Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 RS Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 01:16 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,505 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4RSYMPHONY
Can you say more about what makes it more exciting?
Engine, its a true masterpiece. The power/torque delivery is just always there and has tons of drama(4RS is very linear and not super dramatic with its delivery), the DCT also has a "kick" to it which adds to the experience. The car doesn't like to stay "planted" and moves around alot which commands your attention and creates that sense of drama/excitement. When you own a Ferrari you can tell they designed them to have that low speed excitement which makes it an experience to drive. However as I mentioned if you do tracking/lots of spirited canyon drives I'd take the 4RS all day because it doesn't move around a lot and stays planted along with giving you more confidence to push the car harder.

It's good to have both but if you want true excitement for street driving the 458 is a much more exciting car than the 4RS. Here's some pics of it from this weekend out in Malibu with my Porsche buddies.

The following 2 users liked this post by cooler2442:
ISPYA718 (05-01-2024), Mike981S (06-03-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 01:39 PM
GT4inOC
Track Day

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts

I have not gotten bored of the 4RS in the least bit. Even a drive to the grocery store is exciting to me. Granted, the Soul OAP and Fabspeed rear muffler add lots of nice sound, but I can’t keep myself from driving it. It has only been 4 months but I’ve done 7 track days and logged over 8,000 miles of total driving in it. My overall impressions are that it’s fantastic on nicely paved tracks but once an uneven/bumpy surface comes into play, it becomes a lot more difficult to wrangle. My Buttonwillow time in the 4RS stock was 1.5 seconds slower than my GT4 time with some moderate upgrades and SC3R tires. Going back on 5/10 with my current setup (CRSv2’s 255/305, 6-point harness, exhaust, F+R camber plates & other alignment goodies) and also just installed the DSC controller. Still unsure of what I’ll be able to put down but from stock setup to current setup (minus the DSC controller) I dropped 2.5 seconds at Chuckwalla.

Oh, and here is that 458 Italia turning Chuckwalla into a rally course. Hopefully the video works…not the best at using Rennlist.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Off Track Ferrari.mov (13.78 MB, 20 views)
Old 04-30-2024, 03:12 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 696 Posts

Looking forward to DSC Sport feedback from you @GT4inOC
The following users liked this post:
GT4inOC (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 03:47 PM
alcc
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by cooler2442
Engine, its a true masterpiece. The power/torque delivery is just always there and has tons of drama(4RS is very linear and not super dramatic with its delivery), the DCT also has a "kick" to it which adds to the experience. The car doesn't like to stay "planted" and moves around alot which commands your attention and creates that sense of drama/excitement. When you own a Ferrari you can tell they designed them to have that low speed excitement which makes it an experience to drive. However as I mentioned if you do tracking/lots of spirited canyon drives I'd take the 4RS all day because it doesn't move around a lot and stays planted along with giving you more confidence to push the car harder.

It's good to have both but if you want true excitement for street driving the 458 is a much more exciting car than the 4RS. Here's some pics of it from this weekend out in Malibu with my Porsche buddies.
Exactly. Incomparable engine. Live chassis. Light on its feet (toes). Darty front-end. A thrill at all speeds and all rpms.

Old 04-30-2024, 05:10 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Took delivery of our 4RS today.

My wife drove it first, by herself. She likes the way it looks. She finds it to be quite loud. Coming from a 981 GT4, it took her a while to get used to driving a PDK car.

I next drove for about 50 miles, by myself. The car has the Dunlops, and the pressure was way too high, 38 F and 44 R; I didn't realize that until I was on the road, and didn't take any air out for the first drive. Ambient temp about 86 F.

I've driven my friend's 4RS three times, so today wasn't my first drive of a 4RS, but it's a little different when it's your car and you can do whatever you want. I generally stayed within the break in rules and never went above 7k rpm, but I did have plenty of occasions to go full throttle. Here are some first impressions as an owner:

- The ride quality is fine, even in the firmer damping mode and with tire pressures that were too high. There's a velvety quality to the ride, and on some surfaces at some speeds, the 992 GT3 and 992 TTS (w/ SPASM) have worse ride quality than the 4RS.

- The car is definitely loud, and I think loud enough to rule it out as a daily driver. If you're cruising like a grandma, the car is quiet, but as soon as you drive it with even a little vigor, it gets louder quickly. I think that my wife will find the car too loud for her to want to drive it on the weekends, and on track she may wear earplugs (I may also). Even on the road, I think that some people who don't want to deal with the noise may want to wear earplugs or noise-cancelling ear buds. For some people, the loudness will be the best feature of the car, for others it will be a fatal flaw.

- The car definitely lacks mid-range punch compared to the 992 GT3 and 991.2 3RS. It doesn't feel 'weak', but it also doesn't feel quite like 500 hp in a light car.

- Even with my overinflated tires, the car has plenty of grip. It turns in well on the brakes and load up nicely. I didn't yet get on the throttle aggressively enough in corner exit to test the rear grip. I shouldn't really comment on the handling based on overinflated tires, but my current sense is that the 992 GT3 does have more stability in cornering. Some reviewers have commented that the SRS has better handling on the road than the 4RS, and I can believe that; the 4RS springs seem to be optimized for the track rather than the road. The 4RS also doesn't feel as communicative as the 991.2 3RS.

- The car looks good, but not the same presence to my eyes as a GT3 or GT3 RS.

- I like the cockpit of the 4RS a lot, and much prefer it over the bigger and more digital cabin of the 992 GT3.

Overall, I think the 4RS is a great car, but I wouldn't trade my 992 GT3 or 991.2 3RS to get a 4RS. And I don't think I'd buy a 4RS as a road-only car; for me, it's a track car that I can drive on the road. For road only, I'd probably choose our manual Cayman R or a 981 GT4 or manual 718 GT4 over the 4RS, and, most days, I'd choose my McLaren 570 over any Porsche. Just my subjective opinions, and these opinions can and probably will change as a I drive the 4RS more and as my moods vary.
The following 3 users liked this post by Manifold:
alcc (04-30-2024), jabwind51 (05-10-2024), Mike981S (06-03-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 05:21 PM
alcc
Instructor

Originally Posted by Manifold

My wife drove it first, by herself. She likes the way it looks. She finds it to be quite loud. Coming from a 981 GT4, it took her a while to get used to driving a PDK car.

I next drove for about 50 miles, by myself. The car has the Dunlops, and the pressure was way too high, 38 F and 44 R; I didn't realize that until I was on the road, and didn't take any air out for the first drive. Ambient temp about 86 F.

I've driven my friend's 4RS three times, so today wasn't my first drive of a 4RS, but it's a little different when it's your car and you can do whatever you want. I generally stayed within the break in rules and never went above 7k rpm, but I did have plenty of occasions to go full throttle. Here are some first impressions as an owner:

- The ride quality is fine, even in the firmer damping mode and with tire pressures that were too high. There's a velvety quality to the ride, and on some surfaces at some speeds, the 992 GT3 and 992 TTS (w/ SPASM) have worse ride quality than the 4RS.

- The car is definitely loud, and I think loud enough to rule it out as a daily driver. If you're cruising like a grandma, the car is quiet, but as soon as you drive it with even a little vigor, it gets louder quickly. I think that my wife will find the car too loud for her to want to drive it on the weekends, and on track she may wear earplugs (I may also). Even on the road, I think that some people who don't want to deal with the noise may want to wear earplugs or noise-cancelling ear buds. For some people, the loudness will be the best feature of the car, for others it will be a fatal flaw.

- The car definitely lacks mid-range punch compared to the 992 GT3 and 991.2 3RS. It doesn't feel 'weak', but it also doesn't feel quite like 500 hp in a light car.

- Even with my overinflated tires, the car has plenty of grip. It turns in well on the brakes and load up nicely. I didn't yet get on the throttle aggressively enough in corner exit to test the rear grip. I shouldn't really comment on the handling based on overinflated tires, but my current sense is that the 992 GT3 does have more stability in cornering. Some reviewers have commented that the SRS has better handling on the road than the 4RS, and I can believe that; the 4RS springs seem to be optimized for the track rather than the road. The 4RS also doesn't feel as communicative as the 991.2 3RS.

- I like the cockpit of the 4RS a lot, and much prefer it over the bigger and more digital cabin of the 992 GT3.

Overall, I think the 4RS is a great car, but I wouldn't trade my 992 GT3 or 991.2 3RS to get a 4RS. And I don't think I'd buy a 4RS as a road-only car; for me, it's a track car that I can drive on the road. For road only, I'd probably choose our manual Cayman R or a 981 GT4 or manual 718 GT4 over the 4RS, and, most days, I'd choose my McLaren 570 over any Porsche. Just my subjective opinions, and these opinions can and probably will change as a I drive the 4RS more and as my moods vary.
Not a surprise. We agree on all fronts: ride is firm but rounded, car is loud, midrange is lacking, size is great.

Manifold (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 06:11 PM
mrd_spy
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

He did not say the midrange was lacking, he said it did not feel like a 991.2 RS but then Porsche upped where the peak torque is these days. From 6250 to 6750 rpm, to be honest the car is BETTER with the higher rpm on torque not worse !
its a plus point not a negative unless you drive it like your nanny ;-) , so I still think these are odd comments for the car and what’s it's been made to do. Also you can cruise at 95mph with zero induction noise ! So it’s only loud if you want it to be loud.
on track I wear ear plugs. But the 4rs is a lot faster not going to 9k, the cars faster changing in manual mode at 8.5k revs.
I did 100-200 auto in 7.4 seconds, in manual mode shifting slightly lower revs 7.2 seconds. The book est figure is 7.8 so the cars are pissing over book figures.

Last edited by mrd_spy; 04-30-2024 at 06:16 PM.
TOporschefan (05-01-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 09:18 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,099 Likes on 537 Posts

The slightly off midrange torque is Porsche just taking away 11 pounds of torque, which is most notable in that midrange area. Per their spec, it is 332 vs 343. There is a solution however, with either Kline's or Soul's cat back exhaust. They are the basic design. You recover that lost 11 pounds and gain back even more. Plus with the always mixing of the X-pipe exhaust flow, they sound much better. These exhausts add back a peak (5k) of about 30 pounds of torque at and horsepower in the midrange and another 15-20 across the top end too. The engine runs cooler without the second cat, the muffler baffling, and the narrower tubing. You are less likely to lose power on a hot day this way. See below graph

Drifting (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 09:20 PM
alcc
Instructor

Except you lose, or risk losing, your warranty.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:38 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Ok, I fixed the tire pressure and drove the car two more times today, with the wife in the right seat, adding another 60 miles. So we have 150 mile on the odometer the first day and the car already needs a wash.

Further impressions:

- The car is quiet when off the throttle and lower revs. But I still say it's loud when heavier on the throttle. Sounds great when you're in the mood for loud, would be nice if there was a volume control when not in that mood. But this is clearly a design feature of the car, take it or leave it.

- The handling is better with correct tire pressures, and the grip is quite high. Too high for road use? Hard to approach the limit without going very fast.

- The shifting is really fast - faster than the 992 GT3 - accented by the accompanying percussive sounds.

- Ride quality is quite good. I don't understand that complaint at all. On smoother roads, I preferred the firmer damper setting, because it controls the body motion better.

- I still say the car lacks some mid-range punch, feels about 10-15% less than I'd expect. But it's really not a big deal, the car is fast overall.

- The brake feel with the PCCBs is excellent, and the car feels very stable when trailbraking (but I haven't attempted to enter corners truly near the limit).

- The car 'wiggles' in corners more than a GT3/RS, definitely still a Cayman.

Overall, I think it's a really excellent car, and I'm really enjoying driving it, but best suited for skilled drivers who'll drive it aggressively on the road or track. If I had pick either a 4RS, 992 GT3, or 991.2 3RS as a road-only car, the 4RS would definitely be a contender to be the one. They all have their own strengths and personalities.

I think Porsche could only make a car like this as the last ICE Cayman. They couldn't have made it sooner, because then every other Cayman that came after might seem too tepid.

Last edited by Manifold; 04-30-2024 at 09:40 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Manifold:
alcc (04-30-2024), DrainsWalletsFast (05-08-2024), Eric5280 (04-30-2024), Mike981S (06-03-2024), Taffy66 (05-01-2024), TOporschefan (05-01-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-30-2024, 10:11 PM
168glhs1986
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

When I got mine, I liked it...the more I spent time with it the more I grew to love it. Now I can't imagine having a garage without it. Funny how this thing just flipped the script on me.

Also how are you comparing mid range punch already at 150 miles lol. Are you WOT already. Any plans to change the exhaust to get back that mid range punch?

Last edited by 168glhs1986; 04-30-2024 at 10:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 168glhs1986:
Manifold (04-30-2024), TOporschefan (05-01-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 10:19 PM
GT4RSYMPHONY
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by alcc
Except you lose, or risk losing, your warranty.
who has lost warranty for a catback exhaust?
Airbag997 (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 10:50 PM
lovetoturn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,099 Likes on 537 Posts

Have not heard of that yet. However, if part of your 200 cell aftermarket cat crumbles and gets back washed into a cylinder like happened to someone I know, then you are on your own. Personaly, I am not ready to risk that on a $100,000 motor that you can't even get right now. You should be ok with a cat back system, at least hear in the USA. Not sure about ROW.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:07 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 168glhs1986
When I got mine, I liked it...the more I spent time with it the more I grew to love it. Now I can't imagine having a garage without it. Funny how this thing just flipped the script on me.

Also how are you comparing mid range punch already at 150 miles lol. Are you WOT already. Any plans to change the exhaust to get back that mid range punch?
Here are break-in guidelines. WOT is not prohibited.

Mike981S (06-03-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 11:56 PM
alcc
Instructor

Originally Posted by GT4RSYMPHONY
who has lost warranty for a catback exhaust?
Consumer law is jurisdiction-dependent. Porsche Canada for example has been clear about intent to crack down.

Quick Reply: GT4 RS Driving Impressions