Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 01:55 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I think this might be the reason why you're not having good luck with your Michelin tires. You mentioned they were 4 years old. These kind of tires are not really meant to last that long and without knowing the weather they've been used in, it's hard to estimate what their shelf life is. If you're in Canada and using the car in the summer months but storing them away in the below freezing winter months for 4 years, that will also not help the tires.

Keep in mind, just because some people drive their cars like 2500 miles a year and the tires "last" 5 or 7 or even 10 years, doesn't mean that the tires are good even if they look visible "ok" from the outside. The rubber could have deteriorated and the end result is, you're driving on tires where the rubber compound has deteriorated but the tires look visibly ok.
I can compare them to bridgestones though.

I have a set of re11a's on a set of rims still from 2013. they still have good grip, haven't weather cracked. I have a set of Bridgestone S001 RFT's I just changed out. they're the OE tires off my 335i, they were manufactured in 2012, no weather cracks, could still launch that car without engaging TC, and that car does 0-60 in sub 5 seconds whereas the miata is like 7+ seconds probably. Both sets of bridgestones are stored in cold temps over winter. Exposed to the sun all summer. I have a set of re71r's that are about 4 years old also and got the same poor winter storage treatment for the last 2 years. They grip just about as good as new, and I know that because I bought only 2 new tires for them to put on the front of the car last month and it is still balanced on the ragged edge of driving. If the grip was affected the car would be unbalanced and want to drift every corner.

So after 8 years a bridgestone which should be more susceptible to temperature and environment changes still functions fine, whereas a michelin performance all-season can't even make it to the 4 year mark. Michelin is just not a cutting edge tire manufacturer. They're always playing catch up with technology and over price their products. The only reason I see to buy michelins is because some cars the sizes are wonky, and michelin makes a lot of weird sizes of tires so if your choices are michelin, continental, pirelli... I'd pick teh michelins. And now I get a pretty good discount on michelins usually so they're fairly cheap to me. cup2s are crazy cheap compared to the dunlops for example, and dunlops aren't great either for longevity too (their grip can fall off pretty hard over time/heat cycles on their summer tires) so I'll likely be sticking with cup2s unless bridgestone gives us re71rs's in gt4 sizes.
Old 07-10-2021, 01:49 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 834 Posts
Originally Posted by Zhao
Michelins….. I dislike Michelins. They always separate for me. And they turn into hockey pucks in no time. My last set of Michelins (AS3) I had were dumpster fire level hot garbage before they hit 80% tread left and were only about 4 years old. TC could be engaged leaving a stop light with 160hp, complete tire separation on all 4 tires between every tread block. That is absolutely pathetic.

Plus, these reviewers experience them when they’re brand new and aren’t really allowed to say anything negative and they might be getting money to say stuff. A chrysler PT cruiser actually won car of the year by one major car reviewer. So did the cirrus. So did the fusion. All giant piles of garbage. Pretty sure those reviews weren't honest.
Originally Posted by halfmonkey
I think this might be the reason why you're not having good luck with your Michelin tires. You mentioned they were 4 years old. These kind of tires are not really meant to last that long and without knowing the weather they've been used in, it's hard to estimate what their shelf life is. If you're in Canada and using the car in the summer months but storing them away in the below freezing winter months for 4 years, that will also not help the tires.

Keep in mind, just because some people drive their cars like 2500 miles a year and the tires "last" 5 or 7 or even 10 years, doesn't mean that the tires are good even if they look visible "ok" from the outside. The rubber could have deteriorated and the end result is, you're driving on tires where the rubber compound has deteriorated but the tires look visibly ok.
I can compare them to bridgestones though.

