Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Engine Ticking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 02:21 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,355 Likes on 2,196 Posts

For those who are too lazy to click the TSB link:

In contrast to 718 model line vehicles with 4 cylinder Boxer engines, piezo injection valves are used instead of the conventional solenoid injection valves for derivatives with 4.0-liter flat-6 engine.

Piezo injection valves have a directly actuated and outwardly opening nozzle in conjunction with the piezo actuator, enabling extremely short switching times (up to four times shorter than with solenoid valves), making high-precision fuel dosing possible. With up to five injections per working cycle, highly flexible injection technologies are implemented, optimizing combustion and ultimately reducing fuel consumption.

Compared to motors with solenoid valve injectors, the piezo injection system is characterized by a metallic impact noise in the range of 3 kHz. This frequency range is perceived particularly intensely by humans.

Particularly in the lower load and engine speed range, when engine and driving noises move into the back- ground, the injection system’s impact noise can be perceived as dominant. Operating states such as idling, starting off and manoeuvring are particularly noticeable. As the load and engine speed increases, the sound of the fuel injectors fades into the background due to the increased noise level of the engine, exhaust system as well as rolling and wind noises.

Propagation of sound waves is particularly encouraged by the installation position of the flat engine. Due to the low position in the vehicle, the sound radiates in the direction of the road and the wheel housing. The sound waves are reflected and diffused in the vehicle surroundings.

Efficiently absorbing sound via acoustic insulation in the engine compartment is difficult due to the center or rear engine configuration compared to the front engine. In addition, some vehicles are also operated on the race circuit. The resulting high thermal loads make a complete acoustic engine compartment encapsulation impossible.
On 718 model line vehicles with a 4.0-liter flat-6 engine, piezo injection valves were deliberately chosen, as the emission benefits outweigh possible acoustic drawbacks while at the same time maintaining high specific power.”
The following 2 users liked this post by UncleDude:
subwoofer (05-24-2024), tigerhonaker (05-25-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 02:51 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 335 Posts

Good to read Porsche's technical bulletin. For some, it is another adorable idiosyncrasy of the 4 liter. Or a mere annoyance to tolerate for others.
The following users liked this post:
tigerhonaker (05-25-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 02:56 PM
h_4711
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by subwoofer
Sounds like this in my car. Very loud chirping at idle. PSE off or on.
Hi Subwoofer,

what you hear in you video examples IMG_1395 and IMG_1396 is the normal ticking of two valves whose clearances are temporarily increased for a short period of time. Reason is, that the springs of opened valves have compressed the assigned hydraulic lifters by a small - but absolutely required - leakage along the annular space between piston and cylinder of the hydraulic lifters, during the engine was stopped.

That has nothing in common with the complained permanent ticking as measured for example in my post # 151 in this thread, which does not disappear but increases more and more, when the engine becomes warm.
On the contrary, your 4 litre natural aspired engine is one of the smoothest running I ever heared.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:07 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by h_4711
Hi Subwoofer,

what you hear in you video examples IMG_1395 and IMG_1396 is the normal ticking of two valves whose clearances are temporarily increased for a short period of time. Reason is, that the springs of opened valves have compressed the assigned hydraulic lifters by a small - but absolutely required - leakage along the annular space between piston and cylinder of the hydraulic lifters, during the engine was stopped.

That has nothing in common with the complained permanent ticking as measured for example in my post # 151 in this thread, which does not disappear but increases more and more, when the engine becomes warm.
On the contrary, your 4 litre natural aspired engine is one of the smoothest running I ever heared.
Check my post # 331. The videos you referenced I posted more recently and they have the BC Fabs rear exhaust which is drowning out the sound of the fuel injectors. The chirping is very loud at idle and low speeds.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:08 AM
h_4711
Intermediate

Check my post # 331. The videos you referenced I posted more recently and they have the BC Fabs rear exhaust which is drowning out the sound of the fuel injectors. The chirping is very loud at idle and low speeds.
Hi Subwoofer,

sorry, but it's just the same with your examples in your post #331 in this thread.
Sound analysis (not subjective ear impressions !) doesn't show complained tickings as detected in my soundfile #151.
Please compare.

What you hear and have recorded is the normal sound of a not acoustically covered natural aspired 6 cylinder engine, may be amplified from the bottom, if the car is standing on solid ground or by wall reflections of the sound.
Your car is a good example for a not ticking engine (differing from mine in the beginning).
Congratulations !
Attached Files
File Type: avi
subwoofer.avi (8.75 MB, 11 views)
Old 05-25-2024, 08:45 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by h_4711
Hi Subwoofer,

sorry, but it's just the same with your examples in your post #331 in this thread.
Sound analysis (not subjective ear impressions !) doesn't show complained tickings as detected in my soundfile #151.
Please compare.

What you hear and have recorded is the normal sound of a not acoustically covered natural aspired 6 cylinder engine, may be amplified from the bottom, if the car is standing on solid ground or by wall reflections of the sound.
Your car is a good example for a not ticking engine (differing from mine in the beginning).
Congratulations !
I can't open your file. If I had to describe my car's the sound, I would say that it sounds like a rainstick. It is a consistent rattling & whistling sound and very noticeable at idle and low speeds. Yours sounds wose? Wow! That's not good.
Old 05-25-2024, 10:11 AM
h_4711
Intermediate

I can't open your file. If I had to describe my car's the sound, I would say that it sounds like a rainstick. It is a consistent rattling & whistling sound and very noticeable at idle and low speeds. Yours sounds wose? Wow! That's not good.
Hi Subwoofer,

you can't download the .AVI - videoclips #151 and #440 ?
That's a pity as I'm convinced that comparison would assure you your car sounding pretty good.

As I reported, ticking of my car has completely disappeared after about 10.000 miles. And it's not the injectors (that must be at least 6 sound events per camshaft revolution) but one sticking hydraulic lifter, which has become free now (as it is with many GTS 4.0 I've heared and analyzed, but not with all and particularly not with yours).

.AVI runs on PC and ANDROID (-> don't convert !), don't know about IOS. Could be you have a friend with a PC or ANDROID device ?
Comparison of the soundfiles may be advantageous for you to increase enjoyment for your great car.
Old 07-02-2024, 07:14 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

A late update, dealer was as expected useless and didn't do anything.

Perhaps if any vendors are watching this thread, a good opportunity for an aftermarket solution? Some insulation around the fuel pump or something?
SpyderSenseOC (07-03-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 10:01 PM
BoxKing
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 455 Posts

There is a solution to this ticking noise, and it’s in the form of an aftermarket exhaust. You just gotta give your ears something more pleasing to look forward to, and stop chasing a so called fix… it ain’t comin’
tigerhonaker (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 12:05 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxKing
There is a solution to this ticking noise, and it’s in the form of an aftermarket exhaust. You just gotta give your ears something more pleasing to look forward to, and stop chasing a so called fix… it ain’t comin’
I have an aftermarket exhaust. Helps but doesn't fix. If i had a cayman, I probably wouldn't care as much. Top down though, it's pretty hard to not notice.

The fuel pump is directly behind the driver's ear in the engine bay. I am not an engineer, but I imagine adding some sort of insulation there wouldn't hurt too much as it's an area that doesn't really get airflow and probably isn't a huge thermal concern...
Old 07-03-2024, 12:09 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 822 Posts
Exclamation

BoxKing,

I now run the Newest V2 version of the SOUL Performance "Rear-Exhaust-System" and I don't hear the annoying "Ticking-Sound" at all.

Honestly though I don't actually try to hear the "Ticking-Noise" anyway .............

Terry
Old 07-03-2024, 12:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,510 Likes on 5,046 Posts

The other "solution" is just to sell the car.
Old 07-03-2024, 12:15 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
BoxKing,

I now run the Newest V2 version of the SOUL Performance "Rear-Exhaust-System" and I don't hear the annoying "Ticking-Sound" at all.

Honestly though I don't actually try to hear the "Ticking-Noise" anyway .............

Terry
Hate to say it but it's there, perhaps it just does not bother you as much.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The other "solution" is just to sell the car.
It is a shame because it's the only negative about the car I can think of. I can put up with it, and I do think an aftermarket solution is a possibility. It plagues 992's as well (but since the engine is placed in a different location/direction, it is less noticeable).
Old 07-03-2024, 12:27 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 822 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
BoxKing,

Terry
Originally Posted by justince

It is a shame because it's the only negative about the car I can think of. I can put up with it, and I do think an aftermarket solution is a possibility. It plagues 992's as well (but since the engine is placed in a different location/direction, it is less noticeable).
justince,

justince,

Your right if I tried to hear the "Ticking" I have No-Doubt I could.
It's just not thankfully noticeable with me running the, SOUL, V2 rear-exhaust-system, SOUL, ceramic-coated (Performance) OAP.
Also I have and use daily the Cargraphics valve-controller.

I can understand owners like yourself that don't like the "Ticking" nor do you or others want to put up with it.

Terry
Old 07-03-2024, 02:33 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by justince

It is a shame because it's the only negative about the car I can think of.
I agree 100%. What I wouldn't give to make the chirping stop.

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise