Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cobb Tuning Accessport for 718 (982) 4.0L NA Engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 03:57 PM
FreshDriver
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
They list the percentage gained on their maps note page.

Seems like you could do some math and get close.

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...ges/2718007297
Doing the math is 473HP@Crank
Old 10-27-2022, 04:15 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
Yes I understand that but trying to understand how that compares to Porsche’s advertised 394hp/309tq figure.
Originally Posted by FreshDriver
I think it may be more than 460HP@crank
Originally Posted by FreshDriver
Doing the math is 473HP@Crank
There is no official agreed upon drivetrain loss %, just rough estimates, because it will vary from drivetrain layout to drivetrain layout and even dyno to dyno. The closest reasonable option will be to use our baseline whp percentage loss from the stock advertised crank hp and then apply that to the Stg 1 whp number. Our car baselined at 342hp so that would give us roughly a 13% drivetrain loss. Reverse the process and it comes out to roughly 462hpish at the crank or roughly 68 crank hp peak gain.

Thanks!

~Jared

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

The following users liked this post:
FreshDriver (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 05:00 PM
FreshDriver
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
There is no official agreed upon drivetrain loss %, just rough estimates, because it will vary from drivetrain layout to drivetrain layout and even dyno to dyno. The closest reasonable option will be to use our baseline whp percentage loss from the stock advertised crank hp and then apply that to the Stg 1 whp number. Our car baselined at 342hp so that would give us roughly a 13% drivetrain loss. Reverse the process and it comes out to roughly 462hpish at the crank or roughly 68 crank hp peak gain.

Thanks!

~Jared
Still ....462 is great!!
Old 10-27-2022, 05:40 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

FWIW, they are having a sale through October 31, 10% off, no code or coupon necessary.
Old 10-27-2022, 05:49 PM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

Jared,

I'm in a similar boat to Avera, running some manifolds, with hfc and an aftermarket exhaust. I'm a bit more compliant now that I have cats vs before, but what steps and timeline would be needed to do a protune? The last time I did something similar I had the My Genius tool and had to gather data and send that off. Do you guys do something similar and send it back within a couple days? Also, does that affect the pricing at all of the 1550/1395 pricing?

Thanks much!
Avera (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 06:15 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 541 Posts

@COBB Tuning Just to confirm with the Cobb tune:
- Factory flash counter isn't restored upon Cobb flash uninstall? Flash will leave a trace on the car.
- Rev limit can't be raised?
- OTS maps can't be modified by a tuner to set exhaust valves open or disable stop/start?
Old 10-27-2022, 06:16 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
Jared,

I'm in a similar boat to Avera, running some manifolds, with hfc and an aftermarket exhaust. I'm a bit more compliant now that I have cats vs before, but what steps and timeline would be needed to do a protune? The last time I did something similar I had the My Genius tool and had to gather data and send that off. Do you guys do something similar and send it back within a couple days? Also, does that affect the pricing at all of the 1550/1395 pricing?

Thanks much!
It will be a very similar process as you described via any of our authorized Protuners. We don't offer custom tuning/Protuner services directly but instead provide our tuning software to those authorized Protuners so they can assist their clients directly. You'll need the Accessport first and if you're local to your Protuner, most will be able to provide onsite/ondyno custom calibration creation. If you're not local to your preferred Protuner then most offer a "remote tuning" solution much like you described above. Install the Accessport (AP) with either the provided Stage 1 Off The Shelf (OTS )map or a base map provided by your Protuner, go do some driving as requested by your Protuner, activate logging on the AP (a simple button push), come back and connect your AP to our free interface software, AP Manager (think iTunes for your AP), transfer the log (it's a standard excel file), email it to your Protuner. Once they have the log and review it, they'll make some changes to your map, email an updated map back to you, transfer the new map to the AP via AP Manager, go out to your car, flash the new map, and start the driving/logging process over again. Depending on the car/modifications it could be as easy as a single revision or two, or several iterations/fuels, it all depends on what you work out with your Protuner.

As for the pricing side of things, we are very strict with our product pricing throughout our dealer network so generally speaking you should get the same price on an AP whether you're buying directly from us, or from any authorized COBB dealer. We are currently running our 10% off sale and our dealers are authorized to match that pricing as well as long as the sale is in effect. However, one option a lot of our Protuners exercise is their ability to bundle a new Accessport with their custom tuning at a discounted package price compared to buying the Accessport separately, and then the Protuning services separately later. For your situation, this combined option sounds like the perfect opportunity to reach out to someone such as @BGB Motorsports to see what kind of package pricing they can offer you for an AP and a customized map specific to your car, since your car is already modified beyond what our Stage 1 OTS maps are optimized for.

Thanks!

~Jared
Avera (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 06:49 PM
driftdoctor
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts

Can California buyers take advantage of the promotion and later be issued an EO sticker, etc. once approval has been granted? Or will the CARB option have separate pricing when released?
Old 10-27-2022, 06:55 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
FWIW, they are having a sale through October 31, 10% off, no code or coupon necessary.
I was also able to stack military discount on top of that.
Old 10-27-2022, 06:57 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
@COBB Tuning Just to confirm with the Cobb tune:
- Factory flash counter isn't restored upon Cobb flash uninstall? Flash will leave a trace on the car.
- Rev limit can't be raised?
- OTS maps can't be modified by a tuner to set exhaust valves open or disable stop/start?
- Factory flash counter isn't restored upon Cobb flash uninstall? Flash will leave a trace on the car. - Yes and no. "Leave a trace" on the car is not the way I would word it at all because it implies significantly more than what is actually going on. When an Accessport is uninstalled properly from a vehicle the ECU is reverted back to it's 100% stock/native programming and none of our code is left as a "trace" However, we do not alter the functionality of the factory flash counter as we are not in the business of committing, or attempting to hide, any form of warranty fraud. The factory flash counter will increment up with an install/uninstall cycle of an Accessport but will not increment with a simple map change. Additionally, the ECU "flash counter" is not some evil flashing red pop up screen that appears on a PIWIS the second it's plugged in. It's actually a sub menu, of a sub menu, of a sub menu (IIRC from the last time I went digging via our factory PIWISIII, I could be off a submenu) and isn't something your average Porsche tech will be digging around to look for without a reason. With that said, just as we don't make alterations to the flash counter to avoid warranty fraud, we also don't make any other warranty friendly/warranty voiding avoidance claims either. If warranty concerns are paramount to you we always strongly suggest contacting the entity that sold you the warranty, and will provide the service for you should you need it, which in this case is your local Porsche dealership. We suggest doing this PRIOR to installing any Accessport for any application and speaking with your Service advisor or Service Manager. Specific to our Porsche products we've experienced zero direct issues with warranty coverage over ~10 years in this particular market and many Porsche dealerships sell and install Accessports through their own parts and service departments. However, dealership policies will vary from store to store and some are certainly more modification friendly than others. We've found the dealers that are more active in the community, via either motorsports, PCA participation, etc tend to be more accepting of any and all aftermarket modifications, including ECU tuning.

- Rev limit can't be raised? - Rev limit can be raised and was raised on the GTS application OTS maps to match the 8k RPM factory limit of the GT4/Spyder. Additional increases are only available through custom tuning via a Protuner. In the below screen shot the bolded table names to the left signify every table that has changed from a stock value and on the right, the view is set to show the difference in change to that particular table. In this case, a positive number of 200 in red means the value was raised...you guessed it...+200 from stock aka 7800RPM to 8000RPM

(bonus feature for those nerds that want to see what our tuning software looks like and the other ~20 RPM limit tables that have to be raised)

- OTS maps can't be modified by a tuner to set exhaust valves open or disable stop/start? - Yes/soon and No/never. We're in the process of updating the Protuner software to allow for exhaust flap control via custom tuning by a Protuner. These updates will be available to our Protuners within approximately the next few weeks. As for Auto/Start stop; though technically a somewhat gray area of emissions compliance we have made the decision NOT to alter the behavior of the auto start stop system from factory settings to avoid any potential repercussions from certain three letter government entities.

Thanks!

~Jared
RoadrunnerGTS (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 07:09 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by driftdoctor
Can California buyers take advantage of the promotion and later be issued an EO sticker, etc. once approval has been granted? Or will the CARB option have separate pricing when released?
Though we cannot ship this particular Accessport part number to California yet, we'll be happy to honor the current discounted pricing for you once the official EO has been issued from CARB. There will be no additional CARB option cost and you'll receive the identical Accessport with the identical maps as every other customer/state once the EO is issued. Sadly, we can't provide a solid timeline for when the paperwork will arrive from CARB, because the wheels of bureaucracy turn at unknown rates but regardless of time frame, we'll take care of you on price matching. Just shoot us a PM or send an email to support@cobbtuning.com and we'll get you squared away with a discount code (no someone reading this in five years from CA you can't send me a PM and get the discount code- I see you!).

Thanks!

~Jared
Old 10-27-2022, 08:09 PM
planolemans
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Question to Cobb: Why do your gt4 dyno graphs on your site end at 7500 rpm? What happens in those last 500 rpm? Did you stopped the pulls at 7500?
Old 10-27-2022, 08:20 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by planolemans
Question to Cobb: Why do your gt4 dyno graphs on your site end at 7500 rpm? What happens in those last 500 rpm? Did you stopped the pulls at 7500?
Read post #85

Peter
Old 10-27-2022, 08:21 PM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by planolemans
See Post #85 above.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:49 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpha Ice
Jared,

Thanks much!
@Alpha Ice

I am not in the market for a tune, but do enjoy the topic and learning what is available on the market. The Dundon components gave me more than I need for spirited roadway driving. . . if I tracked I am sure I would chase whatever I could get

What I am intrigued about is the PDK tune. I am currently in PDK manual mode 99%-plus of the time, and curious if the PDK tune would allow me to enjoy automatic mode?

I just moved out of a G80C and never thought I would use ZF8 automatic mode, as I have always stuck with PDK/DCT manual mode in prior vehicles. However BMW did such an amazing job with the Sport and Sport Plus tunes - very aggressive shift points and downshifts - that I actually found automatic mode quite enjoyable.

I do not find stock GT4 automatic mode aggressive enough, even in PDK/Sport mode. Curious to hear what others have to say about COBB PDK tune?

Avera

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning Accessport for 718 (982) 4.0L NA Engines