Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDLS+ Availability Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 11:13 PM
Aaronr
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 12 Posts

Feels like I should go buy a lottery ticket.

Feb Order, May Build, arrived to dealer today.

2022 model year, got Bose and LED's

Must have just made it at the tail end.

The following 2 users liked this post by Aaronr:
AlexCeres (08-10-2022), X2Board (08-15-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 11:14 PM
PaulE
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by unclemat
^ Agree with that. Dropping options is one thing, but customers should be given an opportunity to adjust.

The electric power steering adjustment issue kinda pissed me, too. Porsche "Here is $500. Take it or leave it". Pretty lousy customer service.
Also kind of scattershot - "You have a GT4 on order which never offered the option of an electric steering column adjustment. Here's $500 for you too!
Old 08-09-2022, 11:18 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
Anyone dropping their order over the headlights is just freeing up space for someone who actually appreciates the car for what it is. We should be thanking the ones who are dropping their orders for letting them go to the real enthusiasts.
Some people want the best audio, lights, seats, and brakes available. One could argue that those are the things sought after by enthusiasts and are not usually on rental car spec sheets. Go rent an "exotic" car at a rental agency and it will usually have all of the base options checked as non-enthusiasts know what a Ferrari is but don't understand the +$80k difference in a base vs. fully specced model. Most non-enthusiasts couldn't care less about this stuff. If I try to explain to my wife the difference between iron and ceramic brakes, her eyes will glaze over, forget headlights.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:22 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aaronr
Feels like I should go buy a lottery ticket.

Feb Order, May Build, arrived to dealer today.

2022 model year, got Bose and LED's

Must have just made it at the tail end.

I think it is just the 2023s we are talking about. Mine was built in late July and it too has them.

Last edited by MaddMike; 08-10-2022 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:58 PM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Reedy
They work. The only people who complain are more worried about how the car looks than whether they work, because they work just fine.
I'm not following the logic. The 2 ways also work just fine so why would anyone want the LWBS?
The following 2 users liked this post by Clark_Kent:
6IXSPD (08-10-2022), MaddMike (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 12:39 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
I'm not following the logic. The 2 ways also work just fine so why would anyone want the LWBS?
Agreed, the same with any option. Porsche owners who order their cars from the factory want to be able to spec their cars to their tastes, needs, and driving style. Maybe all Porsches should be Carrera White as that color has been working just fine since the original Carrera. True enthusiasts would know that and not want any other color.
Old 08-10-2022, 12:55 AM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,440 Likes on 772 Posts

Lots of people seek out the 991.2 GT3's that have the nicer headlights, have a feeling the same will occur with the GT4/Spyder on the used market in the future. Think the most in demand options will be: 6MT, LWB's, PCCB's, Full Leather, PDLS+ as time goes on.

Already very easy to see the PCCB vs Steel and Sofa vs LWB premiums on the 981 GT4/Spyders.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:06 AM
Reedy
Burning Brakes

Received 1,077 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
Your right, you're not following along. One makes a significant difference to the way the car feels and drives and the other doesn't. Yawl act as if the base model doesn't even come with headlights yet they are probably still better than most other cars you own. Throwing away an allocation over that is madness, unless you didn't really care for the car in the first place.

"Grandpa, tell me the story about that time you had the opportunity to order one of the last of its kind, best drivers cars the world has ever seen. Then didn't"
"Well...... The headlights weren't completely perfect"

Last edited by Reedy; 08-10-2022 at 01:34 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Reedy:
JAhmed (08-10-2022), josephr25 (08-10-2022), RoadrunnerGTS (08-10-2022), sinking (08-10-2022), TXRubicon (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 01:57 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
I disagree with this statement. PDLS+ LED headlamps way out perform BiXenons functionally. If you disagree, you don't drive at night on B roads. I could care less about visual design it's about the performance of visually seeing ahead.
Probably true but the GT4RS isn't really driving at night on the back roads kind of car, it's a track weapon to put a hurtin on GT3s and GT3RSs so the headlights aren't a big deal to me.
Old 08-10-2022, 01:58 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I think it is just the 2023s we are talking about. Mine was built in late July and it too has them.
Yeah, I wonder if 2023 GT3s/Tourings are effected by the LED headlight shortage.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:24 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 1,002 Likes on 416 Posts

I opted for the standard bi-xenons. They illuminate the road just fine at night, and I never need to use them at all on track. They look just fine to me. I’m super happy with them.

But aesthetics are subjective. People want what they want, and that’s fine. It’s a bummer that there are shortages that keep people from getting the options they want. I would feel the same if I couldn’t have gotten LWBS for my order. But it wouldn’t be a dealbreaker for me since I would have added them after the fact.

For those that are concerned about output/wattage, there’s a DIY on another 718 forum that walks through a relatively simple process to up the base units from 25W to 35W without needing to change the housings, bulbs etc. It’s quite simple, and nothing like the nightmare of changing to PDLS+. Again, this isn’t going to help those that want the look, but it definitely helps those that are concerned about not having enough light output.

Last edited by KelvinC; 08-10-2022 at 02:41 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by KelvinC:
manifold danger (08-10-2022), Webfiero (08-10-2022), X2Board (08-15-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 07:40 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by nikuhina
Perhaps it's only a matter of time until I get the dreaded update... 😬 Time will tell! 🤞
I wouldn't get my hopes up... because I actually did, and I got them yanked yesterday. I think at this point it's safe to assume they are just not happening on the MY 23 vehicles.

Also, it was news to my SA at a small volume dealer, who thanked me for staying on top of it and expressed frustration that the ordering team didn't reach out to them. I don't think the dealer network is widely aware of this particular issue with PDLS+ and Bose.

If your build is locked I'd encourage you to go ahead and make the changes you're going to make, if any. I know you're not supposed to be able to because it's "frozen", but apparently it can be done. The sooner the better. Fortunately my SA still had time to make some changes and so far it hasn't even appeared to have affected my timeline. My car us being built 9/2 according to TYD.

Originally Posted by UncleDude
So “real enthusiasts” like 1990’s headlight technology? I’m learning more and more in this thread!
That's not what anyone said. I wouldn't disagree if you said something like "real enthusiasts are less concerned with things that don't affect the driving experience". I would have preferred the LED lights too, but I'll stop short of throwing a hissy fit about them.

Some folks probably aren't looking at a 718 because it doesn't have android auto. I'd equate this to PDLS+. For some, it's a big deal. Personally, it's not.

That said, I understand the frustration that it was there and then suddenly it's not anymore. I'm frustrated about it too, but I've already gotten over it.

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
I disagree with this statement. PDLS+ LED headlamps way out perform BiXenons functionally. If you disagree, you don't drive at night on B roads. I could care less about visual design it's about the performance of visually seeing ahead.
If that's your thing, I guess I'd understand the sentiment. For me, driving fast at night is just stupid. I don't think LED lights would help all that much over bi-xenons if a deer ran out in front of you at 90 mph at night. I won't argue the LEDs provide a better experience when driving at night. I would argue against the bi-xenons being insufficient, as long as you're driving normally or at least not like an idiot.

But that's not what I'm buying my car for so to each their own.

Last edited by manifold danger; 08-10-2022 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:52 AM
Bubba Wibs
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 120 Posts

I have a 4RS slated for Sept build,PTS, PCCB, Weissach,Mag wheels,etc. My dealer reached out to Porsche Canada yesterday and they said I will have the LED as my car is locked and it’s a MY23. I didn’t ask about the Bose as that doesn’t really matter to me. Time will tell.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:22 AM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 364 Posts

Don't get your hopes up. My car was locked as a September build, and PDLS+ was removed. Production start is 8/26 for my car.

Originally Posted by Bubba Wibs
I have a 4RS slated for Sept build,PTS, PCCB, Weissach,Mag wheels,etc. My dealer reached out to Porsche Canada yesterday and they said I will have the LED as my car is locked and it’s a MY23. I didn’t ask about the Bose as that doesn’t really matter to me. Time will tell.

Last edited by TXRubicon; 08-10-2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:23 AM
Axis
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Wibs
I hope you get your pdls+ lights but just a heads up my car was also locked and they still ended up taking the lights off my build. My 4rs also is pts, pccb etc with production scheduled for 8/26.

Quick Reply: PDLS+ Availability Discussion