I have a set of re11a's on a set of rims still from 2013. they still have good grip, haven't weather cracked. I have a set of Bridgestone S001 RFT's I just changed out. they're the OE tires off my 335i, they were manufactured in 2012, no weather cracks, could still launch that car without engaging TC, and that car does 0-60 in sub 5 seconds whereas the miata is like 7+ seconds probably. Both sets of bridgestones are stored in cold temps over winter. Exposed to the sun all summer. I have a set of re71r's that are about 4 years old also and got the same poor winter storage treatment for the last 2 years. They grip just about as good as new, and I know that because I bought only 2 new tires for them to put on the front of the car last month and it is still balanced on the ragged edge of driving. If the grip was affected the car would be unbalanced and want to drift every corner.

So after 8 years a bridgestone which should be more susceptible to temperature and environment changes still functions fine, whereas a michelin performance all-season can't even make it to the 4 year mark. Michelin is just not a cutting edge tire manufacturer. They're always playing catch up with technology and over price their products. The only reason I see to buy michelins is because some cars the sizes are wonky, and michelin makes a lot of weird sizes of tires so if your choices are michelin, continental, pirelli... I'd pick teh michelins. And now I get a pretty good discount on michelins usually so they're fairly cheap to me. cup2s are crazy cheap compared to the dunlops for example, and dunlops aren't great either for longevity too (their grip can fall off pretty hard over time/heat cycles on their summer tires) so I'll likely be sticking with cup2s unless bridgestone gives us re71rs's in gt4 sizes.
Guys, for the most part I don't really get into trying to convince another person/persons on doing what I do.
The reason is actually very simple.
People do as they wish just like I do as I wish.
So why would I ever in a million years think I should expect another person/persons to do as I do or for me to Tell/Suggest to others to do as I do.

With the above being said I'll share what one of the largest Professional tire retailer has said on the Michelin PS4S tires in regards to some of the Very well known Vehicle-Manufacturers in the World below.

The TIRERACK

The Pilot Sport 4S is Michelin's Max Performance Summer tire developed in cooperation with some of the most demanding vehicle manufacturers,
including Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche
to utilize key technologies engineered during competition in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
It was designed for serious drivers looking to maximize the performance potential of their sports cars, performance sedans and powerful luxury vehicles.
The Pilot Sport 4S excels in warm dry and wet conditions, so like all Max Performance Summer tires,
is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Select sizes of the Pilot Sport 4S are available with Michelin's Premium Touch sidewall treatment.
This velvet-effect checkered sidewall is created using cutting-edge laser technology and is designed to enhance the vehicle's visual presence.
These sizes are identified on the "Specs" page and in the search results.

The asymmetric tread pattern of the Pilot Sport 4S features side-by-side, 24 Hours of Le Mans-derived compounds.
The low-void outer shoulder utilizes a new dry-focused hybrid tread rubber for improved dry handling and braking over
the previous generation tire, while the center ribs and inboard shoulder feature a silica-infused wet compound designed
to increase wet braking performance. The computer-modeled Variable Contact Patch 3.0 optimizes pressure distribution
across the contact patch through turns, reducing hot spots and improving tire life during aggressive use.

Internal construction of the Pilot Sport 4S features twin steel belts reinforced by a spirally wound hybrid reinforcement.
This hybrid Aramid and nylon belt offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance
high-speed handling, wear and durability. Specifically tuning the application of the cord filament provides Michelin engineers
the ability to balance tension and strength, and a single-ply, polyester cord casing balances trade-offs between ride quality and responsive handling.

Limited sizes of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S are available with Michelin Acoustic Technology, which involves the manufacturer adhering
a layer of sound-absorbing foam to the inner liner of the tire to reduce cabin noise in the vehicle.
These sizes are identified on the Specs page and in the search results.

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures
of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures,
mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking.
Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Pilot+Sport+4S

Last comment on the choice of me going with the Michelin PS4S tires.
I have every confidence for my use and where I live in the USA they will work with no real issues.

But,
As I said and Repeat everyone should get what they choose just as I have.

Originally Posted by ausgang
So Terry --- are you really going to "keep your hands off it" after you take delivery?
I have my doubts.

BTW, the 15 knots/hr your ship is making does not count towards break-in.
She's riding a little high in the water. Maybe your gas tank is only 1/2 full....
ausgang,

Well as I posted more than once my wife (Cathy) did ask me to promise her I'd not go down that Very-very Super-Slippery modifying road as I have since the Mid 60's.
I did give her my word and I think I can keep my word in regards to after I take the official delivery in hopefully August 2021.
However, being a Car-Nut that just can't ever just order a vehicle and not change or modify it.
This time I'm going about things in a totally different manner.
If you notice I did give my word "After" I take delivery.
I'm having Matt Giorgio my SA at Porsche of Nashville do everything for me through his Porsche Dealership and All 3RD Party Vendors.
So, the way I choose to interpret things with Cathy I'm actually 100% keeping my word.

Speaking of the Break-in miles .............
Cathy came up with a plan that I think will work for those Break-in-Miles.
She has so many days left for vacation that she is now only going to work 4-day weeks until 2022.
She is going to look at where we can take day trips that Do-Not include the interstate at all.
We will be driving on two-lane-roads so I can vary the speed and use Sport-Mode.
I think by doing as she has suggested I'll be able to put the Break-in-Miles on it using the Chart below.

Terry
Old 07-17-2021, 01:40 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up Talk about a HUGE-Surprise look below at what I saw last night ...

Guys,

I cannot even imagine that I was at the Right-Place at the Right-Time last night to see the below right in front of me.
I have Never-Ever even seen one of these Ever-ever-ever ..............
Even at night it looked FANTASTIC when seen and HEARD in person.

I jumped in the wife's Golf R for a Super-Quick McDonald's run which is like i-mile each direction from my house.
And what did I see ???
And believe me you could Definitely hear it from my driver's window being lowered as it was sprinkling rain.
You know this Really-really made my evening.
When he pulled out he turned left which would have taken him to the multiple Hotels just a few minutes away.

What an outstanding McDonald's run,
Terry
Old 07-17-2021, 01:44 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up Talk about a HUGE-Surprise look below at what I saw last night ...

Guys,

I cannot even imagine that I was at the Right-Place at the Right-Time last night to see the below right in front of me.
I have Never-Ever even seen one of these Ever-ever-ever ..............
Even at night it looked FANTASTIC when Seen and HEARD in person.

I jumped in the wife's Golf R for a Super-Quick McDonald's run which is like 1-mile each direction from my house.
And what did I see ???
And believe me you could Definitely hear it from my driver's window being lowered as it was sprinkling rain.
You know this Really-really made my evening.
When he pulled out he turned left which would have taken him to the multiple Hotels just a few minutes away.

What an outstanding McDonald's run,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-17-2021 at 01:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Elegant (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 02:30 PM
Elegant
Track Day

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Terry,

You are one lucky dog to have seen that incredible machine in person!
And, to have HEARD it!!

You should have followed him in hopes of being able to talk with the driver.
Oh, wait, then the hamburgers would have gotten cold.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 07-18-2021, 12:51 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Elegant
Terry,

You are one lucky dog to have seen that incredible machine in person!
And, to have HEARD it!!

You should have followed him in hopes of being able to talk with the driver.
Oh, wait, then the hamburgers would have gotten cold.

Cheers,
Tom
Tom,

I did consider following him as I'm confident he was going back to his Hotel just a few minutes away.
But ...............
It was sprinkling rain even worse and getting darker plus my food as you said would have been cold if I had done that.

I can say it was without doubt a very noticeable High-Performance Car and the exhaust sounded Bad-*** !!!
(Might have been aftermarket)

It was a striking Porsche for sure and I'm glad I saw and heard it in person.

Terry

Old 07-18-2021, 04:47 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
So why would I ever in a million years think I should expect another person/persons to do as I do or for me to Tell/Suggest to others to do as I do.

With the above being said I'll share what one of the largest Professional tire retailer has said on the Michelin PS4S tires in regards to some of the Very well known Vehicle-Manufacturers in the World below.

Last comment on the choice of me going with the Michelin PS4S tires.
I have every confidence for my use and where I live in the USA they will work with no real issues.

