Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 05:44 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by blabus
I'm curious though, do you think this exhaust note is achieved only by the exact combination of Akrapovic OAP + Cargraphic Racing X-pipe, or is most of the high-pitched tone coming from the Cargraphic X-pipe? In other words, could I get a similar exhaust note by using a Soul OAP + Cargraphic Racing X-pipe?
The rear section is what dictates the pitch and quality of the sound. Straight through OAP just raises the volume and drone of it all.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:50 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,474 Likes on 918 Posts

I have the Soul race exhaust with resonators, I like the sound once on the revs but need to modulate the throttle when in the 2K to 2.8K rpms band.
This is definitely not the exhaust for those that are worried about drone or volume...and I still haven't installed the race headers!
So far, there are no shortcuts here......you either get the sound or the power...or just live with the stock exhaust.

The Cargraphics looks like a nice compromise, the Soul valved rear section could also be another good option.
The idea of some kind of resonator on the OAP is good...Kline have them but you have to get their whole system.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:04 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMo
Anyone combined Equal length headers with 200 cell cats + Stock OPF + Xpipe ?
I've a Fabspeed lightweight competition replacement , and was thinking about the setup like Dundon or JCR have, until I saw the Fabspeed headers with Rennkraft cats, the specs and the price and the option of keeping the OEM OPF ....
Old 03-26-2021, 09:11 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ramon Vennik
I've a Fabspeed lightweight competition replacement , and was thinking about the setup like Dundon or JCR have, until I saw the Fabspeed headers with Rennkraft cats, the specs and the price and the option of keeping the OEM OPF ....

Cargraphics had this option on the 981...you could get a test pipe to replace the HJS cats for track days......it's a nice compromise.
The header design does look nice and equal length but in Race setup the collector is way up front and I would personally prefer the collector as far back as possible for max power gains...of course with these you can always put back the cat.
IMO having cats or no cats wont impact the volume/drone/tone as much as the OAP and rear section.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:32 AM
Ramon Vennik
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
Cargraphics had this option on the 981...you could get a test pipe to replace the HJS cats for track days......it's a nice compromise.
The header design does look nice and equal length but in Race setup the collector is way up front and I would personally prefer the collector as far back as possible for max power gains...of course with these you can always put back the cat.
IMO having cats or no cats wont impact the volume/drone/tone as much as the OAP and rear section.
Just my thoughts, keeping the OEM OPF is preferred, along with the extra ponies (30+) on the header replacements.
But I've to wait until my connecting rods are replaced to hear the drone/tone ...
Old 03-26-2021, 09:56 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

I am loving the existing setup i went with on the new car. I realize however it's not for everyone given the off-road intentions and lack of cats and OPF. I have zero drone though anywhere. I had a customer drive 2 hours to the shop and i let him go on a drive with the car and he came back and ordered the same exact setup. He said "that's how it should sound from the factory" except Wray and i got with Cargraphic and had them revise their offering to include heat wrap, etc.

Cargraphic has a catless manifold and a 200 cell cat in the OPF housing that they also offer.

I guess the best advice i can give anyone is as follows...you have to find someone that has the config you want and you have to listen to it but i think that we all forget that on the interstate the car lives in dronetown at 80mph in 7th car for the PDK folks. It's not as had for the 6-speed folks but still. The less restriction the reduced temp of the exhaust gas allows the car to make decent power without having to restrict it via IGN correction. You're freeing up heat and increasing flow and making power BUT if you hate the sound of it, then it's maybe not worth it. If your significant other / codriver hates it, then it def has to go.

- John

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 03-26-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:40 AM
rzspyder
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Way too f****** loud!

I will probably take the Soul OPFs off and put the OEM back... its imply too loud under any throttle and once the valves open ... well there might as well not be any
exhaust ... not quite Harley LOUD ... but pretty unpleasant after a while ...

I dont know how you guys with race exhausts can stand the noise ... I expect "incoming" from the neighbors when I head out to Sonoma at 6am tomorrow when I start the car and
the valves open ...
Sorry to hear that. I’m pretty sensitive to very loud sound, but think Akra + OPF delete with valves closed isn’t that loud. When cruising you shouldn’t be getting more than 78 dB inside, and on WOT has a peak of ~87 dB with valves closed.
Are you sure the valves aren’t always open? I had this problem once. Valves were always open and the loud sound was skull shattering.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:15 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I am loving the existing setup i went with on the new car. I realize however it's not for everyone given the off-road intentions and lack of cats and OPF. I have zero drone though anywhere. I had a customer drive 2 hours to the shop and i let him go on a drive with the car and he came back and ordered the same exact setup. He said "that's how it should sound from the factory" except Wray and i got with Cargraphic and had them revise their offering to include heat wrap, etc.

