Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 10:02 PM
gt4-2-n8
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 31 Posts

718 Spyder is going so I'm selling my practically brand new Fabspeed Overaxle GPF delete and Valvetronic exhaust. I've installed it in November and it has less than 1000 miles. I loved it! When I drove spyder home today with stock system on, I was saddened by how muted it sounds. Exhaust and GPF delete is a must in this car...really helps improve respiratory mechanics and acoustic experience . Please PM for pricing or DM @dhatxo

Old 03-27-2021, 10:08 PM
ltfl09
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 88 Posts

Kline sounds the best for this platform in my opinion. Perfect pitch
The following users liked this post:
dnimi123 (03-28-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 10:26 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by ltfl09
It does sound good; especially with the Inconel version. Not sure about the SS version, as I have not heard it. The Kline and JCR Inconel does give the Spyder and GT4 that exotic/Italianesque sound, although, I feel the Cargraphic version maintains that Porsche guttural and hollow wail of the Flat-6 we all can identify with.

Last edited by 808c2s; 03-27-2021 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:26 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by blabus
@metalone Excellent sounding setup, you seem to have cracked what everyone is really after, which is the cleaner/higher-pitched note closer to the 981/GT3. I'm curious though, do you think this exhaust note is achieved only by the exact combination of Akrapovic OAP + Cargraphic Racing X-pipe, or is most of the high-pitched tone coming from the Cargraphic X-pipe? In other words, could I get a similar exhaust note by using a Soul OAP + Cargraphic Racing X-pipe? Also, do you not find it too loud? It's hard to judge from your video, but it sort of sounds ear-splitting. What I want (and I suspect a lot of others do as well) is the tone but not necessarily extreme volume. Perhaps this could be solved by going with the X-pipe but skipping the OAP? Or are both required to get that tone?
I don't think it's too loud, the sound is glorious when you are really pushing hard as intended, but when you're not under heavy load there's resonance that could appear scattered anywhere in between 4800 and 5200 RPM band. It not always happens but when it does is when you are holding at a steady RPM on that range, it's pretty much like blowing a bottle sound. The "good" thing is that an slight variation of the throttle is enough to "change" the gas velocity and make it away, so actually I think I could learn to handle it.
It's important to notice that I were also hearing this resonance with the OEM setup, but with much less volume and not as high pitched as now... what's suprise me too is that not many have mentioned this enough from their OEM. Anyway I've also discarded that the closing/opening valves programming were making this resonance as it has happened me with the lines disconnected too.

I think that any OAP without filter would sound the same, I think that you need an X pipe end for the high pitched sound.

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I have the Soul race exhaust with resonators, I like the sound once on the revs but need to modulate the throttle when in the 2K to 2.8K rpms band.
This is definitely not the exhaust for those that are worried about drone or volume...and I still haven't installed the race headers!
So far, there are no shortcuts here......you either get the sound or the power...or just live with the stock exhaust.
With the CF X Pipe with PSE OFF the 2K drone shouldn't be a problem, and with PSE ON it might but nothing that terrible anyways... If the valves were to close a bit earlier would have been even better.

Originally Posted by 808c2s
Perhaps the no filter insert and Touring will be fine, but with the X-pipe, the optimized flow filter insert is the way to go, per Michael for no drone or resonance.
I'm very curious of the new X Pipe, having a bigger muffler volume could be enough to cancel all droning and resonances in conjunction with having valves closed all time.

I've been doing some investigation runs, at the same backroad shown in the video, that is: with PSE OFF, with valves disconnected, with top up, with top down, with all the previous combined, etc... and my own conclusions were:
  1. Having valves opened all time would only add some low volume burbling between 3.2 - 3.8K but nothing really special (right at 3K the car is silent with or without valves closed, very interesting).
  2. Instead of looking to force closing valves at 5K to avoid resonances it would be more effective just using the OEM PSE OFF and upshift, although as today I still don't fully understand the PSE OFF logic as it seems takes a lot more variables to trigger closing.
Therefore I don't think that a valve controller would paid off, or at least not for me now. I might change my mind later, especially regarding a three way CF controller If I not succeed on managing the 5K resonances.
I will also be very alert on that DSC module that supposedly would allow you to program your own valves rules regarding the PSE button.

Last edited by metalone; 03-27-2021 at 11:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:47 AM
Knutsm01
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ltfl09
Only downside is the 13 week wait.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:38 AM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
Dang that is even longer than JCR.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:46 AM
SupremePower
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,388 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by Knutsm01
Good thing its not for a 488 pista!

”3/17/2021

Hi Eric, Lead time for 488 Pista exhaust system is 16-17 weeks.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Rares”

World's Largest Retailer/Distributor of BBS Motorsport & Street Wheels from 2015-2023
Huge Inventory: BBS, Kline, Brembo, Soul, Recaro, KW, Akrapovic & 200+ brands. Installation available
** Retail & Wholesale ** Global Delivery ** We match/beat any authorized dealer's price **

SupremePower.com // SupremeForged.com // Follow SupremePower on IG

Old 03-28-2021, 06:41 AM
SpyderLegend
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Does the stock exhaust with valve always opened drone below 3800rpm?

Also, if I disconnect the hose, will dust and dirty go inside the hose? Or do I have to close both ends of the hose?

Please help

Last edited by SpyderLegend; 03-28-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:17 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderLegend
Does the stock exhaust with valve always opened drone below 3800rpm?

Also, if I disconnect the hose, will dust and dirty go inside the hose? Or do I have to close both ends of the hose?

Please help
Never noticed a drone below 3800 rpm.
For dust issues, use these screws
Old 03-28-2021, 08:33 AM
VVG
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by gt4-2-n8
718 Spyder is going so I'm selling my practically brand new Fabspeed Overaxle GPF delete and Valvetronic exhaust. I've installed it in November and it has less than 1000 miles. I loved it! When I drove spyder home today with stock system on, I was saddened by how muted it sounds. Exhaust and GPF delete is a must in this car...really helps improve respiratory mechanics and acoustic experience . Please PM for pricing or DM @dhatxo

If you are in a position to share the info, may I ask why you are selling the car after so little use? Is there something about the car you find deficient? I am always curious when I see high end cars sold after so little use.
Jim Rockford (03-28-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 01:02 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,600 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I am thinking this combo may be ideal as well. Still awaiting for my Spyder to be cleared of this Stop Sale situation so I can get the Cargraphic system from Eric already
Perhaps the no filter insert and Touring will be fine, but with the X-pipe, the optimized flow filter insert is the way to go, per Michael for no drone or resonance.
Ive got Eric @SupremePower working on a pair of the Cargraphic optimal flow filter/on sensors OPFs w/heat shielding - once I get those I'll replace the Soul OPFs and report back on the results - fingers crossed!

if anyone wants my Soul OPF's with Jet Hot coating PM me and we can agree on a price they were $1795+$450 for jet hot...
Old 03-28-2021, 02:04 PM
808c2s
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Ive got Eric @SupremePower working on a pair of the Cargraphic optimal flow filter/on sensors OPFs w/heat shielding - once I get those I'll replace the Soul OPFs and report back on the results - fingers crossed!
Sounds good. Looking forward to it. I like that heat shielding idea
Old 03-28-2021, 04:07 PM
alwaysdriving
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default My own stages of setup with explanations

Before i began explaining everything let me say (to each his own) the sound volume and tune depends on MANY factors with pro and cons of each path, at the end of the day we cannot agree on a single best solution that fits all people but from every stage of changing a part of the exhaust i will explain to every person who begins to mod to know what his choice results would be.
and i’m the type who likes hearing sounds in sport cars and love them in supercars.

from day one i forced open the oem vavles to be open 100% of the time and wasn’t satisfied especially when compared to the 981 GT4 that had a nice exhaust setup from oem in comparison

Almost all people know the first available exhaust mod available in the market for the 718 GT4 was (over-axle pipes or mid pipes)
I had to choose Akrapovic titanium due to:
- sound of titanium is more pitched than SS
- lighter weight
- price was competitive
- had an exhaust heat shielding built in.
resulted in:
better sound with zero drone and no heat at all. Performance wise i cannot comment as to be fair didn’t feel any in the straight but worth it for a person who wants more and better sound overall without being concerned with CEL lights as well didn’t regret buying them.
then went for headers (with SWAINTECH white lightening coating) prevent heating the engine in the track and have a better consistent power which worked perfectly, i didn’t mind having CEL with this as it will give me the biggest jump in power + lighter weight + will give a throaty sound of the GT4 engine since i race my car mostly in the track and drive occasionally in the street (its not my daily)i wouldn’t mind if this will give drone as well and the oem exhaust still intact in fact helped in almost a zero drone but the the car felt held a little in the straight when passing the 160km mark
Later when cobb releases their update and i have a tune from BGB i will remove CEL for sure.
Completed 7000km with this two set-ups and was loving them, the car had an improved power and greater sound overall with ALMOST a Zero drone it wasn’t there ....
I felt that i when replacing my exhaust may cause the biggest jump in sound volume and didn’t like the oem valve being open @4K so i knew when i change my exhaust i will hack the system these 2 things were needed to complete the final stages of my own setup.
There were many exhaust companies for the exhaust and each of them had their own features, i’m not the type of person who’s biased but want to be fair, and give the credit were the credit is due.
Imho Soul went to great lengths and made to many different versions of the perfect setup specifically for the 718 GT4 i think they mentioned more than 20 or 30 protoypes they made just to create the best exhaust that suits almost every person who wants to change the exhaust for the GT4.
i now completed more 10k overall of trial of this full setup ,3k with exhaust with the rest of the set-up and words can’t explain how HAPPY i choose them.
- sound waw (though not titanium) but it changed the sound that its felt its not the typical heard from a 718 GT4s.
- has its own valves and operates quite mode and loud mode. Loud mode is really loud if not same as their race exhaust its near that level.
quite mode is amazing quite in my catless setup, but now negative are drone is little present inside the cabin from 2-2.8k in which every one is talking about, the muffler system did helped tuning down the drone but to be honest its there lightly but for me not at all annoying and from the outside sound level is WAY DOWN. almost near levels when it had only over-axles, surprisingly its not droning in loud mode, i suspect happend in quite due to the freed exhaust air hitting the closed valves pathway causing little vibrations in the back system maybe i’m wrong.
please don’t forget that i drive with catless headers which the exhaust wasn’t designed in this different setup. Meaning if it were just an exhuast it will have no drone and will be mild loud.
i think imho most people will be satisfied with Soul valved exhaust as a starting point if they are satisfied great but for those who wants power like me and prefer it more than sound to begin with race catted or catless headers and so on.
i could’ve written this in Soul development post but saw this as a greater benefit to the community and can’t thank John enough his company deserves a lot of credit and made systems that really made changes to their users.

P.S. its very hard to judge sounds from youtube videos, in reality its so different and environment plays a huge role in differing the volume and tune (like a garage or near buildings...etc) so for the people who listen to judge don’t base the judgment 100%
i was one of those people before and bought exhuast systems based on listening sound clips using an expensive headphone for my previous cars (audi R8, GTR R35 and others) and was surprised in reality its not the same!

The following 2 users liked this post by alwaysdriving:
metalone (03-28-2021), Soul Performance (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 09:11 PM
jacksot
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alwaysdriving
Before i began explaining everything let me say (to each his own) the sound volume and tune depends on MANY factors with pro and cons of each path, at the end of the day we cannot agree on a single best solution that fits all people but from every stage of changing a part of the exhaust i will explain to every person who begins to mod to know what his choice results would be.
and i’m the type who likes hearing sounds in sport cars and love them in supercars.

from day one i forced open the oem vavles to be open 100% of the time and wasn’t satisfied especially when compared to the 981 GT4 that had a nice exhaust setup from oem in comparison

Almost all people know the first available exhaust mod available in the market for the 718 GT4 was (over-axle pipes or mid pipes)
I had to choose Akrapovic titanium due to:
- sound of titanium is more pitched than SS
- lighter weight
- price was competitive
- had an exhaust heat shielding built in.
resulted in:
better sound with zero drone and no heat at all. Performance wise i cannot comment as to be fair didn’t feel any in the straight but worth it for a person who wants more and better sound overall without being concerned with CEL lights as well didn’t regret buying them.
then went for headers (with SWAINTECH white lightening coating) prevent heating the engine in the track and have a better consistent power which worked perfectly, i didn’t mind having CEL with this as it will give me the biggest jump in power + lighter weight + will give a throaty sound of the GT4 engine since i race my car mostly in the track and drive occasionally in the street (its not my daily)i wouldn’t mind if this will give drone as well and the oem exhaust still intact in fact helped in almost a zero drone but the the car felt held a little in the straight when passing the 160km mark
Later when cobb releases their update and i have a tune from BGB i will remove CEL for sure.
Completed 7000km with this two set-ups and was loving them, the car had an improved power and greater sound overall with ALMOST a Zero drone it wasn’t there ....
I felt that i when replacing my exhaust may cause the biggest jump in sound volume and didn’t like the oem valve being open @4K so i knew when i change my exhaust i will hack the system these 2 things were needed to complete the final stages of my own setup.
There were many exhaust companies for the exhaust and each of them had their own features, i’m not the type of person who’s biased but want to be fair, and give the credit were the credit is due.
Imho Soul went to great lengths and made to many different versions of the perfect setup specifically for the 718 GT4 i think they mentioned more than 20 or 30 protoypes they made just to create the best exhaust that suits almost every person who wants to change the exhaust for the GT4.
i now completed more 10k overall of trial of this full setup ,3k with exhaust with the rest of the set-up and words can’t explain how HAPPY i choose them.
- sound waw (though not titanium) but it changed the sound that its felt its not the typical heard from a 718 GT4s.
- has its own valves and operates quite mode and loud mode. Loud mode is really loud if not same as their race exhaust its near that level.
quite mode is amazing quite in my catless setup, but now negative are drone is little present inside the cabin from 2-2.8k in which every one is talking about, the muffler system did helped tuning down the drone but to be honest its there lightly but for me not at all annoying and from the outside sound level is WAY DOWN. almost near levels when it had only over-axles, surprisingly its not droning in loud mode, i suspect happend in quite due to the freed exhaust air hitting the closed valves pathway causing little vibrations in the back system maybe i’m wrong.
please don’t forget that i drive with catless headers which the exhaust wasn’t designed in this different setup. Meaning if it were just an exhuast it will have no drone and will be mild loud.
i think imho most people will be satisfied with Soul valved exhaust as a starting point if they are satisfied great but for those who wants power like me and prefer it more than sound to begin with race catted or catless headers and so on.
i could’ve written this in Soul development post but saw this as a greater benefit to the community and can’t thank John enough his company deserves a lot of credit and made systems that really made changes to their users.

P.S. its very hard to judge sounds from youtube videos, in reality its so different and environment plays a huge role in differing the volume and tune (like a garage or near buildings...etc) so for the people who listen to judge don’t base the judgment 100%
i was one of those people before and bought exhuast systems based on listening sound clips using an expensive headphone for my previous cars (audi R8, GTR R35 and others) and was surprised in reality its not the same!

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Hearing your experience makes me look forward to adding the Soul valved exhaust to my Akra OAPs that much more. I'll be keeping the stock manifolds and cats so will hopefully be a nice balance of sound and streetability.
The following 3 users liked this post by jacksot:
alwaysdriving (03-29-2021), DM_718 (06-20-2022), Soul Performance (03-29-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 10:07 PM
horns
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramon Vennik
Never noticed a drone below 3800 rpm.
For dust issues, use these screws
What specific cap are you using o. The valve side to keep moisture, etc from getting in the valve solenoid?
Goodwood (03-29-2021)

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?