Terry
It is odd though that you put so much value in marketing brochures and reviews from the people trying to sell you the product, as well as their manufactured and cherry picked reviews, yet completely discount the experience and knowledge of people on this forum like they're trying to sell you amway or essential oils.

Corinthian leather or normal leather? I'm guessing Corinthian leather.
UncleDude (07-18-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 01:53 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

It is odd though that you put so much value in marketing brochures and reviews from the people trying to sell you the product, as well as their manufactured and cherry picked reviews, yet completely discount the experience and knowledge of people on this forum like they're trying to sell you amway or essential oils.

Corinthian leather or normal leather? I'm guessing Corinthian leather.
Actually since you haven't a clue who I am your making assumptions that are to me pointless.
At 76-years old and doing this since the mid 60's I think I can speak for what I think on my own.
But ..............
However when I do wish to see what other people have to say from a Professional Company like The Tire Rack I don't really think all those people commenting are as you say (Cherry-Picked).

Michelin tires are top of the line and have been for a great many-many-many years.
As I said to each their own it's your monies spend it as you see fit and I certainly will do the same.

Have a good rest of the day and let's move on as the two of us are definitely not going to agree on tires that's for sure.

Terry
The following 2 users liked this post by tigerhonaker:
needmoregarage (07-19-2021), P-car-Vancouver (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 02:14 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 272 Posts

here is what a stunning racing yellow looks like outside in the wild!
P-car-Vancouver (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 02:23 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by Porsche444

here is what a stunning racing yellow looks like outside in the wild!
Porsche444,

Thanks for sharing as you know mine should be arriving next month on August 6th at Porsche of Nashville.

Say if you see this post ???

NOTE*
I just looked a lot closer at your GT4 and it's wheels and those are NOT the Bright-Silver-Wheels I don't think ..........

It looks like you have the Silver GT4 wheels ???
If you do are they actually a Bright Shiny ???
Just wondering ...........
Mine is going to have Ceramic Coating on the complete silver Wheels and I'm hoping that might add to their shine, hopefully VS them being a more Dull-Look.
In the pictures below they look Bright & Shiny that's why I'm asking the question ???

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-19-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:30 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

Porsche444,

Thanks for sharing as you know mine should be arriving next month on August 6th at Porsche of Nashville.

Say if you see this post ???

NOTE*
I just looked a lot closer at your GT4 and it's wheels and those are NOT the Bright-Silver-Wheels I don't think ..........

It looks like you have the Silver GT4 wheels ???
If you do are they actually a Bright Shiny ???
Just wondering ...........
Mine is going to have Ceramic Coating on the complete silver Wheels and I'm hoping that might add to their shine, hopefully VS them being a more Dull-Look.
In the pictures below they look Bright & Shiny that's why I'm asking the question ???

Terry

Here is pic of wheel when I picked her up. They are not shinny.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:40 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Question

Here is pic of wheel when I picked her up. They are not shinny.
Thanks for the Super Quick reply.

So, just so I'm not guessing are your GT4 wheels in the Silver including this last picture ???

Thanks for the assistance buddy,
Terry
Old 07-19-2021, 02:43 PM
Porsche444
Rennlist Member

So, just so I'm not guessing are your GT4 wheels in the Silver including this last picture ???

Terry
i looked on the build sheet, didn’t say anything about option, so it’s standard silver.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:29 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Terry
i looked on the build sheet, didn’t say anything about option, so it’s standard silver.
Below are the Porsche Cayman 718 Wheel choices from the Porsche build site.

Below is what you have.

Below is what I ordered.

Terry
Old 07-19-2021, 04:29 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post McLaren Senna & Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 on track ...

Guys,

I just turned on my Home Theater to see if there were any new GT4 videos.
I watched this one below and the guys had what I think were some Very-very positive Comments/Remarks on the GT4.

TRACKING THE MCLAREN SENNA & PORSCHE GT4!

Premiered 2 hours ago

Terry

Quick Reply: GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker