Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

PDLS+ Availability Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 12:11 PM
aclicky
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

TYD is currently blank for me now
Old 08-05-2022, 12:42 PM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by aclicky
TYD is currently blank for me now
Me too and others on the 992 section
Old 08-05-2022, 12:53 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 364 Posts

For those of you with original 2022 orders bumped to 2023s with PDLS+ as an option like me - I confirmed with my SA today, who confirmed with PCNA, that the sales price will reflect whatever the original 2022 pricing is less the cost of PDLS+. That's how it should be but with price protection rules, you never know.
Old 08-05-2022, 02:56 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,249 Likes on 700 Posts

Thanks for all the pics of the different light configurations. I specced base lights for my GT4 but was considering to go for PDLS but with some of the closeups it seems there's enough black in the headlight housing for me to stick with base.

I'm curious though if this will affect re-sale on the 2023. Maybe in the future, specifically the 2023 will see a lower used price because there won't be a single one with PDLS+. Maybe not? But also combined with no Bose (which means all 2023 are stuck with Base speakers for GT4) I really wonder what the long term affects will be.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:18 PM
Ken in San Diego
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Thanks for all the pics of the different light configurations. I specced base lights for my GT4 but was considering to go for PDLS but with some of the closeups it seems there's enough black in the headlight housing for me to stick with base.

I'm curious though if this will affect re-sale on the 2023. Maybe in the future, specifically the 2023 will see a lower used price because there won't be a single one with PDLS+. Maybe not? But also combined with no Bose (which means all 2023 are stuck with Base speakers for GT4) I really wonder what the long term affects will be.
I have done some research, and there isn't a "plug-and-play" solution to upgrade in the future to PDLS+. With that said, there are some links about from someone wiring from the base lights to PDLS+. It's a LOT OF WORK, but apparently it can be done. So, if the value is really affected so much, I think folks moving forward will be posting on ways to upgrade to PDLS+ after market. I also have reached out to a local deal to see if they have any ideas on how to do this.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:43 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 317 Likes on 178 Posts

The Xenon PDLS definitely looks better - not sure about the actual performance, but looks-wise, this might be ok for those who can't get the LED.

As ​​​@UncleDude correctly pointed out, the base lights are circa-2005 GTI, and seriously look ridiculous on a $100K car.
Old 08-05-2022, 03:57 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 364 Posts

Highly doubt it has any affect on resale. The large majority of 718s I see, 4.0s included, are PDLS not PDLS+. It’s a nice to have but even when I wash shopping for my last 718 the only thing I cared about was the car having PDLS, not PDLs+. It’s a nice to have but definitely not going to change the value of the cars. Cars with base headlights are priced largely the same as cars with PDLS or PDLS+ In the last 3 years I’ve tracked the market.

Originally Posted by Xxyion

Old 08-05-2022, 04:05 PM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Found this interesting. Specially from the 17min mark on.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:13 PM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

Heard back from my SA, I remain cautiously optimistic.

"Sorry I have been a little slow to response. It Has a couple of busy days for me. Good news, your car just made the cut so it is not affected by these changes so you will get both the headlights and the Bose Audio System!"
Old 08-05-2022, 05:18 PM
rusmani
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesrg

"Sorry I have been a little slow to response. It Has a couple of busy days for me. Good news, your car just made the cut so it is not affected by these changes so you will get both the headlights and the Bose Audio System!"
congrars man, that's awesome! Glad that worked out for you!

thanks again for taking the time to take/post pics of base/PDLS/PDLS+ pics. That was a huge help for a lot of us in this (first world) conundrum!
The following users liked this post:
jamesrg (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 05:35 PM
jamesrg
Rennlist Member

No problemo, and until it gets fully built I am not out of the woods just yet. He could be looking at the current status in the system and it still shows PDLS+ and Porsche just hasn't gotten around to updating mine yet. We will see. Fingers crossed!
Old 08-05-2022, 06:13 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by dmboone25
The Xenon PDLS definitely looks better - not sure about the actual performance, but looks-wise, this might be ok for those who can't get the LED.

As ​​​@UncleDude correctly pointed out, the base lights are circa-2005 GTI, and seriously look ridiculous on a $100K car.
PDLS are 35W vs base 25W. The bulbs & ballasts can be easily and inexpensively upgraded.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
bcct63
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Folks - New user here. I have a 2023 Boxster base on order that’s due at the end of October (received allocation in early May). I’m a bit confused. I ordered the premium package and TYD still shows PDLS+ and Bose. When I look at the standard features on the car, it shows “Bi-Xenon™ Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) with integrated 4-point LED daytime running lights.” So if the PDLS+ s not available, the car will come with the Bi-Xenon with PDLS? I see others on here talking about the “standard lights” that seem different (I’ve looked at the configurator for the Spider and GTS and it seems to be the same). Any help would be appreciated!
brock256 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 10:14 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,620 Likes on 2,062 Posts

Originally Posted by bcct63
Hello Folks - New user here. I have a 2023 Boxster base on order that’s due at the end of October (received allocation in early May). I’m a bit confused. I ordered the premium package and TYD still shows PDLS+ and Bose. When I look at the standard features on the car, it shows “Bi-Xenon™ Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) with integrated 4-point LED daytime running lights.” So if the PDLS+ s not available, the car will come with the Bi-Xenon with PDLS? I see others on here talking about the “standard lights” that seem different (I’ve looked at the configurator for the Spider and GTS and it seems to be the same). Any help would be appreciated!
718 GT cars get Bi-Xenon as standard.

718 GTS gets PDLS as standard.

There is a difference between the two.
boss2k (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 11:17 PM
DreiPedals
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesrg

Can you advise what your TYD dates are / or were if they're now screwy. Mine was supposed to be 'at the dealership' on the east coast initially on Sept. 16, that moved a couple weeks back to Sept 23, then last week to Oct. 7th. I've got PDLS+ and Bose in the spec, and haven't heard from my dealer at all since this news started to break.

Unless, that is, you've got one of the very last MY2022's rolling out and that's how you made the cut; and your car is likely finished production in that case by now.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: PDLS+ Availability Discussion