Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 02:49 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Underblu
You are quoting a quote from who? another forum member? and trying to make it sound like it’s coming from Randy Pobst. “Slightly underdamped” is a reasonable assessment. the suggeation that the suspension on the GT4 is somehow subpar is complete hyperbolic BS.
Being under damped IS subpar and NOT a minor issue. That is one of the bigger factors in a car's stability at speed when handing bumps, dips, undulations, etc. on the road. The rebound stroke is what controls the chassis when it gets upset and a underdamped car is the worst.

You are not giving the issue the weight it deserves when it comes to chassis control.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:43 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 791 Posts

You are quoting a quote from who? another forum member? and trying to make it sound like it’s coming from Randy Pobst. “Slightly underdamped” is a reasonable assessment. the suggeation that the suspension on the GT4 is somehow subpar is complete hyperbolic BS.
No, Mr. Pobst said it himself:

[Url]

Old 11-12-2022, 03:57 PM
greatfox315
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
Being under damped IS subpar and NOT a minor issue. That is one of the bigger factors in a car's stability at speed when handing bumps, dips, undulations, etc. on the road. The rebound stroke is what controls the chassis when it gets upset and a underdamped car is the worst.

You are not giving the issue the weight it deserves when it comes to chassis control.
Using the GT4 as a gauge for how the GT4RS handles is misguided. I would reserve judgement until you’ve personally driven the car. The dampers are completely different, have a greater range of damping variability, and react much faster than those of the GT4. The GT4RS has the latest generation of Bilstein adaptive dampers.

The suspension has been heavily reworked, with stiffer springs, new faster-reacting adaptive Bilstein dampers, and spherical ball joints replacing all rubber bushings. Additionally, there's a greater range of camber and toe adjustment, so you can really tailor the handling to your preference.”

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...cayman-gt4-rs/

The following 6 users liked this post by greatfox315:
colnagoG60 (11-12-2022), Larry Cable (11-18-2022), lilbza (11-12-2022), Mr. Adair (11-12-2022), very green R (11-13-2022), wizee (11-12-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-12-2022, 04:43 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnimi123
I think the chassis, the geometry, mid engine platform are all really good on the GT4/Spyder and the GT4RS has the GT3 engine. Whats been compromised on the suspension is the rear struts (probably Porsche could not do anything about that without a full redesign of the platform and since its sunsetting that was out of the cards), spring rates, PASM and the dampers. We know the spring rates in the front 45nm are way too low for the car but were selected to give a certain ride quality (soft/compliant on the street - this gives the pogo effect). ..
FWIW, during a Porsche press junket earlier this year, where journalists were invited to drive multiple generations of 911s, one of the journalists reported that the engineers stated that the softer front spring rates in later gen cars, were to retain more of the analog feel, and provide more road feedback, in the electrically assisted cars
Old 11-12-2022, 05:11 PM
ilovegt
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
For 95% of people it is great...you are just focusing on the suspension and expectations (probably way too high...because Porsche). Maybe you were expecting GT3 performance/goodies at GT4 prices?
Nothing in this life is perfect...go check the paint on the new Ferraris. Is the car flawed? no, but paying that kind of $$$$ and having a poor paint job is a big No No. Still people buy them and are happy with them.
Is like me never buying a GM product as I hate their exterior and interior design.....but I can't deny they do perform very good on track (when they don't have issues )
good point. Let's not forget the sticky buttons, the battery and PTU ..

we are what we eat, we get what we do pay for. Quite simple. Porsche as a manufacturer does not survive by pleasing the minority. We should be just glad that they finally listened and give us a GT4RS.

It's your car, your money and do whatever you want with it. Let others who don't track or track on smooth surfaces enjoy the car they have been waiting for quite a few years. Or just create a separate thread for how to mod and improve GT4RS. I am looking for experiences from those who already own it, not those who own a GT4 and extrapolating their hypothetical experiences.

Last edited by ilovegt; 11-12-2022 at 05:13 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by ilovegt:
cafe_racer (11-12-2022), Fortis (11-14-2022), kkabba (11-12-2022), KLCC 88 (11-12-2022), rwm (01-07-2024), TNturboS (11-18-2022), twospyders (11-13-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-12-2022, 05:25 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 672 Posts

These are direct quotes from RB - -just look it up like I did....
Old 11-12-2022, 08:22 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
No, Mr. Pobst said it himself:

https://youtu.be/GEMVNS7Xj3E

My takeaway from that video is that Randy Pobst has high regards for the performance of the GT4 despite his preference for more damping.

No car is perfect, the GT4 is certainly no exception but it’s remarkably capable right out of the box. Sure toe-links, upgraded shocks can make a great performing car even better but the idea that the GT4 is somehow compromised is absolutely lost on me. There are some cars you have to drive with a degree of skill to get the best out of. The air cooled 911s where like that and the Carrera GT has its share of critics too. The Spyder/GT4 while relatively easy drive fast will make you aware thats it’s not a video game when pushing it.

Last edited by Underblu; 11-12-2022 at 08:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Odin (11-15-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 09:28 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

My takeaway from that video is that Randy Pobst has high regards for the performance of the GT4 despite his preference for more damping.

No car is perfect, the GT4 is certainly no exception but it’s remarkably capable right out of the box. Sure toe-links, upgraded shocks can make a great performing car even better but the idea that the GT4 is somehow compromised is absolutely lost on me. There are some cars you have to drive with a degree of skill to get the best out of. The air cooled 911s where like that and the Carrera GT has its share of critics too. The Spyder/GT4 while relatively easy drive fast will make you aware thats it’s not a video game when pushing it.
Roger that. However in the magazine article for the drive, he was increasingly frustrated by the understeer, even after making adjustments. Jason Cammissa also had a video where he couldn't get the car to rotate well (for a mid-enguned car) on a skid pad, again despite making changes as well. "Design flaw", or "by design"? Only Porsche knows.

But regarding the toe links, it's my understanding the aftermarket put them out to correct rear end instability under braking. That's probably something that should have been dialed out at the factory. This seems to have transferred from 981 to 718...hopefully rectified with the RS. Not that itll ever be my concern.
RomoNL (11-13-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 10:39 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

Having driven my GT4RS on track there is squirm under hard braking, especially coming into T1 at Philip Island, should be an easy fix. My lotus did the same and a small setup change resolved it.
RomoNL (11-13-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 10:59 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
Roger that. However in the magazine article for the drive, he was increasingly frustrated by the understeer, even after making adjustments. Jason Cammissa also had a video where he couldn't get the car to rotate well (for a mid-enguned car) on a skid pad, again despite making changes as well. "Design flaw", or "by design"? Only Porsche knows.

But regarding the toe links, it's my understanding the aftermarket put them out to correct rear end instability under braking. That's probably something that should have been dialed out at the factory. This seems to have transferred from 981 to 718...hopefully rectified with the RS. Not that itll ever be my concern.
No. The rear toe links from the factory are static and so you are limited on how much negative camber you can get at the rear (-1.6). So this is completely unsatisfactory and is the first thing (of many) that should be on everyones list who own a GT4 or Spyder. without it you cant get a decent alignment for the car even just for the street. Again why would Porsche do THAT to a GT car is beyond explanation - its intentional and its just not nice! Does anyone know if the GT4RS rear toe links are static? What is the factory alignment on the GT4RS? That would tell us alot about what they did or did not do for the RS. My speculation is they didnt do much except drop in the GT3 engine, put on a big wing and say here ya go!

Last edited by dnimi123; 11-12-2022 at 11:01 PM.
RomoNL (11-13-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 11:05 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

No...!
???

Given the numerous posts on rennlist, and TPC's own description of their toe links, "rear end instability under braking" is a thing.
RomoNL (11-13-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 11:15 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 115 Posts

No. The rear toe links from the factory are static and so you are limited on how much negative camber you can get at the rear (-1.6). So this is completely unsatisfactory and is the first thing (of many) that should be on everyones list who own a GT4 or Spyder. without it you cant get a decent alignment for the car even just for the street. Again why would Porsche do THAT to a GT car is beyond explanation - its intentional and its just not nice! Does anyone know if the GT4RS rear toe links are static? What is the factory alignment on the GT4RS? That would tell us alot about what they did or did not do for the RS. My speculation is they didnt do much except drop in the GT3 engine, put on a big wing and say here ya go!
On the 4RS, front and rear have both adjustable toe and camber +ARB's.

I have posted somewhere on rennlist the manual also referring to this with stock and adjustment figures. Also why waste your time and others with your "speculation" in a thread about driving impressions, wait until you take one for a drive, and if interested just read what others who have them say.

Last edited by cafe_racer; 11-12-2022 at 11:16 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by cafe_racer:
ilovegt (11-13-2022), ISPYA718 (11-13-2022), Kermit_the_Frog (11-29-2022), lilbza (11-13-2022), Odin (11-15-2022), SpicyMode (11-30-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-12-2022, 11:45 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
On the 4RS, front and rear have both adjustable toe and camber +ARB's.

I have posted somewhere on rennlist the manual also referring to this with stock and adjustment figures. Also why waste your time and others with your "speculation" in a thread about driving impressions, wait until you take one for a drive, and if interested just read what others who have them say.
Both the GT4 and GT4 RS have adjustable rear toe in stock form, though an eccentric rather than adjustable length links. The GT4 RS has different longer rear toe links than the GT4 though (along with different control arms etc), so it can achieve more rear camber while remaining in spec for toe than the regular GT4, but adjustable length rear toe links would allow a much greater range of rear camber. I don’t know if the GT4 RS suspension geometry changes have reduced rear bump steer (toe out on braking) compared to the GT4. The stiffer springs and more balanced front to rear spring rates would probably have helped a bit on this front too.

Regarding understeer on track, a little more negative camber in front really does mostly dial it out, the rest is just managing weight balance (with throttle and brake) through corners and managing corner entry speeds.

Regarding damping, the GT4 RS dampers are completely different units from the GT4. With that said, I’ve never understood what TRZ06 and dnimi123 harp on about endlessly. I’ve never driven a GT4, only have a Spyder which has slightly different damper tuning, but honestly the damping on my Spyder feels great and well judged even on crappy roads, considerably worse than most I’ve encountered in California.

Having a double wishbone or multi link suspension could help improve rear end stability on braking and allow running less static camber, but with a suitable alignment the strut based setup works great and it still outgrips most cars equipped with more elaborate geometry.
The following 4 users liked this post by wizee:
Mike981S (04-05-2024), RomoNL (11-13-2022), Underblu (11-13-2022), ZaGT4 (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 12:41 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wizee
Both the GT4 and GT4 RS have adjustable rear toe in stock form, though an eccentric rather than adjustable length links. The GT4 RS has different longer rear toe links than the GT4 though (along with different control arms etc), so it can achieve more rear camber while remaining in spec for toe than the regular GT4, but adjustable length rear toe links would allow a much greater range of rear camber. I don’t know if the GT4 RS suspension geometry changes have reduced rear bump steer (toe out on braking) compared to the GT4. The stiffer springs and more balanced front to rear spring rates would probably have helped a bit on this front too.

Regarding understeer on track, a little more negative camber in front really does mostly dial it out, the rest is just managing weight balance (with throttle and brake) through corners and managing corner entry speeds.

Regarding damping, the GT4 RS dampers are completely different units from the GT4. With that said, I’ve never understood what TRZ06 and dnimi123 harp on about endlessly. I’ve never driven a GT4, only have a Spyder which has slightly different damper tuning, but honestly the damping on my Spyder feels great and well judged even on crappy roads, considerably worse than most I’ve encountered in California.

Having a double wishbone or multi link suspension could help improve rear end stability on braking and allow running less static camber, but with a suitable alignment the strut based setup works great and it still outgrips most cars equipped with more elaborate geometry.
Ill let everyone know how much better the GT4 drives after the install of MCS 2 ways is later this week...
RomoNL (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 12:48 AM
lilbza
Pro

Received 548 Likes on 254 Posts

Ill let everyone know how much better the GT4 drives after the install of MCS 2 ways is later this week...
Might be best to start a GT4 driving impressions thread then, not sure this is the thread for it.
The following 6 users liked this post by lilbza:
cafe_racer (11-13-2022), dnimi123 (11-13-2022), ilovegt (11-13-2022), Odin (11-15-2022), SpicyMode (11-30-2022), TNturboS (11-18-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions