Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 09:43 PM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 75 Posts

Drone will be a deal breaker to me. I have been there before. It gets old quickly regardless of how good the top end sounds. I will end up selling the whole system. If my car only sees the track, it would be fine but it is not.

Perhaps the cargraphics touring would be a good option. Cut some weight, solidify the sound etc.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:46 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mb996
Yes, drone with either; honestly I don’t notice much difference valves open or closed in general except under very hard acceleration. The drone is easy to avoid by downshifting to get above the drone rpm. At highway speeds it’s not an issue, and over 3000 rpm, the sound is glorious.

Thanks a lot for the info. I don’t think I cruise around at 2000 anyway. Usually always around 3000 at the least.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:52 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by Rex C
Drone will be a deal breaker to me. I have been there before. It gets old quickly regardless of how good the top end sounds. I will end up selling the whole system. If my car only sees the track, it would be fine but it is not.

Perhaps the cargraphics touring would be a good option. Cut some weight, solidify the sound etc.

Good point. Anyone have a cargraphics touring installed they can comment on? Sound quality? Drone?
Old 01-23-2021, 11:21 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,991 Likes on 2,275 Posts

I'm going to make pivot on my exhaust direction. I was going to go with the Soul race exhaust and then a catted header but now I'm going to do the Akra TI pipes with catless headers. That way, I'll get max power and the intoxicating sound once I go over 4k RPM like I got with my catless heads on my 981 GT4.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:12 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by VVG
..........my top pick is Cargraphic with their resonated OAPs and..............
Not seeing any reference their OAP-delete pipe is resonated. This is what I'm seeing:
Cargraphic OAP-delete for RoW

Is there a different model?
Old 01-24-2021, 11:11 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by mb996
Yes, drone with either; honestly I don’t notice much difference valves open or closed in general except under very hard acceleration. The drone is easy to avoid by downshifting to get above the drone rpm. At highway speeds it’s not an issue, and over 3000 rpm, the sound is glorious.
Quite surprised by this, we have over 100 of these systems out there and not one single piece of feedback regarding drone of any kind with the rear only changed.

Are you running OPF pipes also?

JC

/
/ / JCR PORSCHE \ \ \

contact@jcr-developments.com

Facebook | Instagram | Youtube
Old 01-24-2021, 03:34 PM
mb996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Quite surprised by this, we have over 100 of these systems out there and not one single piece of feedback regarding drone of any kind with the rear only changed.

Are you running OPF pipes also?

JC
No just the exhaust.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:02 PM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Sound quality and tolerance to drone are highly subjective. Sometimes, it may be difficult to admit to having drones after spending $5k on an exhaust. I have done that myself, though in the end, I got rid of it after weeks of struggle.

I just don't like the sound of the stock exhaust because it sounds raspy. The two mufflers are working independent of each other when the valves are open. I think that's part of the reason why the 981 sounds better than 982 in my opinion.

Last edited by Dorian C; 01-25-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:13 PM
NiteCrawlr
Racer

Originally Posted by Rex C
Sound quality and tolerance to drone are highly subjective. Sometimes, it may be difficult at times to admit to experiencing drones after spending $5k on an exhaust. I have done that myself, though in the end, I would got rid of it after weeks of struggle.

I just don't like the sound of the stock exhaust because it sounds raspy. The two mufflers are working independent of each other when the valves are open. I think that's part of the reason why the 981 sounds better than 982 in my opinion.
Yeah I heard the 981 gt4 for the first time a few weeks ago and it does sound marvelous. I wonder if there is an exhaust solution which just makes the 982 sound like a stock 981.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:39 PM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
Yeah I heard the 981 gt4 for the first time a few weeks ago and it does sound marvelous. I wonder if there is an exhaust solution which just makes the 982 sound like a stock 981.

The other part is the OPF filter but from what I have gathered, that filter serves as a filter AND a resonator. Replacing it increases the volume but not necessarily improve the quality of the sound.

I am no expert in sound but I appreciate certain tone and note. Take The Aston Martin V8 Vantage as an example. Most think the stock exhaust sounds great - V8, Aston can't be bad yada yada. I think it sounds like ****. Very raspy. GT3 always sounds awesome. high pitch, composed, never sounds like something is about to break and fall off. That's what i was hoping for.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:55 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteCrawlr
The short answer is no, they will never sound exactly the same for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is they are different motors that only share the flat 6 architecture. If you are chasing that target it will always be out of your reach.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:08 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

The 718 GT4 exhaust is basically a skinny restrictive muffler with escaped hatches on either side of it to open for the PSE. With the 981 GT4, you have an individual right and left muffler with all exhaust gases passing through those mufflers. Regular has baffles and PSE is more or less straight through the muffler. Until you have most if not all gasses passing through some form of a muffler and mixing through an x-pipe, you are not going to get that type of elusive sound we are all looking for. There are some options out there now, we just need to have a few of them installed and have people do write-ups on them and share some videos. Just adding an OAP does not in any way fix this problem.

Last edited by lovetoturn; 01-25-2021 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
metalone (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 07:50 PM
Dorian C
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
The 718 GT4 exhaust is basically a skinny restrictive muffler with escaped hatches on either side of it to open for the PSE. With the 981 GT4, you have an individual right and left muffler with all exhaust gases passing through those mufflers. Regular has baffles and PSE is more or less straight through the muffler. Until you have most if not all gasses passing through some form of a muffler and mixing through an x-pipe, you are not going to get that type of elusive sound we are all looking for. There are some options out there now, we just need to have a few of them installed and have people do write-ups on them and share some videos. Just adding an OAP does not in any way fix this problem.

Can't agree more. OPF = poor quality sound, OAP alone = louder poor quality sound. Again, my opinion from watching youtube videos
Old 01-25-2021, 08:01 PM
lovetoturn
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 512 Posts

I agree, most videos out there don't sound too good. I think one of the best ones so far is the 45 second one in post #56. Not sure which version that is, though and I would assume by the volume that there is an OAP involved here. Lets home metalone's CG / Akra combo works out well.
The following users liked this post:
metalone (01-25-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 09:27 PM
jacksot
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
I agree, most videos out there don't sound too good. I think one of the best ones so far is the 45 second one in post #56. Not sure which version that is, though and I would assume by the volume that there is an OAP involved here. Lets home metalone's CG / Akra combo works out well.
Post #56 is originally from Sausage416 with a Cargraphic Race X-Pipe and an OPF delete. Original post. Sounds great imo.
The following 2 users liked this post by jacksot:
964C4 (11-18-2021), metalone (01-25-2021)

Quick Reply: Has anyone found an exhaust solution they absolutely love?