Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 04:14 PM
SlickxAC
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by jimdillard
Thank you Jeff Jones and Westcoast. Wishful thinking on my part! Again, I appreciate all your help. So...I'm wondering if maybe this isn't a great excuse to convince my wife we need to get a lift system installed in our garage. I mean how else could you possibly remove an exhaust system without a lift system. It just can't be done. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!
Haha, would love a lift in my garage. but my ceiling isn't high enough. Just using the old jack and jack stands.
The following users liked this post:
jimdillard (02-08-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 02:52 AM
Net Cars
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IRM
Just installed the CG OAP with OPF in my Spyder. Already had the CG X-Pipe race exhaust and valve controller. This is it for me. The sound is just amazing without being obnoxious at all. I highly recommend this setup - it has punch, the right tone, whilst being very livable too. I could only compared it with a GT4 with CG valve and X-Pipe exhaust and the difference is very noticeable. Cheers!
I’m highly considering this setup. Which CG OAP with OPF did you select? There’s like 3 different versions from Cargraphic.
jimdillard (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 03:08 AM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Net Cars
I’m highly considering this setup. Which CG OAP with OPF did you select? There’s like 3 different versions from Cargraphic.
This one:

I added the heat shield too.
The following 2 users liked this post by IRM:
jimdillard (02-10-2022), Net Cars (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 03:27 AM
Net Cars
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IRM
This one:

Awesome. Thank you so much for posting this!
Do you have any drone at all with this setup? And if so, when does it happen?
jimdillard (02-10-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 03:39 AM
IRM
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Net Cars
Awesome. Thank you so much for posting this!
Do you have any drone at all with this setup? And if so, when does it happen?
On my Spyder I drive with the top down most of the time and I must be drone-tolerant because I don't feel/hear that much with the stock setup. I would say, given the openness of this setup vs. stock, when drone happens you will hear it in similar RPM places but stronger (along with the new volume of the setup)
The following 2 users liked this post by IRM:
jimdillard (02-10-2022), Net Cars (02-21-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 11:12 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

Absolutely love?

Dundon headers/OAPs with OEM rear box
- Loud when valves open
- OK tone
- No significant drone

Dundon headers/OAPs with JCR 70mm Rape Pipe
- Insanely loud when valves open
- Incredible tone (high-pitched/wailing)
- Insane drone

OEM rear box back in place. Drone ruined everything.

I THINK the Dundon components coupled with OEM rear box it is just about as good as I am going to get. Not absolute love, but absolutely an improvement over the OEM exhaust setup.

I say I THINK because the only other option I would consider at this point does not yet exist . . . the Dundon rear box that has been forever promised, but yet to be delivered.

The OEM rear box transmits (Dundon) decibels very well and scavenges drone exceptionally well. The compromise is tone. . . the tone is not terrible. It just is not JCR or what I anticipate Dundon will produce if they ever come out with their rear box option.

Dundon already has the Crack Pretzel, but that is a drone monster, so I anticipate they will ultimately release their rear box that produces a great tone with manageable drone. . . like their GT3 mini Crack Pipe or Lifetime Muffler

Avera
The following 2 users liked this post by Avera:
Bearrun21 (11-12-2022), mprog (11-11-2022)
Old 11-11-2022, 11:16 PM
mprog
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 115 Posts

I really love the tone from only adding JCR silenced valved rear section and BCM panel filters. The tone is just incredible and volume is loud but not harmful to your health ! I get compliments at track days about how good my car sounds while passing people. (Even had a 997 GT3 say they loved it, which is quite the compliment considering how good that car sounds!)

I’m just waiting for Jonny to finish that silenced over axel pipe , but I’m aware it may bring the drone / cabin resonance to a place I’m uncomfortable with.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:06 AM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 439 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by mprog
I really love the tone from only adding JCR silenced valved rear section and BCM panel filters. The tone is just incredible and volume is loud but not harmful to your health ! I get compliments at track days about how good my car sounds while passing people. (Even had a 997 GT3 say they loved it, which is quite the compliment considering how good that car sounds!)

I’m just waiting for Jonny to finish that silenced over axel pipe , but I’m aware it may bring the drone / cabin resonance to a place I’m uncomfortable with.
Agreed

If tone is the lone objective, there are multiple aftermarket options producing a range of tones that suit individual interests

JCR produces that high-pitched/wailing tone that I was after and, like many, you also seem to enjoy

You seem content with the JCR tone and, perhaps, modest bump in decibels that the Race Pipe alone provides . . . sounds like you ‘absolutely love’ your setup. No pun intended

Trying to balance decibels and drone is the tricky part. The decibels – as well as TQ/HP gains that many are after - come from aftermarket header/OAP options

As per my prior post, the Dundon headers/OAPs produce exceptional decibels, while the OEM rear box is unusually well-equipped to transmit decibels AND scavenge drone . . . tone is the compromise

It is all give and take. Personally, I am unwilling to negotiate what the Dundon components have brought to the table, and the OEM rear box seems to represent the ‘perfect compromise’

Despite a bit of controversy in other threads, there is no doubt the Dundon components deliver exceptional TQ/HP gains that I doubt any third-party tune alone could accomplish with these NA flat6 engines. The TQ/HP and decibels gains are why I am unwilling to negotiate the Dundon components.

