Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cobb Tuning Accessport for 718 (982) 4.0L NA Engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 04:42 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyNSX
I have a GT4 with PDK but don't see much value in the updates to the shift schedule. Can I use the non PDK version of the Accessport (PN: AP3-POR-015)?
Yes. You can always buy the ECU only Accessport for any vehicle we support regardless of the vehicles transmission. If you then decide to add on the PDK tuning at a later date, you can do that as well. Just contact our customer service team, pay the PDK upgrade fee, and then you'll be sent an upgrade key to apply to your Accessport via AP Manager. Best news is there isn't any penalty for waiting to purchase the PDK tuning; the final costs are identical whether you include PDK tuning up front with your AP purchase or you wait and upgrade later.

Thanks!

~Jared

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

The following 2 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
BabyNSX (11-03-2022), DerekHK (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 04:56 PM
4S Leistung
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 42 Posts

Installed today on my 22 GT4 manual. Only having experience with tunes on Turbo cars, I didn’t really know what to expect on a NA car. I can say i definitely feel the power bump. I have BMC filters and OAP’s and the sound is more pronounced as well. For me as someone who likes to squeeze every little drop out of a car, a worthwhile investment.
The following 5 users liked this post by 4S Leistung:
BabyNSX (11-03-2022), c1pher (11-03-2022), Clark_Kent (11-03-2022), COBB Tuning (11-03-2022), DFW01TT (11-04-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 05:23 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 4S Leistung
Installed today on my 22 GT4 manual. Only having experience with tunes on Turbo cars, I didn’t really know what to expect on a NA car. I can say i definitely feel the power bump. I have BMC filters and OAP’s and the sound is more pronounced as well. For me as someone who likes to squeeze every little drop out of a car, a worthwhile investment.
Cant wait to get home and install mine in a few weeks.
The following users liked this post:
Clark_Kent (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 09:01 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

I'd really like to get this for my GTS, the warranty issue is the only thing stopping me. The fact that since I use 93 octane fuel it would deliver more power and torque plus be a bit more efficient is a big part of why I want it, but having already endured one engine replacement (under warranty), I'm a little gunshy and certainly don't want to pay for engine-related repairs myself.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:27 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
I'd really like to get this for my GTS, the warranty issue is the only thing stopping me. The fact that since I use 93 octane fuel it would deliver more power and torque plus be a bit more efficient is a big part of why I want it, but having already endured one engine replacement (under warranty), I'm a little gunshy and certainly don't want to pay for engine-related repairs myself.
@Bill Mitchell

Your concerns are valid

I bought a home in a '100-year flood plane' that hadn't flooded in over a hundred years . . . then it flooded twice in two years

I was having my exhaust replaced today at my local shop and was talking to a GT3 owner who loaded a PDK tune and it 'bricked' his PDK within 20 miles. Talk about pissed off . . . seemingly most pissed off at himself.

Now, I am not by ANY means knocking COBB. COBB themselves clearly state that if you have any reservations, then do not apply their tunes.

How often does a home in a 100-year flood plane get flooded? How many GT3s with a PDK tune brick their PDK? It is all unicorns and rainbows until it happens to you . . . and it does happen

Avera

EDIT: People are always concerned about whether Porsche can detect a tune during routine maintenance. Porsche does not give a sh*t about whether your car is tuned during routine maintenance with a properly functioning car. However, you can bet your last pay check that once you show up with a blown engine or PDK, the first thing they will look for is any evidence of a third-party tune . . . and they will most certainly find the fingerprints when they look.

Last edited by Avera; 11-03-2022 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:27 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 531 Likes on 317 Posts

I can't say that people's concerns aren't valid, I can only give my own experience. I had a 981 BS with a Cobb tune, it really screamed, gained probably 3+ seconds on track at COTA. I traded it on my Spyder and uninstalled the Cobb tune. The dealer certified my 981 BS and the new owner was thrilled to get it. Did they see that I uninstalled a tune? If so, should they have certified the car?

I'm installing the new Cobb tune this weekend on my Spyder and I've got a track day next week. Count me as a fan of Cobb tuning.
Avera (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 06:52 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
I can't say that people's concerns aren't valid, I can only give my own experience. I had a 981 BS with a Cobb tune, it really screamed, gained probably 3+ seconds on track at COTA. I traded it on my Spyder and uninstalled the Cobb tune. The dealer certified my 981 BS and the new owner was thrilled to get it. Did they see that I uninstalled a tune? If so, should they have certified the car?

I'm installing the new Cobb tune this weekend on my Spyder and I've got a track day next week. Count me as a fan of Cobb tuning.
@DFW01TT

I myself have applied a COBB tune to a prior (turbo) Porsche . . . I was willing to spin the wheel, so to speak

If most did not have a favorable tuning experience, COBB and the like would not be in business

As to whether the dealer saw you had tuned your 981 . . . you and fall on different sides of the fence with that one. In good conscious, I could not sell a car and not be forthright about having made the tune modification.

Avera
Old 11-04-2022, 10:28 AM
planolemans
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Thank you for your response. I just noticed that you may not have experienced the long second gear that a manual gt4 has. If I shift at 7500 rpm, theoretically you want to shift at peak power, from first to second, I land at 4400 rpm. Given the peak torque was shifted with the tune to 5500 rpm, my concern was that I would not have good torque at 4400 rpm, hence drivability. This is more important to me then peak gains: that is only good for bragging rights😁.

But you make an excellent point about the flatness of the torque curve. Even though peak torque is 314 ftlb at 5500 rpm with the tune, you have 300 ftlb already at 4500 rpm (so at 4400, I guess around 295, which is only 19 from 314 ftlb). So I think your response is quit good. Thanks for pointing to interactive curve, which made analysis easier.

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
I'm not sure I'm fully understanding your logic or question but regardless the drivability is excellent in my subjective opinion. Then again, the 718 4.0 motor has excellent driveability stock, it's pretty close to text book power delivery from an NA motor to ramp up TQ relatively early and then try and create a plateau of that torque for as long as possible. All while ramping your HP up smoothly across the entire RPM range until redline with peak power occurring just before redline. If you play around with our interactive dyno charts in the map notes here:

718 Spyder & Cayman GT4 4.0L COBB Map Notes

You'll see we're making 300ft-lbs of tq as early as 4500RPM compared to the stock tune that never even hits that mark throughout the pull. We maintain above 300ft-lbs all the way to 6800 RPM so that's a huge swath of the range to aid in drivability. Regardless of whatever RPM chunk you're comparing though we've made torque gains throughout the entire rev range which means regardless of where you're shifting you're going to still have more TQ in the next gear compared to stock.

Here's our chart actually outlining the gains:

Peaks gains are referencing the delta % change where the factory tune was making the most HP (7450RPM) and most TQ (5500RPM). Max gains are referencing the single point of the entire rev range where we saw the largest improvement over stock.

Thanks!

~Jared

Last edited by planolemans; 11-04-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:37 AM
planolemans
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

I have exactly the same car as you, including the same mod. Can you please give a more detailed review when you have time. It will really help the rest of us. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:33 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! We'd definitely love to hear your long-term feedback as well and let us know if you ever need any help with it!

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
Aftermarket modification always comes with the possibility that dealerships may not honor warranties. With that said, Porsche has been one of the best companies to deal with in this regard. My impression is that Porsche knows that our maps aren't breaking any cars and the engines are stout enough that a simple flash (when calibrated correctly) won't do any damage. I have yet to hear of a Porsche dealership outright denying work under warranty due to just a flash aside from customers who unplugged the Accessport mid-flash and had to get a new ECU. These are some rare cases where the ECU was so bricked even we couldn't fix it. Otherwise, the dealerships seem to be pretty welcoming of mods and a few are even Authorized Dealers for us. If this was a Subaru, I'd say to be a little more cautious about warranty stuff but our experience with Porsche has been fantastic.

- Andrew

Last edited by COBB Tuning; 11-04-2022 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Signature
The following 2 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
4S Leistung (11-04-2022), c1pher (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 03:53 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I wanted to share the progress on our exhaust flap testing as well as some of our future goals! We had a GT4 in this week and I had some time to test our new tables that Protuners can calibrate. There are 39 tables that are used and I'll outline the structure/functions below.

The first four tables are used to control "map slots" for the exhaust flaps in Normal and Sport modes and in each gear. The secondary tables are copies of the primary tables but we may be able to use those in the future to control individual banks. There are no differences between Sport and Normal in this car since the GT4 doesn't have different engine modes.

Next are the map slots. They all correspond via the number with a map slot assigned by the previous table. These tables are used depending on the map slot, drive mode, and whether or not the button is active for exhaust flap "high noise". There's a lot of redundancy here but with some tweaking, we may be able to use it for some really customized functionality. The data in the tables is output as the exhaust flap closure % based on RPM and airflow into the engine.

The output data is either 0 or 100 with 0 being flaps open and 100 being flaps closed. The 0-100 range suggests that there are values in between but any output greater than 0 results in the flaps closing completely. So really, it's very binary.

Finally, we have three tables that determine flap position on engine startup. On this GT4, flaps are always open on a cold start but close on hot "repeat" starts which is likely to happen if the Auto On/Off engages.

I hope this shows some of the intricacies of the exhaust flap control. We plan on doing some more testing and hope to be able to see some cool projects with it from our Protuners!

- Andrew

The following 3 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
Avera (11-04-2022), DFW01TT (11-05-2022), UncleDude (12-06-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 04:09 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

@COBB Tuning

One way or another, GT4/Spyder owners are going to draw you in to helping fix our exhausts

I suspect you are starting to figure out your engine tune sales will double if you can add exhaust valve control

Avera
Old 11-04-2022, 04:10 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 785 Likes on 449 Posts

So does that mean Cobb won't provide a tune version with the exhaust flap open and only rely on independent tuners to do that?
Old 11-04-2022, 04:19 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
@COBB Tuning

One way or another, GT4/Spyder owners are going to draw you in to helping fix our exhausts

I suspect you are starting to figure out your engine tune sales will double if you can add exhaust valve control

Avera
Agreed!!

After installing my Dundon Headers and OAPs cold starts are brutal in the morning... no way to avoid waking up the entire neighborhood. Being able to force the valves closed during cold start would be a massive improvement for many.
Avera (11-04-2022)
Old 11-04-2022, 04:34 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 135 Posts

The valves already close as soon as there is sufficient vacuum in the system after a cold start, unless PSE is selected on.

The Exhaust Valves are mechanically spring loaded to the ”Open” position, so there is no way to forcing them closed before engine start.
The following 2 users liked this post by DC021:
Avera (11-04-2022), Bearrun21 (12-21-2022)

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning Accessport for 718 (982) 4.0L NA Engines