Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 06:49 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by YMGT4
I just picked up my GT4 w/ pdk after having Dundon Street Headers installed. I'm pretty amazed with how close to stock it is driving around town and on the highway (doesn't drone anymore than stock imo), but when you let it rip it the sound is totally epic. Would highly recommend this setup, plus it definitely pulls harder. I bought this system with a bit of blind faith (though knew it would be quality given its Dundon) as I haven't met anyone locally who has one installed and the online videos from Dundon are a bit lacking if I'm honest.

While it does sound good with the OEM muffler and no drone...it still needs a proper muffler that mix both banks and produce that sweet Porsche Flat 6 sound.
Having the cats where the GPF used to be may help alleviate the drone and higher volumes associated with most OAP.
Still waiting for the perfect muffler to be available....
Old 05-03-2021, 07:22 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

See next post.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 05-03-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:27 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

[QUOTE=Larry Cable;17407161]
I think the combination of the "straight thru" design of the Soul OAP and the Akra simply transmits too much volume ... hopefully the CarGraphic flow optimized OAPs will mute it somwhat!

Looks like another possible candidate for a resonated OAP. I know people are probably getting tired of me continually bringing this up, but it seems like for those who would like it open but a little quieter, that this could benefit us.
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (05-21-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 11:58 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Finally installed the Akrapovic muffler on my GT4. Still waiting for the Akrapovic link pipes. Latest delivery estimate is mid July. Ugh.

I'm happy with the muffler. In terms of volume, with PSE off it is still very quiet. With PSE on I'd put it closer to my 981 Boxster GTS with PSE off. Maybe a little less. Hard to say exactly since the exhaust notes are so different.

It's been raining here and I'm on the wrong tires so I haven't been able to properly run it to redline yet. My initial take is that it takes the factory exhaust note and makes it a better version of itself. I suspect adding the link pipes will make it the best version it can be (and luckily still won't be overly loud).

Bottom line is I can actually hear the exhaust now, which is nice. But it will never sound as good as my stock 981 GTS or GT4.

I am tempted to disconnect the vacuum line so the valves are open all the time. Just as a temporary test. I will say the car sounds AMAZING during the cold start emissions idle. Not overly loud, but a fantastic sound.
Old 05-20-2021, 12:15 PM
Cazten
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Generally speaking what is the expected sound changes when swapping different parts of the exhaust system? I'm just looking into this and see people mix and matching what parts they swap. My goal is to unlock the more raw mechanical sound, optimally higher pitched, without suppressing fun pops and bangs.... all without making it super loud.

Headers?
OAP?
Catback?
Old 05-20-2021, 12:20 PM
omar0022
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 114 Posts

Agree with you on it never sounding like the 981 GTS/GT4 but the 4.0 brings a unquie sound (with exhaust) that has grown on me. I did the Akrapovia muffler with Link pipes and some say thats too loud, but its perfect for me!
Old 05-20-2021, 12:24 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by omar0022
I did the Akrapovia muffler with Link pipes and some say thats too loud, but its perfect for me!
The link pipes would have to release a TON of sound for it to be too loud. And maybe they do. But in no way, shape, or form does the Akra muffler with factory OAP approach being loud by any means. If the link pipes do open it up that much I'd love to put my factory muffler back on, as the interior of the Akra tips really clash with my Miami Blue.
The following users liked this post:
omar0022 (05-20-2021)
Old 05-20-2021, 02:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
The link pipes would have to release a TON of sound for it to be too loud. And maybe they do. But in no way, shape, or form does the Akra muffler with factory OAP approach being loud by any means. If the link pipes do open it up that much I'd love to put my factory muffler back on, as the interior of the Akra tips really clash with my Miami Blue.
be in no doubt that the "straight thru" OAP's will make the Akra slipon LOUD, I have the Soul + slipon, and its too loud for me ... so waiting on some CG OAPs to see if that will reduce the sound some...

not sure I agree that the Akra tips clash with MB!

Old 05-20-2021, 02:21 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
be in no doubt that the "straight thru" OAP's will make the Akra slipon LOUD, I have the Soul + slipon, and its too loud for me ... so waiting on some CG OAPs to see if that will reduce the sound some...

not sure I agree that the Akra tips clash with MB!
I'd be very curious to know if the Soul OAPs with the factory muffler would be your happy medium. If they release that much sound it might very well be mine.

Hard to tell from a picture, but I wonder if your tips are a bit darker than mine because they have more use. Mine are new, and have kind of a coppery look, where yours look more grey.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I'd be very curious to know if the Soul OAPs with the factory muffler would be your happy medium. If they release that much sound it might very well be mine.

Hard to tell from a picture, but I wonder if your tips are a bit darker than mine because they have more use. Mine are new, and have kind of a coppery look, where yours look more grey.
I suspect that OAPs & OEM muffler might well be the solution, but now I have the akra, hopefully the CarGraphic "optimized flow" OAPs will reduce the volume enough to make things a little more endurable...

did you get the black or titanium tips with your slipon - mine are the black ones, and have not measurably changed color since installation about 2 months ago

Last edited by Larry Cable; 05-20-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:44 PM
omar0022
Racer

I suspect that OAPs & OEM muffler might well be the solution, but now I have the akra, hopefully the CarGraphic "optimized flow" OAPs will reduce the volume enough to make things a little more endurable...

did you get the black or titanium tips with your slipon - mine are the black ones, and have not measurably changed color since installation about 2 months ago

Can the OEM tips be reused on the akra box? I saved mine in case I wanted to change to look back to OEM one day.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Can the OEM tips be reused on the akra box? I saved mine in case I wanted to change to look back to OEM one day.
AFIAK NO ... the pipes are a different diameter I believe ... but I would keep the OEM exhaust in order to be able to return to stock if/when you come to sell the car (it wont CPO with aftermarket installations)
Old 05-20-2021, 02:59 PM
omar0022
Racer

AFIAK NO ... the pipes are a different diameter I believe ... but I would keep the OEM exhaust in order to be able to return to stock if/when you come to sell the car (it wont CPO with aftermarket installations)
Damn! Yep I have the OEM exhaust packaged up in storage.
Old 05-20-2021, 03:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

The Ti will change color as it heat cycles ...
Old 05-20-2021, 03:03 PM
Wei718
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 52 Posts

I tried it but decided not to.

It would be possible to make it fit if you are willing to spread apart the metal but definitely not something that is plug and play and risk damaging the oem tips.

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?