Time will tell if I Dundon can deliver a rear box solution to give ME the perfect exhaust setup, or I continue to live with the perfect compromise in the OEM rear box?

Avera
The following 3 users liked this post by Avera:
Bearrun21 (11-12-2022), jdmporscheguy (01-23-2023), LCBC911 (11-13-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 04:48 PM
IL_Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 1,114 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by IRM
This one:

I have a set of the Cargraphic Shielded High Flow Filter OAPs For Sale now:

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1324538

(Non-monitored versions.)

See my Exhaust Comparison Thread, these are the very best of three different OAPs I tried with my JCR Valved Silenced Race Pipe at minimizing Bassiness/Drone while still providing for additional volume and tone, and a Butt Dyno noticeable additional Pull in the High RPMs.

This is particularly effective in a Cayman (versus a Boxster/Spyder), which is more susceptible to that Bassiness/Drone.
Alpha Ice (11-15-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 05:58 PM
horns
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Avera
Absolutely love?

Dundon headers/OAPs with OEM rear box
- Loud when valves open
- OK tone
- No significant drone

Dundon headers/OAPs with JCR 70mm Rape Pipe
- Insanely loud when valves open
- Incredible tone (high-pitched/wailing)
- Insane drone

OEM rear box back in place. Drone ruined everything.

I THINK the Dundon components coupled with OEM rear box it is just about as good as I am going to get. Not absolute love, but absolutely an improvement over the OEM exhaust setup.
Dundon headers with oem muffler is what I intended to do. I bought the headers/oap system, but got rid of the car before i had a chance to put them on. I wanted the power gain, some additional sound, but I didn't want race system loud. I would have bought the dundon muffler, but it wasn't, and still isn't, available. I was hoping that would be the ultimate solution including great tone. Now I'll never know.

If anyone is interested in unused dundon headers, i have a set.
Avera (11-19-2022)
Old 01-20-2023, 11:53 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
Obviously there has been much talk on this issue from the earliest days. However, reading through all the posts and watching all the videos, I have yet to find anything that people absolutely rave about. I have yet to mod my exhaust in any way. For those of you that have:

1. What have you done?
2. What was the reason for your choice/decision?
2. What are the pros?
3. What are the cons?
I can answer the OP now.

1. Kline stainless.
2. Looking for a blended tone, and little to no negative sounds compared to stock.
3. OEM quality sound valves open and closed, bump in volume valves open, character to the sound (burbles, cracks, not a tonne but enough to be “interesting”)
4. The system replaces the OAP and rear section so the cost is more than just doing one, but combined it is a tremendous value compared to other systems.

I’ve got a few thousand KM’s on it now and I’m really pleased with it.
SupremePower (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 01:07 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I can answer the OP now.

1. Kline stainless.
2. Looking for a blended tone, and little to no negative sounds compared to stock.
3. OEM quality sound valves open and closed, bump in volume valves open, character to the sound (burbles, cracks, not a tonne but enough to be “interesting”)
4. The system replaces the OAP and rear section so the cost is more than just doing one, but combined it is a tremendous value compared to other systems.

I’ve got a few thousand KM’s on it now and I’m really pleased with it.
Kline gets a lot of nice praise from enthusiasts.

Anyone know if Kline will add a GT4RS specific exhaust? I messaged them but haven't heard anything yet.
Old 01-21-2023, 01:07 PM
Adrift
Rennlist Member

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Jethot coated Soul Comp OAPs + VC. Done and done. (I know it has been said before, but...it's true)
Alan C. (01-22-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 01:59 PM
LoodorneGT4
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I tried many setup....Kline was a keeper.
it’s very sound balance setup. Inconel is the way to go if you have the budget plus the weight saving is huge compared to stock .

Last edited by LoodorneGT4; 01-21-2023 at 02:00 PM.
SupremePower (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 03:14 PM
RoadrunnerGTS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,081 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by LoodorneGT4
I tried many setup....Kline was a keeper.
it’s very sound balance setup. Inconel is the way to go if you have the budget plus the weight saving is huge compared to stock .
My SS Kline was my 3rd attempt at exhaust modification. It is the one to get. Tone is exotic and sophisticated, not raw, not too loud.
The following 2 users liked this post by RoadrunnerGTS:
LoodorneGT4 (01-22-2023), UncleDude (01-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?