Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 12:35 PM
smithsonga
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't read this entire thread. Any exhaust is so subjective and depends on the use case.

I ended up with quite an extreme final product on my 718 Spyder with Soul catted headers plus their race exhaust with resonated OAPs. I run with many GT3RS and Dundon exhausts, and everyone agrees my Spyder exhaust is incredible...one of the best sounding in our large group. It surprises people.

That said, it is LOUD. Revving and standing behind it is not advised. The drone is strong in this one. I would not choose this with a GT4, given the closed cockpit. Open air spyder, the drone isn't nearly as noticeable. Top up a bit more, but I drop a gear. It is a tradeoff I am willing to accept. It makes the car feel like a race car at all times. I am very tolerant of sound and love it, so that is why it is the best for me.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
20221110_002821000_iOS.mov (1.20 MB, 78 views)

Last edited by smithsonga; 01-24-2023 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:53 PM
dmboone25
Racer

Received 328 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
A thread with 600 posts that may or may not answer my specific question?
I think it highlights the challenges for this platform, in the sense that there are lots of options out there, but (to me, anyway) no clear or decisive pathway.

Old 01-24-2023, 01:05 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,465 Likes on 2,239 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrift
A thread with 600 posts that may or may not answer my specific question?
Ya, that's the one. I'd appreciate the sarcasm if your question wasn't the most asked one LOL.
Old 01-24-2023, 01:05 PM
jwr9152
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Rockford
Anyone happen to try this combo yet?
- stock backbox
​​​​​​- resonated OAP
- 200 cell headers

Or if not then same but with non-resonated OAP?
I have 200 cell cats with non resonated OAP. Well mine are technically UAP (bc fans). I have both the stock backbox and a cargraphics track/performance backbox. With the stock backbox there is no more drone then stock. Valves closed it sounds pretty close to the same as stock. Valves open it is much louder then stock and a slightly lower tone. The cargraphics sounds a lot better to me. Higher pitch and cleaner sound at high rpms. Valves closed is about as loud as stock with valves open. Valves open is even louder with a higher pitch. Even feels like the engine revs quicker with the cargraphics backbox. Problem is it drones around town with this set up. Love it for the track, and I need it to meet sound, since both pathways are 2.5" I can run with the valves closed to meet sound at noise restricted tracks. I've gotten to where I swap back and forth when I'm at the track versus driving around town.
The following users liked this post:
Jim Rockford (01-24-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 11:23 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 300 Posts

To directly answer the OP, I have.

My current setup is OEM cats + Akra OAP + Cargraphic racing x-pipe rear section + 2-way Cargraphic valve controller.

My favorite settings are the valves forced open via the Cargraphic key fob and and the PSE button in the center console set to off. It is my understanding that the PSE button not only toggles the exhaust valves but also enhances the induction noise via the sound symposer. While I love the induction noise you get with a fully OEM setup, you just can't hear it very well with the exhaust I have. While not a huge difference, I found that having both the valves forced open + the PSE button on added some not so pleasant engine noises and muddied the exhaust note a bit. Having the valves open and the PSE button off, however, made for a "cleaner" pure exhaust noise, at least for me in the cabin. I'm sure the outside sound is the same, PSE button on or off, so long as you have the valves forced open with the valve controller.

The OAP alone added some welcome volume but did not change the dual 3 cylinder tone. The racing x-pipe certainly changed the tone to something much more exotic and racy. It sounds absolutely unbelievable. Aggressive, to be sure, but not unbearable, at least to me.

The ability to quiet things down with the valve controller is also a plus. Though, I must say, the exhaust while quieter with the valves closed, does tend to become a bit boomy in the low revs and not as pleasant sounding vs. when the valves are open. Cruising at speed on the freeway, however, the closed valves make for a much less noisy drive.

Last edited by 850tgul; 04-21-2023 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:40 PM
Avera
Burning Brakes

Received 440 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
To directly answer the OP, I have.

My current setup is OEM cats + Akra OAP + Cargraphic racing x-pipe rear section + 2-way Cargraphic valve controller.

My favorite settings are the valves forced open via the Cargraphic key fob and and the PSE button in the center console set to off. It is my understanding that the PSE button not only toggles the exhaust valves but also enhances the induction noise via the sound symposer. While I love the induction noise you get with a fully OEM setup, you just can't hear it very well with the exhaust I have. While not a huge difference, I found that having both the valves forced open + the PSE button on added some not so pleasant engine noises and muddied the exhaust note a bit. Having the valves open and the PSE button off, however, made for a "cleaner" pure exhaust noise, at least for me in the cabin. I'm sure the outside sound is the same, PSE button on or off, so long as you have the valves forced open with the valve controller.

The OAP alone added some welcome volume but did not change the dual 3 cylinder tone. The racing x-pipe certainly changed the tone to something much more exotic and racy. It sounds absolutely unbelievable. Aggressive, to be sure, but not unbearable, at least to me.

The ability to quiet things down with the valve controller is also a plus. Though, I must say, the exhaust while quieter with the valves closed, does tend to become a bit boomy in the low revs and not as pleasant sounding vs. when the valves are open. Cruising at speed on the freeway, however, the closed valves make for a much less noisy drive.
That was a very nice little write-up . . . glad you are enjoying your exhaust setup.

Avera
Old 04-23-2023, 01:37 AM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 247 Posts

For maximum intensity, while preserving the ability to drive the car daily, I don't think I could have done better than going with the Dundon setup (even while using the factory back box - for now). With valves closed the car is completely civilized, while making a bit more sound than stock. Valves open with the happy peddle squeezed and it turns the car into something entirely different. I've also been working with Dundon on a Pro-Tune (using COBB Accessport) and the fun factor has been dialed up to 11. More power, More dynamic, More drama... The number of people I see giving me fist pumps after hearing the car rip has increased dramatically since working on the Pro-Tune.

Here is a quick taste of what the car is sounding like now:

I'll be making some more videos soon both inside and outside the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by BabyNSX:
MechEngr1287 (05-19-2023), SC1 (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 02:54 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 532 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by BabyNSX
That's a terrific idea! The vid linked above is great.
BabyNSX (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 08:25 AM
Alpha Ice
Burning Brakes

Received 460 Likes on 286 Posts

For maximum intensity, while preserving the ability to drive the car daily, I don't think I could have done better than going with the Dundon setup (even while using the factory back box - for now). With valves closed the car is completely civilized, while making a bit more sound than stock. Valves open with the happy peddle squeezed and it turns the car into something entirely different. I've also been working with Dundon on a Pro-Tune (using COBB Accessport) and the fun factor has been dialed up to 11. More power, More dynamic, More drama... The number of people I see giving me fist pumps after hearing the car rip has increased dramatically since working on the Pro-Tune.

https://youtu.be/rdslUOshAog

Good call on the vid, and I'm glad your enjoying it, it no doubt rips up the hill! This is my complaint with the factory setup however. We find something that we love that works with the factory setup, but many of us still want to remove that factory rear box (I still am not crazy about the sound of how it messes with the sound). Once you do that anything that we do enjoy gets heightened up to a 13.
I know Avera went through this with his JCR larger than normal diameter backbox, and while I love my car and setup, my wife has on occasion said she doesn't like the attention that it adds. But I find it lovely!
Hopefully if/when you do go for an upgraded backbox, you'll still find its enjoyable. I started with the manifolds too and it does make certain choices tough to have the right blend, especially when many others are running different systems or components.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:34 PM
dnimi123
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 675 Posts

https://youtu.be/rdslUOshAog

Does this really sound good? Im not sure I can say that listening to this particular VDO... I have the full kline in inconel and this sounds... hard to explain... like a subaru? Maybe its the microphone? Id like to hear better video from maybe the outside of the car?
flynlo (04-24-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 12:38 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,456 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by dnimi123
Does this really sound good? Im not sure I can say that listening to this particular VDO... I have the full kline in inconel and this sounds... hard to explain... like a subaru? Maybe its the microphone? Id like to hear better video from maybe the outside of the car?
I felt the same but I did not to say it since I thought it was just me. Maybe I am just to used to my setup (Soul Street Headers & Resonated Race Exhaust - no mufflers), which I believe sounds deeper and not raspy. To each their own though since sound is subjective...nice to have choices.

