Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 11:47 AM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 802 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Another vote for WAZE.
It’ll let you configure your trip without using toll roads or highways.
It’s also decent for LEO sightings but usually better for that on heavily traveled routes.
Same with warnings for construction.

Glad your SA is keeping you well informed of the progress
Carol,

I'm going to have to read up on WAZE as I never even heard of it until here on Rennlist.

I have for sure an excellent SA Matt at Porsche of Nashville for sure.
Matt also had his Parts-Manager order the things I wanted for the GT4 as well as he has exactly what the Service-Department will be doing.
He has all the 3rd party vendors/shops scheduled and also back up schedules if needed.
So, here where I live the Professional Shops stay back up for months.
Thankfully Porsche of Nashville uses all the shops my GT4 will be going to for work so Matt personally knows what their work is like.
We discussed which shop or shops to use and we both agreed on the ones we both agreed on as they are the best.

I was glad you did receive your New Porsche already and liking it.
Congratulations .............

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 06-28-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:32 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Carol,

I was glad you did receive your New Porsche already and liking it.
Congratulations .............

Terry
Thank you. Just over 500 miles so far. Absolutely LOVE the PDK snd glad I made that choice. I was doubting myself until I began to drive it. I know it’ll be even better once I get it broken in and I venture into higher revs.

I am happy with the LWB and know them well as I e had them since my Cayman R and first GT4. I believe the P1 Designs inserts will increase the comfort and ease of ingress/egress. Can’t wait to RS receive them!

Il’ll follow your updates!

Last edited by needmoregarage; 06-28-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:34 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
Thank you. Just over 500 miles so far. Absolutely LOVE the PDK snd glad I made that choice. I was doubting myself until I began to drive it. I know it’ll be even better once I get it broken in and I venture into higher revs.
C,

I am happy with the LWB and know them well as I e had them since my Cayman R and first GT4. I believe the P1 Designs inserts will increase the comfort and ease of ingress/egress. Can’t wait to RS receive them!

Il’ll follow your updates!
500 miles and all is A-OK and will no-doubt get even better and more exciting when you can do the Really-really serious High RPMs

I have seen the P1 Designs inserts and I agree I think not only will they look Killer but certainly add to the comfort-Level.

Later,
Terry
Old 06-30-2021, 02:17 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,865 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Bill,

You know I have had so many New vehicles since starting back in Mid 60's after returning from Vietnam.
And some of those I did do some sort of break-in.
But ................
Nothing even remotely close to what Porsche is saying needs to be Done & Closely-Followed with the GT4 for 2,000 miles.
Honestly, recently I have Seriously considered simply driving mine but not taking it to Red-Line at 8,100 RPM.

As time goes by and like you have Posted above with that guy's chart I'm thinking that might very well be the way to go.

Well my Good-Man, at 1st I was going to follow the Porsche Guidelines for the 2,000 miles Break-in exactly to the letter and No-Variance.
But ..............
I'm 76-years old, retired, and being serious I don't drive hardly any real miles now and haven't for some years.
Examples,
New Challenger Hellcat I had for 2-years it had like 2,000 miles on it.
New Audi RS-3 for like 2-years and it had like 2,048 miles on it.
So, as I think this over and try to not kid myself into thinking I'm going to all of a sudden Magically going to start driving all over the place.
It's going to take me forever to put 2,000 miles on the GT4 and also to keep it below 4,000 RPM !!!
So, where does this put me for what I'm actually going to do with mine ???

I think I can live with the Chart above and actually adhere to it.
1,000 miles is a lot based on my two previous New cars but if I push things and make it more of a necessity I think I could put the 1,000 miles on mine and not take a year in doing so.
What remaining Family I have left are in Frankfort, KY and Sadieville, KY.
That's approximately like 4-Hrs. & 230 miles 1-way.
So round-trip would be ......... 460-miles so if I simply can figure out how Not to use the interstates for going and coming ???
(Meaning No-Cruise-Control or Hours on hours at same 70-75 MPH)
Two (2) trips back to where my family is would do the trick plus obviously driving it here where I live in Franklin, TN.

If I don't change my mind I'm doing the Chart you Posted above and same one below.

Personally brother Bill to me one should be realistic and then there will be No-Disappointments !!!

Also, my wife Cathy is 9-years younger than me so she still is working.
She works at home for Cigna Ins. and just passed 25-year Anniversary with Cigna.
We converted one of the upstairs bedrooms years ago to an office for her.
My desk and computer is on one side and she is on the opposite side of the room.

I think I might see if she will go with me and maybe the two of us can figure out how to go using 2-lane roads with her help.
Maybe do a print-out that she can follow and tell me where to make the turns etc.
My wish and preference would be to use the Porsche Navigation if there was some doggone option for selecting No-Interstates ???

Terry
Regarding break-in and what Porsche suggests, I found this which looks to be from a Porsche manual. I'm surprised to see this: "Preferably take long trips." But this will certainly make the 1000 or 2,000 miles go by faster.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:22 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Regarding break-in and what Porsche suggests, I found this which looks to be from a Porsche manual. I'm surprised to see this: "Preferably take long trips." But this will certainly make the 1000 or 2,000 miles go by faster.

That I had not seen but I find it of interest for sure.
I might not be interpreting that correctly but it seems one can drive long-distances as long as you don't use Cruise, lug-the-engine, and keep the RPM below 4,000.
And of course not to keep the Speed/RPM at the exact same place for hours and hours and hours.

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-01-2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:28 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Well, other cars' break-in procedure says not to use cruise control and run at same engine speeds, but this does not say that. My personally, I plan to take long drives and vary engine speeds (by using different gears on highway every 10-15 min) as well as vehicle speeds (by varying speed every 10-15 min or so). Then about once an hour, stop and let it cool off for a bit.

But what I get from these instructions is that it's super important not to lug an engine, not to rev over 4,000 RPM, and especially not do those things when cold. But I do think 2,000 miles is just ridiculous. However, keep in mind that this is talking about the entire car, not just the engine, as evidenced by the last paragraph talking about steering.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:33 PM
P-car-Vancouver
Pro

Received 696 Likes on 324 Posts

Hi Terry
Just got word my Boxster GTS finished production June 25th and is also at the port of Emden awaiting shipment. We might end up on the same boat after all, at least until Port of Halifax. Do you know yet which ship yours is on? My SA could not tel me yet.
Bert

Last edited by P-car-Vancouver; 07-01-2021 at 02:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:43 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,796 Likes on 862 Posts

That I had not seen but I find it of interest for sure.
I might not be interpreting that correctly but it seems one can drive long-distances as long as you don't use Cruise, lug-the-engine, and keep the RPM below 4,000.
And of course not to keep the Speed/RPM at the exact same place for hours and hours and hours.

Terry
That is how I interpret it as well. Definitely not using cruise control and no short drives where the car doesn't have a chance to fully warm up. I only drive the car if I know I'll drive it enough to give it a full warm up cycle for all components. I knew not to go over 4k rpm because everybody talked about this on the forums but I didn't know about the lugging the engine part. This makes sense in general which led me to make my thread on the PDK and always leaving it in PDK sport now. I plan on leaving it in PDK Sport all of the time even after break in because I don't like the idea of lugging the engine from below 2k rpm in 7th gear like at 40mph.
The following 2 users liked this post by halfmonkey:
P-car-Vancouver (07-01-2021), tigerhonaker (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 12:22 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Well, other cars' break-in procedure says not to use cruise control and run at same engine speeds, but this does not say that. My personally, I plan to take long drives and vary engine speeds (by using different gears on highway every 10-15 min) as well as vehicle speeds (by varying speed every 10-15 min or so). Then about once an hour, stop and let it cool off for a bit.

But what I get from these instructions is that it's super important not to lug an engine, not to rev over 4,000 RPM, and especially not do those things when cold. But I do think 2,000 miles is just ridiculous. However, keep in mind that this is talking about the entire car, not just the engine, as evidenced by the last paragraph talking about steering.
I agree that 2,000 miles for a basically a car I will only drive when I feel like it and the weather is not Crappy.
It would take me a heck of a longggggggggg time to drive it 2,000 miles.

Originally Posted by P-car-Vancouver
Hi Terry
Just got word my Boxster GTS finished production June 25th and is also at the port of Emden awaiting shipment.
We might end up on the same boat after all, at least until Port of Halifax.
Do you know yet which ship yours is on? My SA could not tel me yet.
Bert
Bert,

I haven't asked Matt my SA on what ship as I think he will automatically share that with me when he sees that information.

Another reason I haven't bothered to ask him about which Ship is because I'm once gain adding something else for Porsche of Nashville to do to mine.
I just reached out to Matt yesterday so I'm waiting now to see if Matt's Parts Manager can and is willing to order what I chose.

I'll be sure to Post once I hear back from Matt on the Ship or the Latest/New parts I want.

Originally Posted by halfmonkey
That is how I interpret it as well. Definitely not using cruise control and no short drives where the car doesn't have a chance to fully warm up. I only drive the car if I know I'll drive it enough to give it a full warm up cycle for all components. I knew not to go over 4k rpm because everybody talked about this on the forums but I didn't know about the lugging the engine part. This makes sense in general which led me to make my thread on the PDK and always leaving it in PDK sport now.

I plan on leaving it in PDK Sport all of the time even after break in because I don't like the idea of lugging the engine from below 2k rpm in 7th gear like at 40mph.
halfmonkey,
I plan on leaving it in PDK Sport all of the time even after break in because I don't like the idea of lugging the engine from below 2k rpm in 7th gear like at 40mph.

We are on the exact same page and thinking on this for sure.
I'm going to make damn sure mine is "Always" in Sport-Mode after seeing & reading what you have experienced driving your's.
In-fact I will be using Sport-Mode all the time even after the Break-In-Miles.
I cannot see any real reason not to use it.

The problem if I want to call it that is making sure I don't just jump in it for running Super-Short-Local-Errands where it's doubtful it would ever reach Full-Operating-Temperature !!!
I'm going to have to give this some additional serious thought .............
What I might do until it's gotten the Break-In-Miles is just drive it around and then do the errands that way I'll make damn sure the complete GT4 has reached Full-Operating-Temperatures for All-Mechanical Components.

BTW,
If you have any further comments on driving your's in the Sport-Mode I wouldn't mind at all you posting those here with me, buddy.

You know guys I'm going to share a thought with you.
Cathy and I just in the last day have now actually Totally-Realized we are going to more than likely actually take delivery of our GT4 next month (August).
Hard to believe fellows

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 07-02-2021 at 12:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
P-car-Vancouver (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 12:30 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 929 Likes on 434 Posts

And because the oil and water temperatures run 20 degrees cooler. I wish someone had caught that before I put the first 700 miles on my car. I now run it in sport always.
The following 2 users liked this post by clutchplate:
halfmonkey (07-02-2021), tigerhonaker (07-02-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 12:39 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clutchplate
And because the oil and water temperatures run 20 degrees cooler. I wish someone had caught that before I put the first 700 miles on my car. I now run it in sport always.
Well my Good-Man that definitely make three (3) of us for sure running ours in the Sport-Mode.

I should say, when I get mine that is.

Terry
Old 07-02-2021, 12:52 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,796 Likes on 862 Posts

halfmonkey,

We are on the exact same page and thinking on this for sure.
I'm going to make damn sure mine is "Always" in Sport-Mode after seeing & reading what you have experienced driving your's.
In-fact I will be using Sport-Mode all the time even after the Break-In-Miles.
I cannot see any real reason not to use it.

The problem if I want to call it that is making sure I don't just jump in it for running Super-Short-Local-Errands where it's doubtful it would ever reach Full-Operating-Temperature !!!
I'm going to have to give this some additional serious thought .............
What I might do until it's gotten the Break-In-Miles is just drive it around and then do the errands that way I'll make damn sure the complete GT4 has reached Full-Operating-Temperatures for All-Mechanical Components.

BTW,
If you have any further comments on driving your's in the Sport-Mode I wouldn't mind at all you posting those here with me, buddy.

You know guys I'm going to share a thought with you.
Cathy and I just in the last day have now actually Totally-Realized we are going to more than likely actually take delivery of our GT4 next month (August).
Hard to believe fellows

Terry
Originally Posted by clutchplate
I didn't actually know about the oil and water temps running 20 degrees cooler. The car has 3 radiators in the front. One in the center and two on the sides. I assume the middle is for the engine. What are the two on the sides for? Maybe when you engage PDK Sport, a valve is open and the two side radiators are used. Maybe this weekend, when I drive it I'll start off with NOT using PDK Sport and see what the temps get up to and then use PDK Sport and take note if the temps go down.

Terry, I use PDK Sport as part of my car start-up pre-flight check routine. Start the car, press the A.S.S., "binocular,' and PDK Sport button. With the PDK Sport, the car will usually rev up to about 3k to 4k rpm before it shifts. This is even when you just start up the car and drive off as gingerly as possible. I know you usually want to give the car and tranny a little bit of time to warm it up before going higher in the rev range but the alternative is not clicking PDK Sport and the car short shifts as fast as it can to 7th gear and before you know, you're in 7th gear driving down the road at 40mph. I take the PDK Sport scenario over the get-as-fast-to-7th-gear driving because I can always manually shift up at about 2500 rpm until the engine and tranny warm up.

Another thing to note is if you don't push PDK Sport, the car feels a little smoother because in PDK Sport, when you let off the gas and you're in the "correct" gear as if you're driving a manual transmission, the car does jerk a little. I don't know how to describe or if there is a real term but say if you're at 45 mph and you're in 4th gear and driving and then let off the gas with no brakes applied, the car jerks a little. If you don't have PDK Sport pressed and do the same, you won't necessarily feel the jerk because the car will be in 7th gear at 45mph so in that sense, it's a little "smoother."

Happy to hear that your car is around the corner. You're going to love putting on all those miles of smiles!
Old 07-02-2021, 01:10 PM
tigerhonaker
Rennlist Member

I didn't actually know about the oil and water temps running 20 degrees cooler. The car has 3 radiators in the front. One in the center and two on the sides. I assume the middle is for the engine. What are the two on the sides for? Maybe when you engage PDK Sport, a valve is open and the two side radiators are used. Maybe this weekend, when I drive it I'll start off with NOT using PDK Sport and see what the temps get up to and then use PDK Sport and take note if the temps go down.

Terry, I use PDK Sport as part of my car start-up pre-flight check routine. Start the car, press the A.S.S., "binocular,' and PDK Sport button. With the PDK Sport, the car will usually rev up to about 3k to 4k rpm before it shifts. This is even when you just start up the car and drive off as gingerly as possible. I know you usually want to give the car and tranny a little bit of time to warm it up before going higher in the rev range but the alternative is not clicking PDK Sport and the car short shifts as fast as it can to 7th gear and before you know, you're in 7th gear driving down the road at 40mph. I take the PDK Sport scenario over the get-as-fast-to-7th-gear driving because I can always manually shift up at about 2500 rpm until the engine and tranny warm up.

Another thing to note is if you don't push PDK Sport, the car feels a little smoother because in PDK Sport, when you let off the gas and you're in the "correct" gear as if you're driving a manual transmission, the car does jerk a little. I don't know how to describe or if there is a real term but say if you're at 45 mph and you're in 4th gear and driving and then let off the gas with no brakes applied, the car jerks a little. If you don't have PDK Sport pressed and do the same, you won't necessarily feel the jerk because the car will be in 7th gear at 45mph so in that sense, it's a little "smoother."

Happy to hear that your car is around the corner. You're going to love putting on all those miles of smiles!
halfmonkey,

Thanks for the additional comments/information on the Sport-Mode I'm sold on the use of it.

Below is from a New Thread you did yesterday.
For the PCCB, I created another thread where I said I don't regret not getting the PCCB
but maybe I have to move the needle a little more towards a little bit of regret
because the brake dust is crazy and I'm not even using the brakes
a lot
because with PDK Sport on 100% of the time, I get a lot of engine braking.
I might have a suggestion on that Dust Issue as I do know all about that on Sports cars.
I'm in the beginning of the process as of yesterday with Matt my SA and the Parts-Manager at Porsche of Nashville.
You know me I don't mind sharing but I'm now on hold waiting to hear back from Matt in regards does his Parts Manager order the parts or do I order the parts.
My preference is that Porshe of Nashville does it all from Beginning to End but if that doesn't work this time around ???
Then I'll order the parts myself and simply either Drop-Ship to Matt or I'll just drive over and drop them off to him once they come in.

Point is, Stay-Tuned for that in-depth information to come as soon as I can share ...............

Terry

Old 07-02-2021, 02:24 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 577 Posts

Regarding sport mode, before the engine reaching operating temp I simply short shift with the paddles to keep the revs where I want them.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:00 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Are you saying that the car runs 20* cooler when in Sport Mode? Please explain and elaborate where this info came from because that sounds like a big difference. And you mentioned oil and water.Modern engines run much hotter for efficiency purposes than older cars. I have my doubts.

Quick Reply: GT4 in Racing-Yellow ordered 12/29/2020 by Terry aka tigerhonaker