Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDLS+ Availability Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 06:30 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,500 Likes on 2,253 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken in San Diego
I covered this issue above, but if you want any chance to upgrade to the PDLS+ later, my SA said that we should order the PDLS now. Similar functions and likely can be swapped out in the future (without the auto-dimming feature working).
You should buy the PDLS+ headlights from that parted out spyder on e-bay. I bet the price of them will go up soon.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:42 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

I covered this issue above, but if you want any chance to upgrade to the PDLS+ later, my SA said that we should order the PDLS now. Similar functions and likely can be swapped out in the future (without the auto-dimming feature working).
yep, I saw that posted by you earlier in this thread. Thanks for sharing that information. I personally probably wouldn't put in the effort to upgrade, but it's good information for the community nonetheless.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:45 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 925 Likes on 369 Posts

Based on the DIY guide someone else has posted, it is NOT a plug-and-play retrofit. It looks extremely intrusive and complicated for the average person. I'd love to see someone show me otherwise because the PDLS and base lights are fundamentally the same kind of bi-xenon lights so there should be a similar path from base or PDLS to PDLS+. I don't see how PDLS makes it an easier path to PDLS+. I would prefer if statements such as this one below are substantiated with the procedure and parts needed before stating it as fact. No SA I've ever met is qualified to talk about the specific wiring and components of internal systems of the car I'm buying from them.

The "DIY" upgrade post - https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...-retrofit.html

Last edited by TXRubicon; 08-08-2022 at 06:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TXRubicon:
aclicky (08-08-2022), jmjacarn (08-08-2022), manifold danger (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 06:47 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRubicon
Based on the DIY guide someone else has posted, it is NOT a plug-and-play retrofit. It looks extremely intrusive and complicated. I'd love to see someone show me otherwise because the PDLS and base lights are fundamentally the same kind of bi-xenon lights so there should be a similar path from base or PDLS to PDLS+. I don't see how PDLS makes it an easier path to PDLS+. I would prefer if statements such as this one below are substantiated with the procedure and parts needed before stating it as fact. No SA I've ever met is qualified to talk about the specific wiring and components of internal systems of the car I'm buying from them.
That upgrade you are referring to is from the base headlights (not the PDLS). My SA currently believe the upgrade from PDLS to PDLS+ (LEDs) would be much easier.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:49 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

I read that the first time. Some people believe in ghosts too. What I’m asking you to do is to substantiate your/his claim before repeating it as fact.

That upgrade you are referring to is from the base headlights (not the PDLS). My SA currently believe the upgrade from PDLS to PDLS+ (LEDs) would be much easier.
The following 2 users liked this post by TXRubicon:
jmjacarn (08-08-2022), manifold danger (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 06:50 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Based on the DIY guide someone else has posted, it is NOT a plug-and-play retrofit. It looks extremely intrusive and complicated for the average person. I'd love to see someone show me otherwise because the PDLS and base lights are fundamentally the same kind of bi-xenon lights so there should be a similar path from base or PDLS to PDLS+. I don't see how PDLS makes it an easier path to PDLS+. I would prefer if statements such as this one below are substantiated with the procedure and parts needed before stating it as fact. No SA I've ever met is qualified to talk about the specific wiring and components of internal systems of the car I'm buying from them.

The "DIY" upgrade post - https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...-retrofit.html
The base headlights do not have the PSLS functions as follows:

Bi-Xenon™ Headlights in Black with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)

Includes:
  • Bi-Xenon™ Headlights in Black - Bi-Xenon™ headlights with automatic headlight leveling.
  • Dynamic Cornering Light - Dynamic cornering lights swivel the low beam in accordance with cornering characteristics, depending on the steering angle.
  • Speed-Dependent Headlight Range Control - Speed-dependent headlight range control increases light distribution after 3,300 feet at 68 mph or higher, or immediately after 81 mph and above provided the steering wheel is not turned sharply.
  • Headlight Cleaning System - Washer system used to clean the headlight housing in order to effectively maintain optimal lighting while vehicle is in use.

This is the reason that the upgrade from the base lights are so difficult to PDLS+

Old 08-08-2022, 06:51 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Again, this doesn’t say anything about the process and parts needed to do it. Show me how PDLS
makes the process different from the guide above.

The base headlights do not have the PSLS functions as follows:

Includes:
  • Bi-Xenon™ Headlights in Black - Bi-Xenon™ headlights with automatic headlight leveling.
  • Dynamic Cornering Light - Dynamic cornering lights swivel the low beam in accordance with cornering characteristics, depending on the steering angle.
  • Speed-Dependent Headlight Range Control - Speed-dependent headlight range control increases light distribution after 3,300 feet at 68 mph or higher, or immediately after 81 mph and above provided the steering wheel is not turned sharply.
  • Headlight Cleaning System - Washer system used to clean the headlight housing in order to effectively maintain optimal lighting while vehicle is in use.

This is the reason that the upgrade from the base lights are so difficult to PDLS+
Old 08-08-2022, 06:56 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by aclicky
was your lock date shown through TYD (and shown a retro active date)?
Lock date was initially July 10, then it went to 28. When I checked around the 25, it had changed to the 20. Production starts 9/2. I wasn't worried bc I had no changes in mind until this. At least a message to let one know about it.
The delivery fluctuated back and forth between 9/23 and 10/27, not at 10/07.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:04 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Again, this doesn’t say anything about the process and parts needed to do it. Show me how PDLS
makes the process different from the guide above.
I don't know how to make it more clear, but I will try again. 1) My SA "believes" the PDLS lights are the best to start with since many of the features are the same as the PDLS+. 2) therefore, the wiring and changes will likely be less than if you started from the base lights. I also have mentioned many times above, this is simply initial feedback from my SA, and I am waiting on further clarification.

Personally, I like the PDLS lights better than the standard lights, so I will upgrade to PDLS anyway.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:07 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Why 4rs doesnt have the pdls option?! C’mooon porsche. I got 38 days until lock. Make it happen.
If not, im planning to tint the headlights a bit yellow and idgaf if they delaminate because it will hide the chrome catfish eye nipples. Silver lining is less tech and less weight. RS
Old 08-08-2022, 07:11 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
Why 4rs doesnt have the pdls option?! C’mooon porsche. I got 38 days until lock. Make it happen.
If not, im planning to tint the headlights a bit yellow and idgaf if they delaminate because it will hide the chrome catfish eye nipples. Silver lining is less tech and less weight. RS
Yeah, that is CRAZY the RS does not have the PDLS option.... It seems like in "porsche world", the better the car, the less the options.
The following users liked this post:
Rennolazine (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 07:14 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

I don't know how to make it more clear, but I will try again. 1) My SA "believes" the PDLS lights are the best to start with since many of the features are the same as the PDLS+. 2) therefore, the wiring and changes will likely be less than if you started from the base lights. I also have mentioned many times above, this is simply initial feedback from my SA, and I am waiting on further clarification.

Personally, I like the PDLS lights better than the standard lights, so I will upgrade to PDLS anyway.
All you clarified was exactly the point TXRubicon was making. The claim is completely unsubstantiated.

Now, upgrading to PDLS because you like it more, that's a good enough reason. But suggesting it's "easier to retrofit", the first thing anyone remotely technically inclined is going to ask is "why?". And right now, you and everyone else is waiting on further clarification.

Make sense?
jmjacarn (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 07:15 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Yeah, that is CRAZY the RS does not have the PDLS option.... It seems like in "porsche world", the better the car, the less the options.
theyre trying to upsell stuff they dont have. Big L
lots of people are gonna burn the title to this car. Not cool
*crap, ap gonna delay my **** 🤣

Last edited by Rennolazine; 08-08-2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:50 PM
Axis
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
All you clarified was exactly the point TXRubicon was making. The claim is completely unsubstantiated.

Now, upgrading to PDLS because you like it more, that's a good enough reason. But suggesting it's "easier to retrofit", the first thing anyone remotely technically inclined is going to ask is "why?". And right now, you and everyone else is waiting on further clarification.

Make sense?
This claim is from the pdls+ conversion thread. The guy that converted his base car to pdls+ made the comment that the pdls(regular) cars already have the aiming/leveling module and wiring in place so it should be easier than having to install the module and make a conversion harness.
The following 2 users liked this post by Axis:
Ken in San Diego (08-08-2022), manifold danger (08-09-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 09:59 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,079 Likes on 2,331 Posts

It's just headlights guys, relax and drive the cars.
Toon902 (08-09-2022)

Quick Reply: PDLS+ Availability Discussion