Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 03:17 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 929 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Are you saying that the car runs 20* cooler when in Sport Mode? Please explain and elaborate where this info came from because that sounds like a big difference. And you mentioned oil and water.Modern engines run much hotter for efficiency purposes than older cars. I have my doubts.
Yep, mine does. In cruise control on the freeway in normal PDK my oil runs around 247. Engage the sport and the water drops 20 degrees in around 15 seconds and the oil in about a minute. Turn the sport off and it climbs right back up. And yes you can lower the temperature by pushing the engine but since sport keeps the temps low always I just keep it engaged.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:28 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 577 Posts

Once up to full operating temp, I chose Sport and watched the coolant temp drop roughly 22 degrees in under 2 minutes.
I didn’t see much drop in the oil temp - maybe it takes longer to respond and I was toward the end of my drive.
I did observe the coolant temp creep upward slowly to a temp of about 10 degrees cooler than original full operating temp.

I’ve not seen any reference to this phenomenon in the owner's manual or the “driving on a race circuit” manual.

My husband watched an AP video regarding the 2016 GT4 and AP talked about sport mode lowering the coolant temp. Might have been a video posted at PCA.org but he’s not certain as it was several years ago.

Last edited by needmoregarage; 07-02-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:55 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,865 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Well that's very cool! I guess it makes sense since running hotter is good for better MPG but cooler is good for more HP. It's incredible what they can control with computers chips. Now if we could only get computer chips! LOL
Old 07-03-2021, 01:22 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
halfmonkey,

Thanks for the additional comments/information on the Sport-Mode I'm sold on the use of it.

Below is from a New Thread you did yesterday.

I might have a suggestion on that Dust Issue as I do know all about that on Sports cars.
I'm in the beginning of the process as of yesterday with Matt my SA and the Parts-Manager at Porsche of Nashville.
You know me I don't mind sharing but I'm now on hold waiting to hear back from Matt in regards does his Parts Manager order the parts or do I order the parts.
My preference is that Porsche of Nashville does it all from Beginning to End but if that doesn't work this time around ???
Then I'll order the parts myself and simply either Drop-Ship to Matt or I'll just drive over and drop them off to him once they come in.

Point is, Stay-Tuned for that in-depth information to come as soon as I can share ...............

Terry
halfmonkey,

See below information on what I decided to do in regards to the EXCESSIVE BLACK brake-dust issue on the GT4.
(Note* my GT4 will NOT be on any Track period so my solution is for my Street-Driven-GT4)
I personally Hate that ^^^ and on all my performance cars I have had the stock brake pads changed to the Low-Dust-Pads from a variety of manufacturers.
The 2021 GT4 from all I have read state the Brake-Dust produced is a Nightmare to deal with.
And the harder you push the GT4 the Greater the Brake-Dust issue !!!

As always I'm simply posting what I have decided to do and what I'm NOT doing is suggesting much less telling anyone else what they Should do or Not do.

Choose The Right Brake Pad | Hawk Performance

I have been asked about which ship mine is on.
Below is what I see from the Link Matt Giorgio my SA sent me this evening.
Other than what you see below I don't have a clue guys, sorry.

Summary
Where is the ship?
Vehicles Carrier RCC PRESTIGE is currently located at UKC - UK Coast & Atlantic at
position 49° 44' 20.472" N, 14° 24' 48.096" W as reported by MarineTraffic Terrestrial
Automatic Identification System on 2021-06-28 13:40 UTC (4 days, 14 hours ago)

Where is this vessel going to?
The vessel departed from EMDEN, DE on 2021-06-25 23:01 LT (UTC +2) and is currently
sailing at 15.1 knots with West direction heading to HALIFAX, CA with reported
Estimated Time of Arrival at 2021-07-04 19:00 LT (UTC +2) local time (in 1 day, 12 hours )

What kind of ship is this?
RCC PRESTIGE (IMO: 9455715) is a Vehicles Carrier that was built in 2011 (10 years ago)
and is sailing under the flag of Bahamas.
It’s carrying capacity is 11196 t DWT and her current draught is reported to be 8.6 meters.
Her length overall (LOA) is 168.06 meters and her width is 28.04 meters.

Vessel Information
IMO: 9455715
Name: RCC PRESTIGE
Vessel Type - Generic: Cargo
Vessel Type - Detailed: Vehicles Carrier
MMSI: 311048300
Call Sign: C6YX4
Flag: Bahamas [BS]
Gross Tonnage: 36834
Summer DWT: 11196 t
Length Overall x Breadth Extreme: 168.06 x 28.04 m
Year Built: 2011
Home Port: NASSAU

To all those that in the above posts were discussing the use of Sport-Mode thanks for sharing.
It's for sure Very-very interesting to me and I would imagine other Rennlist members also.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-03-2021 at 02:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Elegant (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 01:47 AM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

halfmonkey,

See below information on what I decided to do in regards to the EXCESSIVE BLACK brake-dust issue on the GT4.
(Note* my GT4 will NOT be on any Track period so my solution is for my Street-Driven-GT4)
I personally Hate that ^^^ and on all my performance cars I have had the stock brake pads changed to the Low-Dust-Pads from a variety of manufacturers.
The 2021 GT4 from all I have read state the Brake-Dust produced is a Nightmare to deal with.

As always I'm simply posting what I have decided to do and what I'm NOT doing is suggesting much less telling anyone else what they Should do or Not do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQK4KoIuhc

Hawk Performance Braking Components

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOkEYTBMYa0

Summary
Where is the ship?
Vehicles Carrier RCC PRESTIGE is currently located at UKC - UK Coast & Atlantic at
position 49° 44' 20.472" N, 14° 24' 48.096" W as reported by MarineTraffic Terrestrial

The vessel departed from EMDEN, DE on 2021-06-25 23:01 LT (UTC +2) and is currently
Estimated Time of Arrival at 2021-07-04 19:00 LT (UTC +2) local time (in 1 day, 12 hours )

RCC PRESTIGE (IMO: 9455715) is a Vehicles Carrier that was built in 2011 (10 years ago)
It’s carrying capacity is 11196 t DWT and her current draught is reported to be 8.6 meters.

Vessel Information

To all those that in the above posts were discussing the use of Sport-Mode thanks for sharing.
It's for sure Very-very interesting to me and I would imagine other Rennlist members also.

Terry
Great news Terry! I’m hoping my car hitched a ride on the same ship as it entered Port of Emden on June 25 which is departure date of your ship. Otherwise mine will have to wait for the next ship
Bert
Old 07-03-2021, 08:38 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Terry, why does the recap from Matt say to remove TWO tires (not four)?
Congrats on the progress!
Old 07-03-2021, 03:11 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
Great news Terry!
I’m hoping my car hitched a ride on the same ship as it entered Port of Emden on June 25 which is departure date of your ship.
Otherwise mine will have to wait for the next ship
Bert
Hi Bert,

Say, maybe both ours will be traveling over the water together as a team.

I'm glad I finally have all the Changes now to Matt Giorgio my SA and he is totally on board and handling everything as always.

You know Cathy and I finally now realize that Next-Month if nothing happens to alter things we will be taking delivery of it.

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Terry, why does the recap from Matt say to remove TWO tires (not four)?
Congrats on the progress!
Hi Carol,

Thanks for the kind words on the progress.

Below will explain what you asked on the tires on the Itinerary.

Later guys,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-03-2021 at 03:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Elegant (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 03:23 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

^ahh…I see that I misinterpreted. I did a double take as it made no sense. Thanks and looking forward to updates.

When following the ship that carried my car, I realized that sometimes updates aren’t posted promptly. Try not to let it drive you crazy. I didn’t track it until it was a day outside of port and then there were delays and I realized later some of the progress updates were not timely.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:44 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
^ahh…I see that I misinterpreted. I did a double take as it made no sense.
Thanks and looking forward to updates.

When following the ship that carried my car, I realized that sometimes updates aren’t posted promptly.
Try not to let it drive you crazy.
I didn’t track it until it was a day outside of port and then there were delays and I realized later some of the progress updates were not timely.
You know this is going to seem so strange to some Rennlist members for sure.

I'm not even going to try to follow where the ship is.
My thinking is when it gets to wherever it's going then I'll know.
Same with the Transporting it from the Port on a Semi-Car-Carrier to Porsche of Nashville.
Matt Giorgio will be getting hold of me when it arrives for sure.
I'm not even going to go see it when it comes in.
I only wish to see it when everything is 100% completed and it's ready for Cathy & I to take it home.

If Cathy is calm and wishes to I'm going to let her actually drive it Home.
And that ^^^ does not mean I'm saying that she needs me giving her my permission ...........
I mean simply if she wants to be the 1st one in the driver's-seat and to drive it home that will be just fine by this Hubby guys.
I'll just make sure it's in the Sport-Mode so there's No-Way it can shift to 7th gear at some super-low-RPM.

You know as I have said and shared on this thread more than a few times I wouldn't have even been able to order the GT4 if it wasn't for my wife Cathy.
In-Fact for those that haven't seen where I said I am thinking about the 2nd year of the C8 Corvette honey and also I really like the New 2021 GT4 as you can order it for 2021 with that Bad-*** 7-speed PDK transmission.
Cathy said instantly something like and this is very close to her comment to me .............
Terry you've already had a bunch of Corvettes already and you have never kept any of them.
You should this time get some CLASS and order the Porsche GT4.
The only think I request is that you order it with everything you want and have the Porsche Dealership handle it all and when you get it I want your Word that you'll keep your "Hands-Off-It".

And the Rest-of-the-Story is exactly why I'm NOT changing any part of the GT4 Factory-Exhaust-System.

Love the Little-Lady she is without any doubt my savior,
Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-04-2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:52 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

halfmonkey,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQK4KoIuhc

Summary
Where is the ship?

Vessel Information

Terry
I had some inquires on did Porsche of Nashville parts Manager order the Hawk Performance Ceramic brake pads ???
No he did not as his preference is to only order Porsche OEM Certified parts.

Terry
Old 07-05-2021, 01:00 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Post Some additional videos on my choice of the Michelin PS4S tires ...

Guys,

The more I have read and seen from a number of videos I think I am going to be Very-very well satisfied with the Michelin PS4S tires on the GT4.

Below are some of the examples of what I have seen and all are positive on how the Michelin PS4S tires perform.

What was interesting to me is that the PS4S tires perform on the track almost as well as the Cup2 tires with a normal driver.
(Obviously as they stated with Professional-Drivers there would be a Greater time difference on the Track with the Cup2 tires.)

How Playful Is The Cayman GT4 On Cup2 vs PS4S Tyres?

Jul 2, 2021

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Is Simply The BEST Ultra High Performance Summer Tire On The Market!

Apr 16, 2021

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S * VS Cup 2 Connect * - Track Shootout Test

Jun 21, 2021

Terry
Old 07-09-2021, 11:49 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Smile Last parts just arrived at Porsche of Nashville ..........

Well the good news is the last parts just arrived at Porsche of Nashville yesterday.
They are sitting on my SA desk as seen in the pictures below.
So, no brake dust issue to deal with once mine arrives next month and the Hawk Ceramic Brake Pads are installed.
Hey Terry,

Yes, parts just dropped them off at my desk.
It’s all coming together!

Best,
Matt Giorgio
Porsche Brand Ambassador
Porsche of Nashville
1580 Mallory Lane
Brentwood, TN 37027

Dealership: 615-647-3200
Direct: 615-647-3142
Cell: 615-604-8525
Fax: 615-647-3192

Terry

Old 07-09-2021, 02:25 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,707 Likes on 944 Posts

Michelins….. I dislike Michelins. They always separate for me. And they turn into hockey pucks in no time. My last set of Michelins (AS3) I had were dumpster fire level hot garbage before they hit 80% tread left and were only about 4 years old. TC could be engaged leaving a stop light with 160hp, complete tire separation on all 4 tires between every tread block. That is absolutely pathetic.

Plus, these reviewers experience them when they’re brand new and aren’t really allowed to say anything negative and they might be getting money to say stuff. A chrysler PT cruiser actually won car of the year by one major car reviewer. So did the cirrus. So did the fusion. All giant piles of garbage. Pretty sure those reviews weren't honest.
Old 07-09-2021, 02:38 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,796 Likes on 862 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
Michelins….. I dislike Michelins. They always separate for me. And they turn into hockey pucks in no time. My last set of Michelins (AS3) I had were dumpster fire level hot garbage before they hit 80% tread left and were only about 4 years old. TC could be engaged leaving a stop light with 160hp, complete tire separation on all 4 tires between every tread block. That is absolutely pathetic.

Plus, these reviewers experience them when they’re brand new and aren’t really allowed to say anything negative and they might be getting money to say stuff. A chrysler PT cruiser actually won car of the year by one major car reviewer. So did the cirrus. So did the fusion. All giant piles of garbage. Pretty sure those reviews weren't honest.
I think this might be the reason why you're not having good luck with your Michelin tires. You mentioned they were 4 years old. These kind of tires are not really meant to last that long and without knowing the weather they've been used in, it's hard to estimate what their shelf life is. If you're in Canada and using the car in the summer months but storing them away in the below freezing winter months for 4 years, that will also not help the tires.

Keep in mind, just because some people drive their cars like 2500 miles a year and the tires "last" 5 or 7 or even 10 years, doesn't mean that the tires are good even if they look visible "ok" from the outside. The rubber could have deteriorated and the end result is, you're driving on tires where the rubber compound has deteriorated but the tires look visibly ok.
The following 3 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
P-car-Vancouver (07-10-2021), sanderabernathy (08-11-2021), tigerhonaker (07-10-2021)
Old 07-10-2021, 12:12 AM
ausgang
Racer

Received 386 Likes on 161 Posts
Talking

So Terry --- are you really going to "keep your hands off it" after you take delivery?
I have my doubts.

BTW, the 15 knots/hr your ship is making does not count towards break-in.
She's riding a little high in the water. Maybe your gas tank is only 1/2 full....
The following 2 users liked this post by ausgang:
P-car-Vancouver (07-10-2021), tigerhonaker (07-10-2021)

Quick Reply: GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker