Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Exhaust flap switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 08:13 AM
s2kspyder
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Before I pull the line, don’t I have to get the flap opened by running the car with the exhaust button on? Can I turn off the car so it is not too hot? Or pull the line while running?
Old 07-17-2020, 07:16 PM
Dbridges
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

The previous description worked great for me! The valves are normally open so when the vacuum lines are removed, they are already open. It is pretty easy to remove the vacuum lines and insert the M6 grub screw even without being on a lift or jackstands. I did it by hand (although on one side it did came off quickly as I was forcing it, and I have a bloody knuckle to show for it!). Suggest that you do it when the car is cold; much easier to touch/feel what you're doing. Enjoy the music.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:57 PM
blraider97
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

How did those of you who used the vacuum line unplugging method with no lift see where to plug the line back in? Completely based on feel? A little nervous that I’ll be able to pull off the lines, insert the grub screws and then not be able to reattach the vacuum lines. The online pics and graphic of the engine and exhaust are helpful in seeing where everything attaches but it does make me a bit nervous not being able to see where the nub on the valve is actually at (nor can I get my hands up to that area). Any tips are greatly appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Motoss (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 03:58 PM
metalone
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 70 Posts

yup, feel based.. although I had lifted the car previously to locate everything.. but is not needed . as long the car is completely cold, you can feel everything..
Old 08-15-2020, 02:23 AM
blraider97
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Ended up doing the vacuum line mod with the grub screws and actually like the sound. There is a hint of resonance between 2-2.5k RPM in certain situations but it doesn’t bother me given that I wanted the car to sound more robust below 4K. And the fact that I only take the GT4 out for spirited drives, usually by myself (my happy place), and don’t care to listen to music while doing so makes it completely acceptable. I believe the next step is Soul over-axle pipes - no other reasons for Soul other than I have buddies that have been very happy with them on other p-cars so figured I’d give it a shot. In the interim, I recommend yanking those vacuum lines, screwing in some M6 grub screws, reconnecting and enjoying more of that sweet n/a engine.

I’ve mentioned here before but I came from a tuned C4S that was basically my dream car. I can’t tell you how much more I enjoy the GT4 despite the additional torque and somewhat added practicality of the 991.2. . I will without a doubt get a GT3 or GT3RS at some point but right now I’m enjoying the current car about as much as I ever thought I could enjoy a car. It’s a long-term keeper.
Jim Rockford (08-15-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 12:02 AM
RyuBraska
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tdlondon
yep, 370 was what I paid. It’s easy. You press and hold the button you want to program until the red light blinks, then you go to the front of the car and press And hold the button of the remote until the turn lights blink 3x and it’s done.

Of the whole part of the process the most annoying is by far the installation. You have to disassemble half of the car to get to the top of the engine, and then you need tiny hands to get to the solenoid connector almost underneath the intake manifold.
How much time did it take you to install?
Old 08-16-2020, 01:34 PM
GAZZ
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a new mod method which may be easier.
Get some single strand steel wire and tie the flap control arm so its fixed to the open position ( Engine off will have the open position).
I twisted a bit to the arm, looped it to the otherside and back and then twist joined the two ends. Make it tight.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:12 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by RyuBraska
How much time did it take you to install?
I'd say close to 3 hours in total... the most laborious is disassembling the whole car to get access to the engine bay.
Then you need to get good light in there to see and fish the original solenoid connector, pry it out and connect the cargraphics connector. Then again 45-60 min to close and put the interior back together.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:38 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

I'd say close to 3 hours in total... the most laborious is disassembling the whole car to get access to the engine bay.
Then you need to get good light in there to see and fish the original solenoid connector, pry it out and connect the cargraphics connector. Then again 45-60 min to close and put the interior back together.
That's the part I'm concerned about...

Did you find a good set of instructions on how to do it? Janko's video is quite useful but it's for a Spyder and there seems to be some differences with the GT4
Old 08-17-2020, 09:37 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

That's the part I'm concerned about...

Did you find a good set of instructions on how to do it? Janko's video is quite useful but it's for a Spyder and there seems to be some differences with the GT4
No... the instructions that come with the product are horrible, nearly worthless. I found this one video of a guy disassembling a cayman with an annoying music on the background, but honestly didn't see anything on a Spyder. I'd imagine it's close enough to a Boxster 981 no?
Old 08-17-2020, 11:46 PM
RyuBraska
Racer

No... the instructions that come with the product are horrible, nearly worthless. I found this one video of a guy disassembling a cayman with an annoying music on the background, but honestly didn't see anything on a Spyder. I'd imagine it's close enough to a Boxster 981 no?
Do you have a link to the video by any chance? I also have a GT4
Old 08-18-2020, 12:11 AM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Do you have a link to the video by any chance? I also have a GT4
sure this is the one:

it’s a 981 cayman but it’s very similar. The only thing was I needed to remove the aluminum brackets that hold that brushed aluminum bar on the back of the engine bay to access the 2 torx screws that are tough to access with a ratchet.
RyuBraska (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:27 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Great thread, marked for future reference.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:57 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

The only thing was I needed to remove the aluminum brackets that hold that brushed aluminum bar on the back of the engine bay to access the 2 torx screws that are tough to access with a ratchet.
You can access them if you get a "small ratchet".
I actually got this to help:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BUJXQJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BUJXQJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- it's a mini 1/4in bit ratchet that is small enough to fit and loosen the torx screws under those brackets.
tdlondon (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 01:54 PM
tdlondon
Rennlist Member

Deleted

Last edited by tdlondon; 08-20-2020 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust flap switch