Cargraphic has a catless manifold and a 200 cell cat in the OPF housing that they also offer.

I guess the best advice i can give anyone is as follows...you have to find someone that has the config you want and you have to listen to it but i think that we all forget that on the interstate the car lives in dronetown at 80mph in 7th car for the PDK folks. It's not as had for the 6-speed folks but still. The less restriction the reduced temp of the exhaust gas allows the car to make decent power without having to restrict it via IGN correction. You're freeing up heat and increasing flow and making power BUT if you hate the sound of it, then it's maybe not worth it. If your significant other / codriver hates it, then it def has to go.

- John

Hi John! Agreed 100%....on the highway I have to either keep them below 2200 or above 2800....but since this is not my daily I don't mind, not so sure about my significant other
The most extreme exhaust setups (no cats/ no OPF and minimal rear section) look good on paper on the power side but if you are not tolerant on drone/volume and drive a lot around town this setup may not be the best option.
BTW...the Cargraphics Race headers are going in next weekend...will let you know on that......Neighbors are so happy!!!!!
Old 03-26-2021, 11:52 AM
Momentum Worx
Former Vendor

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
I have the Soul race exhaust with resonators, I like the sound once on the revs but need to modulate the throttle when in the 2K to 2.8K rpms band.
This is definitely not the exhaust for those that are worried about drone or volume...and I still haven't installed the race headers!
So far, there are no shortcuts here......you either get the sound or the power...or just live with the stock exhaust.
The engine at full chat with both the SOUL Competition Headers and Race Exhaust is insane. It's awesome. But you are correct, it's definitely not for those with NIMBY neighbors.

We'll have SOUL 718 GT4/Spyder/4.0 Resonated Race Exhausts and Competition Headers arriving late next week here at the shop, and 718 GT4/Spyder/4.0 OAPs and street headers will be a couple more weeks behind those. We also have a few 718 GT4/Spyder/4.0 Valved Exhaust Systems incoming as well, but they're 7 weeks out at this point.

If anyone is interested in anything we have incoming, send me a PM, text or email. Happy to reserve anything for anyone who's looking to get on the short list and skip the long wait.

Last edited by Momentum Worx; 03-26-2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:50 PM
*LongFella81
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Sub'd
Old 03-26-2021, 01:39 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,398 Likes on 2,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Way too f****** loud!

I will probably take the Soul OPFs off and put the OEM back... its imply too loud under any throttle and once the valves open ... well there might as well not be any
exhaust ... not quite Harley LOUD ... but pretty unpleasant after a while ...

I dont know how you guys with race exhausts can stand the noise ... I expect "incoming" from the neighbors when I head out to Sonoma at 6am tomorrow when I start the car and
the valves open ...
Larry, was it too loud?

What was it about the stock system that you didn't like?
Old 03-26-2021, 02:26 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 287 Posts

Put an order for JCR for their non-silenced, megaphone tips... just couldn't get over their videos. Won't probably hear from them until Monday.

Johnny did say they are working on new silenced OPFs as well.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:03 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by josephr25
Put an order for JCR for their non-silenced, megaphone tips... just couldn't get over their videos. Won't probably hear from them until Monday.

Johnny did say they are working on new silenced OPFs as well.
you made the right choice my only recommendation is to keep the valves connected and use PSE stock. It works perfectly with JCR exhaust.
The following 2 users liked this post by DocMo:
964C4 (03-24-2022), josephr25 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 03:31 PM
josephr25
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by DocMo
you made the right choice my only recommendation is to keep the valves connected and use PSE stock. It works perfectly with JCR exhaust.
Yes I am going to use the stock system. I am going to see what he is going to say about their new upcoming OPF delete pipes... or if their existing titanium OPF deletes are ok.

My car is my DD and I only drive on the highways... while a relatively noisy cabin it's nowhere near intolerable. Then again I'm a guy who skips the earplugs at an IMSA/WEC/F1 race
Old 03-26-2021, 03:42 PM
lm1z
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Foggy916
I have the race resonated version on my Spyder. For me, I do not find the drone that bad with top down. Top up, it's more noticeable but I rarely drive top up. Doesn't bother me on the highway. You will definitely feel a power (hp and torque) increase. If it was me and I had the extra $, I would take a closer look at the newer valved version since you get nearly the same sound and performance of the race version but the benefit of using the PSE and valves to tame the drone. However, if you don't mind a little drone with the top up, you can't beat the value and simplicity of the race version. Not sure where you're located but see if someone might be willing to give you a demo....I'm in north Dallas and am willing to offer a listen to a fellow RL.
I'm actually looking at the same setup. If you're willing, would love to meet up over the next few weeks to see what it's like. I'm looking for loud Also have a 718 Spyder.

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?