Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDLS+ Availability Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2022, 11:50 AM
Toon902
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SD00
interesting. I see the reduced PP @ $2250 on configurator but it doesn’t show BOSE as stand alone option?
I agree it’s interesting. Others have reported BOSE as a standalone option (9VL) in this thread, but it also doesn’t show up in my Configurator (Canada), which is why I was surprised to see it in the Build Sheet that I just received. I was prepared to go Burmeister, but as I had already padded my option selection in order to get the allocation, adding almost $6K wasn’t thrilling to me.

If the availability changes prior to V260, I’ll update this post again!
Old 08-28-2022, 12:02 PM
SD00
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Toon902
I agree it’s interesting. Others have reported BOSE as a standalone option (9VL) in this thread, but it also doesn’t show up in my Configurator (Canada), which is why I was surprised to see it in the Build Sheet that I just received. I was prepared to go Burmeister, but as I had already padded my option selection in order to get the allocation, adding almost $6K wasn’t thrilling to me.

If the availability changes prior to V260, I’ll update this post again!
I’m waiting on an allocation and not real keen on upgrading to Burmeister. I’m hoping by the time I get allocation and build date the BOSE is back.
The following users liked this post:
Toon902 (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 01:45 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

I’m waiting on an allocation and not real keen on upgrading to Burmeister. I’m hoping by the time I get allocation and build date the BOSE is back.
I have a allocation that is supposed to be built next week. I saw this thread and checked my details. Porsche has knocked off PDLS+, BOSE and Race-tex visors for some reason.

I called my SA and he had BOSE and the visors put back on the order but PDLS+ is SOL.

G
Toon902 (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 04:24 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 889 Posts

Bose is quite terrible and in line with the Bose stuff that they used to put in Pontiac.

I would skip the Bose all together and get a aftermarket upgrade or Burmester if you don't like aftermarket.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:35 PM
justbob
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

I would go with the standard, comes with the car radio first. They truly are not that bad. Any radio shop can upgrade the speakers.
Old 08-28-2022, 04:36 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Bose is quite terrible and in line with the Bose stuff that they used to put in Pontiac.

I would skip the Bose all together and get a aftermarket upgrade or Burmester if you don't like aftermarket.
I also have a Spyder allocation locking in 14 days. I have done extensive research on the Bose v Burmester debate. Bottom line - go Burmester is music is important to you. Or, go after market. Don’t go Bose.

for me, I prefer factory install equipment so going with the Burmester.

beyond that when I spend this kind of money on a car that I keep forever (aka I don’t care about the resale value or depreciation), I say GO BIG OR GO GOME.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ken in San Diego:
Bearrun21 (08-28-2022), MaddMike (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 04:59 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
I also have a Spyder allocation locking in 14 days. I have done extensive research on the Bose v Burmester debate. Bottom line - go Burmester is music is important to you. Or, go after market. Don’t go Bose.

for me, I prefer factory install equipment so going with the Burmester.

beyond that when I spend this kind of money on a car that I keep forever (aka I don’t care about the resale value or depreciation), I say GO BIG OR GO GOME.
That I agree with, ordered Burm as well. I did not skimp on any option I wanted. MY22 BGTS4.0 $109.3k MSRP
Ken in San Diego (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 05:58 PM
sandy59
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

Standard Xenon lights look pretty decent to me ??

The following 3 users liked this post by sandy59:
brock256 (08-28-2022), Rasputin. (10-11-2022), Toon902 (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 06:44 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

I can't speak to how it was set up in a Pontiac, but the Bose system in these cars is FINE. Not great, not terrible. It's FINE.

The base system is just that- basic, it's for people who don't care about music at all and will likely lead to disappointment if you listen to much more than talk radio. The Burmester is good but expensive; it's the "money no object" selection in a car like this. The Bose occupies a fantastic spot for people who occasionally listen to music and don't have unreasonable expectations and/or continue to contribute to the anti-marketing echo chamber, for a reasonable upcharge (in the Porsche world). I've had it in 3 sports cars cars now and 2 Macans with the Bose system, and while I'm no true audiophile, I don't have a problem with it. I can rock out to whatever genre I feel like and it does an ok job of separating itself from the road noise enough for me to enjoy it. Speaking of which, there is just TOO DAMN MUCH road noise for me to justify the Burmester in this car, and I'm glad I didn't feel "forced to". It was a must-have in the Macan GTS I have ordered, but I'll pass on it in a 718 or even a 911.

Sound is subjective of course, but I think I've had a good enough sample size, and I'm not a fan of reactionary overstatements like things are "terrible".

For context, I've had a ton of stereos in other cars. The best I can say I've owned is the Meridian system that was in a 2013 Evoque I had; that was clearly much better than Bose. The worst is the base stereo in a 2015 WRX my brother had I rode in frequently. The Bose is WORLDS better than that.

I've had Harmon Kardons in BMWs and Subarus, Bang and Olufsen in multiple Audis, and even a pretty great sounding Fender system in my son's Golf. The Bose is maybe a notch below the Harmon Kardon systems (which are also good not great), but decent enough to get by without making you feel like you need to run out and upgrade, and that alone makes it worth the ~$900.

Last edited by manifold danger; 08-28-2022 at 06:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by manifold danger:
MEGY911 (08-28-2022), SD00 (08-29-2022), Toon902 (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 07:36 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,723 Likes on 2,113 Posts

^^^^ I agree, more than fine for the application.

For $130 you can pop in some burm tweeters in the dash for a huge upgrade
Bearrun21 (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 07:39 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,829 Likes on 889 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I can't speak to how it was set up in a Pontiac, but the Bose system in these cars is FINE. Not great, not terrible. It's FINE.

The base system is just that- basic, it's for people who don't care about music at all and will likely lead to disappointment if you listen to much more than talk radio. The Burmester is good but expensive; it's the "money no object" selection in a car like this. The Bose occupies a fantastic spot for people who occasionally listen to music and don't have unreasonable expectations and/or continue to contribute to the anti-marketing echo chamber, for a reasonable upcharge (in the Porsche world). I've had it in 3 sports cars cars now and 2 Macans with the Bose system, and while I'm no true audiophile, I don't have a problem with it. I can rock out to whatever genre I feel like and it does an ok job of separating itself from the road noise enough for me to enjoy it. Speaking of which, there is just TOO DAMN MUCH road noise for me to justify the Burmester in this car, and I'm glad I didn't feel "forced to". It was a must-have in the Macan GTS I have ordered, but I'll pass on it in a 718 or even a 911.

Sound is subjective of course, but I think I've had a good enough sample size, and I'm not a fan of reactionary overstatements like things are "terrible".

For context, I've had a ton of stereos in other cars. The best I can say I've owned is the Meridian system that was in a 2013 Evoque I had; that was clearly much better than Bose. The worst is the base stereo in a 2015 WRX my brother had I rode in frequently. The Bose is WORLDS better than that.

I've had Harmon Kardons in BMWs and Subarus, Bang and Olufsen in multiple Audis, and even a pretty great sounding Fender system in my son's Golf. The Bose is maybe a notch below the Harmon Kardon systems (which are also good not great), but decent enough to get by without making you feel like you need to run out and upgrade, and that alone makes it worth the ~$900.
To each their own. The Bose sound processor is an optical unit which makes it much harder to upgrade. I would rather do the base and spend the money on the Musicar upgrade.

This car is noisey which is all the more reason to have a good system. Long road trips I drive with noise filtering ear plugs that I use on the motorcycle. With the Burmester, it is clear and noise free The Bose was muddled mess at higher volumes needed to drown out the other noise. I have not tried the base system but it is easier to upgrade than the Bose.

Last edited by MaddMike; 08-28-2022 at 07:40 PM.
manifold danger (08-29-2022)
Old 08-29-2022, 07:02 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,140 Likes on 641 Posts

To each their own. The Bose sound processor is an optical unit which makes it much harder to upgrade. I would rather do the base and spend the money on the Musicar upgrade.

This car is noisey which is all the more reason to have a good system. Long road trips I drive with noise filtering ear plugs that I use on the motorcycle. With the Burmester, it is clear and noise free The Bose was muddled mess at higher volumes needed to drown out the other noise. I have not tried the base system but it is easier to upgrade than the Bose.
Easier to upgrade is definitely a reason to consider the base system, that is good information. If you do plan to upgrade then yes, definitely skip the Bose... but as TXShaggy said, there are options available to upgrade the Bose system as well.

For me, I don't take the car on long drives often enough to justify the Burmester or significant extra spend on upgrades, plus I plan on adding even more noise and that's where I choose to spend the money.

And yes I agree, to each their own. It's good to have options from the factory.
Old 08-29-2022, 12:41 PM
nixsky
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone got any photos of cars with PLDS lights? Is it easier to retrofit PDLS+ if you already have PDLS? (out of interest)
Old 08-29-2022, 12:55 PM
bravoraider
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by nixsky
Anyone got any photos of cars with PLDS lights? Is it easier to retrofit PDLS+ if you already have PDLS? (out of interest)
Search button, lots of info on this and step by step how to. It isn't cheap or easy.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:39 PM
nixsky
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bravoraider
Search button, lots of info on this and step by step how to. It isn't cheap or easy.
Thank you for the internet lesson.
manifold danger (08-29-2022)

Quick Reply: PDLS+ Availability Discussion