Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 12:58 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

I'll add my 2 cents here....on bumpy tracks the rear has a hard time putting down the power. You will see the TC light come ON.
I added the DSC and that helped. Also 19" wheels and stickier tires...but still have a section that is robbing me 1 sec for sure. Turning OFF TC/ESC could help a bit but this is an area that's very risky to loose traction.
I could see how a nice set of 3-way dampers could tame this bounciness and improve times.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
DK7 (05-13-2024), mrd_spy (05-14-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 01:13 PM
jayson
Pro

Received 481 Likes on 142 Posts

I was on VERY bumpy back roads over the weekend, no issues putting the power down (the car has a DSC controller). I suspect what you folks are describing is esc/traction control cutting power to the rear when the suspension is unsettled - as it should be doing.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:30 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,476 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by jayson
I was on VERY bumpy back roads over the weekend, no issues putting the power down (the car has a DSC controller). I suspect what you folks are describing is esc/traction control cutting power to the rear when the suspension is unsettled - as it should be doing.

Exactly...because the rear suspension can't cope with track imperfections at speed.
Road is very different from track...Try going +70 mph in a turn while feeding power and hitting some bumps. The front takes them OK but the rear is being fed power and can't cope....thus loosing traction as the tires are not planted on the surface.
The DSC did helped a lot but there's still some rebound/compression control that might be out of the DSC + OEM PASM scope of control.
Not complaining just mentioning that it's there when you are not in glass-smooth tracks
The following 2 users liked this post by jmartpr:
jayson (05-13-2024), mrd_spy (05-14-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 01:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,368 Likes on 2,486 Posts

The car has plenty of power and is set up stiff for the track. Should not be a surprise that it can't put down all the power on a bumpy surface. McLaren's have better ride quality, but Porsches still generally produce faster lap times if the tires and power are equalized (and Porsches generally have less power than McLarens).
Old 05-13-2024, 03:19 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
The car has plenty of power and is set up stiff for the track. Should not be a surprise that it can't put down all the power on a bumpy surface. McLaren's have better ride quality, but Porsches still generally produce faster lap times if the tires and power are equalized (and Porsches generally have less power than McLarens).
Funny that the same guy who went ballistics on me because I said the 4RS's much-hyped engine disappoints re midrange torque and the steering ratio could be a tad quicker now trashes everything else about the car... including the LWBS as made only fat asses!? I am a skinny guy and I barely fit in the seat bottom. Now, the shoulder bolsters I can see as not deep enough.

Imo the stock 4RS suspension is fine for good pavements. But the few times I found myself on broken pavements it was nerve-wrecking. And I certainly would not drive it in Boston or NYC. Plus, all stiffly spring cars I've owned get scary when they hit bumps at deep throttle and high speed. That's when you wish you are in a GR Corolla.

As to the GTS 4.0, talk about a car that needs Ohlins. The stock setup is so underdamped, with so much body motion, it is undrivable with S-PASM in std, and barely acceptable in firm.

How people can have such polar opposite reactions to the same cars is kinda "shocking."

Last edited by alcc; 05-13-2024 at 03:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 03:36 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by alcc

How people can have such polar opposite reactions to the same cars is kinda "shocking."
I believe the reason for the polar opposite handling feedback boils down to the myriad of variables involved, which can have significant impact. Tarmac conditions, Temperatures, Driving style/ability, Tire pressure, Tires (PSC2 vs. PS4), wheels (mag vs. non-mag), brakes (cast-iron vs PCCB), and PSM/TC enabled/disabled, which can be very intrusive and make the handling behave non-ideally. I also suspect PAG updated PASM software along the production line, as anecdotal evidence suggests MY23 seem to complain more than the MY24 crowd. Albeit, you would think the PASM update would be part of a broad TSB effort.

Last edited by Airbag997; 05-13-2024 at 03:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Eric5280 (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 03:44 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 270 Posts

I also wonder how the exhaust (stock or aftermarket) is impacting rear shock performance (better or worse) especially in boundary/heat soak conditions. My Panigale rear shock would saturate from exhaust heat after 5-6 laps and pump like a bronco on corner exit, so bad so that I would have to short shift just to stay on the bike.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:49 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
Good ride quality lol

lol it's crap really, maybe good vs a 991.2 RS or 992 GT3 but this rear end on bigger bumps flings the car in the air. ok not quite that bad but never had a car as bad as this on bigger bumps at the rear in my life., The rebound rear setting from Porsche is totally off.
went for an over take at the weekend, back jumps about cannot get power down , did not really even see a bump.

Ride over all is ok, but the car hates big bumps where my 4.0 GTS would eat them alive and be down the street, on UK tracks here (the bumpy ones a 4RS cannot keep with a stock 718 down a straight ! smooth no issue bumps the 4RS cannot cope at all and this is with much lower pressure, if you let them get up to say 35psi at the rear the cars even worst to a point I think it would throw you off the road.

Don't listen to the fan bois, they will defend Porsche at all costs AND/OR live where the pavement is smooth.

You speak the truth. I had the same issues with my stock GT4. Bigger bumps on the freeway at 80MPH would send the rear of the car up in the air and the rebound to its stops. Totally horrible and unacceptable damping profile. Add to that the pogo stick effect you get on the front axle, then when loaded up in corner and you hit a bump or dip mid-corner, the front and rear just felt out of sync with each other. On a smooth road though it was magic.

MCS 2-way remote dampers and better spring rates made it a totally different car and one that could actually keep up and surpass your average Camry on less than good pavement. All of those bad traits were now gone. So, that is the good news, you can get it there with good aftermarket dampers.

BMW does the same thing with their cars though, always undamped on the rebound stroke and over damped on compression. I think they are set up to be great on Euro smooth roads, not bumpy US roads. For US roads you really have to have stellar rebound control.

Last edited by TRZ06; 05-13-2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 03:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

The word is out. Porsche makes bad cars, especially the GT cars. Their engineers suck. Nobody will want the cars now, demand and prices are poised to plummet.
The following 3 users liked this post by Manifold:
chriswd62 (05-15-2024), Ksdaoski (05-13-2024), Mr. Adair (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 04:00 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I'll add my 2 cents here....on bumpy tracks the rear has a hard time putting down the power. You will see the TC light come ON.
I added the DSC and that helped. Also 19" wheels and stickier tires...but still have a section that is robbing me 1 sec for sure. Turning OFF TC/ESC could help a bit but this is an area that's very risky to loose traction.
I could see how a nice set of 3-way dampers could tame this bounciness and improve times.
Friendly reminder on what happens when you decide you want to go with a high end passive suspension setup. I spent 11K all in on a high end JRZ 3 way system on my 997.2RS because I was unhappy with ride quality and PASM at the time. I also tried DSC on the car before trying the JRZ system. I can honestly say the difference in both systems was much smaller than you may think. Based on what I learned from using both I personally think the value is in the DSC system. If you asked me to quantify I'd say the DSC controller made the car 20% more comfortable and the full JRZ system about 30% better. Things people forget about: Modifications to the car (mounting canisters brackets etc.) along with new sounds and creeks, multiple alignment costs, learning to adjust the rebound and compression for street and track, time without the car and do you want to do all this to new car and mess with your overall value? I will never do it again on a street car. On a race car if you have support and the knowledge to go with it 100%. My 2 cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Adair:
Manifold (05-13-2024), YMGT4 (05-14-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 04:09 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 655 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Don't listen to the fan bois, they will defend Porsche at all costs AND/OR live where the pavement is smooth.

You speak the truth. I had the same issues with my stock GT4. Bigger bumps on the freeway at 80MPH would send the rear of the car up in the air and the rebound to its stops. Totally horrible and unacceptable damping profile. Add to that the pogo stick effect you get on the front axle, then when loaded up in corner and you hit a bump or dip mid-corner, the front and rear just felt out of sync with each other. On a smooth road though it was magic.

MCS 2-way remote dampers and better spring rates made it a totally different car and one that could actually keep up and surpass your average Camry on less than good pavement. All of those bad traits were now gone. So, that is the good news, you can get it there with good aftermarket dampers.

BMW does the same thing with their cars though, always undamped on the rebound stroke and over damped on compression. I think they are set up to be great on Euro smooth roads, not bumpy US roads. For US roads you really have to have stellar rebound control.
Why don't you just copy and paste LOL.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:10 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Why don't you just copy and paste LOL.
And has never even sat in a 4RS let alone driven or have real knowledge. Never seen such a 🤡🤡🤡 before.

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 05-13-2024 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:20 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Friendly reminder on what happens when you decide you want to go with a high end passive suspension setup. I spent 11K all in on a high end JRZ 3 way system on my 997.2RS because I was unhappy with ride quality and PASM at the time. I also tried DSC on the car before trying the JRZ system. I can honestly say the difference in both systems was much smaller than you may think. Based on what I learned from using both I personally think the value is in the DSC system. If you asked me to quantify I'd say the DSC controller made the car 20% more comfortable and the full JRZ system about 30% better. Things people forget about: Modifications to the car (mounting canisters brackets etc.) along with new sounds and creeks, multiple alignment costs, learning to adjust the rebound and compression for street and track, time without the car and do you want to do all this to new car and mess with your overall value? I will never do it again on a street car. On a race car if you have support and the knowledge to go with it 100%. My 2 cents.

Valid opinion, but just that.

I enjoyed the process of learning about compression, rebound, canister pressure, and tire pressure and how they all interact with each other and what each can and can't do. I spent more than a year trying different combos and learned a lot along the way. I am now at a point that I know exactly what to change and by how much to achieve a certain result.

I have no added noises or creaks (if you have those, then your installer messed up). I will concede on the alignments though, they can get expensive , but once you know where you want to be and what you want to achieve, it's a set and leave it.

While you only experienced a marginal difference, I experienced the total opposite, the difference was huge, not incremental. That will vary with chassis and how well the OEM set-up is, so that is a moving target. I have a few settings profiles I will move to depending on the weather (rain) and what I plan to do with the car. Takes 3 mins to change with the clicker dials.

I submit that is it is even more important on a street car (the cavat being if you are a professional race car driver and do it for a living) to have good damping as the roads are not as smooth and not maintained in the same way a track would be.
Old 05-13-2024, 04:24 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
]are not as smooth and not maintained in the same way a track would be.
You haven't run on the tracks I have
Old 05-13-2024, 04:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Does any high-end sports car these days use passive dampers?

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions