Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 11:59 AM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Just completed the AIO based update on my '18 718S that didn't have NAV. FWIW, my car had the GPS antenna already installed. Here is the build sheet - I suspect the GPS antenna was from Porsche Connect but can't be sure. Now getting ready to update maps and have ordered the LVDS cable. Super effort from everyone involved!

Congrats. I see that you have IU2 Porsche Connect in your build sheet. Was the Porsche Connect account activated? Do you have a white sticker with the IMEI by the driver door Jam? I am not sure if this came standard for MY 2018
Old 08-05-2022, 12:09 PM
arne
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 718socal
Congrats. I see that you have IU2 Porsche Connect in your build sheet. Was the Porsche Connect account activated? Do you have a white sticker with the IMEI by the driver door Jam? I am not sure if this came standard for MY 2018
My 2018 Cayman also was ordered with Porsche Connect, which was never activated. Apple CarPlay was also active, even though not shown separately on the option list or window sticker. When I activated Nav (using the early M.I.B. process) I found hat it had a GPS antenna from the factory as well. I'm pretty sure the antenna was part of Porsche Connect.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:25 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arne
My 2018 Cayman also was ordered with Porsche Connect, which was never activated. Apple CarPlay was also active, even though not shown separately on the option list or window sticker. When I activated Nav (using the early M.I.B. process) I found hat it had a GPS antenna from the factory as well. I'm pretty sure the antenna was part of Porsche Connect.

Very interesting. In PIWIS, I had to add the Connect Packet IU5 to have the Porsche Connect icon to show up

​​​​​​

Last edited by 718socal; 08-05-2022 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:31 PM
arne
Instructor

Very interesting. In PIWIS, I had to add the Connect Packet IU5 to have the Porsche Connect icon to show up.
Allow me to clarify. My car was built with Porsche Connect from the factory. But no PC icon is shown on the Home Screen. Since I've never subscribed to the service, I didn't know an icon should/could be there. Don't care, anyway, since I will never use it. In fact, it would probably bug me if it WAS displayed as I hate buttons/icons that do nothing. Making the NAV and MAP buttons work was my primary reason to do this hack in the first place.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:49 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Allow me to clarify. My car was built with Porsche Connect from the factory. But no PC icon is shown on the Home Screen. Since I've never subscribed to the service, I didn't know an icon should/could be there. Don't care, anyway, since I will never use it. In fact, it would probably bug me if it WAS displayed as I hate buttons/icons that do nothing. Making the NAV and MAP buttons work was my primary reason to do this hack in the first place.
I see. The PC icon is a non issue. I am trying to understand how and when the GPS antenna comes pre-installed. Is it with the CP or PC option from the build sheet?
Old 08-05-2022, 02:12 PM
arne
Instructor

I see. The PC icon is a non issue. I am trying to understand how and when the GPS antenna comes pre-installed. Is it with the CP or PC option from the build sheet?
That would be good to know, I agree. In my case, the car has PC listed on both the build list (VINAnalytics) and on the window sticker. CP is not listed on either, but was definitely original as it has just the single USB in the console and no AUX port. I've assumed that CP was bundled with PC for 2018. It seems logical to me that the GPS antenna would be part of PC as some of the PC functions need to know the car's location.
Old 08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 195 Posts

Question; - Now that I have successfully used the AIO method to activate NAV I noticed that my cars's wlan is also working (I don't think it was before), however when I try to connect my iPhone it asks for password. I do not see how to configure the car's wlan password. I'm trying to integrate Sport Chrono with the Porsche Track Precision App if possible. Any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2022, 05:54 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
Question; - Now that I have successfully used the AIO method to activate NAV I noticed that my cars's wlan is also working (I don't think it was before), however when I try to connect my iPhone it asks for password. I do not see how to configure the car's wlan password. I'm trying to integrate Sport Chrono with the Porsche Track Precision App if possible. Any suggestions?
Press on the Phone button then the Option button. Then Click on Set Phone => Wi-Fi Settings. You should see those screens.

Old 08-05-2022, 06:31 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

That would be good to know, I agree. In my case, the car has PC listed on both the build list (VINAnalytics) and on the window sticker. CP is not listed on either, but was definitely original as it has just the single USB in the console and no AUX port. I've assumed that CP was bundled with PC for 2018. It seems logical to me that the GPS antenna would be part of PC as some of the PC functions need to know the car's location.
My car was ordered with CP only. I had the GPS antenna installed.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:29 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 195 Posts

Press on the Phone button then the Option button. Then Click on Set Phone => Wi-Fi Settings. You should see those screens.

718socal, Once again thank you! . Don't know why I couldn't figure that out! My iPhone is now connected to the car's wlan and we have the Porsche Track Precision App working. We'll be heading to Toronto Motorsport Park tomorrow where I hope to be able to learn more about the App. Do our cars have wlan enabled from the factory or was it enabled with the AIO patch?
Old 08-05-2022, 09:03 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Z06jerry
718socal, Once again thank you! . Don't know why I couldn't figure that out! My iPhone is now connected to the car's wlan and we have the Porsche Track Precision App working. We'll be heading to Toronto Motorsport Park tomorrow where I hope to be able to learn more about the App. Do our cars have wlan enabled from the factory or was it enabled with the AIO patch?
No you have to enable WLAN with MIB AIO unless you have Porsche Connect from the factory. Have fun tomorrow and take a lot of pics 👍
Old 08-14-2022, 05:14 PM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

Hoping to get some help here. I got MIB installed and everything activated; it looks like this car has the 2019/2020 maps database:

However when I go to update maps, when I select “Standard,” instead of the bottom 5 fields being pre-populated as they are in @718socal’s post (with "Y" in all slots), they’re presented as question marks:

Note also that all the buttons on the bottom (“All”, “None”, “Start update”) are all greyed out, so there’s no option to just, say, select all and run it. I’m 99% confident I set up the maps card correctly, but I could be wrong. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated here 🙏🏼

Last edited by burnergt4; 08-14-2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:29 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by burnergt4
Hoping to get some help here. I got MIB installed and everything activated; it looks like this car has the 2019/2020 maps database:

However when I go to update maps, when I select “Standard,” instead of the bottom 5 fields being pre-populated as they are in @718socal’s post (with "Y" in all slots), they’re presented as question marks:

Note also that all the buttons on the bottom (“All”, “None”, “Start update”) are all greyed out, so there’s no option to just, say, select all and run it. I’m 99% confident I set up the maps card correctly, but I could be wrong. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated here 🙏🏼
Make sure that you format the card to FAT32. Try to extract the Map files again or try another SD card.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:13 AM
arne
Instructor

Originally Posted by burnergt4

@burnergt4 - I had a problem that was at least similar, if not the same. Documented on 718forum.com. I had to go back into GEM and enable User Defined SWDL. Details here - https://www.718forum.com/threads/and...62/post-283546

Last edited by arne; 08-15-2022 at 02:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
burnergt4 (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 11:29 AM
burnergt4
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 224 Posts

@burnergt4 - I had a problem that was at least similar, if not the same. Documented on 718forum.com. I had to go back into GEM and enable User Defined SWDL. Details here - https://www.718forum.com/threads/and...62/post-283546
Thanks, arne—I came across that thread after I posted here. Will give it a try and report back 👍🏼

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation Retrofit DIY