Last edited by Bob Z.; 04-23-2023 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:43 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 919 Posts

You are probably right...the problem is that no matter which combo of headers + OAP you use, if you keep the rear muffler it will sound different to any other Porsche and IMHO awful.
When I had the 718 GT4 I tested a lot of exhaust combos and latter settled on the Dundon setup as it delivered a good power increase and with the valves closed it's almost OEM like but never warmed up to the valves open sound.
Every single time I tried to add a rear muffler solution the drone as unbearable and in some cases, like with Akras muffler, just like OEM but louder as you need to mix both banks valves open to make it sound better.
The Klein solution is probably the best one in term of being a really good compromised between sound quality and no drone....but then I have never seen any data on power gains.
As I have always said...of the 3 exhaust sections, pick 2 and call it a day!
BTW...GT4RS has the same problem but the engine does sound better with the OEM muffler, which is exactly the same one as on the 718 GT4
mr965 (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 02:26 PM
BabyNSX
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 247 Posts

Was recorded with an iPhone's built in microphone. I do have a better capture setup, but didn't use it here. Dundon definitely doesn't sound like a Subaru

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I felt the same but I did not to say it since I thought it was just me. Maybe I am just to used to my setup (Soul Street Headers & Resonated Race Exhaust - no mufflers), which I believe sounds deeper and not raspy. To each their own though since sound is subjective...nice to have choices.
With the valves open the Dundon setup is nearly a straight pipe setup with the muffler only passively absorbing some of the higher pitched frequencies right at the exhaust exit - not very effective, and muddles the sound a bit. As a result there is plenty of rasp when on full song and is much like what you would experience with a full race setup. There is still plenty of deep sound coming out, but perhaps that wasn't captured well in this recording. Of course sound is subjective and its great we have choices.

As I mentioned one of the great things of this setup is that the PSE function is very effective at transforming the car back to something very civilized, so you get the best of both worlds. I do believe there is some clean-up work to do in the sound department that is a consequence of the OE muffler and that Dundon's solution to this will likely be the icing on the cake - not transformative, but more refined.

I'll be working on getting some better in-car and outside captures
Old 04-23-2023, 03:26 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 919 Posts

As I mentioned one of the great things of this setup is that the PSE function is very effective at transforming the car back to something very civilized, so you get the best of both worlds. I do believe there is some clean-up work to do in the sound department that is a consequence of the OE muffler and that Dundon's solution to this will likely be the icing on the cake - not transformative, but more refined.

I'll be working on getting some better in-car and outside captures
Agreed....but Dundon's Ti muffler is +$10K...aaaauuuch!
I will be testing Soul's valved 4RS muffler this next week....IF it works and can be adapted to GT4 it could be an option...problem is, it's still a $6K option
BabyNSX (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 04:05 PM
enduro
Burning Brakes

Received 607 Likes on 350 Posts

Rode in @incursion 's car with klein stainless last week.

When he fired it up while I was sitting next to him, I'd forgotten he'd put on a new exhaust and it wasn't different enough from stock to jog my memory. When I rode with him, it went from stock-ish sounding in the cabin at low RPM and heavy throttle to having a nice GT car sound at >4k or so RPM and WOT. Nice wail + I could hear some intake sound with over it. Louder than stock up top, but nice and chill at regular driving RPM. I haven't ridden in a non-modded GT4 in a while to compare, but his drone, if there was any, is an order of magnitude less than my Dundon + JCR wild setup. Overall, I think it's a solid option if you want GT car sound but don't want drone.

That said, if my experience is indicative, if you put headers + high flow cats ahead of it, things could change substantially for the wilder as my JCR behind stock manifolds, cats, fake OPFs was pretty tame, but with a GT car sound.

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?