, it's about having fun and learning. Also, pros typically use the paddles.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I took the 4RS to get full PPF today, so I'll be without the car for a week. I'll miss it.

The drive to the shop was kind of boring because there was a lot of traffic on the otherwise nice country roads, so I had few opportunities to get the car really going. I drove my McLaren 570 back from the shop, so that I could compare the two cars.

Part of my motivation for getting the 4RS is that I wanted to get Porsche's car which might come closest to being like the McLaren (mid-engine, high performance level). But I think the cars are actually not very similar, and McLaren and Porsche are like different restaurants with different cuisines.

I'm pretty sure the lap time of the 4RS on track will be faster than the 570, even on equal tires, and I expect that the 4RS will be more durable and reliable on track. That's a win for the 4RS. But on the road, I think I'll enjoy the 570 more on most days. To compare them:

- 570 has more steering feel (hydraulic) and sharper steering; 4RS steering felt a bit heavy today, which may contribute to the car feeling a bit heavy (which it is not)

- 570 has more playful handling and it's easier to approach the limit safely (especially on 4S tires), whereas the 4RS feels like 'too much' grip on the road (it should be substantially less grip with a tire like the 4S)

- 570 feels lighter

- 570 is plenty loud when you wind it up and I love the sound, but not as loud as the 4RS

- 570 has a lot more torque and power, and therefore more brutal acceleration

- 570 has a lower seating position, closer to a go kart feeling

- 570 has better ride quality, and more adjustability of the damping

- 570 has more adjustability of the shifting, ranging from calm to jolting

In short, 4RS is a potent and intense track weapon that you can have some fun with on the road, whereas the 570 is a fun and fast exotic road car that you could try sometimes taking to the track.
Mike981S (06-03-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 07:45 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vantage
I know the feeling. I live near a very popular driving road area, so literally my oil is barely up to temp by the time I get to the fun part of the road. I used to go once a week. But now my GT4 hasn't been driven since the last track day a month ago and I decided not to drive it again until this weekend's.

Do you still find the 992 GT3 on equal footing with the GT4 RS for street driving? I am somewhat more attracted to the 992 GT3 since I think it might be more civil for commuting to the track and back.

BTW, Lotus are all very fun in canyon roads. You feel like a lot is going on at even 4/10ths. I could certainly see an Emira being more fun in the canyons, particularly if it's bumpy, other than the engine.
I've only done the one day where I drove the 4RS and GT3 the same day, and I haven't driven the GT3 much lately.

GT3 is definitely more civilized for daily driving based on sound level, though I would still give a win to the 4RS for ride quality because it doesn't tramline like the GT3 does.

I also think that perhaps the handling of the GT3 is more 'interesting' on the road because the front end is sharper than the 4RS, yet it still has the dynamics of a 911 where you have to pay some attention to managing the load at the front in corner entry, and then you can enjoy the traction in corner exit. It's a kind of dance unique to 911s. I'll offer further comparison when I've had more chance to drive them the same day. There's not much dancing with the 4RS in corners until you're starting to approach the limit, which requires going quite fast.

I definitely need to try a Lotus.

Last edited by Manifold; 05-07-2024 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:04 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

I've only done the one day where I drove the 4RS and GT3 the same day, and I haven't driven the GT3 much lately.

GT3 is definitely more civilized for daily driving based on sound level, though I would still give a win to the 4RS for ride quality because it doesn't tramline like the GT3 does.

I also think that perhaps the handling of the GT3 is more 'interesting' on the road because the front end is sharper than the 4RS, yet it still has the dynamics of a 911 where you have to pay some attention to managing the load at the front in corner entry, and then you can enjoy the traction in corner exit. It's a kind of dance unique to 911s. I'll offer further comparison when I've had more chance to drive them the same day. There's not much dancing with the 4RS in corners until you're starting to approach the limit, which requires going quite fast.

I definitely need to try a Lotus.
You have the best cars in the world. Probably hard to choose a favorite. Very cool
Old 05-07-2024, 08:07 PM
TOporschefan
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 74 Posts

Auto mode works fine, but if you want to have fun on the track and really connect with the car, I think that manual mode is much better. It's not really about lap time, it's about having fun and learning. Also, pros typically use the paddles.
I understand what you are saying but nothing beats the downshift from 6-3 on hard braking....manually you cannot make it shift that fast.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric5280
You have the best cars in the world. Probably hard to choose a favorite. Very cool
Thanks! I think I have some very good to great cars, but there are definitely a lot of equal or better cars out there that I don't have, most of which are beyond my budget.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:55 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by TOporschefan
I understand what you are saying but nothing beats the downshift from 6-3 on hard braking....manually you cannot make it shift that fast.
Why are you needing to shift that fast coming into a braking zone at the end of a long straight? These aren't F1 cars. Most tracks with 160 mph striaghts it will take a street car 4 seconds ish from brake initiation to apex. Are you getting additional braking from the engine? If so I really don't want that, unless I know exactly what it's going to do and when, everytime. I want to control the brake zone myself.

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 05-07-2024 at 08:57 PM.
mrd_spy (05-08-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 09:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
Why are you needing to shift that fast coming into a braking zone at the end of a long straight? These aren't F1 cars. Most tracks with 160 mph striaghts it will take a street car 4 seconds ish from brake initiation to apex. Are you getting additional braking from the engine? If so I really don't want that, unless I know exactly what it's going to do and when, everytime. I want to control the brake zone myself.
Yeah, I've never not been able to get all of my downshifts done manually in a braking zone.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
168glhs1986 (05-08-2024), mrd_spy (05-08-2024)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions