Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 11:18 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I've only done the one day where I drove the 4RS and GT3 the same day, and I haven't driven the GT3 much lately.

GT3 is definitely more civilized for daily driving based on sound level, though I would still give a win to the 4RS for ride quality because it doesn't tramline like the GT3 does.

I also think that perhaps the handling of the GT3 is more 'interesting' on the road because the front end is sharper than the 4RS, yet it still has the dynamics of a 911 where you have to pay some attention to managing the load at the front in corner entry, and then you can enjoy the traction in corner exit. It's a kind of dance unique to 911s. I'll offer further comparison when I've had more chance to drive them the same day. There's not much dancing with the 4RS in corners until you're starting to approach the limit, which requires going quite fast.

I definitely need to try a Lotus.
Thanks. Lotus shoots for 40/60 weight distribution even in mid engined cars, so there are some similarities to driving it like a 911, particularly on corner entry.

The following users liked this post:
Manifold (05-07-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 12:53 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,001 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I always run my PDK cars in manual mode on track. It's more engaging and fun, and I like to be in control of, and know, when the car is going to shift. Nice thing with PDK, as compared to a regular manual, is that there's no possibility of overrevving the engine or locking up the rear tires due to mis-shifting.
It's a matter of preference. In my 991RS, I tried both but found the PDK so good at gear selection that I ended up using it most of the time on track. So far, my impressions of the 4RS PDK is that it's even better thus my thoughts on going auto mode on track.

I find paddle shifting isn't as enjoyable to me as a full manual car. If I want to shift, I'll drive a manual car
The following 2 users liked this post by ChrisF:
Juggy (05-08-2024), Pokerhobo (05-14-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 04:22 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

PDK Auto is slower end of , if you feel you need it to help you get round a track then thats all good, but people saying it's better and people saying you cannot fit 3 shift in is daft, learn how to drive and never buy a real manual car ! . Some times the Auto changes too much, some times it changes out the bend because it got it wrong, it don;t know there is a car in front if you catch one up so gets confuses why you are going a bit slower . I found Auto mode horrible. plus it's slower as it tries and get 9k revs from the car which is much slower than shifting earlier.
So you loose time every shift ! not gain time like people think !
Old 05-08-2024, 10:40 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,017 Likes on 2,837 Posts

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
I found Auto mode horrible. plus it's slower as it tries and get 9k revs from the car which is much slower than shifting earlier.
So you loose time every shift ! not gain time like people think !
I’d be interested if you have any data to support this opinion? I can imagine that short-shifting might be helpful in certain (but definitely not all) situations.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:05 AM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GrantG
I’d be interested if you have any data to support this opinion? I can imagine that short-shifting might be helpful in certain (but definitely not all) situations.
yes I have the data so not an opinion, but stands to reason as peak hp is 8450 rpm, performance box same day sames road. 100-200 kph full auto 7.4 seconds manual 7.2 seconds. add in you might hit this speed 4 or 5 times on even a small track that is 1 seconds lost a lap.

Also full auto does so many more changes a lap, when no need, so you must lost even more time. I thought auto was **** on track.
Old 05-08-2024, 12:58 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

yes I have the data so not an opinion, but stands to reason as peak hp is 8450 rpm
Of course redline (and shift point) should be higher than the peak hp point on the tach. You have to also take into account the rpm at which you land in the following higher gear after an upshift. If you shift at the power peak, then you will be further from the power peak in the next gear than if you had shifted above the power peak. You need to maximize power/thrust over time (not at just the shift point).
The following 5 users liked this post by GrantG:
lovetoturn (05-08-2024), Manifold (05-08-2024), Mike981S (06-03-2024), UncleDude (05-08-2024), wizee (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 02:53 PM
Eric5280
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 93 Posts

yes I have the data so not an opinion, but stands to reason as peak hp is 8450 rpm, performance box same day sames road. 100-200 kph full auto 7.4 seconds manual 7.2 seconds. add in you might hit this speed 4 or 5 times on even a small track that is 1 seconds lost a lap.

Also full auto does so many more changes a lap, when no need, so you must lost even more time. I thought auto was **** on track.
You'd need repeated controlled testing. Also, the car dors not stand still for that .2 seconds, it's moving so you only gain a small time actual laptime advantage. Not 1 second. Need to calc the actual time gained over distance, not time to a speed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eric5280:
GrantG (05-08-2024), mrd_spy (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 04:05 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eric5280
You'd need repeated controlled testing. Also, the car dors not stand still for that .2 seconds, it's moving so you only gain a small time actual laptime advantage. Not 1 second. Need to calc the actual time gained over distance, not time to a speed.
silly me. Yes you might only gain 1 meter I,ll have to put the data in a distance vs time graph.
it’s slower though either way, so if you chase times, shifting earlier is faster . 9k is just for laughs not performance.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:10 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Of course redline (and shift point) should be higher than the peak hp point on the tach. You have to also take into account the rpm at which you land in the following higher gear after an upshift. If you shift at the power peak, then you will be further from the power peak in the next gear than if you had shifted above the power peak. You need to maximize power/thrust over time (not at just the shift point).
auto is slower, that's all that matters really is the point. Peak torque is 6750rpm. So for what ever reason torques, peak Bhp. Going to 9k is slower than going circa 8.5k ish.
Old 05-08-2024, 04:49 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

auto is slower, that's all that matters really is the point. Peak torque is 6750rpm. So for what ever reason torques, peak Bhp. Going to 9k is slower than going circa 8.5k ish.
You may want to continue to experiment with this before making a generalized conclusion (and create data to compare for each case). I would guess redline (or nearly redline) shifting (manually, if you prefer) should be fastest in many circumstances. Neither shifting at peak torque nor peak hp is fastest in most cases (it's usually fastest at redline or very close to redline).

While the gearing of the 4RS is unusually low (achieved by final drive ratio), the spacing between gears has not been adjusted (and this is the more critical variable with respect to shift points). You want to control the rev drops into the next gear and shifting high up the tach is the best way to do this (aside from changing the gear stack).

With only 600 rpm between peak power and redline, you won't have fallen too far off the power peak by redline (but you will fall quite a bit below the power peak in the higher gear if you short-shift).

Last edited by GrantG; 05-08-2024 at 05:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
TOporschefan (05-08-2024), wizee (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 05:07 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

9k is just for laughs not performance.
Porsche does not set the redline at 9k for laughs. It's entirely performance driven. If it was faster to shift at power peak of 8,400 rpm, I assure you that's where the redline would be (it's much harder on the engine to shift at 9k than 8,400 rpm and Porsche doesn't do it for any reason other than performance).

There is no manufacturer that sets the redline at power peak - it's always higher and it's always done for a reason other than just to impress...

The only car that does not benefit from shifting above power peak is one with a CVT transmission.

Last edited by GrantG; 05-08-2024 at 05:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by GrantG:
Juggy (05-08-2024), TOporschefan (05-08-2024), wizee (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 05:28 PM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,057 Likes on 426 Posts

You may want to continue to experiment with this before making a generalized conclusion (and create data to compare for each case). I would guess redline (or nearly redline) shifting (manually, if you prefer) should be fastest in many circumstances. Neither shifting at peak torque nor peak hp is fastest in most cases (it's usually fastest at redline or very close to redline).

Rennlist is the land of opinion-based, generalized conclusions.
The following 2 users liked this post by KelvinC:
GrantG (05-08-2024), lovetoturn (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 06:38 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

You guys should be careful about disagreeing with GrantG. He's a fountain of knowledge, and rarely wrong about anything related to cars.
The following users liked this post:
Eric5280 (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 09:42 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,099 Likes on 537 Posts

I just leave in auto most times and manually overshift when needed. You can have the best of both philosophies that way. The PDK is so smart that it will delay downshifts by just a hair into second gear coming off the main three straights of my track into tight 45 mph bends if I am going 100% vs (95% to 90%). So when I am working up the pressure and heat into the tires, I will manually override the PDK with an earlier down shift into second here and there under braking. I will also do an early upshift in three places to get the car into third for better torque management coming around some longer medium speed sweepers. If I am really going for that hot lap, I will let it ride in the higher rpms of second to get that momentary launch off the corner and just manage the slip angle.

I would suggest everyone try it both ways and also the hybrid method. That way you can be more engaged when you want to, and realize how good of a job the PDK really does. Then you can just put in auto and focus on all of the other aspects of tracking your car as fast as you can. I manually shifted 100% the first four times at the track under break-in and enjoyed it very much. Had to of course keep the revs down and was not at WOT. Everything was smooth and controlled. Then, once up to full tilt and all hell could break loose, I reverted to my auto/hybrid mode and haven't looked back. Everybody has an opinion, but I think all would agree that beginner to intermediate drivers will be faster in auto while advance to pro level drivers probably won't make much difference. To each his own.
The following 2 users liked this post by lovetoturn:
Ksdaoski (05-08-2024), TOporschefan (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 09:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

The Owner’s Manual is explicit that the car shouldn’t be tracked during the break-in period.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions