Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 07:35 PM
Spyder75
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
So to get this thread back on track, I have been driving the car a bit more and only have 1 day on track, however have 2 days at Bathurst coming up.

I have purchased a setup sheet from suspension secrets in the UK, I haven't seen them yet, but I reckon it'll give me some more camber up front and a little toe in at rear to fix up some high speed braking instability, and also improve tyre wear on track. I am not going to go changing any parts yet as want to see how I can go with just adjusting stock parts for now.

I have also done a few days using it as a "commuter" for work. Podcasts and music/ taking calls is no problem so far as being able to hear them and they can hear me clearly.
My car was setup by suspension secrets and it seems to work very well. I have no prior gt4 experience only gt3rs, which was setup by them also.

Tyre wear is very good so far. 3 days done.

A must do is max aero settings also, but do them at half time to compare.. amazing the difference in rear end stability under heavy braking.

I was much happier with the balance when I squared the tyre pressures on days two and three. 32 all around.

Bathurst, wow! Enjoy. Have driven around it a couple of times. Amazing. Lived not far from there for a while many moons ago.
The following users liked this post:
cafe_racer (11-16-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 07:38 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 648 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Here is a good question for you.

Do you think in the 'compromised' state of a stock car, you can outperform or get close to what the factory test drivers can do?

If that's a yes, then your 'improvements' make sense. If not, then you are just touching up Mona Lisa the painting.

There are certain things that fall outside of that scoop, like louder exhaust and such, sound is personal preference. Same with different wheel designs.

For the longest time, there wasn't double wishbone front suspension for the 911. People still went super quick, is that a must have? Put a good driver in a 991 GT3, .1 or .2 doesn't matter, heck or even a 997 GT3. Is it automatic that someone in a 992 GT3 will be quicker than him?

Not unlike say someone with a trick up AR15, fancy scope and laser and such, vs a Special Force guy with the same gun but only iron sights. Who will be the better shooter?
Well stated. It's amazing how a car can go 7:04 yet a member who quotes magazine stats and opinions can only manage 9:04 speaks the loudest about he problems of a car.
DFW01TT (11-17-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 07:50 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Fascinating, thanks for sharing. Interesting to see the GT4CS carries more speed through Radillon but loses most of its time down Kemmel and Blanchimont. Guess that mid engine dynamics make the butthole pucker less through Radillon, hence more speed, but it loses out on HP down the long stretches. Wonder what an un BoP'd GT4RS CS would do.
Yes, a GT4 RS CS should be an awesome car. Indeed, I hope to be in one for two days in Europe in April next year.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:30 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder75
My car was setup by suspension secrets and it seems to work very well. I have no prior gt4 experience only gt3rs, which was setup by them also.

Tyre wear is very good so far. 3 days done.

A must do is max aero settings also, but do them at half time to compare.. amazing the difference in rear end stability under heavy braking.

I was much happier with the balance when I squared the tyre pressures on days two and three. 32 all around.

Bathurst, wow! Enjoy. Have driven around it a couple of times. Amazing. Lived not far from there for a while many moons ago.
Excellent advice re: tyre pressures, thanks, I had been playing around with them with my one track day. Admittedly I have only done Max Aero on track, it's amazing how much that small amount of wing tilt obscures the view!

Also good to have some first hand knowledge on suspension secrets and GT4RS setups, thanks again.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:32 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Fascinating, thanks for sharing. Interesting to see the GT4CS carries more speed through Radillon but loses most of its time down Kemmel and Blanchimont. Guess that mid engine dynamics make the butthole pucker less through Radillon, hence more speed, but it loses out on HP down the long stretches. Wonder what an un BoP'd GT4RS CS would do.
Considering your interest, here is the onboard video from the GT4 CS lap.

At Eau Rouge, there is a big lift before he goes into the compression but is then back on the gas almost before he reaches the bottom of the compression.

At Stavelot, it is not entirely flat as there is a very brief feathering of the throttle just before the apex.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Dennis Olsen thru Stavelot.mov (16.64 MB, 44 views)
cafe_racer (11-15-2022)
Old 11-15-2022, 09:48 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

That little half lift tucks the front end into the apex nicely at Stavelot!

Old 11-16-2022, 12:56 AM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

Disclosure: have owned several Cayman/Boxsters over the years including GT4’s and Spyders, MT and PDK.

GT4 RS is inbound.

A lot of the back and forth here has been about whether a track-biased sports car at these prices should come set up better for that application, from the factory. Probably, but as may have said it still can produce outstanding performance in the right hands. Did the Porsche bean-counters influence the product? Of course, but also marketing. Is there a way to address some or all of that after the fact? Seems like it (which I think is a positive), it’s only a matter of $$$ . I’d bet MR is already working on the kit.

I don’t plan to track, strictly outings on twisty roads. In that application the mid-engine feel is a joy and even the way the platform can become unsettled is predictable and fun to work with. One thing I’m really looking forward to is the sound even though from all accounts it will be loud, a big step up from the 4-cylinder “noise” and dead sounding 982 4.0L motors. What I’m most looking forward to is the revised gearing which we all know has been seriously wrong for years. If I’m annoyed about anything, it’s that Porsche didn’t offer the GT4RS gear ratios in the earlier cars which would have made all of them a lot more enjoyable.
The following 2 users liked this post by red route 1:
Odin (11-24-2022), Underblu (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 02:53 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
As a point of reference/comparison, I was also at Spa on a different occasion driving a GT4 CS and a GT3 CUP. Dennis Olsen was the reference driver for the day and went out and put down a pair of reference laps for us.

His reference lap on slicks in the GT4 CS was 2:32.77.
His reference lap in the GT3 CUP was 2:25.60.
A 7.17sec difference.........
I for one, am pleased to see you posting again Chris.
The following 4 users liked this post by DFW01TT:
-eztrader- (11-17-2022), JAhmed (11-16-2022), Knutsm01 (11-16-2022), prof.nano (11-25-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 03:37 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,012 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
+1000

Your posts of the GT experience at Spa was awesome, and inspiring.

Can’t get enough track days.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:09 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
I have an GT4 RS incoming next year so have been catching up on the relevant GT4 RS threads not really intending to reply.......but I just could not help myself after reading some of the nonsense.
The following 8 users liked this post by Chris3963:
cafe_racer (11-16-2022), DFW01TT (11-17-2022), ExMB (11-16-2022), JAhmed (11-16-2022), Mike981S (04-05-2024), Odin (11-24-2022), prof.nano (11-25-2022), RealityGT (11-24-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-16-2022, 04:14 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
That little half lift tucks the front end into the apex nicely at Stavelot!
Yes. He would have understeered even further off track if he hadn't lifted there. A good demonstration of how you can steer with throttle with only small adjustments to the gas.
The following 3 users liked this post by Chris3963:
JAhmed (11-16-2022), RealityGT (11-24-2022), Underblu (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 08:12 AM
WirthO
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So to get this thread back on track, I have been driving the car a bit more and only have 1 day on track, however have 2 days at Bathurst coming up.

I have purchased a setup sheet from suspension secrets in the UK, I haven't seen them yet, but I reckon it'll give me some more camber up front and a little toe in at rear to fix up some high speed braking instability, and also improve tyre wear on track. I am not going to go changing any parts yet as want to see how I can go with just adjusting stock parts for now.

I have also done a few days using it as a "commuter" for work. Podcasts and music/ taking calls is no problem so far as being able to hear them and they can hear me clearly.
I am very interested in hearing more about track setups. I am hoping to hit the bend Motorsport park on the 30th.

a few questions;

Is there an understeer issue like the gt4 on the limit?
Have you changed the sway bars at all?
what camber settings are you looking to run?

I had to mod the gt4 a bit to get the car the way I liked it. I don’t really want to go down that route if I don’t have too. Although happy to get a camber kit if necessary. Love to hear any other things you have had the chance to play with in relation to track setup

thanks
Old 11-16-2022, 11:08 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963;18466512[b
]I have an GT4 RS incoming next year[/b] so have been catching up on the relevant GT4 RS threads not really intending to reply.......but I just could not help myself after reading some of the nonsense.
Congrats!!

One of my Swiss friends had his since August and already passed 5000km running in the Swiss mountains.
Mike981S (04-05-2024)
Old 11-16-2022, 11:30 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by WirthO
I am very interested in hearing more about track setups. I am hoping to hit the bend Motorsport park on the 30th.

a few questions;

Is there an understeer issue like the gt4 on the limit?
Have you changed the sway bars at all?
what camber settings are you looking to run?

I had to mod the gt4 a bit to get the car the way I liked it. I don’t really want to go down that route if I don’t have too. Although happy to get a camber kit if necessary. Love to hear any other things you have had the chance to play with in relation to track setup

thanks
Only two issues I experienced, rear end instability under braking at high speeds and understeer upon entry. Exit and mid corner were great (Siberia at PI is a good reference for me). My car is at the shop right now and they have contacted Manthey for setup suggestions, aside from going to high downforce it is stock. I'll report back on changes made and will also compare to what the UK Suspension Secrets shop suggests. I'd suggest drive it stock around a track first and adjust from there, the default behaviour is very different to a stock GT4.
WirthO (11-16-2022)
Old 11-16-2022, 11:52 PM
hershann
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

My 997 Gt3RS have had rear end instability (wiggling) when braking from high speed previously. After replacing the stock diff with a Guards unit with a 40/60 (accel / deccel) ramp - its now super stable when braking in the same conditions.

I have also tried Mclaren 570s / 650s on track where they exhibit slight rear end wiggling on hard braking - Mclaren have open diff.

I wonder if a more aggressive diff will eliminate this issue - maybe at the expense of more understeer though.

I run my Gt3RS with 13 minutes of toe in at the rear (each side) - and that’s likely what I will try to do with the 4RS - that’s just a bit more than the stock recommendation. Probably will not eliminate the rear end unstable feel on bumpy surfaces but may help reduce.

hershann

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions