Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Front License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 07:27 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my take on the magnetic mount diy. I live in SoCal, and I frequently get ticketed, but only when parking on the street- so the plate needs to come off and on frequently. Went ahead and did this while I had the bumper off for the Rennline grill screens install on my 991.2 C4S. The bumper removal on a 991.2 is super easy and is documented well on this forum. My Quickjack rules!!!

I used some rare earth magnets with a hole in the middle and coated in epoxy that I bought off of Amazon for about $10. Used JB Weld Plastic Epoxy for bonding to the inside of the bumper, and a few stainless steel #6 screws, washers and locknuts to fasten to the license plate bracket. I opted to use the holes in the original front plate bracket since they are contoured to fit the contours of the bumper. I used some rubber furniture skids to add a little bit of cushion and resist slipping. This method results in a plate mount not sitting quite flush to the bumper, but that is what I wanted to reduce the risk of friction/marring of the bumper.

Bumper comes off easiy as a one-man job without the need to remove headlights

I was concerned about how much clearance there might be between the skin of the bumper and the rigid foam substructure behind it, however I didn't have any fitment problems with the magnets that were glued on the inside of the cover.

Magnets fastened with stainless steel screws and locknuts behind

Readily available rubber furniture pads

Identical magnets used on the receiving side of the bumper. 5 minute epoxy is the way to go! (after cleaning with isopropyl alcohol)

Plate mount slaps on and off with a nice padded thud. About 1/8" clearance between plate mount and bumper.

Last edited by mreloc; 01-01-2019 at 08:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mreloc:
GVIFlyer (12-25-2019), SeekeR1 (01-17-2021), socalva (09-09-2019)
Old 01-02-2019, 02:42 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Nicely done!
Old 01-03-2019, 02:23 PM
mreloc
Pro

Originally Posted by bwiele
Nicely done!
Thanks! Your excellent DIY inspired me.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:47 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the way you did it was an improvement on how I did it.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:40 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Nicely done

I think your method takes the execution to the next level and I would like to replicate. Have your experienced any issues with the install? The only potential issue may have been the strength of the magnet which was likely thinner than the OPs. Did you also use non magnetic grade stainless washers? I assume so as the magnetic field would shunt into the washer, but this would be still be ok if it was thin and became saturated.

Can you post some details of the materials you used, magnets and the hardware.

Thanks

Originally Posted by mreloc
Here's my take on the magnetic mount diy. I live in SoCal, and I frequently get ticketed, but only when parking on the street- so the plate needs to come off and on frequently. Went ahead and did this while I had the bumper off for the Rennline grill screens install on my 991.2 C4S. The bumper removal on a 991.2 is super easy and is documented well on this forum. My Quickjack rules!!!

I used some rare earth magnets with a hole in the middle and coated in epoxy that I bought off of Amazon for about $10. Used JB Weld Plastic Epoxy for bonding to the inside of the bumper, and a few stainless steel #6 screws, washers and locknuts to fasten to the license plate bracket. I opted to use the holes in the original front plate bracket since they are contoured to fit the contours of the bumper. I used some rubber furniture skids to add a little bit of cushion and resist slipping. This method results in a plate mount not sitting quite flush to the bumper, but that is what I wanted to reduce the risk of friction/marring of the bumper.

Bumper comes off easiy as a one-man job without the need to remove headlights

I was concerned about how much clearance there might be between the skin of the bumper and the rigid foam substructure behind it, however I didn't have any fitment problems with the magnets that were glued on the inside of the cover.

Magnets fastened with stainless steel screws and locknuts behind

Readily available rubber furniture pads

Identical magnets used on the receiving side of the bumper. 5 minute epoxy is the way to go! (after cleaning with isopropyl alcohol)

Plate mount slaps on and off with a nice padded thud. About 1/8" clearance between plate mount and bumper.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:00 PM
mreloc
Pro

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
Nicely done

I think your method takes the execution to the next level and I would like to replicate. Have your experienced any issues with the install? The only potential issue may have been the strength of the magnet which was likely thinner than the OPs. Did you also use non magnetic grade stainless washers? I assume so as the magnetic field would shunt into the washer, but this would be still be ok if it was thin and became saturated.

Can you post some details of the materials you used, magnets and the hardware.

Thanks
Thanks- this solution has worked out really well for me. These are the magnets I used
Amazon Amazon
but I don't have specifics on the other parts other than they were #6 stainless screws, nuts, and small washers from Lowes. Don't worry about the hardware degrading the attraction of the magnetic pull...the rubber furniture pads are about 1/8" thick- I'd say they are the biggest detractor of the magnetic force, but even so, they still hold very well- I had mine on the highway yesterday just fine. The plate mount that comes with the car has a nice notch already cut into it that makes it very easy to auto-center on the bumper and I can just slap this thing on and off in a second.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:23 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks for the details, I went ahead and ordered the same magnets.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs up Magnetic tag holder works well!

Originally Posted by bwiele
I had seen a thread on the 6Speed forum years ago where someone had used rare earth magnets to attach their front license plate bracket rather than screws or the very unattractive off-center, parking sensor complicating tow hook solution. I always wanted to do this, so my plan was figure out what I would need and then glue the magnets to the inside of the bumper when I took it off to install the Rennline front grilles that I was planning to get.

As I posted in another thread, I ended up visiting Rennline last week so they could do a final test fit of their screens for the 991.2 GTS. In anticipation of that, I reached out to a company called K&J Magnetics (kjmagnetics.com) to get a recommendation for what size and strength of magnets I should use. We decided on 4 of each of these:

Part numbers are BX084BR-N52 AND DC6BR-N52 and they are rubber coated.

I then took the stock license plate bracket:

I roughed up the areas where I planned to place the magnets (very close to where the screws would go) with a little sandpaper:

And then used some 3M 5200 Black Marine Epoxy to secure the magnets to the plate (if I were to do this again, I would use JB Weld Epoxy instead of the 3M Epoxy because the 3M stuff takes SEVEN DAYS to cure. Lucky thing I was planning ahead:

Two other things I would do differently after going through the full install process: don't put too much epoxy on top of the magnet, I ended up having to sand it down to get the plate to sit flush. Additionally, the lower 2 magnets should be moved up 1/2"-1" higher because the plastic center fill insert partially blocked where I had put them.

While the bumper was off for the fitting of the grilles, I used the JB Weld (which sets in 5 minutes and fully cures in an hour and is readily available on Amazon or in the store) to attach the inside magnets.

You can see in this picture where we had to "field modify" the plastic insert to notch it where I needed the magnets to go based on where I put them on plate bracket:

I let the JB Weld cure and grabbed a bite of lunch, then the bumper was put back on and voila:

After sanding down the epoxy on the back of the mounting plate, this sits exactly flush as if it were screwed on and the strength of these magnets is really impressive. It takes a pretty good tug to get the plate off. The person on 6Speed that did this said he had driven over 100mph with this plate on the front and there's no sign that it ever moved at all. The bracket has a guide to automatically center the plate on the car, so it's easy to find the center. I've only driven locally with mine so far, but I'm pretty comfortable that this will only come off when I want to pull it off. I'll update this thread from time to time confirming that I still have a front plate!

(I don't plan to leave it on most of the time. But when I travel in the area around NYC there's a higher risk of getting stopped. In 5.5 years of ownership of my Panamera I was stopped 3 times for not having the front plate on. Twice I was just given a warning, once I was given a ticket. I plan to just put it on when I'm in the higher risk areas, and if I'm stopped without it, I will just say that when I washed the car I forgot to put it back on, and would it make a difference if I just put it on now? Then take it out of the frunk and pop it on. We'll see how it goes!)

I hope others can benefit from this!

- Brian
One of the best solutions I've seen. Thanks for sharing! I had European Luxury Performance in Cockeysville, MD pull my bumper and install Rennline radiator (right and left, no center radiator) screens for me. While there, I had them do the front magnetic license tag thingee. Works like a champ!

Plenty of other photos of the bumper off.

Lining it up with the guides.

Voila!
I purchased the rare earth magnets from the same place. The glue from Amazon. He said it was very easily done once the bumper was off to do the grills. By the way, though more expensive than some, the Rennline screens are great as well. Really do appreciate seeing how you did it.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:48 PM
991911c2s
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome job!
Old 06-05-2019, 03:40 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Is there a way to do this without removing front bumper? Is there some access panel for getting there either from the top or underneath?
Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
Is there a way to do this without removing front bumper? Is there some access panel for getting there either from the top or underneath?

I don't think so - it is literally a 35 minute job to get the bumper off, including jacking up the car and removing the wheels assuming you have stands, a jack, some torx bits and needle-nose pliers. There are some good guides on RL that show how to do it. Honestly, it is very easy.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:05 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Bumper off?

Originally Posted by Riz
No, there is not. To do this, the bumper must come off.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:44 PM
rwsteelers
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

No bumper removal necessary

Or there is this...no bumper removal
Old 07-04-2019, 10:36 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts
Default Front License Plate Hack #7...

Sorry to be such a HACK but I don't like putting anything on my bumpers or even up over them so I've been using Scotch All-weather double-sided tape to secure my front plates. Like some have done, with my 993, I drove it for 3 years without and no problem, but there still that constant "when am I getting pulled" that exists when driving.

With the new CT, it's a bit, errrr, RED, and feel it will attract a bit of attention. So I've done the following "Euro" Front License Plate Hack by bending the plate to thin out the appearance and attaching it to the centre grill area (blank, non-functional) with the double-sided tape and I think it looks pretty good. The tape is STRONG and the plate is not going anywhere.

Technically, I'm still "damaging" the front plate and can get a ticket for it. It that happens I think I'll just take it off, but in the meantime, I like the thinner look of it.

The following users liked this post:
Cityfisher (01-28-2024)
Old 07-04-2019, 11:05 AM
mreloc
Pro

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Sorry to be such a HACK but I don't like putting anything on my bumpers or even up over them so I've been using Scotch All-weather double-sided tape to secure my front plates. Like some have done, with my 993, I drove it for 3 years without and no problem, but there still that constant "when am I getting pulled" that exists when driving.

With the new CT, it's a bit, errrr, RED, and feel it will attract a bit of attention. So I've done the following "Euro" Front License Plate Hack by bending the plate to thin out the appearance and attaching it to the centre grill area (blank, non-functional) with the double-sided tape and I think it looks pretty good. The tape is STRONG and the plate is not going anywhere.

Technically, I'm still "damaging" the front plate and can get a ticket for it. It that happens I think I'll just take it off, but in the meantime, I like the thinner look of it.
Sooo I don’t understand how you’re able to pop the plate on and off in an instant with the double sided tape? I only want to display the front plate periodically when parked on the street etc when my car is most vulnerable to ticketing- thus the magnet solution.

Quick Reply: Magnetic Front License Plate Mount