Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Exhaust flap switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 07:29 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Received 510 Likes on 247 Posts

Does anyone know if it is possible to access the wire harness that controls the valves from underneath the car or does it have to be accessed from above?
Old 06-11-2020, 01:02 AM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mojonito
Nevermind. They advertised it worked. I purchased and tore apart my car. I emailed them today for support and they told me it doesn’t work that they changed the solenoid. Disappointed they didn’t tell me this before when I emailed lots of questions about the valve controller for my specific car. They don’t have a phone number to call so not great service either. Hopefully they will let me return it.
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 08:10 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojonito
Nevermind. They advertised it worked. I purchased and tore apart my car. I emailed them today for support and they told me it doesn’t work that they changed the solenoid. Disappointed they didn’t tell me this before when I emailed lots of questions about the valve controller for my specific car. They don’t have a phone number to call so not great service either. Hopefully they will let me return it.
Woah, glad I did not order that. I ordered the Cargraphic one, as I want the auto function.
FYI, They said its very bad to red line the engine with the valved closed. Makes sense. Theres is open / auto, or open / auto / closed.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:11 AM
kart125
Burning Brakes

Received 502 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Woah, glad I did not order that. I ordered the Cargraphic one, as I want the auto function.
FYI, They said its very bad to red line the engine with the valved closed. Makes sense. Theres is open / auto, or open / auto / closed.
From what I understand it is either always open OR OEM function... no "always closed" option. I'm considering this module also, unless someone comes up with a tune to make the OEM system keep the valves always open (I think SOUL Perrformance mentionned it in their thread that some guys are working on that!)
Old 06-11-2020, 11:23 AM
GAZZ
Pro

Originally Posted by kart125
From what I understand it is either always open OR OEM function... no "always closed" option. I'm considering this module also, unless someone comes up with a tune to make the OEM system keep the valves always open (I think SOUL Perrformance mentionned it in their thread that some guys are working on that!)
They have a 2 button and a 3 button remote, but the 3 button is not on their web site.
With OEM system I will run Open always.
With a loud after market exhaust system, I will run Auto mode as I expect open will be too loud for me. Then open at some tracks and closed at ones with noise limits.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:32 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by GAZZ
Is the 433Mhz Porsche Homelink compatible for duplicating the cargraphics remote?

Last edited by metalone; 06-12-2020 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:36 PM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by works_team
So, first impressions:
- more volume at idle (same as right after a cold start) and low rpm
- a bit more pops and bangs when lifting the throttle (not that much overall but I personally don’t need more of that)
- less of an audible transition between low rpm and high rpm, which is logical with the flaps open all the time.
- the less good thing is that my ears were buzzing when driving the car slowly or at least without pushing hard between around 2.5k rpm and a bit beyond 3k rpm. Not nice.

Overall satisfied of the change, but glad I took the route of a remote-controlled valve control vs having the valves open all the time as I have the feeling that this can become tiring under certain driving conditions.
Is the installation easy? how long took it?, did you need to threw cables for the energy or is an plug and play installation? any drilling?
Old 06-12-2020, 03:30 AM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
Is the installation easy? how long took it?, did you need to threw cables for the energy or is an plug and play installation? any drilling?
I took the safe/lazy option to pay a mechanic to do it for me. They billed me 2 hours of work. It seems to be more or less plug and play but you need to access the engine compartment first.
metalone (06-13-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 12:44 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR-Porsche
Stock exhaust with the valves unplugged just adds drone in the area of the curve that the valves would have been otherwise closed.

The design of the OPF assembly has a lot to answer for.

JC
Fully agree. Tried that and it was awful for me. Plugged the lines back in and now waiting for the cargraphics valve controller.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:40 PM
metalone
Racer

Originally Posted by DocMo
I just did the valves mod (unplugged both hoses).
I really like it under 4000 rpms. Valves are always open, it’s 15%-20% louder than before.
You hear the downshifts a little more now. Is it a radical change: NO. Is it better: YES. Low end torque; I didn’t notice any change.
I suspect a very subtle resonance at highway speeds (80mph in 6th gear).
Bottom line: worth it. I’d recommend doing it on a lift (takes 20 min). See below how I attached the hoses
Today I went to look my Spyder from underneath. So the steps are removing exhaust plastic diffuser and then just pulling the hose shown in the picture below?

This will come off easily or you have to apply force?
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2020, 04:42 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by metalone
Today I went to look my Spyder from underneath. So the steps are removing exhaust plastic diffuser and then just pulling the hose shown in the picture below?

This will come off easily or you have to apply force?
Thanks!
Yes you can pull them with your hands they will come off easily. Also to plug back if you decide, just put them back on the nipple.
metalone (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 04:53 PM
DocMo
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tdlondon
Yes you can pull them with your hands they will come off easily. Also to plug back if you decide, just put them back on the nipple.
I added some tape to avoid any dirt gets inside.
should take 15min
metalone (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 10:51 PM
Mojonito
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by works_team
I am picking it up this morning and will report :

do you happen to have some pics of where the unit is plugged in?
Old 06-23-2020, 02:16 AM
works_team
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Nope, sorry
Old 06-23-2020, 04:28 AM
GAZZ
Pro

How does one get those covers off?

Quick Reply: Exhaust flap switch