Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 12:48 AM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,120 Likes on 678 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
???

Given the numerous posts on rennlist, and TPC's own description of their toe links, "rear end instability under braking" is a thing.
Yes of course it is, silly. Thats all we have been talking about. Several manufacturers make adjustable rear toe links for the GT4/Spyder. They all serve the purpose of getting a better negative camber at the rear of the car. The larger the neg camber, the less rear end instability. However, there is also toe deflection which happens when the wheels move up and down changing the angle of the wheel/tire in and out which also causes rear end instability and other repercussions to the entire car as the tire patch lands on the pavement. What TPC says is that their rear toe link has an offset to it that even further reduces toe deflection. Some people agree with this others think its malarkey. So to simplify I just stated the main thin about the adjustable toe links and thats to get better rear end neg camber... sorry my answer was incomplete.
The following users liked this post:
RomoNL (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 02:34 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 833 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Yes of course it is, silly. Thats all we have been talking about. Several manufacturers make adjustable rear toe links for the GT4/Spyder. They all serve the purpose of getting a better negative camber at the rear of the car. The larger the neg camber, the less rear end instability. However, there is also toe deflection which happens when the wheels move up and down changing the angle of the wheel/tire in and out which also causes rear end instability and other repercussions to the entire car as the tire patch lands on the pavement. What TPC says is that their rear toe link has an offset to it that even further reduces toe deflection. Some people agree with this others think its malarkey. So to simplify I just stated the main thin about the adjustable toe links and thats to get better rear end neg camber... sorry my answer was incomplete.
You don’t need more rear camber for rear stability, you just increase rear camber to balance front grip and tire wear when you also increase front camber for track use.

The stock GT4 rear toe adjustment is done through an eccentric, it’s not “static”, but one issue is that the stock GT4 rear toe links are near the upper end of their adjustment range even with the stock alignment. Rear instability under braking is mainly due to toe out under braking (bump steer). You can cure it with either more static toe in, or reducing the toe change under braking with TPC offset toe links. Stock alignment with TPC offset toe links does greatly improve the stability under braking, I’ve felt it first hand and the toe change under suspension travel curves show that clearly.
The following 4 users liked this post by wizee:
matttheboatman (11-13-2022), Mike981S (04-05-2024), NastyHabits (11-25-2022), RomoNL (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 04:25 AM
WirthO
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
No. The rear toe links from the factory are static and so you are limited on how much negative camber you can get at the rear (-1.6). So this is completely unsatisfactory and is the first thing (of many) that should be on everyones list who own a GT4 or Spyder. without it you cant get a decent alignment for the car even just for the street. Again why would Porsche do THAT to a GT car is beyond explanation - its intentional and its just not nice! Does anyone know if the GT4RS rear toe links are static? What is the factory alignment on the GT4RS? That would tell us alot about what they did or did not do for the RS. My speculation is they didnt do much except drop in the GT3 engine, put on a big wing and say here ya go!
Yup. I had to purchase GT4 Clubsport control arms to dial the camber out at the rear. Then chucked on a Fabspeed GT450 performance package and the car became amazing. I never upgraded the suspension though. I was pretty disappointed to have to purchase the control arms, as I would have thought you would be able to do this with a GT car out of the box. I also put PFC front rotors and RSL-1 pads on as I was chewing through OEM front rotors. The FABSPEED package increased HP and fixed the lower-end torque issue.

I loved the GT4, however, I found to compete with its bigger brothers it needed some options as you have been stating above. It certainly was an amazing car to learn how to track with.

I can understand everyone's point of view however if you are focused on lap times, the car needs mods. If you want to scoot around the track and don't care about times, or drive through the hills, sure I wouldn't probably bother either. I don't think anyone here is saying it's a sh*t car, it just could have been better for the money.

Anyways just getting my GT4RS PPF wrapped. See how it goes.

Last edited by WirthO; 11-13-2022 at 04:30 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by WirthO:
dnimi123 (11-13-2022), FASTRKMAN (11-13-2022), RomoNL (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 06:07 AM
RomoNL
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 20 Posts

I don`t want to be harsh, I want to be honest.

And IMHO it's not only track where suspension flaws are subject, but also hard driving the car on bumpy tarmac.(as stated in my previous post-, it felt very unsatisfying, unsafe, not in control of the car)

So I hope my coming GT4RS will be better in that respect, I'll find oud in 2023, I'll post about my experiences ASAP

I have to say I really like to discuss this matter, not by bashing the car, but just to learn and make it better, to understand and improve.

Thanks for all input on this subject. Much appreciated !

Last edited by RomoNL; 11-13-2022 at 06:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by RomoNL:
dnimi123 (11-13-2022), TRZ06 (11-13-2022), twospyders (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,096 Likes on 481 Posts

What suspension setting are you using?

I found after a few track days of using the hard mode, that I went much, MUCH faster after switching to the soft setting. The car is more progressive and less likely to step out of shape on you. It also doesn't trigger the stability control anywhere near as much because it slows down the rate of change of things.

Perhaps if I had the guts to disable stability control the firmer setting would be a bit quicker, but I found it to be a night and day difference by leaving it in the softer setting.
Larry Cable (11-18-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 06:05 PM
cafe_racer
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy

I found after a few track days of using the hard mode, that I went much, MUCH faster after switching to the soft setting. The car is more progressive and less likely to step out of shape on you. It also doesn't trigger the stability control anywhere near as much because it slows down the rate of change of things.

Perhaps if I had the guts to disable stability control the firmer setting would be a bit quicker, but I found it to be a night and day difference by leaving it in the softer setting.
You've already done a few track days in your 4RS, thats quick!

I did it in both firm and standard, firm was faster for me on a smooth GP track.
Petro (12-08-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 07:01 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy

I have learned this over the last year as I experimented with my MCS damper settings. The tighter you have the car set-up, the edgier the car gets and the break away point becomes more abrupt. You have to find that balance of having enough support (compression) and chassis control (rebound) , but not too much that the car gets snappy. If I loosen the car up too much I can introduce the rear to get unstable under braking (even with 2.2 mm toe in per side), but that all goes away as you tighten the car down on the compression side.

Tire pressures also play a role in all of this as well.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:18 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by TRZ06
I have learned this over the last year as I experimented with my MCS damper settings. The tighter you have the car set-up, the edgier the car gets and the break away point becomes more abrupt. You have to find that balance of having enough support (compression) and chassis control (rebound) , but not too much that the car gets snappy. If I loosen the car up too much I can introduce the rear to get unstable under braking (even with 2.2 mm toe in per side), but that all goes away as you tighten the car down on the compression side.

Agreed. It all comes down on the type of surface your track (or road) has. For pristine, smooth as glass tracks I could see the use of the Sport setting on the OEM PASM.
Not my case, our track is bumpy and you need to get on the curbs a lot.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:17 PM
Spyder75
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 49 Posts

You’ve had your 4rs for a year? Wow
Old 11-13-2022, 08:46 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,656 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder75
You’ve had your 4rs for a year? Wow

Two actually. But shhhhh, it's a secret. It's a special one off prototype with smoke screen and oil slick. Unfortunately, they left out the machine guns. SAD
Spyder75 (11-14-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 10:34 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 240 Posts

Drove about 100 miles around town today, and played with a few of the center console buttons and made a few observations. Correct, there is no auto engine on/off button because that function does not exists on the 4RS.

PDK SPORT button ON is definately more fun around town. It raises the shift point at little, and does sound better making more aggressive downshifts. So for me, PDK sport ON all the time.

The Suspension button. When On, you instantly feel the surface of the road through you fingertips and butt. I intentionally started running over the yellow lane dividers to test it. ON, I feel them very clearly. Off, you barely feel them. But the wierd thing is that ON no decernable effect on larger bumps or a feeling that the suspension is any firmer. What I'm saying is the button does NOT go from Soft to Stiff suspension. I would say the suspension is "Firm" but compliant either way. But, ON gives you a very clear road feeling sensation, where OFF smooths out the road surface. For me, it will be OFF unless I'm on track.

Sport Exhaust button does lower the pitch of the exhaust But, it does create uncomfortable drone at about 3,500 rpms. The deeper sound and drone has the side effect of covering up the grlorious sounds come from the engine. So for me, Sport Exhaust remains OFF.

The following 3 users liked this post by matttheboatman:
DFW01TT (11-14-2022), Mike981S (04-05-2024), rwm (01-07-2024)
Old 11-13-2022, 11:02 PM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,096 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by cafe_racer
You've already done a few track days in your 4RS, thats quick!

I did it in both firm and standard, firm was faster for me on a smooth GP track.
I don't have an RS, my point is not to assume that the firm setting is faster. Many people run their cars for years in the firmer setting without even considering that soft might be better for them.

Last edited by Reedy; 11-13-2022 at 11:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Reedy:
colnagoG60 (11-13-2022), jmartpr (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 09:13 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Being under damped IS subpar and NOT a minor issue. That is one of the bigger factors in a car's stability at speed when handing bumps, dips, undulations, etc. on the road. The rebound stroke is what controls the chassis when it gets upset and a underdamped car is the worst.

You are not giving the issue the weight it deserves when it comes to chassis control.

You seem to prefer the feel of the Camaro ZL1with MCS you had prior to your GT4. That’a fine. Maybe the GT4 is too direct and raw for you. There are big, high tech sedans that feel more composed and confidence inspiring over rough pavement. -despite the fact that their handling dynamics are inferior to the GT4 and they will run out of mechanical grip sooner.

Porsche GT cars are built for the racetrack and that is the only reasonable place to fully explore the GT4’s handling dynamics. You haven’t tracked the GT4 so I don’t understand how you can accurately assess it’s at the limit performance.

Preferring the Camaro’s handling over broken street pavement is a preference. It is not a point of fact indicative of anything lacking with the GT4’s handling. I’ve found the Camaro big and numb despite plush damping. Doesn’t mean it’s a bad car or deficient it just means that I prefer the livelier more raw feel of the GT4/Spyder with it’s mid engine chassis and simpler more direct suspension setup.

Last edited by Underblu; 11-14-2022 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2022, 09:18 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by RomoNL
I don`t want to be harsh, I want to be honest.

And IMHO it's not only track where suspension flaws are subject, but also hard driving the car on bumpy tarmac.(as stated in my previous post-, it felt very unsatisfying, unsafe, not in control of the car)

So I hope my coming GT4RS will be better in that respect, I'll find oud in 2023, I'll post about my experiences ASAP

I have to say I really like to discuss this matter, not by bashing the car, but just to learn and make it better, to understand and improve.

Thanks for all input on this subject. Much appreciated !
The GT4RS is a GT4 with a GT3 engine and some very minor suspension tweaks. Congrats on the allocation but if you found the GT4 “unsatisfying unsafe and not in control” I don’t see how the GT3s engine in the GT4RS changes that
dnimi123 (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 10:04 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,483 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Sport Exhaust button does lower the pitch of the exhaust But, it does create uncomfortable drone at about 3,500 rpms. The deeper sound and drone has the side effect of covering up the grlorious sounds come from the engine. So for me, Sport Exhaust remains OFF.
Interesting.....

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions