Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

C40 Oil Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2022, 05:22 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Regardless of the oil type discussion,you are still getting recycled oil from a barrel,that uses a gasoline pump style nozzle. Always a better experience at a local Porsche passionate indy or doing it yourself...
The following users liked this post:
Paiceyfan (05-24-2022)
Old 05-24-2022, 07:07 PM
Paiceyfan
Racer

Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks Halfmonkey...useful information...my nearest dealer is 80 miles away, but if I am passing in the future, worth noting...

Oh, by the way...when I picked up the car, I asked for a quart to take with me and they charged me for it...no kidding...

Last edited by Paiceyfan; 05-24-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:16 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Paiceyfan
Thanks Halfmonkey...useful information...my nearest dealer is 80 miles away, but if I am passing in the future, worth noting...

Oh, by the way...when I picked up the car, I asked for a quart to take with me and they charged me for it...no kidding...
Giving away free oil probably isn't standard procedure no matter how inexpensive a quart is compared to everything else Porsche so I wouldn't use my scenario as standard operating procedure but adding a little bit of oil if you get in the red I believe is something most if not all dealers are willing to do as a courtesy. At least this is what Porsche Monterey said to me and I believe my local servicing dealer said too if I ever needed a little bit of oil.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:52 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,783 Likes on 2,773 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Regardless of the oil type discussion,you are still getting recycled oil from a barrel,that uses a gasoline pump style nozzle. Always a better experience at a local Porsche passionate indy or doing it yourself...
Highly doubtful...
Old 05-24-2022, 11:33 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'm sorry, I don't get your point. Some dealers, usually larger ones, have bulk oil tanks that dispense the oil through a special nozzle that counts the quantity as it flows through. But the oil is not "recycled " as you state. It is delivered by a bulk oil truck into their storage tank. They get the oil they order. Now if you're saying it will be A40 and not C40, that is possible since C40 is still a small part of the mix for most dealers. However, if they are responsible they will either use quart bottles of the correct grade, or get another tank and pump system for the C40 (if it's available in bulk, might not be yet). But recycled? Nope. BTW, I was an oil/gasoline/fuels distributor for almost 40 years.

Last edited by Bill Mitchell; 05-24-2022 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:55 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
I'm sorry, I don't get your point. Some dealers, usually larger ones, have bulk oil tanks that dispense the oil through a special nozzle that counts the quantity as it flows through. But the oil is not "recycled " as you state. It is delivered by a bulk oil truck into their storage tank. They get the oil they order. Now if you're saying it will be A40 and not C40, that is possible since C40 is still a small part of the mix for most dealers. However, if they are responsible they will either use quart bottles of the correct grade, or get another tank and pump system for the C40 (if it's available in bulk, might not be yet). But recycled? Nope. BTW, I was an oil/gasoline/fuels distributor for almost 40 years.
I'm sorry for not trusting my 200K $ car to the place where they fill the oil from a drum barrel and charge 600$ to do it. I have heard too many stories about that bulk oil that is actually recycled. Whether that's true or not,perhaps you know better since you've been in the industry,I'm not contesting that...
Old 05-25-2022, 08:24 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

I'm not saying there aren't unscrupulous oil change places, but they are much fewer than in the past. And as for a Porsche dealer doing this, I highly doubt it, they have too much at stake to risk putting substandard oil in customer cars they are responsible for. Recycled oil is almost a thing of the past now too. Sure, do your due diligence wherever you get your oil changed, just as where you have any work done on your car, I think most of us are pretty careful about that, but beyond getting the wrong grade my biggest worry would be the lowest paid, newest employee in the shop doing the oil change and not tightening the drain plug. That's one reason I've always done my own changes. But even that is unlikely since a dealer being responsible for shoddy work would be subject to multiple, mega-buckks lawsuits.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:54 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Well,you can bet all your money that " the new guy " is doing the oil change in your expensive Porsche. They are called " lube techs " and they work in the " express lane ". That's all they do : oil changes and rotating tires. All dealers have them,including Porsche. Everyone has to start somewhere,I'm not here to bash them,but bear in mind that they do exist. And btw,it's not only about not tightening your drain plug,but about over filling/under filling(these cars don't have a dipstick and they do not show the oil level until fully warmed up). Sure,you can use the PIWIS 2 to read the oil level information off the oil level sensor,but I highly doubt a lube tech is going to do that. Also,some of these cars have 2 or multiple drain plugs,do they drain them all? Do they replace the washers? Do they torque them properly?
So my whole point is : people have been talking for pages and pages about C40/A40 spec,about oil brands etc...and in the end most will go to the dealer and pay ridiculous amounts of money for subpar service...not even knowing that the oil being put in their car comes from a drum barrel. And yes,the dealer might even give you a nice bottle of Mobil 1,I have even seen something as ridiculous as giving it to you in a special oil quart Mobil 1 pouch...
Old 05-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

^^^ At my Porsche dealer the servicing tech is the same guy that changes the oil in my car, a Gold Miester Porsche certified technician, maybe you need to find a better dealer?
Old 05-25-2022, 12:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Westcoast
^^^ At my Porsche dealer the servicing tech is the same guy that changes the oil in my car, a Gold Miester Porsche certified technician, maybe you need to find a better dealer?
I am sure that what I've described above is not 100% a general rule,there are plenty exceptions...
Old 05-25-2022, 12:32 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 865 Posts

When I took my car into service for the first time, I went on the dealer's website and looked at all of the service technicians working there. I went through all of the technicians' bios to find out which ones are certified gold technicians and when I made my appt, I requested the service advisor use the gold technician I selected. I don't know if this is standard operating procedure at all Porsche dealers but my dealer provides me a video to view of the service technician reviewing the car while it's on the lift.

Keep in mind, at least at my dealer when requesting a certified gold technician, you'll be charged more for labor rates.
Old 05-25-2022, 01:00 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

Haven't seen this posted yet. Straight from the horses mouth.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:27 PM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

@2XIPA Thanks for sharing, was this a brochure you got from the dealer? I would like to get a complete copy of it.

Regarding the 718, it is interesting to see the MY2019/MY2020 viscosity recommendations and the MY2021 and on separated out!
Old 05-25-2022, 02:14 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

@2XIPA Thanks for sharing, was this a brochure you got from the dealer? I would like to get a complete copy of it.

Regarding the 718, it is interesting to see the MY2019/MY2020 viscosity recommendations and the MY2021 and on separated out!
@Westcoast Yes found it on the parts department counter.

Last edited by 2XIPA; 05-25-2022 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2022, 09:33 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

^^ so what's the explanation for excluding the 5w-40 on a gt3 after 2020?

Quick Reply: C40 Oil Discussion