Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Cobb Tuning Accessport for 718 (982) 4.0L NA Engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 01:31 AM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 310 Posts

Ordered!
Old 10-27-2022, 01:42 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,076 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by FreshDriver
It seems this the Stage 1 that makes the highest HP number out of the 4.0 in the market
Unlikely. I'd expect all tuners (Softronic, ME, Cobb) to be around the same. Some just post more conservative charts

Call me a sceptic, but really doubt 60+ HP on a GTS. Happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 10-27-2022 at 01:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
Avera (10-27-2022), JCviggen (10-29-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 07:55 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by jwr9152
@BGB Motorsports If you make Peter's car faster then mine, I'm going to be pretty upset.
Competition breeds improvement! It will make you a better driver BUT it is also my duty to keep the Unfair Advantages to a minimum!

Originally Posted by Avera
Not looking for a tune, but curious

Write-up indicates tune (stage 1 map) was created and tested with stock everything

What if an owner does not have stock everything (e.g., aftermarket exhaust) . . . does that mean the stage 1 map is not optimized and will require an individualized map?

Avera
The car is very good at handling additional increases in air flow. It can adapt nicely to revisions to the exhaust. If you start dumping filters though, while the flow will increase if you go so far as to trigger a CEL, then the map will revert to something with a fatter mixture.

Originally Posted by RoadrunnerGTS
Unlikely. I'd expect all tuners (Softronic, ME, Cobb) to be around the same. Some just post more conservative charts

I'm always skeptical about every single thing that's printed for the purposes of selling. I've been at this for two decades and remember a time when 7rwhp on a 987.1 was a big deal. I'm old school so if you give me 15rwhp from a tune on an NA car and almost 80rwhp on a tune for a turbo car OVER WHAT PORSCHE DOES and i'm stoked. This car woke up a lot from the tuning. I stropped paying attention though after the 20rwhp number cuz i saw all i needed to.

If i was doing the marketing offering i would absolutely choose the comparison to the model that Porsche restricted vs. the best run of the one that didn't for obvious reasons! I would go and find the poopiest spot on the curve for the stock car and then go and find the best part of the curve for the tuned GT4 with the most jam and that's the number i would use IF i didn't believe in underquoting every single thing i sell so i can impress not disappoint...

Originally Posted by Trj
Thanks John, PM sent.
Awesome! I got it. We have a new additional sales associate by the name of Doug that is here to assist AJ!

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Looks like a good Xmas gift

Peter
Santa doesn't even have to put it in his sack when he comes down the chimney, Fedex or UPS handle that! Just bring it to his workshop to put it on the Dynojet!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 10-27-2022 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:02 AM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,076 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I'm always skeptical about every single thing that's printed for the purposes of selling. I've been at this for two decades and remember a time when 7rwhp on a 987.1 was a big deal. I'm old school so if you give me 15rwhp from a tune on an NA car and almost 80rwhp on a tune for a turbo car OVER WHAT PORSCHE DOES and i'm stoked. This car woke up a lot from the tuning. I stropped paying attention though after the 20rwhp number cuz i saw all i needed to.

If i was doing the marketing offering i would absolutely choose the comparison to the model that Porsche restricted vs. the best run of the one that didn't for obvious reasons! I would go and find the poopiest spot on the curve for the stock car and then go and find the best part of the curve for the tuned GT4 with the most jam and that's the number i would use IF i didn't believe in underquoting every single thing i sell so i can impress not disappoint...

Fair enough and good response.

Cobb is +8% HP+ over Softronic and +10% HP over M-Engineering (Stg 1 93). That's a fair amount for those other tuners to be leaving on the table, so Cobb must have some magic. Great gains. Stage 2 in the mix ever?

Last edited by RoadrunnerGTS; 10-27-2022 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-27-2022, 09:10 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 453 Posts

John at BGB is a tuner who is conservative and very track oriented. In my experience several cars worth his tunes will run for full 30 min sessions at Sebring in the summer and not pull power. I also like that he follows the NASA dyno protocol on all his tunes Dynojet SAE correction smoothing 5.

Peter
Old 10-27-2022, 09:24 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 431 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
The car is very good at handling additional increases in air flow. It can adapt nicely to revisions to the exhaust. If you start dumping filters though, while the flow will increase if you go so far as to trigger a CEL, then the map will revert to something with a fatter mixture.
@BGB Motorsports

When you say ‘dumping filters,’ I am under the impression you are referring to cats/resonators from headers and OAPs?

In other words, with regard to exhaust modifications, stage 1 tune is not intended for anything more than swapping out the OEM rear box? Pretty typical that most stage 2 maps tend to be developed for ‘increased flow.’

I sense COBB is focused on not offering stage 2 mapping because they want keep everything emissions compliant. More than that, given the multitudes of aftermarket header/OAP/rear box replacement options, I think this is wise because it would be nearly impossible to produce a generic map that suits all the different ‘flows’ that could be produced. In other words, after stage 1, it seems every aftermarket tune should be individualized (e.g. pro-tunes). Better for both the tuners and consumers in the long run.

Avera
Old 10-27-2022, 11:36 AM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 204 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
Trying to compare apples to apples…..crank peak HP is 460hp and peak TQ is 330?
Peak HP is about 402 WHP and peak TQ is about 312 ft. lbs. at the wheels.

It's absolutely possible. When picking our charts, we try to go with what's the best representative example of a calibration. If I get an errant stock run that makes super low power, I don't keep it for consideration for marketing material. On this car, the most important thing was to perform all the marketing runs on the same day with a sufficient cooling setup in the dyno cell.

Fair enough and good response.

Cobb is +8% HP+ over Softronic and +10% HP over M-Engineering (Stg 1 93). That's a fair amount for those other tuners to be leaving on the table, so Cobb must have some magic. Great gains. Stage 2 in the mix ever?
There's definitely some magic. We won't spoil everything but one thing that I do like to point out is that the primary difference between the GTS and the Spyder/GT4 was the throttle control. OEM calibration on the GTS commands it to close aggressively at high RPM to limit power whereas the Spyder/GT4 let it remain fully open. This accounted for ~90% of the power difference between the two. The power we got on top of that is a mixture of a lot of things.

We aren't likely to make an OTS Stage2 map due to emissions. But that doesn't mean we don't have other maps to look forward to!

- Andrew

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

The following 2 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
Benzwiz (11-24-2022), Clark_Kent (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 11:53 AM
Clark_Kent
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for the explanations. Can you share why the dyno charts end at around 7,500 RPM well short of redline and fuel cut?
Old 10-27-2022, 12:34 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

@COBB Tuning

In your testing, what did you find represented the weak link, or limiting factor?

For example, I had a 2018 Macan Turbo with a COBB stage 1 tune. As was quite commonly encountered and reported on the forums, the tune produced too much boost pressure for the stock diverter valves (weak link). Short of replacing the diverter valves, I could not get any pro-tune to overcome the issue.

By no means meant to disparage COBB or your tunes. You have a great reputation for producing great tunes. I am simply inquiring what OEM component(s) was a limiting factor in your GT4 stage 1 tune?

Avera
Old 10-27-2022, 12:44 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
Thanks for the explanations. Can you share why the dyno charts end at around 7,500 RPM well short of redline and fuel cut?
For our purposes during testing, we kept the runs short to avoid bouncing off the rev limiter too many times. I probably logged several hundred pulls in this car per month. Since we had already achieved peak power by 7500 RPM, we kept it on the conservative side to keep the car safe. Once we have the car back from emissions testing, I can definitely give it a few full sends for a full graph!

Originally Posted by Avera
@COBB Tuning

In your testing, what did you find represented the weak link, or limiting factor?

For example, I had a 2018 Macan Turbo with a COBB stage 1 tune. As was quite commonly encountered and reported on the forums, the tune produced too much boost pressure for the stock diverter valves (weak link). Short of replacing the diverter valves, I could not get any pro-tune to overcome the issue.

By no means meant to disparage COBB or your tunes. You have a great reputation for producing great tunes. I am simply inquiring what OEM component(s) was a limiting factor in your GT4 stage 1 tune?

Avera
The biggest factor on these cars is heat. They're extremely prone to heat soak and the airflow into the side ducts isn't great, especially on a dyno. If you plan on live monitoring with an AP, I would definitely watch temps. We did some work to try and manage how the ECU responds to the heat but it's unavoidable. So cooling mods definitely help!
The following 2 users liked this post by COBB Tuning:
Avera (10-27-2022), Clark_Kent (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 02:07 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
The biggest factor on these cars is heat. They're extremely prone to heat soak and the airflow into the side ducts isn't great, especially on a dyno. If you plan on live monitoring with an AP, I would definitely watch temps. We did some work to try and manage how the ECU responds to the heat but it's unavoidable. So cooling mods definitely help!
Thank you sir

Avera
Old 10-27-2022, 03:16 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 774 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by COBB Tuning
Peak HP is about 402 WHP and peak TQ is about 312 ft. lbs. at the wheels.

- Andrew
Yes I understand that but trying to understand how that compares to Porsche’s advertised 394hp/309tq figure.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:34 PM
FreshDriver
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes I understand that but trying to understand how that compares to Porsche’s advertised 394hp/309tq figure.
I think it may be more than 460HP@crank
Old 10-27-2022, 03:41 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by FreshDriver
I think it may be more than 460HP@crank
Correct. Porsche typically publishes numbers at the crank. During engine development. They'll typically tune the engine outside the car as it gives them much better control over environmental factors and allows for much faster work.
Old 10-27-2022, 03:41 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,619 Likes on 2,062 Posts

They list the percentage gained on their maps note page.

Seems like you could do some math and get close.

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...ges/2718007297

Quick Reply: Cobb Tuning Accessport for 718 (982) 4.0L NA Engines